Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    RYoung
    Participant

looking for more sample work to add. Critique and comments welcome!

DELTA

WHEN WE’RE BORN. WE ARE MORE ALIKE THAN DIFFERENT.

BUT SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY, WE START TO BELIEVE THE MORE DISTANT WE ARE FROM EACH OTHER….THE MORE DISTANT WE ARE.

ITS NOT UNTIL WE VENTURE INTO THE WORLD THAT WE SEE ALL WE SHARE.

MAYBE THATS THE POWER OF FLIGHT.

DELTA ISN’T JUST FLYING TO BRING US TOGETHER….BUT TO SHOW, WE WERE NEVER THAT FAR PART TO BEGIN WITH
    Delta is ready when you are!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi RYoung!

You have a great voice for this type of script. It was a nice read. You didn’t rush through it, and your words were clear. What I did notice, is that maybe the pauses between sentences could of been a tad longer. I especially noticed this between the first and second sentences. Just my opinion.

Kathy

RYoung
      Participant

Thanks Mary and super Luke for your encouragement it’s much appreciated!
      RYoung

mkell755
      Participant

Hi RYoung! Great read and production. Very good pacing and the script flowed really well with the micro pauses at the appropriate times. Your voice has a very nice warm and welcoming tone, and is very good for this sort of commercial.

Mary

RYoung
    Participant

You seem to start off well and describing the illness it sounded somewhat realistic. However on a PSA you could milk it even more I don’t mean cry but you could have sounded ev

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by RYoung.
      RYoung
      Participant

Disregard this reply seems I posted it in the wrong spot.

SuperLuke
        Participant

Great job Ryoung, I enjoyed it

RYoung
    Participant

I redid this one from the old feedback forum I believe trying to be a little more relaxed and realistic. Any of your thoughts are welcome!

Think Different – Apple Commercial (1997)
    Here’s to the crazy ones.
    The misfits.
    The rebels.
    The troublemakers.
    The round pegs in the square holes.
    The ones who see things differently.
    They’re not fond of rules.
    And they have no respect for the status quo.
    You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.
    Because they change things.
    They push the human race forward.
    And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
    Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Thanks for your comments and encouragement Superluke and Mary!

SuperLuke
      Participant

Great job Ryoung. Nice music and adding emotion to the performance, It’s like you embodied your character

mkell755
      Participant

Hi RYoung! Well done and well produced. Good tone in your voice and well-suited for this type of read. There were a few lines where you finished the statement as if it were a question – “the troublemakers” and “status quo” and “they change things”. Just based on the script it would seem like these should be read more as definitive statements, just my take on things. Very well done!

Mary

Hi
    all Some of you will be surprise (who is this and from where he arrived here) This is Nepali Voice over artist Bhawani Niroula. you can search my name and website on google. this is my voice please send some suggestion(you guys seems very professional).
    here it is,

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Bhawani! I liked the tone, pitch and flow of your read! Although I did not understand the language it sounded nice to me. Thanks for posting!

Mary

mkell755
    Participant

Good evening all! I’m looking for any and all feedback on my daily recording (recorded on a phone). I’m going for direct but authentic and believable. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mary

They’re called books. You may recognize them. Men have relied on them for millennia. Read up, man up. Put on your glasses, then go kick the tar out of every project you’ve ever dreamed of. Become more self-sufficient, build your future or just enjoy a satisfying, productive read. It all starts here. Duluthtrading.com/books

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Mary!

Enunciation was clear. I felt like you could of read this a tad slower, though. It sounded like you would speed up after the commas, too, instead of letting the sentence breath a little (micro-pause). Also be mindful of placing those micro-pauses where not intended (between “future … or”)

Try varying your tone a little more with the line “You may recognize them.” I read that as sounding sarcastic.

I hope this is helpful.

Kathy

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks Kathy! This is helpful. I was trying to pause in the right spots for emphasis, but it needs practice to make more sense and be more natural sounding.

For the “you may recognize them” line I was going for a “duh, this is obvious” feeling, so if it sounded sarcastic I would say that’s what I was thinking, like “in this day and age you do know what a book is right?”. It just seems like book reading is so rare these days, but really it used to be the main way people learned, so I was trying to poke fun at that a little bit. Thanks again!

Mary

kfvoice
          Participant

Hi Mary!

The sarcasm was clear, the tone with the line still sounded the same. I guess it depends on how you want to deliver the sarcasm — dry and deadpan, or exaggerated.

Kathy

mkell755
          Participant

Hi Kathy, thanks for the clarification. Dry and deadpan / funny is more accurate to what I was trying to convey. In my head I’m thinking it’s too much, but maybe if I pushed a little more, or with a different tone the feeling would be clearer in what I was trying to get across. Thanks again!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi! Here is a PSA for an eating disorder. Warning: this is about an eating disorder which may be triggering. I’m recording my demo tomorrow!! Wish me luck 🙂
    Katelyn

Eating Disorder PSA:
    You notice your friend has been throwing away her lunch. She’s started wearing baggy clothes – all the time. She seems tired. These are warnings of an eating disorder, the deadliest mental illness we know. But early treatment is the key to recovery. And as a friend you can be the difference.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Katelyn!

I am sure you did great on your demo today!

The only feedback I would give you in regards to the PSA read, is to pause a little longer for dramatic effect between in the first three sentences.

Other than that, nice read!

Kathy

RYoung
      Participant

You seem to start off well and describing the illness it sounded somewhat realistic. However on a PSA you could milk it even more I don’t mean cry but you could have sounded even more sad LOL. Then I think this read needs to have a turn, as in the line these are the warning signs should be highlighted in a different tone from the description of her illness like almost Stern in stating that, lastly the solution could almost be a little bit upbeat whereas I think you followed the same tone throughout if that makes sense. PSA is usually require a lot of acting, good luck with your demo and I hope that helps!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn – very good read! Sounds very believable for the add for your voice. Great tone, pitch and pauses at the right times, and you definitely were invested in the piece. Good luck tomorrow! You’ll do great!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

I enjoyed the performance!

svenbot5000
    Participant

Howdy! Just posting a quick one take recording for practice, any feedback is appreciated!

Quality Inn

When he checked in, he was Mr. Simmons. When he checked out, he was just plain Bob. Quality Inn. We’ll see you there.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Good natural type delivery on this! Only question I would have is the last line will see you there could have been a little more upbeat and maybe highlight the word you so that people think of themselves as The traveler hence good for the business. Hope that helps you!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Svenbot! I liked this read – very nice and upbeat and your voice is well-suited for this type of commercial. Good job!

Mary

lmayo13
    Participant

Hi,
    Wanted some feedback on a medical read. Content, sound quality etc…
    Thanks.

The corneal epithelium is a thin layer of fast-growing and easily regenerated tissue kept moist by tears. The epithelium absorbs oxygen and cell nutrients from tears, and then distributes these nutrients to the rest of the cornea. The part of the epithelium that serves as the foundation on which the epithelial cells anchor and organize themselves is called the basal membrane

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi LMayo! Great read! Your voice sounds very smooth, warm and calm, and very good for a script like this. Good pacing and enunciation throughout. Very good!

Mary

lmayo13
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Very lovely read. You have a great voice for medical narration. I would say with this read there were pauses so you could work on smoothing out the pauses and only pause between ideas/sentences. You did a much smoother read for the 2nd and 3rd sentence, so the first one os more “pause-y” than the other two. Really nice work!

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! I’m looking for any and all feedback here to my daily recording. This was recorded on my phone, so this is just for practice. Trying to sound authentic for this sort of commercial. Thank you!

Mary

Balance Bar
    A six-pack of lite beer is still a six-pack of beer. Eat with your head. With it’s 40-30-30 ratio of carbs, protein and dietary fat, Balance Bar is a great-tasting way to give your body the nutrition it needs. Plus it has 23 essential vitamins and minerals. To learn more, log on to Balance.com. Balance Bar. Eat with your head.

Attachments:
      svenbot5000
      Participant

Hi Mary! I think you have the right voice for this type of ad. Try to imagine that you’re talking to someone you know about this balance bar before you do the read. Pretend you’re really excited about letting them know that this is going to change their life. I believe this will help make the copy sound more conversational than just reading off the script. Hope that helps and keep up the good work!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Svenbot! I will work on visualizing talking to a friend about trying out the bar, good tip. I really get excited about energy bars in real life! Will try to ramp up the excitement too. Thank you!

Mary

Laura Copland
      Participant

Hi Mary,
      Cute attitude. It is a little choppy: for ex, consider the pause after the first “beer” and the pause after “Eat”, and “Plus” You do a great job of changing inflection on “is still” and “with your head”, so the pauses are unnecessary and make it sound stilted. Your delivery on 40-30-30 sounds almost bored, but it is a big deal, as is the first time you mention the product. The pause before “Balance Bar” is good as it makes us pay attention to what will come after. You might try a smile in your voice on the final joke of “eat with your head.” Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Laura, thanks for the feedback! I will work on the unnecessary pauses and choppiness, good points. More smiling during the read too is good. Thanks again!

Mary

kfvoice
    Participant

Happy Monday, all!

Here is my submission for today!

I did a documentary read from the script library. I am aware of background noise (not hydrated enough today), and would like feedback regarding anything else. It is appreciated.

Kathy

Animal Heroes

Not all heroes are human. Sometimes heroes bark, meow, or even grunt. They may be covered with fur, have curly tails, or live in an alley. We’re about to meet some real-life animal heroes. Each one of these heroes has performed an amazing rescue. Sometimes they even put themselves in danger to help others. We’ll meet a dog who rescues stray cats. A brave cat who saved her five kittens from a fire. A pig who got help for her owner who was having a heart attack. And a guide dog who led his owner down 71 flights of stairs when the World Trade Center was attacked.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Kathy! I liked this read. It was warm, well paced and with good micro-pauses between thoughts to let the listener hear and understand what was being said. Good natural tone. Good job!

Mary

kfvoice
        Participant

Thanks Mary!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.