Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    touzet
    Participant

Fla Keys – :30 second TV (Accompanies diving and nature video scenes)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by touzet.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Msbvoice
      Participant

When I first listened I didn’t hear anything odd about “found”, second time, after reading the reviews I thought I did. Then the third listen I didn’t. My ears were playing games with me. But, Wow, Awesome. Ever think of doing voiceovers for a living Touzet? I’m packing my bags (in my mind) right now and heading to Fla. I wish. It’s -2 here, up from -17 last night.

kevinwiland
      Participant

Love this!!! I especially like your enphasis on CONserve.
      A nit-pick … At 0:16 there is something strange about your pronunciation of the word “found”. It might sound like you said, “frowned it.”
      Great job!

touzet
        Participant

Thanks for giving this a listen. Since the word prior to CONserve was PREserve, I felt like a little emphasis was due there on CON…trying to be careful not to overdo it. I listened to the “found” at 0:16 a few times… I’m not hearing an issue there but might be able to make the diction a little crisper. Without getting totally slosh-mouthed (<-technical term) , seems like you have to loosen the diction a little on a very laid back spot. Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Touzet, really nice! I could picture myself hearing this on the radio as I was driving to Florida. Great laid back vibe and feel and production too – very good!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Wow…excellent. I agree with Robert. I could close my eyes and picture myself there. Great read!

Robert Broussard
      Participant

That was a good read. I like the pace and the laid back tone in your voice.

Bil-Bo
    Participant

If Dr. Seuss Were a Technical Writer…..
    Here’s an easy game to play.
    Here’s an easy thing to say:
    If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
    And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
    Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!
    If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
    And the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash,
    And your data is corrupted ’cause the index doesn’t hash,
    then your situation’s hopeless, and your system’s gonna crash!
    You can’t say this? What a shame, sir!
    We’ll find you another game, sir.
    If the label on the cable on the table at your house,
    Says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
    But your packets want to tunnel on another protocol,
    That’s repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall,
    And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss,
    So your icons in the window are as wavy as a s***e,
    Then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
    ‘Cause as sure as I’m a poet, the sucker’s gonna hang!
    When the copy of your floppy’s getting sloppy on the disk,
    And the microcode instructions cause unnecessary risk,
    Then you have to flash your memory and you’ll want to ram your rom.
    Quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your mom!

2021 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss

The Chevy Silverado Trail Boss
    When you have a two inch lift…
    When you have Goodyear Duratrack tires…
    When you have Rancho shocks…and an integrated dual exhaust…
    When you have all that…
    The last thing you’ll need…is a road…
    The Chevy Silverado Trail Boss…
    Ready to off-road…right from the factory.
    Chevy….find new roads…

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hey Bil-Bo, excellent for both reads! I love the versatility in your voice and the very different feel for both of the reads – these sound like they could have easily been 2 different people! That’s great that you can do both so well. Good production too. Good job!

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

Tongue twister to truck commercial now that’s a good range Nice work Bill! Hey have you tried Ray the Firefly sounds like it might be up your alley I recorded it sometime back but not sure if I want to post it.

Bil-Bo
        Participant

Hey Rich
        Thanks for listening. I had to come back ’cause apparently there’s no place else for us hams to go. Not familiar with “Ray The Firefly”. Post yours so I can hear what ole Ray is up to.
        BillH

Maci Roberts
    Participant

Hello All! I’m looking for feedback on my recorded audio. Sound Quality and Performance mainly but anything helps=) thank you in advance!

Attachments:
      D M Ulmer
      Participant

Hi Maci,
      I sounded really good. Quick paced but very clear. The audio sounded good to me.

Dawn

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Maci, great job! I liked the pacing and tone of the read, it sounds like a really good fit for you. Both sound and performance sounds good.

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Your performance and sound quality are really good. The script really fits with your voice as well. Hope that helps.

burdahgirl
    Participant

This is day two of my self prescribed exercise – read the same script imagining talking to three distinctly different people. Recorded on my phone, so apologies for the less than ideal quality. I’m really trying to just focus on this one aspect for a few rounds to try to understand it better and perform it better.

Thanks for any insight!

“If you‘re in the dark about where to ski, let us shed some light on the subject. High in Virginia‘
    s Blue Ridge Mountains, discover what‘s been called the Mid-Atlantic‘s finest overall
    ski experience. Wintergreen offers 10 slopes, five lifts, and an extensive snow-making
    system. Not to mention luxurious accommodations, an indoor spa, and a nationally recognized
    children‘s program. For more information, call 1-800-ski-green. That‘s 1-800-skigreen.
    Wintergreen and Virginia … the perfect combination!”

Attachments:
      Msbvoice
      Participant

2,1 then 3 for me. I can definitely hear the three different audiences. But when I think of Skiing, well first I think of falling and breaking my legs if I tried, anyway #2 fits the fun and excitement, but I also see the couples getaway in #1. Great job, awesome voice.

Barb
      Participant

Nice Job! #2 is your most engaging read. I don’t know who you were picturing, but it worked!

If you wanted to further work on the piece I’d dissect it a bit looking for the transition points in the script.
      The first line stands alone. Nicely done.
      Then, beginning at the second, you get into the big enticing reason to go there, so I’d milk it a bit. It *is* the finest!
      You did a good job describing the amenities and I like how you ended it!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl, good job! I liked 2 the best, then 3, then 1. 1 definitely felt a little more intimate, and 2 was the most direct but still conversational and with plenty of variation. I like this exercise, great idea! Good job on these.

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

I liked best in this order 2,3 1. 2 seemed to flow with the conversation the best. When you list the spa, children’s program etc, try to hit certain words a little better to emphasize a little better. Other than that a very good effort and interesting twist on reads.

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Hi,

Interesting practice exercise. I tried listening to just the first line in each recording to see if I could guess the imagined listener and here’s what I came up with: 1) romantic partner 2) casual friend or young person 3) older adult. So, not sure it matters that I guessed right but good that I hear clear differences. I really enjoyed moments from each take and think that smile in your voice is especially engaging. Thanks for sharing. Bill A.

burdahgirl
        Participant

Bill – that is amazing! The first one was my husband. Second was a friend and her husband from work. The third was actually my stepdaughter but I can see why you would think older adult. Thanks for commenting and helping me out! 🤗

tori811
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m also warming up for the demo, and greatly appreciate the feedback on these short commercial scripts. Thank you!

Attachments:
      chas82
      Participant

Hi Tori
      I like your voice and I suggest that a little more energy throughout, choosing some key words for a little more emphasis and sharpening some selected pronunciations would help both scripts. I’ll limit this just to Aruba.

Aruba – the first two words sounded a little slurred. I didn’t hear the “t” in “It” and the second syllable in “tropical” was almost inaudible. The list in 0:06 – 0.12 contain a few words that would paint a more attractive picture if they were emphasized, e.g., everything, romantic, exciting adventures, whole family. I also think “you have found it“ needs to stand out more because I think this is the heart of the message and the answer to the big question “If you are looking for ……”. Lastly, at the end, I heard “you will love whaa Aruba offers”; the hard consonant “t” went missing.

Just some minor, easy to fix tweaks. Keep up the good work.
      Chas

tori811
        Participant

Noted, thank you!

burdahgirl
      Participant

O*G, Gerber baby all day every day, that was great! I’d love to hear that level of energy, in an appropriate way, in the Aruba script too. Great work!!

Barb
    Participant

More Homework! This is written to be a :60, so there will be lots of visuals to fill in. I do see these “pharma” auditions from time to time, so feedback would be wonderful.

Attachments:
      Bill Anciaux
      Participant

I agree with burdakgirl — great performance. If I were producing this, I would ask for a couple small changes (e.g. less inflection on “that are exaggerated) but you do such a nice job with pacing and phrasing overall. You sound like a trusted friend. Also, I might add a high-pass filter to your recording as the low end is a bit rumbly, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing! Bill A.

Barb
        Participant

Thanks, Bill. I can see what you mean about the inflection on “That are Exaggerated”. I appreciate it!
        Barb

burdahgirl
      Participant

Sounds like it should be the official commercial. Well done!

Barb
        Participant

Thanks so much!
        Barb

Barb
    Participant

Another piece for class, where I’m looking for your review. It’s a :60 for Levis. Just another one I really like. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
      chas82
      Participant

Barb
      Wow ! Love your voice and great tempo, pitch, tone and choice of key words to emphasize.
      You really nailed this one.
      Chas

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by chas82. Reason: typo
        Barb
        Participant

Thanks!

tori811
      Participant

Hello! The sound quality is really awesome here, and you’re able to recite at a nice pace!

Barb
        Participant

Appreciate it, Tori!
        Barb

Barb
    Participant

Sure hope I’m doing this right!

This is a really fun spot! Not planning to use it anywhere specific. Just havin’ fun with my homework. looking forward to feedback!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Barb, really nice work! You sounded very conversational and genuinely excited about the Camry. I could really hear the smile in your voice and it sounded like you were having fun! Really good pacing and variation in key words. Good job!

Mary

Barb
        Participant

Thanks, Mary!
        Barb

Bill Anciaux
    Participant

Have you booked any meditation work? Do you listen to meditations? Are you needing some encouragement? I’d love your feedback on my performance… Thank you! Bill A.

Script: I know that you’re scared, and it’s a good thing to be scared. Because with that fear, you realise that there is a strange adrenaline rush that takes over you, akin to most of the top athletes and singers right before they play and start their performance. As you feel scared, you can begin to you know…use this emotion for the better. Use the rush, use the adrenaline, use all of this nervous energy. You get scared because your mind pictures things not going in your favour, however the mind is creative. One of the scenarios it can create, can come from the space of courage. It’s all a picture in your head at the end of the day. So why don’t you take this opportunity to think of the outcome that you want, the one in which you’ll feel happy, satisfied and excited about this journey that you’re about to take. Yes, use all the nervous energy to imagine a level of euphoria unfathomable so far in your life. It’s bright and vivid. You put aside the negative images you were seeing with these new, beautiful and breathtaking ones. Yes, you can……NOW….BEGIN TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

Attachments:
      Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Thank you all for the feedback! I appreciate it. Bill A.

burdahgirl
      Participant

I’m so motivated listening to this read – I think that means you did your job! Great work!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Bill – really great work! This is a really good fit for you. Your voice is very calming, steady and grounded. I liked the pacing of this and it was really a very encouraging uplifting script. It sounded nice and conversational, as if encouraging a friend. Very good!

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

Showoff! A+ work on this Bill! Meditation work? I’d take work reading a canned soup label. Have you tried or listened to ASMR? I have a demo of motivational work, this could be considered motivational as well as meditation, performance was awesome, I would get rid of the word unfathomable it can’t be said conversationally without much difficulty,hope that helps.

burdahgirl
    Participant

Hello all!
    Have you ever gotten the same note from coach again, and again….and again? Welp, I am trying an exercise to help with my “same note every time” issue. This is the same read, three times, with each read being directed to a different person. These are just on my phone, so sorry for the lower quality. I’m just trying to find the more authentic tone my coach is looking for and have been S T R U G G L I N G with hearing it and/or performing it.

Thanks for any feedback you have!

PS – sorry, I have FAILED at this post, posing mp4s and then forgetting that i had a lead in on one and I can’t figure out how to delete it and start over. Sorry for the sloppy upload, thanks for your grace!

“So much beauty in one place! America is a great country, and we’ve got the best way to see it. Amtrak “Explore America” fares. Round trips from one hundred and seventy nine dollars all across America. It’s a great country at a great price. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL now about Amtrak “Explore America” fares.”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by burdahgirl.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by burdahgirl.
    Attachments:
      chas82
      Participant

Burdahgirl

I also like #3. It felt the most conversational and authentic. I’m sure the lead-in helped frame the style you were after big time. It did seem that you had the emphasis reversed for “great price” at end of next to last sentence and I would have also emphasized “great” a little more in the two uses of “great country”. However, you have a fundamentally very good read throughout and it seems the “read it 3 times” suggestion worked well for you. Keep up the good work!

Chas

Barb
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl, on the whole, nice job!
      Lead in lines are great!

I like #3, but I would bring in even more excitement about your trip. And I’d think you could get away with “uh-hundred and Seventy-nine” for the trip cost. Makes it more conversational.

There’s something I do, that I hear in you…a precision or carefulness with the script. It’s hard to be brave enough not to be perfect! Try taking it line by line, and MEMORIZE the line, don’t read it. It may help!

You got this!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl! First of all, I hear you about getting the same note repeatedly from my coach (and others for that matter) – I feel your pain!!!!*?*! I do believe in this case that practice really can make perfect.

So my preference in these 3 reads is the last one. Lead-ins are helping me get to the appropriate tone and it seems like they are for you as well. I still think its great to use them and then just chop them off as needed for later 🙂 All 3 reads were nice, but the third one had a little more variation in tone and sounded very authentic in encouraging someone to take a trip on Amtrak. Really good job here!

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.