Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Erik B
    Participant

Hello everybody. This is the first time I’ve posted on the updated Feedback Forum. Please feel free to provide feedback on my performace and recording quality.

Crayola Markers

Crayola Color Wonder Markers color only on special paper. So your kids can express their creativity more often … In more places … with less mess.
    Crayola Color Wonder. It starts with Crayola.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Toque
      Participant

Hi Erik. I liked it as well. Great voice, tone, pacing, etc. The only, very minor thing that stood out to me a bit was that, to my ear, the word “creativity” felt the tiniest bit over-enunciated. I know finding that balance, between good enunciation and sounding natural/conversational, can be a tough one. Overall, great read! Toque

Robert Broussard
      Participant

I liked it. Good read!

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Erik!

I think the tone of your voice fits this script very well. As for audio quality, it sounded good on my end.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Erik! First of all, welcome!

I liked this read – great energy (I will learn from you!) and pacing and enunciation throughout. Your voice sounds well-suited for this genre. Keep it up!

Mary

Erik B
    Participant

reply #59808

Mary, the pace of your read was good. In addition you enunciated clearly. The one thing I noted was that the energy didn’t fit the copy. The read is for a gym, your tone needs to have more umph and energy. But overall good read.

chas82
    Participant

I’m very early into my Commercial training and am trying to apply my coach’s comments after Lesson #1 to this and future reads. Some of those are: have a point of view, be connected to the copy, be conversational and engaging and don’t present, – talk. I’m also getting closer to creating a good recording environment at home but not there yet so forgive the typical newbie tech issues. Appreciate any and all feedback.

Audi

Why did we need to go to the moon? To make footprints in the dust? No, it was to make the unreachable reachable, to inspire people everywhere to do what couldn’t be done. At Audi, it inspired us too. The countdown has begun to put Quattro through its toughest test: the moon’s surface. With the technology that took on the Earth’s elements, we’ll drive in the footsteps of those first astronauts, pushing our knowledge forward. Why do we need to go to the moon? We don’t, we choose to do it, because now, maybe more than ever, choosing the moon brings out the best in us.

Attachments:
      reeyab
      Participant

This is great! I honestly think car commercials can be super challenging, as they tend to be a bit grandiose (and almost melodramatic) for what they are advertising. (Given the season, we’re being bombarded with those “a car is a great Xmas gift for your spouse” commercials and they are driving my SO insane, haha.) Your voice is a perfect match for the sort of “this is bigger than a car” premise of the spot, and I loved your pacing. Awesome job!

Toque
      Participant

I think Mary’s comments nailed it. Great job! T

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Chas! I like this read. You have a nice, warm tone. Your pacing and clarity were great, as well as the words emphasized. It sounded very natural. Very good!

Mary

Toque
    Participant

Hi again all. A couple of comparatively different pieces today. Honest feedback is appreciated, and thanks so much to all who have commented on yesterday’s post!

Allstate script: Truth is, motorcycle insurance costs about the same. What’s not the same, is the coverage. Now you can get the AllState protection you need.. for a price you can
    afford. Talk to an All State agent today. Are you in good hands?

Pier 1 Sale script: Hi, my name is Ron and for the next two weeks, I’ll be saying the word “and” a lot and I’m
    pretty sure it’s because the Pier 1 Sale is going on now and it will end on January 10 and
    yeah, that’s soon, scary, and I know that you can come to your local Pier 1 store to save up
    to 50%, and sometimes more, on yummy scented candles and cool upholstered chairs and
    really pretty mirrors and colorful pillows that are so, so cute and bedroom furniture that is
    like real legitimate wood and oh, and this storage ottoman that is CHEETAH and how cool
    is it that it’s CHEETAH and I really want it and I’m probably going to get it and maybe some
    of that super cool dinnerware and maybe some new barstools for my new place AND some
    bookshelves because I have a ton of books and little sparkly things and I really just want
    my place to look nice, so why wouldn’t I get it before January 10 while it’s up to 50% off at
    the Pier 1 Sale and is that a harp sound? I like harps

Attachments:
      Amitofu
      Participant

Kudos to both performances!

The Pier 1 ad is super-intimidatingly long. You did a great job and I don’t envy you haha. It might take a few more runs than it’s worth, but if I were you I’d try jam packing as quickly as you can through it, a bit to the point of absurdity. Then when you slow it back down a bit, you can navigate it real quick. I just imagine that if this were say a radio ad, you might have to stuff the entire ad into a tiny timeslot. proportionally this one is tough. Not saying you did anything wrong, just a ‘variation’ I’d have up my sleeve if this is a situation you think you might find yourself in later

kind regards,
      Alex

Toque
        Participant

Thanks Alex! T

kfvoice
      Participant

Great reads, Toque! Both scripts sound ready to go! Script two was hilarious! Terrific job on that run-on sentence, like Mary mentioned!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Toque, great reads! Allstate was good – very straightforward and comfortable / authentic. Pier 1 was totally cracking me up! I could really hear the smile in your voice and the inflections were all over the place (in a good way, especially for this script), which made it really fun to listen to as the story was being told. I think too for this script which is basically a run-on sentence, your choice of where to take breaths seemed very natural as well. Really nice work! Loved it.

Mary

chas82
      Participant

I thought both were very well done. The tone you chose for the Allstate was great conversational – it made me feel like we were friends and you were giving me solid advice based on personal experience.

Pier 1 was a killer! It felt like I was listening to a performance with 3-4 different and distinct characters. You seamlessly moved from one to another, bringing up the level of energy and amazement each time. Great choice of key words and phrases to emphasize and the variations you used to differentiate the contents of the list in the middle of the script were textbook to my ears. If there were any technical mistakes, I didn’t hear them because I was drawn into the story you were telling. Bravo!

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Thank you I appreciate the positive feedback! I have a coaching session today so I will see what my coach mentions about genres and niches my voice fits. I may be over thinking it but I’m so concerned with where to market myself as I don’t want to market myself in an area I don’t fit because that is like just bashing your head into a wall LOL

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

sorry this was meant to go on the last upload I did… not sure how it ended up here and can’t delete lol..

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a recording (that I recorded on my phone) for any and all feedback. Looking for commercials that I can relate to, and boxing suits that for me (no sparring, only bags) thanks!

Mary

Fit and Fight
    Do you want to be fit? Do you want to fight? Well, let’s go! Fit and Fight is the only gym where you can fight to get fit, get fit to fight, or do both. Get fit with an IFBB world champion bodybuilder. Learn to fight with a German amateur boxing champion. And did I mention it’s a friendly gym? Well, it isn’t. If you want a friend, get a dog. If you want to get fit and learn how to fight, you know where you need to be: Fit and Fight.

Attachments:
      reeyab
      Participant

Hi Mary! First of all, I LOVED the way you did the two “lists” in this copy. Lists are the hardest for me to nail without getting too monotonous. I do think that this would benefit from a more aggressive read – the speaker is basically commanding us to go to a hard-core gym where the “product” (such as it is – getting fit) won’t be provided in a touchy-feely way. I think something more authoritative would help get the message across. I did love your delivery about getting a dog if you want a friend – it made me chuckle. I think you’ve got the basic foundation for this copy down in terms of pacing – just… be more intimidating!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Reeyab, thanks for the feedback! I really have to work on lists too. I will try for a more aggressive and authoritative read and reload one of these days soon. This script was interesting to me – like you say it is pushing people to push themselves without a lot of hand-holding. Thanks again!

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Good job Mary.

Amitofu
      Participant

In my opinion, this is one of the few exception in voice over where you have to take a VERY accusative tone to the listener. It’s definitely a mood shift; needs to be high energy and short bursts. Each punctuation should be like a solid right hook, haha.

Here’s a scene from Ali : Muhamad Ali responding to the Vietnam war – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XwYh8FZzdQ
      same kinda energy needs to flow.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Amitofu! I will work on that. I saw the clip, interesting! I will work on that sort of punctuation and energy, like you say accusatory. Thanks!\

Mary

Erik B
      Participant

Mary, the pace of your read was good. In addition you enunciated clearly. The copy is for a fight gym, your energy level needs to match the copy. But overall good read.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Erik, thanks for the feedback! I will work on the energy. In my head this is like level 9 of 10, so I don’t want to overdo it or sound phony. I will work on it – Thanks

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Hi Mary. Overall a good read. The one note I might make is something I struggle with as well – Energy. It just feels a bit like you’re holding back on the excitement/enthusiasm for the gym. Toque

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Toque, thanks for the feedback! Yes, I do struggle with energy as well. For a gym read I agree that it needs to be full of energy, but this one also has a no-nonsense vibe, like hey we’re here if you want to work for it, but we’re not going to chase you down or bend over backwards to be a “friendly gym”, you have to want to be fit to come here, So, for that reason I tried for a more take it or leave it approach (however they may not be what the advertising world wants). Thanks again! Really appreciate it.

Mary

Amitofu
    Participant

Hey everyone!
    Trying to record my first (commercial) demo without a VO coach! (pandemic, am I right?) So be as critical as you please. I’m going to do more stuff with edge soon, but for right now this is my first shot at it.

Thanks!

Script:

*You love coffee. You do! It’s the first thing in the morning that makes you say Ahh!!! David’s – fresh campfire roast – coming soon.

*Oh deary me no, no that wont work at all. My sweet cheeks deserve the 4 ply strength only charmin can provide. When nature calls, I call the front desk, and ask for Charmin.

*I was so out of luck, I felt like I was checking the Amish section of farmers-only.com, but when I switched Westbank united, things looked … hopeful. Now when I check my savings account I don’t have to worry.

*A: “It’s taco night!~~”
    B: “Yesyesyesyesyes, I love taco night!”
    A: “We won’t tell your dad we’re using Hank’s vegan chili again”
    B: “I can’t wait, are you going to start cooking now?”
    A: “soon enough”
    B: “It’s so good. It makes me say muuuuy deliscioso…ahem

*You’re listening to our non-stop kids hour podcast; next up is Oliver’s Fox Squad, here on KidsChoice, the only podcast just for you!

*If you’re looking for insurance for whatever life throws your way, then you need to get Bryant Family Life Security.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Alex!

Impressive. Great range in voices for each script, and varying your tone and pitch.

My feedback:

I understand as a voice actor we need to interpret the script for delivery; what the client wants, but we also need to read the script as written (no adding or eliminating words, pausing).

Script 3: You said “to”, but forgot to include it in your script here. I am sure it was a minor typing error. I also noticed a micro-pause in your sentence, “Now when I check my savings account I don’t have to worry.” Unless it’s built into the script, again, watch for pausing mid-sentence. (I noticed it in script 2, as well. Minor, but noticeable.)

Audio and production quality sounded good on my end.

Just my thoughts. Overall, great job!

Thank you, too, for the feedback.

Kathy

Toque
      Participant

Hi Amitofu. First, thanks so much for your great feedback on my posting below. Really appreciate it.I’ll make my comments for each of your reads in the order they appear:

First read: Sounds great!

Second read:Not sure if that’s an English accent you’re trying to effect, or just a bit of a character accent? If English (and as someone with an English mother, grandmother, etc) I’d say it’s so-so and could use some work. My coach’s advice has been to avoid doing accents unless they’re “spot on”.

Third read: Great also – just one minor bit of slurring the word “savings” in “savings account”.

Fourth read: Great.

Fifth read: (Oliver’s Fox Squad) – I loved this one! I can easily imagine hearing it on a promo during Saturday morning cartoons!

Sixth read: Also very good. As with Mary’s comments, I’m impressed with the range of voices you have. Great work!

Toque.

Amitofu
        Participant

Thanks so much. I definitely appreciate you going into detail and I’m glad you found my feedback helpful as well. The second voice was essentially a character voice. I’ve never really practiced an authentic British accent; ‘maybe’ in the distant future I’ll attempt one but this wasn’t meant to be an example, haha.

Thanks again.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Amitofu! Wow, really nice variation of reads with great production. Each segment showed a very nice sample of your voice and each segment had great emotion and authenticity. All of the segments seem really suited for your voice, and all of them sounded like they are already out there. Very good!

Mary

Amitofu
        Participant

Thanks! I sincerely appreciate it.

mrtripo9
    Participant

Here is a short Bio narration of one of my favorite writers , My coach wanted me to post some of recordings for critic, help me out guys!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi MrTripo9, good read! You have a nice warm, rich voice that seems good for this script. I would agree too in that some words were hard to understand, some of them for me were burials and genre.

I realize too this is for practice, but there were a couple of extra words (not typed at least) that were added into what you read. If this were a paying gig, the person who hired you might take offense to the script not being read exactly as written.
      “but he made his living as Americas first literary critic and theoretician” was read as
      “but he made his living as Americas first great literary critic and a theoretician
      Otherwise good read!

Mary

Amitofu
      Participant

Off the top of my head, I would say you at least need a little emphasis on the first mention of the name “Poe” especially since it’s one syllable and the subject of your read. I would also say the ennunciation overall need to be both polished and made more fluid. No offence but it sounds like English might not be your first language. Words that stood out: Madmen, Burials, Returned, inventor, modern, innovator, genre, literary, theoretician. Between the pronociation and the rhythm it made it a little chaotic.
      Not horrible, but as voice over artists, we need to be clear every word – the audience can never ask us afterward what we said. Reading out loud and parroting audio you hear carefully, will improve you quickly I think.

Good luck!

mrtripo9
        Participant

very candid, I appreciate !

mrtripo9
      Participant

The name poe brings to mind images of murderous madmen, premature burials and mysterious women who returned form the dead. He is widely acknowledged as the inventor of the modern detective story and an innovator in the science fiction genre , but he made his living as Americas first literary critic and theoretician

Michelle
    Participant

Hello all! This is my first time posting on here. I look forward to the feedback!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Michelle! Welcome! I like you voice – very nice and friendly and with good clarity. There seemed to be some unnecessary pauses in a couple of spots, but that’s a minor point. For me I typically have to read and re-read and get really familiar with the script, then when I record it flows a little better. Overall good job, keep it up!

Mary

Michelle
        Participant

Thank you Mary! I appreciate the feedback

Amitofu
      Participant

Hey. Good read overall; I’m just going to touch on things that (I think) could use improvement.

Voice acting-wise: It needs a little more energy/believability. The inflections were mostly-all good and there, but they felt underpowered if that makes sense. If I were trying to give the read, I would imagine that I were a warm teacher giving confident(~authoritative) yet nurturing caring advice (“Nature’s Way is the obvious choice”. It also felt like the word “Sambucas” could use a bit of tweaking, especially since it’s part of the brand name. Try several variations and practices until it sounds second nature. Overall not bad for a first read though.

The technical aspect: This part overshadowed the Acting part because it was the first and last part I noticed initially. I’m not sure what your personal context is so take as needed. If you’re just practicing/honing your skills then absolutely do that first before dumping excessive amounts of money into proper equipment/environment treatment. That being said

– There’s a steady hum/hiss throughout the clip that will absolutely rend any audio engineer’s ear.
      – You had a number of both plosives and rustlings in the clip. There’s also minor things in the background. Some things you might not be able to control because of your budget, but using a popfilter (or pencil trick) and some other actor techniques, will cut down on the quality being effected.
      – There was a subtle echo where you can just tell the room isn’t sound treated. It wasn’t super-noticable, but its something you want to be aware of when you do sound treatment in the future because not even the best DAW or microphone will help you remove it AFTER you record, short of a pact with the devil.
      – If you’re just starting out, don’t worry about this til late game but using a custom EQ will help compliment your voice.

but, like I said, if you’re just starting out or just messing around for practice, don’t hyper-focus on the technical/equipment aspect; training your voice always comes first. So those were my thoughts anyway. I don’t mean to be harsh, and I only say as much as I did because I know there’s a deep well of potential.

Cheers on your journey! Keep at it.

(ps – traditionally auditions are submitted in .mp3 files and final project in .wav files – yours is in .m4a > minor detail to look out for in the future, but also probably why your attachment didn’t appear with a handy-dandy website embeded player for this forum.)

Michelle
        Participant

Thank you for all of this! Yes it is true, I recorded it on my phone at my kitchen table. Not sound treated at all! I just wanted to get something out there to practice the read. But I really do love all of the feedback. Thank you for taking the time.

Toque
    Participant

Hey folks! I’m new and just starting to work with a coach toward developing a demo. Would really appreciate your honest feedback on this first posting. I look forward to your comments, and providing same for your projects. Thanks! Toque

Here’s the direction for the piece:

This is a serious spot defending American jobs. Towards the end, VO should be urging viewer to take action. Not too over the top of an attack, but it should convey some disappointment and frustration with partisan Washington politics that prevents progress on jobs.

And here’s the script:

You sent a message to Washington.
    Loud and clear.
    Focus on the economy and jobs.
    Show the taxpayers that Congress can work again.

Unfortunately, others have a different agenda.
    The same politicians who brought us a government shutdown and led the U.S. to the brink of default have a new bad idea:
    Ending the X-M Bank, which is designed to help American employers and American jobs.
    These jobs and workers in the Export-Import economy deserve support.
    Do the right thing for our economy and support the X-M Bank.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Toque. Reason: forgot to add text of script
    Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Toque,

I like your performance. The tone and and pace are spot on. The only critique I have is watch out for unnecessary pauses, I only heard one between economy and jobs. But overall good job.

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hi Toque! Nice audio quality and you have a very nice voice. A few notes on the read would be the first line had an uptick in your pitch so it made it sound like a question – “You sent a message to Washington?” I’ve done it too haha! And then I think it is carefully paced so if you note how you are in conversation, when we are in a conversation we don’t pace ourselves so carefully right. I think if you paced this out a bit quicker it may also help that passion and frustration you are supposed to convey come through. Great work though, keep it up! Very exciting that you are working towards a demo.

Toque
        Participant

Thanks Katelyn! Good notes. T

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Toque! Good read. Your voice is very warm and smooth. This script feels like a call to action to me. As such, I think the first 4 lines should be strong and decisive, and with a little more intensity. The second part, starting with “unfortunately” is giving the audience a proposed solution to the case as stated in the first 4 lines. Overall good read!

Mary

Toque
        Participant

Thank you Mary! T

Amitofu
      Participant

Sounds good. Three things I noticed to improve on:

The first line – “You sent a message to Washington” the inflection you used sounds a little like a mix of a question and a statement, which a little-bit undermined the confident tone of the rest of the read.

Secondly, I would consider using dramatic pauses a little more judiciously. The whole read is of course dramatic, but oversaturated with pauses, every pause can feel like an opportunity for the audience to stop listening/caring. If I had to single a pause out, eg; “(who) led the US to the brink of default [ ] have a new bad idea”. As odd as it sounds to say, the fluidity of that read is more important than giving extra time to underline the bad things they’ve done (ofc strictly in terms of VO, haha).

Thirdly, at around 0:28 – “Help” has a noticeable plosive. I didn’t really comb the rest for similar fumbles, but just thought I’d point it out.

Good read, but especially for a demo, you want it to be basically flawless.

joshtaylor
      Participant

Hey Toque! I’m unsure on the platform this read is meant for. Your read comes off (to me) like I’m listening to an audiobook. You have a great voice for narration! But if it’s supposed to be for a PSA or commercial etc, it could use a bit more projection, energy/intensity, and believability that you’re face to face with these people. Build the environment for the listeners. Thanks for posting and keep at it!

Toque
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Josh! It’s actually reflective of something I said to my coach the other day, which was that I often feel like I’m narrating too much, and not “acting” the part enough. Much appreciated! T

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.