Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Thank you,Mary.Really appreciate it.

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! I’m looking for any and all feedback on this read (recorded on my phone). I’m trying to work on smiling during the read and for a natural delivery. Thanks for listening!

Mary

Mr. Coffee Elite Plus
    Now when you stumble out of bed with a million things to do, at least the coffee’s ready. Mr. Coffee Elite Plus coffeemaker starts brewing whenever you say. You decide the night before, push a few buttons and go to bed. You’ll wake up to a fresh, hot p*t of steaming salvation. Now that’s what we call a real eye-opener.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Robert Broussard
      Participant

I like that Mary. Good job.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks Robert!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

Great job Mary! I listened to one of yours a day or two ago and can hear a difference with the “smile” in your voice. It’s awesome!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Burdahgirl – thanks for the feedback! I have been working on smiling during the read more, so I’m glad it is noticeable to others. Thanks again!

Mary

TimDKietzman
    Participant

Here’s another script I did. Do you think my acoustic set up works well? My main concern is if there is a noticeable hum from my computer… Any thoughts on my performance would also be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Sandals
    Somewhere in the Caribbean, there are 5-star luxury resorts where it’s all-inclusive, all the time. Sandals, where love is all you need. Because everything else is included. Call 1-800-Sandals.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

Hey everyone. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll definitely take it to heart. Although I wonder why I didn’t receive an email that you’d replied… The old Feedback Forum did that all the time.

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Tim!

Great read!

My feedback here is for your audio set up.

I felt like there was a louder hum here, than in your first reading I gave feedback on.

Your reading started out quiet and whisper like at the beginning, and then the volume of your read in the second sentence got louder. It started around “where love…”. I am not sure if this is part of your audio edit, or if your tone changed.

Have you sent in a audio sample for the engineers to listen to?

Overall, good job!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tim! Good read. Your voice had a nice low tone which suited this script well. Even with the quieter tone, I was not hearing any humming. Good job!

Mary

TimDKietzman
    Participant

Hey everyone, I am going to be recording my demo soon so I want to upload more. I’m still wondering about my recording accousitcs, do you think it works great? I’m pretty pleased with how the recordings turn out, but I wonder if my computer’s humming is messing with the recording… Also, if you have advice on my performance, I’d appreciate it.

Toddler Town Zoo
    When was the last time you brought your kids to the zoo? Now you can bring the zoo home to them. Toddler Town has a brand new collection of zoo characters, designed to put a smile on every toddler’s face. A lovable herd of hippos, a dangerous den of lions, plus monkeys, giraffes, and big burly bears. It’ll keep the little ones happy for hours. So introduce your kids to the ZOO … from TODDLER TOWN.

Attachments:
      touzet
      Participant

You have a distinctive voice – which is a great thing. This script seems targeted at the parents and some of the read seems aimed at children e.g. the phrase “…dangerous den of lions”. Also, “put [uh] smile..” may work better than “put [AY] smile..”. That may make it more conversational…
      – touzet –

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Tim!

Nice read! Your voice fits the script. The pace was good, and your pitch and toned varied where needed.

I did hear a distant hum/static sound with my Audio-Technica headphones. I hope this helps.

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tim! This sounded good – good tempo and flow and enunciation. I’m not hearing the humming on my end. Overall good job!

Mary

burdahgirl
    Participant

Thanks for any feedback!

“Listen. Your period comes every month. But it changes every day. That’s why ALWAYS designed new MULTIPAX. Three levels of protection in one smart box. So no matter what, you’ve got the right protection. ALWAYS MULTIPAX.”

Attachments:
      colleen
      Participant

Hi, Burdahgirl-
      I really liked this read: upbeat, nice pacing & confident…nice job!

TimDKietzman
      Participant

Your performance is very fitting and well played out. My only thought is the ending: “Always Multipax.” I think it should have a different tone than the one you have. You don’t sound happy or confident enough in the product…

You’re on the right track, good work!
      Tim D.

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi burdahirl!

Nice read!

Pitch and tone were good. I would recommend a longer pause after “Listen.” … It sounds like it’s part of your second sentence. Emphasizing ALWAYS and MULTIPAX a little more will highlight the brand and product.

Overall, good job!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl! Your voice sounds really good for this commercial, great job! Good pacing, flowed well and good enunciation. Very good!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

I agree. You sound fit for the part

mkell755
    Participant

Happy Thanksgiving all! Here is my daily recording for any and all feedback (recorded on phone for practice). Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Mary

Select Quote Insurance
    Hi. I’d like to tell you the three golden rules for saving money when buying life insurance.
    – First, buy “term life” insurance, so you get the most protection for the least possible cost.
    – Second, buy sooner rather than later. Every birthday your cost of insurance goes up.
    – And third, call Select Quote. They search the top-rated life insurance firms like Traveler, Kemper, and CNA, to find the best rates and benefits for you. Then they send you a free price comparison with your five best quotes.
    – Just call 1-800-335-7200 for your free price comparison. That’s 1-800-335-7200.

Attachments:
      burdahgirl
      Participant

Hi Mary,
      I think your pacing is great and you are so clear. I might try to add a little more warmth or smile to it? Otherwise, awesome!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks Burdahgirl! Appreciate the feedback. More warmth and smile, thanks I’ll try that!

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Mary!

Your pace, pitch, and pauses were good here. When it comes to the number, I know it’s common for some to say “Oh”, as opposed to “Zero”, although, I don’t think I hear many commercials read this way. Something to be mindful of, and double check.

Kathy

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Kathy, thanks for the feedback! I debated as to say “0” vs. “zero” and the shorter “0” won, but good point in checking on protocol for that. It seems like so many things that are said in commercials are getting shorter these days, like the companies expect us to figure it out with just a tiny bit of information. Now I’ll be listening for that! Thanks again,

Mary

SuperLuke
    Participant

Hi everyone. Happy Thanksgiving. My coach wants me to perform this dog character with a scratchy texture and a higher-pitched voice, maintaining the voice and texture together. I rehearsed this character in three different takes. Which one sounds more like what my coach wants us to use for my demo?

In my demo rehearsal, I’m trying to make all my characters consistent and sounding different enough from each other. I even spent time speeding up my performances. How do I sound in the performance and with recording quality? I got a new microphone and headset. There shouldn’t be any hiss or hum in the background anymore.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi SuperLuke!

In your first read, dog voice number three was my choice. It sounded more “youthful” for a “pup”. Is this what is the intention?

The second read for your demo rehearsal had a nice variation, while being consistent.

As for the recording quality, I can still hear noise in the background in both. I’m still learning myself, but did you try adjusting the gain?

Kathy

SuperLuke
        Participant

Thank you for your feedback, Kathy. Yes, I adjusted the gain. I don’t hear any noise when I play it. I need to have someone look at it.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi SuperLuke! In the first recording, the second version was my choice for the dog character.

For the second recording, the sound was very low at the beginning but got increasingly louder. I liked the character voice variation. Some of the words were not very clear to me, like they were a little smushed together. I could not understand the name of the restaurant – is it McCholesterol’s? I listened 4 times but could not figure it out. I hope that helps!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

Thank you for your comments about my recordings and for liking my character variations. I probably spoke very fast, smushing some words together in the second recording. Yes, McCholesterole’s is the name of the restaurant in my demo practice.

mkell755
          Participant

You are welcome SuperLuke! Thanks for clearing up the name for me. So I’m thinking McCholesterole’s is possibly a jab at McDonald’s, not sure about that 🙂
          Mary

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! I’m looking for any and all feedback to this script (it was recorded on my phone, just fyi). Thank you for your comments!

Shelton Savings Bank
    It’s taken you months to find the right house at the right price. Your problem is that the seller wants to move fast…if you can’t get a quick answer on your loan application, you’re probably not going to get this house. Well, Shelton Savings can solve your problem. Just fill out a loan application, and within 24 hours, we’ll let you know if it’s been approved. Call 800-233-3551, and apply today. Shelton Savings Bank…Your hometown bank.

Attachments:
      Robert Broussard
      Participant

Hi, your voice is clear but it should flow better. Try to loosen up some and try not to sound like you are reading from a paper.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Robert! I will work on the flow – thanks!

Mary

SuperLuke
          Participant

I heard a background sound as you performed the read. Might want to consider eliminating it. I liked your performance, good voice, and sounding like a commercial. To make it better, I would suggest following Robert’s advice, loosen up the performance, and try not to sound like you just read it off the paper. Other than that, I enjoyed it

mkell755
          Participant

Thanks SuperLuke! Yes, I think the background noise you are hearing is the computer fan – it’s almost level with the desk instead of below it, so I will probably have to rearrange things once I’ve set up my home studio (has not happened yet). Will also work on loosening up. I wanted to sound helpful and not like I am reading. Thanks again!

Mary

brian3553
    Participant

Hello –

I’m looking for some feedback on the following Edge scripts.

Thank you,

Brian

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Brian! I like the tone and raspiness of your voice! It is unique
      Script 1 – Advil – Good inflection and pace, your voice is well-suited for this.
      Script 2 – History Channel – Good tone and pacing on this one, but it seemed just a tiny bit rushed. You may be able to do a slight pause after the parts that ask questions to allow the listener to think for a beat before moving on to the next thought.
      Script 3 – Dublin – Good energy in the read, it felt like you were interested in the topic

Overall very good!

Mary

brian3553
        Participant

Mary, Luke & Robert — thank you all for the feedback…

Brian

Robert Broussard
        Participant

Good reads!

burdahgirl
    Participant

My first go at a commercial script! Thanks for your feedback!

Okay moms, if you’re like me, your kids…well, drive you crazy! “I’m bored,” “Can we go to the movies?” “When’s dad comin’ home?” Well thank goodness Lego introduced CREATIVE BUILDER. It keeps kids occupied for hours, plus helps them gain creativity while teaching them to develop their skills. Lego, thank goodness.

Attachments:
      colleen
      Participant

Burdahgirl~your first go at a commercial is fantastic!! Loved the different kids’ voices & thought your timing was perfect!

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl!

Nice read! The pace was good, and your tone and pitch fit the script where needed. Keep it up! Great job!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl! Great read! Great inflection at the kid’s voice parts, very believable and with good variation in the 3 quoted parts of the script. The emphasis on Creative Builder is good too, lets people know what the product is that is being sold. Good pacing in the read. Great job!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

Good job! You are spot on!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.