Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    burdahgirl
    Participant

Hey all! Any feedback on general audio quality on this one? I’ll take read feedback too, if I may be greedy 🙂

Muscle aches? Nothing is proven more effective or longer lasting than Advil. For long-lasting relief of muscle aches, count on Advil. In a recent clinical study, Advil was found to work better than Tylenol in relieving the pain of sore muscles the day after exercise. No wonder doctors recommend Advil for muscle aches more than any other non-prescription brand. ADVIL — Advanced medicine for pain.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl! Good read! You have a nice smooth voice for this type of read, it’s well-suited for your voice! The sound sounded good, but I am not yet on an upgraded studio setting.

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi burdahgirl!

The audio quality sounded good on my end. As for your read, it was great! I don’t have anything to critique. I’d say a script like this one would be ideal on a demo.

Kathy

AlexisVO
      Participant

Nice read! I think your pace was good, nice inflection, and the read was very clear. As for audio quality I can’t give good feedback at the moment because I don’t have good headphones (but it sounded ok in my earbuds). –Alexis

kfvoice
    Participant

I have tried to post this twice, and both times after editing, they disappeared.

I wrote a narration script for a documentary on L.L. Bean. (If the script doesn’t appear right, it’s the forum.)

I have been having trouble connecting to scripts. I try to bring enthusiasm to my reads, and it sounds campy, or a little too over the top. I try to sound natural, and more conversational, and it sounds like I am reading the script. I know smiling, as well as visualizing your audience, are often mentioned. I’m trying. As someone who is a bit of an introvert, and doesn’t socialize too much, I am also here to get out of my shell, too.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Kathy

L.L. Bean

The story of L.L. Bean is ever evolving. But, the outdoors has always been at the heart of it.

After returning from a hunting trip in 1911 with cold, damp feet, Leon Leonwood Bean has a revolutionary idea – and changed footwear forever.

In the next two hours, explore over 100 years of L.L .Bean history.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Kathy! I like this read for you! I also like the over the top cheerleader tip first read, I’m going to use that too Burdahgirl! I agree too with the gestures as you are reading with your hands – I have to now take off my watch, which makes noise on the recording because it is a little loose and rattles. It somehow signals to your brain that what you are saying is more exciting, or somehow more real to you, hard to explain but it helps me. I think it did sound natural and conversational, so I would not worry about being an introvert.

The only critique I would say for this piece is that I did not hear any pause after “But, the outdoors…” I think the emphasis makes more sense if on the word “outdoors” vs. “always” because it goes on to say that LL Bean got his great idea while outside in the following sentence. Great job!

Mary

kfvoice
        Participant

Good points, Mary! Thanks again!

Kathy

burdahgirl
      Participant

Hey Kathy! I think it’s a great read – you are very clear and read at a nice pace which is a continuing struggle for me! I feel that way too about feeling like I’m reading a script. I have found that going way over the top once (where nobody can hear me) can help break me out of my shell. Like reading it in full cheerleader mode. And then backing off from there to find a normal sound. Also, using gestures has been a game changer for me. It helps the smile actually reach my voice. I hope that’s helpful!! <3

kfvoice
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback, burdahgirl! And for the cheerleader “read” tip — I’ll have to try that!

Kathy

mkell755
    Participant

Hi everyone! I am uploading this recording (done on my phone) for any and all feedback. Thank you!

Mary

Duluth Canvas Travel Zip Top Sling Bag

To travel effortlessly, you’ve got to travel lightly – and that means ditching those bulky bags for something sleek, compact and intelligently organized. Here’s the savviest solution to ever hit the road or take to the skies. Our Canvas Travel Zip Top Sling Bag is slim and lightweight, yet is sized just right for all the stuff you’ve got to keep safely by your side. Better keep one handy, because you’re destined to go far! Get yours at Duluth Trading.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by mkell755.
    Attachments:
      burdahgirl
      Participant

Great job Mary! I love the warmth of your tone and its just perfect for the script!

mkell755
        Participant

Thank you Burdahgirl! Appreciate the feedback!

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Mary!

Good read! I could hear you varying your tone and pitch in this script. Keep it up!

Kathy

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks Kathy! Yeah, making progress! Thanks for the feedback!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

good evening. I have just started my narration training so I’m thinking about doing a read for Banff National Park. I’m trying to visualize what I see while I’m seeing it and I’m also tackling a MAJOR challenge with this crazy CRAZY long longgggg list haha! come at me with any feedback.

Attachments:
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Thank you for the feedback! Totally right Mary, that number can be shortened up. Yes I sometimes do not include the script because sometimes it is nice to just hear the read straight up.

chas82
      Participant

Katelyn
      Very nice read. Good tempo and variation in pitch. And you’re right – the list of park features was crazy long and you did a good job with your tone and inflections making each one different. I was seeing each different feature in my mind’s eye.

I suggest for future posts you add the script so we can follow along.

Good luck with the training.

Chas

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn! This sounds good. It felt like the size of the park could have been read a little faster (6,641 square kilometers). I know it is a number, but it gets stretched out a little longer than needed to me. The park is big but you also would want to emphasize not only the size of the park but moreso the list of qualities about the park. The list of items sounded fine to me. It’s hard to vary the tone for each one when you have so many items (7?), but I think you did a good job with that. Good work!

Mary

chas82
    Participant

I just started training for my Commercial demo and my homework is to post 1-2 reads daily in addition to what I do offline on my own. Here’s the first. I’m also beginning to create my recording environment and I know the quality of this take can be much better.

Boys & Girls Club

Put this card in the hands of a child and there’ll be no room for a gun. A needle. Or a knife. It’s only a piece of paper, but that little membership card has helped keep millions of kids off drugs, out of gangs and in school. To learn how you can help the Boys & Girls Clubs, call 1-800-854-Club. Boys & Girls Clubs of America. The POSITIVE Place For Kids.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by chas82.
    Attachments:
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Lovely beautiful voice! I am excited to see what you will do. Congrats on starting your commercial demo!! Here is what stood out to me besides the beautiful timbre of your voice and how charming of a vibe you have – I think you hit the word “this” in “put THIS card” but I think you might want to emphasize the word “hands” and “child”. And I think you could create a bit more gravity in your tone for the first half. It feels very upbeat but the subject matter could do well to have more of an emotional gravity to it. I think from “to learn how…” I think you really handle it well! nice work.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Chas! Very nice. You have a deep, warm, rich smooth tone. Good read for your voice with good variation during the read to make it interesting. Good job!!

Mary

CYeschenko
    Participant

Continued practice! Working with different copy and honing my performance skills, so any performance related comments would be great- although any comments are appreciated! I’m also working on decreasing the time needed to get a recording I am happy with, so part of this was an experiment to give myself fewer takes to get it right to hone my auditioning skills.

HersheyPark Christmas Candylane

HersheyPark Christmas Candylane is bigger and brighter than ever! New this year experience twice as many lights and holiday riders on Superdooperlooper, Wildcat, Cocoa Cruiser and Laff Track. As always, enjoy your favorite traditions including a visit to Santa and his nine live reindeer, a dazzling choreographed light show, ice skating, festive entertainment, and delicious holiday treats. Later, don’t forget to drive over to Hershey SweetLights for two miles of festive displays from the comfort of your car. Start planning your family’s visit today and discover your Hersheypark happy.

Attachments:
      HollyBlythe
      Participant

Hi CY,

Nice to put the voice and face with the email. You have a terrific and friendly voice. You make me want to go to Hershey Park now. Just as an experiment, consider trying it ‘bigger’ – because it’s fun – it’s a theme park and the names of the rides are over the top.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi CYeschenko! I too have to practice many times to get a recording that feels good enough to post, glad to hear I’m not the only one!

I liked the read – good pace, clarity and flow of the script, and I think your voice is well-suited for this commercial. I noticed that “…holiday treats” sounded like it ended with an question mark instead of a period, as well as the last word “happy”, but those are very minor points. Overall very well done!

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

I concur on multiple takes, sometimes I do 4 or 5, probably better to just read over the script multiple time to become familiar. That said I’ve enjoyed your reads for a while and think you have improved tremendously! Only two minor things inflection wise are Holiday treats ended with a question instead of statement and Hershey Park the last word happy fell off a bit, good work, enjoyed the descriptive tone on the holiday rides!

mkell755
    Participant

Hi all! Here is a recording (recorded on my phone) that I’m posting here for any and all feedback. I was having trouble uploading files all week and now I miss it! 🙂 So here it is. Thanks!

Mary

Aetna/US Healthcare
    No matter where we live–when it comes to something as important as health care–we all want the best. That’s why AETNA and US HEALTHCARE have joined forces to create a partnership that will set a new standard for quality and caring. AETNA and US HEALTHCARE. Raising a standard for your town, for your family, and for you.

Attachments:
    mkell755
    Participant

Hi everyone! Here is my daily recording (recorded on my phone) for any and all feedback. Thank you!

Welcome to Lifetime Fitness!
    Discover a destination like no other. Where people come together to pursue passions, overcome limitations and realize potential. Here you’ll find the space, expertise and inspiration you need to do more than you thought possible.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Hi Mary, Your voice seems pleasant, however too many upward inflections for this script, now if it was a children’s commercial or story it fits with your tone. This script seems to want more passion and inspiration, hope that helps!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback RYoung! I will work on the upward inflections – it’s a hard habit to break for me, I will work on the passion and inspiration too. Thanks!

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Welcome back, Mary!

Your pace was good here. I can hear you relaxing more.

The opening line needs a little more of an enthusiastic tone, and in the lists (pursue passions, overcome limitations and realize potentialspace, expertise and inspiration), if you varied your inflections with them more, it would improve the read.

I hope this helps. Keep it up! Good read!

Kathy

mkell755
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback Kathy! I will work on the enthusiasm and making the inflections more varied, good points. Thanks again!

Mary

burdahgirl
    Participant

Hey ya’ll! I’d love feedback on my latest practice script: both the read and the sound quality. I’m working on my home studio setup and would love to hear what your ears think about the current setup and what else it might need. THANKS!

“Meet Karen
    a full time chartered accountant by day, full time home traffic controller by night
    aaand a part time fund-raiser.
    Chocolates and paper forms? There’s got to be a better way.
    Introducing FlipGive, the best way to fundraise online.
    Earn up to 50% when your friends and family shop with great retailers and restaurants.
    Start by creating your campaign page in just a few simple steps.
    Other fund-raising needs? No Problem! FlipGive makes it easy for a variety of groups to raise money.
    Easily share your campaign in person via social media or e-mail so your friends and family can help you reach your funding goal no matter where they live.
    Yes even uncle Bob can help out, with a quick and easy purchase from his favorite brand.
    Manage your campaign by tracking progress, keeping your supporters upto-date, and thanking them when the mission is complete.
    Flipgive, the future of fundraising is here.”

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl!

Great job! Pace, tone, pitch were spot on!

I liked how you added micro-pauses in the line: Easily share your campaign in person via social media or e-mail so your friends and family can help you reach your funding goal no matter where they live. Otherwise, it would be a run-on sentence.

Your last line was louder, however, I think that may have been your intention to billboard and create a tag line? It works, but just a little too loud compared to the rest of the copy.

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl – great read! Great flow to the script and nice smile in your voice. The last line sounded louder than the rest of the read, but very small detail overall. Good job!

Mary

maseFUdogg
    Participant

“this is an athlete, 20 reps deep, sprinting past every leak in our softest smoothest fabric, she’s confident, protected, her strength, respected. Depend, the only thing stronger than us, is you.”

(link) https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nmJ4/depend-silhouette-briefs-respected#

Helllllooooo from Los Angeles (korea town), I just had my 1st VO coaching session with the infamous Kara Edwards and am just a beginner, so please go easy on me! (recorded from my lav mic attached to my iphone ..(for now until I upgrade))

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Mase! Welcome! Nice read. Good clarity and decisiveness in your tone. Good job!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

Great job on the read! Nice pacing and a wonderful, clear voice. I would say you could try experimenting with a little more emotion or expressive tone for the very beginning of the read so we know right off the bat how you feel about this amazing woman. I got it later when you said “her strength, respected”, so great work on that! You definitely don’t sound like a beginner – way to go!

maseFUdogg
      Participant

is this the right way to format the file?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by maseFUdogg.
      Attachments:
        kfvoice
        Participant

Welcome Mase!

You did a nice job in this first read!

I agree with previous comments — pace was good; enunciation clear, and to play around with tone and pitch in the beginning of the script.

Kathy

colleen
        Participant

Mase~great job! You don’t sound like a beginner at all! Nice pacing & I really liked the way you hit certain words. Keep up the great work! By the way, how did you change your original M4A format file to the one with the grey bar?
        ~colleen

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.