Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    RYoung
    Participant

Thanks for listening and any comments are much appreciated!
    Advil
    Muscle aches? Nothing is proven more effective or longer lasting than Advil. For long-lasting relief of muscle aches, count on Advil. In a recent clinical study, Advil was found to work better than Tylenol in relieving the pain of sore muscles the day after exercise. No wonder doctors recommend Advil for muscle aches more than any other non-prescription brand. ADVIL — Advanced medicine for pain.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      RYoung
      Participant

Hey, thanks for the comments all, I think I just ran out of breath on the one pause lol.

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi R —

Great read! Your tone and pace fit the script.

I am not sure if you intended to add slight micro-pauses where not written in the script (“muscles the“, “Advil for muscle“), however, it seemed to work for the latter in your second to last sentence.

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Great job RYoung! Very nice read and production – you have a very warm, rich tone, and very well suited for this type of read. Very good!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

Hi RYoung! I always think your reads are great, with really clear pacing and great tone. I give this next comment with exactly one grain of salt: I’m a musician first so I always hear pitch with a lot of emphasis, and it sounds like you change pitch within the word pretty frequently throughout the read and it almost gives it a little singsongy in places. Does that make sense? Feel free to completely disregard if that doesn’t resonate with you! Overall, it is, as always, consistently a great read!

TimDKietzman
    Participant

This script has multiple lists, how did I do in bringing them to life?

Intuition
    Now there’s a solution to the soap-opera of shaving. Introducing Intuition. The only all-in-one razor that lathers and shaves in one easy step. You’ll never need shave gel, soap or body wash again, because Intuition’s triple blades are surrounded by a unique Skin Conditioning Solid. With just water, it smooths and soothes to give you soft, smooth, touchable skin with every shave. Shaving’s never been so simple.

Attachments:
      CYeschenko
      Participant

The lists worked great, your choice of words to highlight was effective and the rest of the copy had good pacing. Nice work!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tim! This sounds really good. Good flow and pace and clarity, and with the appropriate words emphasized. Good job!

Mary

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

David Goldberg did a great advanced auditioning class on this exact thing about a year ago.

From first listen, you have a pretty good handle on it: take each item on the list, and give each its own inflection by going up, going down, staying “flat” (tone, not emotion), or up then down in the same word. It creates an auditory “comma” without breaking stride, and gives the list more texture.

TimDKietzman
    Participant

Hi everyone, my demo prep is tomorrow and I’ve been practicing. One of the scripts I’m including is a car commercial. How’s my performance? I’ve been working h*****n lists. Also, is my recording setup still great?

Infiniti FX
    They said an SUV would never have the heart of a sports car. They said an SUV would never turn heads. Or give directions. Or play movies. They were wrong. The 315-horsepower Infiniti FX. Rethink the SUV at Infiniti.com.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tim! Good read! Good decisive tone throughout. I think the emphasis on the appropriate words is good on the lists portion, but I think you could possibly punch up or vary the tone a little more for heads, directions and movies. Very good!

Mary

chas82
      Participant

I agree with what RYoung shared. I would also suggest giving a little more emphasis to “never” in the first sentence because this word defines the challenge. You emphasized it well in the second sentence. I would also change the emphasis onto the verbs “give” and “play” in the third and fourth sentences and deemphasize “or “ at the start of the sentences. It was good overall; just a few tweaks. I also liked your sound quality very much. I’m sure the demo creation went well.

RYoung
      Participant

Hi Tim, I submitted a reply to your read but seem to got lost somewhere. Basically I think you started off well but the last word in the list or phrase which was play movies seem to fizzle out. Then I think you could smile more at the end because of the fact that they were wrong is the turning point in the script after listing what an SUV could never be, I would just turn up the enthusiasm a bit on the last line otherwise good work on this and good luck on your demo!

reeyab
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m still working on soundproofing my studio, so these havent’t come out as crisp as I would like, but I am eager to hear your feedback all the same!

Carnation Breakfast Essentials

Kids can change minds. They can even change the world around us. Packed with protein plus 21 vitamins and minerals, we nourish them with Carnation Breakfast Essentials. Because today could change everything.

Sandals

Somewhere in the Caribbean, there are 5-star luxury resorts where it’s all-inclusive, all the time. Sandals, where love is all you need. Because everything else is included. Call 1-800-Sandals.

Peets Coffee

Characters like Marie. She’s a character. She does ballet. Professionally. Because character. That’s what we’re about. Alfred Peet. Now, there was a character. He brought us craft roasted. Us, as in America. You. Me. Diane. Diane’s friend. At Peet’s, we source the best beans. We roast them. We brew them. We make great coffee. We’re Peet’s.

Weelearn

Most of us know there are ways we can improve… to be healthier… happier… more effective… but knowing how to improve is a different matter. Without guidance, we often simply stay the same. Welcome to Weelearn – a platform where well-known experts and authors can help you get stronger in all areas of your life. Using the Weelearn video library, you can protect your body, strengthen your mind and spirit, become a more positive influence in your relationships, pursue success more confidently at work, and so much more. Our experts are taken from fields of hard science, like psychology, but also areas of broader wisdom, like spirituality. And with videos broken up into digestible parts, and supplemented by exercises and games, the next step to your best self is truly only a few clicks away. Don’t be stuck in life, love, work – or anything! Try Weelearn for yourself today. Weelearn – learning through watching.

Attachments:
      CYeschenko
      Participant

Nice work as a whole! One area that could be improved though in my opinion would be the pacing for Peet’s coffee. You did well interpreting the quirky copy and it sounded great in your voice! But if that was a 30 second ad you would definitely have to pick it up a little bit.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Reeyab! Great reads! You have a very nice clear voice, and all of the scripts were well read and paced. I liked the attitude for Peet’s Coffee and Weelearn the best for you. Very good!

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

First of all I would say your voice is very nice and has a good tone to it. The first read sounded really good maybe the ending could be perked up a bit. The sandals read started off well however the ending kind of tailed off with downward inflections and I believe love should be highlighted and then the last line should be highlighted as well with with a smile and or upward inflection. As far as the the last two I would only say this to help you and I have or have had some of the same issues that were pointed out to me for being disjointed or staccato. The Pete’s commercial especially seemed kind of disjointed even though you have a pleasant and natural delivery, I would just try to smooth out and tighten up the read more if that makes sense. The We learn read I thought was very well done maybe only slightly disjointed but I think you’re inflections were good, just maybe tighten up the read because of the gaps between words eere kind of long. I had posted We learn to the script library from an audition I did a while back. Keep up the great work!

mrtripo9
      Participant

I particularly love the Sandals read, sounds great.

mrtripo9
      Participant

Lovely read, production is perfect too. Thanks for sharing

colleen
      Participant

REEYAB~
      OH MY…I LOVE YOUR VOICE! Simply amazing work & so well done! I literally have no “critique”. Have you been doing voiceover/studying for a while? If you can share how you set up your studio and the gear you like, that would be so helpful. Bravo!

burdahgirl
    Participant

Practice practice practice 🙂

Your Smile
    Your smile says a lot about you. If you let it. When you’re uncomfortable about your teeth, it’s easy to hold back your smile. Invisalign’s advanced technology now lets you straighten your teeth invisibly – so you can express yourself fully. And because they’re invisible, no one has to know about it. Hundreds of thousands of people have already discovered Invisalign. Maybe it’s time you were one of them.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl, really nice! I liked the smile in your voice and your voice is very well-suited for this commercial. Good pacing and flow throughout, really good work!

Mary

colleen
      Participant

Amazing read, burdagirl! I really like your tone, confidence & smooth cadence.

Robert Broussard
    Participant

I just finished this morning. My 1sr attempt at righting my own script with music mixing. I am away from my home studio set up and am in a hotel, so the mic I am using is not near the quality of my normal setup. Please give any feedback good or bad. Thanks

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

I think you did a good job making this in a hotel room

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Robert – great read and production! Sounds great, and very believable with your accent. Good script too! All around really good job.

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

This is great, Robert! I can vision a farm field, or construction site, with this read!

Your pace was good; tone was spot on, and the music fit the script. Nice job writing it, too!

Kathy

colleen
      Participant

I loved this, Robert! Perfect pitch & music for this ad. Nice job!

reeyab
      Participant

I love the timber of your voice! It’s perfect for this script, and the music is a great touch.

burdahgirl
      Participant

Your accent makes my Georgia heart happy <3 Great read!

BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

Did my first session with Jen Sims last night to get ready for my commercial demo. Here’s two of the scripts that we’ll definitely be including, would love feedback on my pacing, tone, connection with the material, etc.

Canine Cancer Foundation:
    Through education, research, outreach, and fundraising, our goal is to eliminate dog cancer as a major health problem in dogs. Want to become part of the cure? Become a Core Member Today!

Toyota:
    Electronic on-demand all-wheel drive. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. An estimated 41 miles per gallon. The 2021 Toyota RAV4 LE Hybrid. See where today takes you.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Brian – good reads! For the Canine Cancer read, it was spot on. Very good flow, tone, pace and clarity. For the Toyota read, also very good, natural delivery. It sounded like you added a couple of words before 2021 – “the all new 2021…”? I realize this is for practice, just something I noticed. Great job!

Mary

colleen
      Participant

Really enjoyed these reads, Brian…upbeat, smooth, personable and very professional-sounding. Great job!

burdahgirl
      Participant

Hey Brian, these are both awesome reads, and sounds like you still have plenty of time for polishing. If I had to be really picky I might say that the second read could be a little more exciting in the tone? Still a great read.

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Brian, both sound good. You voice a very good fit for the material. Tone, pitch and pace are also well done.

burdahgirl
    Participant

Commercial feels like such a struggle for me! Thank you for all of your advice and feedback <3

“Revlon High Dimension Color Accents
    Comb. Highlight. Gorgeous. New Revlon High Dimension Color Accents Highlighting kit. The Breakthrough? An exclusive applicator comb that regulates the right amount of color every time. So you get Salon style highlights from root to tip. Fast. Easy. Beautiful. For natural and color treated hair. In 3 universal shades. One of them yours. Only Revlon makes it. Only you make it unforgettable.”

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

burdahgirl… You’re a natural.

Nice job!

Kathy

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Burdahgirl, that was a perfect fit for your voice. The pace and were very good!!!!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl! Great read! Nice flow and smile in your voice. I could not tell that this is a struggle for you! It sounds nice and flows well. Good job!

Mary

RYoung
    Participant

Sorry folks but Collen reminded me I had another take of this one I forgot about, had to put my music in, thanks for listening!
    The Power of True
    What do we mean when we say “the power of true”?
    The core of it starts with curiosity. Because everything starts with curiosity. It’s the rocket fuel of creative ideas and bold thinking.
    What does curiosity look like in action? It looks like what we do at Fleishman Hillard, every day.
    When clients come to us, we embrace their challenges. We listen, we explore, we empathize, we learn. Insights and solutions bubble up from there…grounded in who we are as an agency and who we are as human beings: confident, honest, diverse, real . . . true.
    This is our purpose – – to be bold . . . and to stay true. Our clients can do amazing things with that in this complex world. With our help, they can take risks, inspire, grow, break through, disrupt industries, and make a transformative impact on the world.
    Pretty powerful, right?
    Be Bold. Stay True.
    This is what we mean by the Power of True.

Attachments:
      chas82
      Participant

Very nice modulation and pacing start to finish. All of the lists were especially well done, each sounding different than the others. I’m always amazed at how just a little variance in inflection can produce great results. Good job sir !

colleen
      Participant

Very nice,R! Your read was slower & the music was a perfect touch. Keep up the great work!

RYoung
      Participant

Thanks to all for your feedback, much appreciated!

kfvoice
      Participant

I like this version of the The Power of True script, RYoung! With the music, it sounds great!

I have a couple of minor suggestions for feedback.

When you say, “Pretty powerful, right?”, trying changing your pitch up with the word “right?”

The last two lines:
      Be Bold. Stay True.
      This is what we mean by the Power of True.

These sound like tags lines, and perhaps insert a longer pause between these lines, and “Pretty powerful, right?”

Just a couple of thoughts. Overall, a nice read!

Kathy

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Hello, I like the read. I do think the background music was slightly louder than it should be and over shadowed your reading a little.

mrtripo9
      Participant

Sounds very professional 👌

mkell755
      Participant

Hi RYoung! Very good read and production! Nice pace and flow throughout. Your voice has a very nice warmth to it. Good pauses and emphasis on words. Great job!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

What a great read! I think you could give the lines “Be Bold. Stay True.” there are the end a little more differentiation since that’s the big takeaway. But great job, especially with all of those lists!

svenbot5000
    Participant

Hey everyone! Here’s another practice read!

Freshii

At Freshii you can customize your entree and be your own culinary master. So what’s in your custom bowl? Tex Mex with black beans and a little salsa fresca? Teriyaki twist with a pop of pineapple? Whatever your fresh idea, get any 2 bowls for just $12.99! Freshii – Eat. Energize!

Attachments:
      colleen
      Participant

This was a great read, svenbot! Energetic, confident, creative…

reeyab
      Participant

I also love how clearly your enthusiasm for the material comes through! Awesome job! I would definitely recommend slowing down a bit, especially when you are listing the different bowl options. I also think a little more of a pause before the last sentence would be helpful to distinguish from the “pitch” part of the script to the tagline – giving the summation a bit more finality.

kfvoice
      Participant

Good job, Sven!

I agree with our fellow VO members that your enthusiasm for the script came through the read, and your voice fits the script well.

My suggestion is to slow down your read just a tad, but not too much, and give more pause between your sentences.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Great job Svenbot! Good energy and enunciation throughout. I liked “pop of pineapple” with the strong “p” sounds. Good job!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

Great job! Your voice suits this read so well, and I would like to order a bowl now! My only comment would be an editing one – seems like there is a little noise between each line, but that’s easy enough to edit out. The read itself was stellar 🙂

RYoung
      Participant

Very nice take on this style of restaurant script I like it. I especially like the pop description and emphasizing 1299, good take on this and thanks for sharing!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.