Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Good evening folks. Well here is my first “narration” read. I start my training this week for narration. I am just flying by the seat of my pants on this one haha! Any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Thanks for the positive feedback you guys 🙂

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Kate, very good!!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn – nice read! Very clear and with good flow, and appropriate emphasized words. Good job!

Mary

mrtripo9
        Participant

Great read , I can certainly learn from this

RYoung
    Participant

I am using new equipment, finally got away from my USB mic. Tring out this Scarlett Solo Studio package 3rd generation, any comments are welcome!

The Power of True
    What do we mean when we say “the power of true”?
    The core of it starts with curiosity. Because everything starts with curiosity. It’s the rocket fuel of creative ideas and bold thinking.
    What does curiosity look like in action? It looks like what we do at Fleishman Hillard, every day.
    When clients come to us, we embrace their challenges. We listen, we explore, we empathize, we learn. Insights and solutions bubble up from there…grounded in who we are as an agency and who we are as human beings: confident, honest, diverse, real . . . true.
    This is our purpose – – to be bold . . . and to stay true. Our clients can do amazing things with that in this complex world. With our help, they can take risks, inspire, grow, break through, disrupt industries, and make a transformative impact on the world.
    Pretty powerful, right?
    Be Bold. Stay True.
    This is what we mean by the Power of True.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Thanks to all for your feedback!

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi RYoung!

You have an easy listening style of voice — it was a nice read!

I, too, would echo some other comments here, and be mindful of tone, and upward pitch where not needed.

Kathy

SuperLuke
        Participant

Awesome! I like the “go-with the flow” easy-going feel in your performance.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi RYoung! Very nice! You have such a nice warm voice that is easy to listen to. Very good flow and pauses where needed throughout. Good job!

Mary

svenbot5000
      Participant

Wow I love your voice! It’s perfect for something like this. I would recommend playing around with the tone and pace when you’re describing who human beings are to keep it from sounding flat. Great job!

colleen
      Participant

R-
      This is a well-written script…and I thought you sounded clear & professional and have a nice rich vocal tone. I thought the read was a bit fast and heard upward inflections on the word “curiosity” both times in line three and the word “true” at the end of line six, as well as elongations of other words that made it seem a bit choppy and not super-confident sounding. Looking forward to hearing your final version of this!
      ~colleen

mrtripo9
    Participant

OK ! I thought I should give this a shot , This is CNN! James Earl Jones!
    please take it easy on me if I ruined it..lol

Attachments:
      reeyab
      Participant

I totally got the James Earl Jones vibe from this! Your pitch matches him quite well. I think your accent could be a great asset as well, it’s very unique (I have so much family in England but I’ve never heard anything quite like yours – such a cool sound). I agree that maybe working a bit more on getting the vowel sounds a little more distinct in the word “world” would strengthen this a lot. Other than that I thought it was great and you definitely didn’t ruin it!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by reeyab. Reason: typo
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi mrtripo9!

You didn’t ruin it! You have that deep tone like James Earl Jones — just with a British accent! I think with a little practice with the enunciation, you have a great voice for promo work!

Good job! I look forward to listening to more of your reads!

Kathy

mrtripo9
        Participant

Thanks , I am focusing my training on enunciation /diction , thanks again Kathy

SuperLuke
          Participant

I liked it. It was cool to hear James Earl Jones’s/ Darth Vader’s voice with a British accent. Judy keep practicing with what you want to enunciate better.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Mrtripo9! I like the deep warmth of your voice. I too had trouble understanding “world’s” but other than that it sounded great!

Mary

colleen
      Participant

Beautiful rich voice & tone…but I also had trouble understanding your pronunciation of “world’s”.

mrtripo9
        Participant

Thanks Colleen , am always on the look out for yr feedback here.

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Wow this is so fancy! Great bass tone in your voice. For a few plays I couldn’t understand “world’s” but I also don’t know how Mr. Earl Jones speaks. I’d love to hear more from you 🙂

mrtripo9
        Participant

Thanks kate , I just hired a diction coach to help out….lol ,

RYoung
      Participant

Is that your native British accent? If it is you should flout it, I would die for an English accent, maybe try some narration-story telling. Good luck and thanks for sharing that.

mrtripo9
        Participant

Thanks RYoung, I appreciate the nice words. Yes ! its my natural accent , some people say its hard to understand my read. I am hiring a diction/accent coach to help out. What do you think?

kfvoice
    Participant

Hi everyone! Upload of homework practice from the narration script library.

I noticed “aboard” did not come out very clearly in my read. What other feedback and critiques you got for me?

Thanks again!

Kathy

eLearning/Education

American Airlines

Welcome aboard American Airlines coast-to-coast service. We’ll be happy to do everything possible to make your flight with us a most pleasurable experience. We’ll provide you with all the information you need to know about your flight, your destination, and the equipment on which you are currently flying. In addition, we are proud to present our American Airlines feature film presentation, for our transcontinental passengers. We’d like you now to remove the plastic insert found directly in front of you in the seat back pocket. Please review the safety information during the flight for your own protection, in the unlikely event of an in-flight emergency.

Attachments:
      mrtripo9
      Participant

Amazing read, this sounds like its ready for release, i totally agree with Robert, for a minute i felt i was in a plane. Good job

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Wow, that was really good. You had me trying to buckle up in my chair here, lol.

kfvoice
        Participant

Too kind, Robert, thank you!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Kathy! Good read. I too am hearing some nasalness, but it may just be your accent / normal speaking voice that is unique to you. Good pacing and enunciation on the script throughout. I realize this is in the elearning category, but you might try it with a little more smile and energy in your voice to lift up the passengers. I haven’t flown in awhile (crazy year!) but I always like hearing funny upbeat airline stewards/stewardesses – helps get the passenger’s attention to actually listen to the announcement vs. just tune them out.

Mary

kfvoice
        Participant

I edited my entry, and then it didn’t submit the edit!

Anyway, about the nasal sound. I, too, noticed I sounded more nasally than normal yesterday. I do get congested in the colder months/spring time here in northern New England. I have a humidifier in the house downstairs (I do my recording in a bedroom upstairs), and use saline nasal mist sprays, but I may need to add another humidifier somewhere upstairs now that I am doing voiceover!

Kathy

kfvoice
        Participant

Thank you, Mary! Noted!

I struggled with this one yesterday. I’d work on it for an hour, walk away for 10-15 minutes, and repeat. Must of been a few hours. I finally said, I have to stop for now, and uploaded the end result.

I agree, I like funny stewards/stewardesses. I went back and forth as to how to deliver this. To me this script falls under the announcer category (maybe it’s in there), so definitely, upbeat would of been best. Then the other side of me thought, “Is this for a trainer video?”. It still should sound more upbeat, though, so thanks again for the feedback!

Kathy

mkell755
          Participant

Hi Kathy, sure, you are welcome! It’s a serious topic (life safety), but I think delivering serious messages in an upbeat way can make them more palatable? As long as it sounds professional in the delivery (which your voice does) it works. Thanks!

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

I had this issue previously, sounds like your speaking with too much nasal sounding, instead try to speak from your diaphragm maybe. Otherwise your pacing and enunciation are very good!

kfvoice
        Participant

Noted! Thank you, RYoung!

svenbot5000
    Participant

Hey everyone! Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Posting another quick practice read. Let me know what you think!

McCholesterol

Come to McCholesterol’s and try our Triple Bacon and cheese Heart Attack Burger and triple fat fries! This Friday, for only fifty cents, at McCholesterol’s.
    Eat for today, eat for the moment…
    May as well, we’re all going to die soon anyways. Death by fast food, why not? …

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

Wow, I’m flattered to see that the spoof commercial I and my coach made for my demo reel has made it to another person at Edge. Nice enthusiasm and interpretation in the performance.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Svenbot! Good read! Way to get into the character and mood of the script! I could tell you were relaxed and smiling as you read it. Good inflection throughout – good job!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi peeps! Here is a commercial read. Put together this script, any feedback is appreciated!

Sun B*m Hair Lightener is formulated to brighten your hair by amplifying the natural highlighting effects of the sun.
    It’s infused with pineapples and lemons and has a hydrogen peroxide boost for faster results.
    It smells like sunkissed summer, and does all the good things with none of the bad things.

Attachments:
      Robert Broussard
      Participant

Good job writing the script and reading is also. Your voice is good fit for this.

monibr16
      Participant

Wow this was great! you sound very relaxed. Pacing was very good. I agree great fit for your voice!

colleen
      Participant

Hi, Katelyn-
      Really nice job! Upbeat, confident, believable…your voice suits this kind of commercial!
      ~colleen

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn – good read! I really like the tone and texture of your voice – good variation throughout. Your voice sounds well-suited for this type of commercial. Good job!

Mary

[email protected]
    Participant

Getting back to practice recordings after a little break – any and all feedback is appreciated!!

Attachments:
      monibr16
      Participant

Sounds great, I just had trouble hearing the second “we’re” you sped up a little and it was hard to make out. Other than that it was good!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Gabe! Great read! Good flow, energy and pace of the read, really nice!

Mary

colleen
      Participant

Great read, Gabe! I loved your timing, enthusiasm and pitch…

SuperLuke
      Participant

Very nice.

colleen
    Participant

Hi there! Here’s the first of my narration scripts for session #1 homework. Absolutely brand new to voiceover, recorded on Mac computer in my freezing-cold basement(no husband, dog or extraneous noise there…) & looking forward to any tips, feedback, suggestions, etc. Big thanks! ~colleen

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Colleen!

A nice first read! I know sometimes pace can be hard in the beginning, but you did a really good job with that here.

As for voice memo download — I don’t have experience with a MacBook, but on my iPhone, I recorded on the Voice Record Pro app, not the voice memos on the phone, when starting out, and then emailed it to myself as a MP3 file. I am not sure if this helps at all, but I thought I would mention it.

Overall, good job! Keep it up!

Kathy

colleen
        Participant

Kathy~
        Thanks so much for the feedback & sharing your “technical” advice. It’s great to see the different ways people voice record!

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Sounds like you found a good spot to record if you can keep warm. I like the pace and tone of your voice. I think you may have your voice slightly louder. Over all a good effort!!

colleen
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Robert!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Colleen! First off, welcome! I’m pretty new as well and always learning.

The recording sounded great, but was very quiet on my end. Your voice sounds really nice and smooth for this sort of read. I liked the pace and tone, but there seemed to be a few micro pauses throughout that might not be needed, like they did not seem to be at periods or at the end of a thought. Overall really good!

Mary

colleen
        Participant

Mary-
        Thanks so much for your feedback! This is definitely a big learning curve…especially when you also need pretty savvy computer skills (which I definitely do NOT have!!) Looking forward to more listening & learning.

mkell755
          Participant

Hey you are welcome Colleen! Yes, I think I speak for everyone here in that we are all here to learn. Practice makes perfect, right? 🙂

Mary

colleen
      Participant

IF anyone has suggestions on how to download voice memos from a MacBook so that it shows up as an “attachment”, please let me know! 🙂

touzet
        Participant

It’s going to need to be an mp3 instead of an m4a. Google something like “m4a to mp3 on mac” and some converters will popup. You just need to make sure there’s no malware in the one you choose.

colleen
          Participant

Thanks so much for this info, touzet! I will try it with my next read.

Hulykulani
    Participant

Hello everybody! First time posting on here for my homework for my commercial demo recording coaching sessions! I have currently two commercials worked on – American Express and Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh. The scripts themselves are below and I appreciate any and all feedback (on the reads themselves or the way I should set up these posts as I never had to do it for my animation voice over work.

Commercial 1 – American Express

Do you know me? Probably not. In my business, recognition is always important, but when I’m buying goods online I prefer a little privacy. With Private Payments from American Express, I get the security of a unique number created for each business transaction I make. Because my private information is my business, and American Express keeps it that way.

Commercial 2 – Pittsburgh

In this city… There’s an expectation in the air. We all pay it forward. We all earn it. There’s a currency that connects us. The karma we share. The way we celebrate. If you’re not from here, that’s okay. All comers are welcome. Here’s one more tip. There’s only one place in Pittsburgh we all come together. Whatever your game… Rivers is where Pittsburgh comes to play.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Hulykulani! Welcome! I liked both scripts. I too heard an echo in the background. Good pace and emphasis on the key product words such as Private Payments, American Express and Rivers. Very good!

Mary

svenbot5000
      Participant

Howdy! On the first commercial in the middle, specifically the “I get the security of a unique number created for each business transaction I make” section, it sounds more like you’re reading off the script instead of having a conversation compared to the rest of the reading. Don’t be afraid to vary your speed a little. Other than that, good job!

SuperLuke
      Participant

Good performances for a few commercials, so far. My only critique is that I hear an echoey background.

JackStansbury
    Participant

Last round of commercial homework! Any feedback is welcome and appreciated

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Jack!

Nice reads!

In Script 1, I liked your low tone. I believe I heard “a” pronounced like “ah”. I have been struggling with this, as well.
      In Script 2, I liked the natural, casual delivery approach, but I agree with a previous comment to try to vary your pitch and tone.
      In Script 3, just … awesome. I can’t find anything to critique here. This sounds commercial ready!

Good job!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Jack! All 3 scripts were good for your voice and nicely read.
      Nike – good low tone
      Wranlger – great casual and easygoing tone!
      All State – good variation in tone throughout

Overall really nice!

Mary

SuperLuke
      Participant

This is really awesome. Good work!

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Really nice work! I also really loved the allstate read. The wrangler read I thought could have been a bit more enthusiastic or have a varied pitch/tone to it while still maintaining that “wrangler” edge. Good stuff!

[email protected]
      Participant

I completely agree with the comment before me – I loved your allstate reading! It sounded casual, charming, and you lifted important words without making it sound unnatural. I really liked the Nike copy too, and thought it served as a great contrast to the Allstate one. However it sort of sounded like the final line “it’s nike” was thrown away a bit, and the word Nike felt a bit like an afterthought. Make sure to lift up the product name! great work, though!

colleen
      Participant

Jack-
      Nice work! I especially liked the All State script: you sounded confident, natural, personable, trustworthy & had a nice flow…I wanted to buy insurance from you 🙂 I thought the Wrangler script sounded a bit flat & slow…but a good start. I really like your voice & think you have amazing potential!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.