Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    RYoung
    Participant

This is a popular practice script, kinda country feel so I tried to give it a more motivational tone, any thoughts are welcome!

4H
    It began with the seed of an idea.
    In 1902, the heartland needed folks to embrace new advances in agriculture.
    But leaders with open minds, strong hearts and willing hands weren’t in abundance.
    Luckily, kids were.
    By empowering the next generation to lead, 4/H took root.
    And grew.
    Grew kids who are confident and strong.
    Who are curious enough to question
    And capable enough to find the answer.
    Who stick to a job until the job gets done.
    Who know how to work with others
    And how to lead.
    4/H has kept right on growing.
    Out of the farms and into the towns
    From the suburbs to the cities
    Anywhere curiosity roams
    And confidence thrives.
    Anywhere technology can be advanced
    And achievement is valued.
    Anywhere positive change is possible
    And giving back moves entire communities forward.
    When you think about it, it makes sense that we began with farming.
    After all,
    True leaders aren’t born.
    They’re grown.
    4/H GROWS HERE

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      RYoung
      Participant

Much appreciate all the comments!

PrettyLoud
      Participant

Hi RYoung, such a nice voice for this kind of read. I felt the country, motivational vibe you were going for. It was very matter-of-fact. Practical farmer. And totally worked. I think if you were to do a second take, I wonder how you’d sound if you were a grandparent story-teller feeling nostalgic, remembering working on the land as a child yourself, proud of seeing what has grown out of an idea from 1902 to give kids skills. Really well done!

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Wow, that was awesome! I could see the drone panning across a field of amber waves of grain, flowing heartily in the wind, as you read. It’s a long read, so tone is super important, I think, in order to keep the listener engaged. I particularly liked your tone at the end of thoughts; an example being “…confident and strong.” (:26) And, “…how to lead.” (:35) I love how you stretch it the slightest bit in order to give it more credence and importance. “…how to leeead.” Great read!! Sorry, my critique is on what you did very well–couldn’t find flaws.

RYoung
        Participant

Hi Mitch, I appreciate your compliments and the way you analyze reads very helpful! I wanted to leave a comment for you on your motel 6 read you and done recently, however it’s a few pages back and you may not see it and unfortunately there’s no notification that a comment is coming in. Of the old forum you would get an email that someone had commented on one of your reads but too bad I guess good things don’t last forever. Anyway I enjoyed your connectivity and flow with the motel 6 and the conversational style delivery the only suggestion I would have is the ending where you kind of revert back to an announcer style with motel 6 as you could keep the same folksy conversational tone for the last line anyway great work on that and hope to hear more from you!

Mitch_Crawford
          Participant

Thanks for that–I would’ve missed it for sure! I’m pretty new to VO, so I do tend to revert to announcer style. I’m trying to focus on my own voice and avoid ‘acting’. Thanks for the feedback! I have two new ones coming up in a couple minutes and would love for you to analyze them.

Elvie
      Participant

Hello Ryoung, Great job! I love the music in the background. I think it would help if you pace yourself a little slower in your read. At times it felt to rush but other than that you did Awesome!

mkell755
    Participant

Hello there! Here are 2 reads of the same script for any and all feedback. Which one sounds more believable for the script (if either)? I’m also interested in the sound levels and quality of the recording. I tried Normalizing the recording on Audacity per some earlier suggestions, let me know know if it helped (or created other issues!) ha. Thank you to everyone for listening and offering input!

Mary

Birds Eye: Cheddar Broccoli Bake
    Introducing the Cheddar Broccoli Bake from Birds Eye. A creamy, gooey, melty, deliciously decadent way to eat broccoli….Yes Please! Birds Eye – a new twist on veggies.

Attachments:
      Robert Broussard
      Participant

Both were good Mary, I think I like #2 a little better. Good work.

PrettyLoud
      Participant

Sounds really clear. I really liked your “Yes, please” on the second take. I think you were going with natural, conversational, not over doing it and you absolutely succeeded! I think for a third take, you could give yourself permission to be over-the-top. What does it sound like when you’re really enjoying your yummy words list, and painting a picture for us of how gooey and delicious the dish is? Such a pleasure to hear you!! Thanks for sharing.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback PrettyLoud! I will try a completely over the top version and post it here, thanks for the suggestion. How far can it be pushed? That’s something I would like to know. Thanks for listening!

Mary

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Hi Mary! I liked how you did the list items in the second one better–you changed up the tone on the items so it didn’t seem as much like a bullet list. What if that list sounded even more s**y/enticing? Yes, eating broccoli can actually be as such, especially with these yummy words! Fun read!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Mitch, thanks for the feedback! I will try a more enticing / seductive version and see how it goes, thanks for the suggestion! In my head it starts to feel too over the top, but then a lot of advertising is over the top but accepted – it just might work for a broccoli add. Thanks again!

Mary

Elvie
      Participant

Hi, I like the first one better. It seem you were more friendly, relatable and your read was more smoother on the first than the second one. Great work!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Elvie! I’m working to smooth things out, so thanks!

Mary

[email protected]
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Here’s my assignment from the Cold Reads class for review. I am new to ALL of this, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
      PrettyLoud
      Participant

Cynthia, you sound fantastic!! I’d never have known you were new. You sound great on all these reads. I always like to think of how to do a second take, so here are my ideas. I think for the 4-H one, your first take is engaging, up tempo, and direct. So for contrast, a second take could be slightly slower, quieter, and story-teller-like. I love HR benefits video script; fantastic smile in that script–for second take options, I wonder what quickening the pace slightly and smoothing the phrases would sound like. Aetna was also great–good brand name billboarding–for a second take, contrast might be nurturing, soft-spoken, caring… You sound great! Thanks for sharing these. Looking forward to hearing more of you here.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Cynthia! Welcome! Good job on these. I liked all 3 of them, and the nice textured rasp in your voice!
      Script 1: Good energy and attitude. You might try a slight micro-pause after “kids were!” to help get the point across that 4H is all about the kids leading themselves for just a little bit more emphasis. Small thing!
      Script 2: Good read. Good variation of the list of items starting from at about 23 seconds at “company polices,…” to the end of the script.
      Script 3: Sounded quite a bit quieter than the other two. Also it seemed like the first phrase was a little disconnected from the rest of the sentence – “no matter where we live,” sounded like “no matter where we live.” (with a period, not a comma) , I think for the phrase to make sense it should flow just a little better if that makes sense. Good job!

Mary

Mary

tomnunes
    Participant

Hello, Edge Community. I am looking for feedback on my read for this script. Feedback on both technique and audio are welcome. Thank you for your time.

Spec: The user will be guided through the training course by a Professor avatar. The professor is between 50 and 60 years old. The speaker will lead through the training as a (sometimes a little bit absent-minded) professor. The voice should be friendly and inviting. He should convey this dry topic in a playful, relaxed, and factual way. The target-group is employees in technical development, but also people who only deal with the topic on the periphery.

Script: There are different variants of hybrid drives. One of them is the so-called parallel hybrid. For this variant, the electric motor and the combustion engine work together to propel the vehicle, by having both of them connected to the transmission. When fuel reaches the engine or the electric motor is switched on, the generated power propels the car. The energy management system determines when to operate the electric motor and when to switch to the internal combustion engine.

Attachments:
      Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Love the lead in! It’s a great read, keeping to the specs nicely. I love how you slightly over-pronounce the word “fuel” at :20. It gives it a friendly, natural tone. Tough to find flaws, but if there was anything, consider the tone on the words “energy management system.” Seems like it runs with the rest of the sentence. Consider separating that component with the slightest pause to emphasize what you are talking about next, giving the reader a chance to transition their thoughts to the energy management system from the previous topic (the car being propelled). “The energy management system determines….” Super minor thought, but it was the only place I lost focus on the topic. Great read Tom!

tomnunes
        Participant

Not a minor thought at all. It’s one of the things I’m working on improving, so thank you or pointing it out. Thank you for taking the time to listen and for your thoughtful comments.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tom, very nice! Good recording quality and great lead-in too. Your voice is warm and welcoming and informational. Good pacing to help the listener keep up with what you are telling the,\m. Very good!

Mary

tomnunes
        Participant

Thank you for your time and kind words, Mary.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Good job with the performance and the recording quality

tomnunes
    Participant

Hello, Edge Community. I am looking for feedback on my read for this script. Feedback on both technique and audio are welcome. Thank you for your time.

Spec: Male between the ages of 50-60. Narration track will accompany a 360 video presentation on the disease state and effects of diabetic macular edema. The role is of a physician so the reading should be warm and reassuring to give viewers a feeling of comfort.

Script: Hello! I’m Dr. Meyer and today I’ll answer those questions to help you better understand your disease, how treatment works, and the results typically seen by patients who follow their recommended treatment schedule.

Let’s start by taking a closer look inside of your eye.

Diabetic macular edema, or DME, is a severe, vision threatening complication of diabetes that occurs when damaged blood vessels leak fluid into the macula, the part of your retina responsible for sharp, straight-ahead vision. This fluid buildup can cause the macula to swell and thicken, which can disrupt your vision.

Attachments:
      Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Hi Tom! I love the transition from the first paragraph to the third. Your tempo is great, and the inflection of the word “inside” is stellar! Only gripe is that your pronunciation of the word edema seems to have an ‘n’ in it, as it ‘ENdema.’ Great read!

tomnunes
        Participant

Doh! You’re right, Mitch! Great catch. Thank you!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tom, very nice! Definitely warm and reassuring. Very clear and straightforward. Your voice is very well-suited for this genre!

Mary

tomnunes
        Participant

Thank you, Mary!

tomnunes
    Participant

Spec: A friendly “handyman” describes how to install the Fenix Easy Open Gate Latch to a DIY consumer. Knowledgeable, trusted, warm, patient, but not folksy. An authoritative step-by-step explanation.

Script: In this video, we’ll show you how to install the Fenix Easy Open Gate Latch. The Fenix Easy Open Gate Latch functions as both a handle and a latch for wood, vinyl or metal gates. After this simple installation, your Fenix Easy Open Gate Latch will provide one-handed operation from either side of your gate with a simple push or pull.
    To install your Fenix Easy Open Gate latch, you’ll need a drill with an eighth-inch bit, a screwdriver or power driver, a tape measure, and a pencil. The latch requires a gap of at least 5/8 of an inch between the post and the gate.

Attachments:
      PrettyLoud
      Participant

Everything I’ve heard from your postings from today sounds great. You have a fantastic voice, great pacing, good articulation. You’ve essentially got explainers in the bag–congrats!! Can’t wait to hear you on commercial copy!! Your lead-in for the Hybrid explainer, with all that smile and ease, will be your golden ticket to selling stuff in commercial copy. Looking forward to hearing more of you.

tomnunes
        Participant

Thank you so much for these kind and encouraging words! I’ll definitely post some commercials in the future. Take care!

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Great read Tom! I agree with Steve on the 5/8s. What I love the most is how you tackle that list! (:27) Your pauses are perfect, and the subtle shift in tone is outstanding! I really have to work at lists, but you have them spot on. Love this read!

tomnunes
        Participant

Thanks, Mitch. Yeah, lists are tricky. I imagined the video might be showing the item one at a time, so the pauses made sense. Other lists are hard not to make them sound like a Powerpoint slide. :). And good catch on the 5/8’s as well. Thanks, again.

Elvie
      Participant

Nice job Tom! You sure sound friendly, warm and trust worthy handyman. So clear, great recording.

tomnunes
        Participant

Thank you 🙂

solin232
      Participant

Hi tomnunes, You have a very comfortable voice, I thought this read was right on the money! I think you followed all the directions in the specs and everything was nice and clear.
      The only thing I myself would change is “5/8 of an inch” to “5/8’s (plural) of an inch”.
      I really enjoyed listening !
      Steve

tomnunes
        Participant

Great catch on the 5/8’s, Steve. Thanks for the kind words.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tom, great work! Very helpful feel to this one. Sounds warm and patient and not folksy or patronizing – well done!

Mary

SuperLuke
      Participant

Fantastic performance for a “how to” recording. Great recording quality

tomnunes
        Participant

Thank you, SuperLuke!

Azalealearning
    Participant

Hello Edge VO Community! I am participating in a Scripts and Cold Reads workshop and my homework is to get feedback on the script below. Your honest opinion, tips, criticisms are welcome. 🙂

Attachments:
      Elvie
      Participant

Hi, The volume on the first one is lower than the second. You sound friendly and your pace is good. I like the second one, maybe because I can hear it better. Great job on both!

SuperLuke
      Participant

Good job slating, and recording quality, thanks for doing your performance twice, couldn’t hear it the first time. Good performance as a cold read.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Kristen, really good work! You sounded really friendly and approachable. I like the smile and attitude in your voice in the first read – nice! Good pacing and energy for all of them.

I agree, the volume on the first one was low, and the other two had good (higher) volumes. Very nice work, keep it up!

Mary

Msbvoice
      Participant

Nice, very nice. Makes me lean in and want to listen more. Smooth, sweet and smart sound. The volume was low on the first one though. I love how each person I am listening to has such a different and strong voice.

badams13
    Participant

Hello everyone, these are my Submissions for a HW assignment for a Self Direction and Cold Read class. Your input and honest critique is greatly appreciated. These scripts were all gathered from the VO Library.

Attachments:
      Elvie
      Participant

Hello, My favorite was the haunting. You took it way down at slower pace and your read was good. For the Sandals I felt it too rush, maybe work on pacing. The JCPenny script did not seem like regular JCPenny script. Did you write it? the lottery was good, liked your energy. Overall great work!

Msbvoice
      Participant

It does seem like the room sound/noise is an issue. Maybe room echo? I use my clothes closet with sound panels on the bare walls and a cargo blankets on the open areas. There are many different options on studio set ups. Depends on money. Again, I use my clothes closet. It works for me. And I use Audacity with the many plug-ins to clean the recording up. But I have been told that Adobe Audition is better although I have not looked into that yet. Voice is great though and engaging.

Azalealearning
      Participant

Hi! I am in the workshop as well and thought I would provide some feedback. I listened to the JCPenny read. It sounds like you were more casual and comfortable toward the end of the read. Your energy was higher and there was more variation in your voice. Excited even! If you start with that same energy, this would make me want to go to the sale as a listener. Great work!

badams13
      Participant

I need to work more with my home studio as I know there are some abrupt cut off spots

Msbvoice
    Participant

Better late than never. This is for the Self Direction and Cold Read class. Let me know what you think if you can. Thanks, Mark

Attachments:
      HollyBlythe
      Participant

Hi Mark. I’m in this class too. I liked your pacing and timbre in all of these. Don’t rush the company name “Jack in the Box.” Hearing an “um or “mm” just before “Jack.”

“Has Been Toys” is read loudly and clearly!

SuperLuke
        Participant

I really enjoyed all of your performances Mark. The music and sound effects were nice too. You did a great job pacing yourself and being the characters in each recording, staying in the moment.

Azalealearning
      Participant

Hi Mark! Fellow workshop attendee here… I listened to all three of your reads and I must say your voice has great range. I especially thought the third read for the toy was the best. If i were listening on the radio without seeing what you were selling, i would want to look it up when i got home especially if i were a kid. Great work! The only feedback I would give would be on the background music. It’s a nice touch but i had a hard time hearing you over some parts of it. Best, Kristen

badams13
      Participant

All of these are great and I’m loving the music/ sound effects incorporated as well. #1 really made me want to go to Jack N The Box
      On the second one, I personally would’ve went more down on my voice in the “I would take them there” Kind of like real evil/ menacing but the way you went was good as well. They all are really good

Mdmcghee34
    Participant

Hello Everyone! Hope you all had a pleasant weekend. I uploaded two narration scripts. I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Have a great day.

Attachments:
      Mdmcghee34
      Participant

Thank you both for your feedback!

SuperLuke
      Participant

Nice voice for the read. However, the volume level is a problem, I could barely hear you in your performance.

Msbvoice
      Participant

Volume was off a bit. But the read sounded nice, especially the second one. Smooth voice,nice.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.