Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Mauricio Perez
    Participant

Here is another sample of me after reading after the Self- Direction and Cold Reading class, any feedback will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Barb
      Participant

So good! Yeah, “canary” should have the accent on the second syllable, but I do love imagining the animated character that might go along with this, making your accent even more effective. Is he a romantic figure, a swashbuckling hero? Maybe imagining it would play up the challenges between the cat and canary more. Just love it!

Only thing, maybe leave a 1/2 second pause at the front of an audition. I don’t know if it’s the Edge player, but the beginning was clipped for me, and often find when listening online (be it here or Voices) if you don’t the first words get clipped.

Barb

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Maurizio, good job on this! I too love your accent. Also “canary” should have an accent on the second syllable, or it sounds like a different word – “cannery”, simple fix on that. I liked the smile in your voice and the energy you brought it to. Good job!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

Oh my, I love this read with your beautiful accent because it makes that cat food made with real chicken sound like the most delectable treat! Great read – super energy and pace. Just double check the syllabic stress on “canary”, but that’s an easy fix!

Mauricio Perez
        Participant

Thanks Budahgirl, I’ll keep in mind your feedback.

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! I’m back for any and all feedback. Learning Audacity settings in particular and getting used to the mic. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help!

Mary

Excedrin

Headaches. We all get them. We all wish they would go away. There is a solution. Excedrin. I just take two and there’s no more tension, no more throbbing, no more pain. My headache is completely gone.

Attachments:
      kevinwiland
      Participant

Hi Mary, nice job.
      You might want to change the tone on the very first word: “Headaches.” To me, you sound a little excited instead of being in constant pain.
      Keep up the good work.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Kevin! I will work on the tone for this one. I was trying to put a lot into “headaches” but I will work on a more pained sound next time instead of excited – no one is excited about headaches hopefully! Thanks!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

Hey Mary, Great read! My only feedback would be that when you get to “Excedrin” the first time, maybe there could be a more audible tone shift towards relief. Overall a great tone and pace – wonderful job!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Burdahgirl! Good idea about shifting the tone towards one that sounds more relieved-sounding after taking the product, thanks!

Mary

Mauricio Perez
      Participant

Hello everyone, here uploading my sample after the Self- Direction and Cold Reading class, any feedback will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments:
        mkell755
        Participant

Hi Maurizio, good read! I liked the energy you brought to this script. For the last “Sandals” the tone got really low and dropped off; I would suggest hitting that a little more to make the product you are selling stand out a bit more. Good job!

Mary

Mauricio Perez
        Participant

Sorry for the typos

ep1800
      Participant

Hi Mary, I like the pacing on your read and your change in tone on ” Excedrin” was good! It sounds a bit as if you are reading this. Imagine you are speaking to a friend. It may help you sound more connected. I enjoyed it!
      Ed

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Ed! I will working on sounding less like I’m reading – I definitely struggle with that. Thank you!

Mary

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Hi, Mary. Less clipping in this recording but still an issue (“We all wish they…”). Levels need to be set so that the loudest part does not clip (exceed 0db). You can always boost volume in Audacity but you can’t effectively repair clipped/distorted audio. I’d turn down the gain setting on your mic a bit more. Or, you could back away from the mic by an inch or two. Or you could bring down your speaking volume, project less. That NT1A is a super sensitive mic and will capture more details in your voice if you speak less forcefully. I like the subtle change in your tone when you introduce the solution to headaches. Nice. Bill A.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Bill! Thanks for the feedback! I will try turning down the gain setting and backing away from the mic separately and together. Yes, at times I feel like I’ve been projecting possibly more than I need to for the script to sound realistic. I’ve been turning up the gain setting to get the halo to register to green (vs. not at all, too low?); I’m not seeing it register otherwise, but like you say there must be a better way, because I don’t want it to sound distorted.

I’m glad you could hear a little bit of a tone change starting with “I just take two…”, seems like it was the pivot in the storyline to propose a solution after the problem. Thanks again for the specificity on what I can do; there seems like so many subtle adjustments and I’m excited to practice and get better. Thanks!

Mary

AliciaMC
    Participant

Practicing for my demo. This is a short spot for Brita. Thank you for your feedback!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Alicia, good read! I liked the tone and energy for this read. Very clear and straightforward – good job!

Mary

AliciaMC
    Participant

Practicing for my demo. This is a short spot for Pampers. Thank you for your feedback!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Alicia, nice read! I liked the soft tone and genuine caring I could hear in your voice. Very clear too.

Mary

AliciaMC
    Participant

Practicing for my demo. This is a short spot for Northwell Health. Thank you for your feedback!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Alicia, again, good read! I listened a few times and kept hearing “…anyone elts” instead of “…..anyone else”; it made the “s” sounds stand out a little sharply the two times that “else” was said. Your tone is very good for this genre, keep up the good work!

Mary

TimDKietzman
    Participant

Hello all. So far, I’ve only been uploading commercial scripts so I thought I’d try my hand at Narration scripts. Am I narrating it well? Is my recording setup still serving me well, I appreciate any advice.

Partial knee replacement
    A partial knee replacement is an alternative to total knee replacement for some patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. This surgery can be done when the damage is confined to a particular compartment of the knee.
    In the past, partial knee replacement was reserved for older patients who were involved in few activities. Now, partial knee replacement is often preferred in the younger population as their recovery is quicker and often with much less pain. About 5% to 6% of patients with arthritic knees are estimated to be eligible for partial knee replacement.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tim! Good job on this one. I liked the pace and tone of the read, and it made me want to learn more about knee replacement. The recording setup sounds good. “osteoarthritis” sounded like “aresteoarthritis” (an extra r?) small detail; medical terms can be difficult to say them with complete confidence / familiarity at least for me. Keep up the good work!

Mary

TimDKietzman
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m still practicing and appreciate any feedback I can get. I think this script is unusual for me in that it’s about business. I’m still trying to perfect my strike zone of warmth and friendly. Does it sound like that to you? Is it fitting for this script?

American Express
    Do you know me? Probably not. In my business, recognition is always important, but when I’m buying goods online I prefer a little privacy. With Private Payments from American Express, I get the security of a unique number created for each business transaction I make. Because my private information is my business, and American Express keeps it that way.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Tim! Good job on this one. I think it does sound warm and friendly, and like someone we can trust about a secret you are letting them know.

Mary

Toque
    Participant

Hi all! Posting another practice script. Appreciate any feedback on all aspects. Also, does this sort of job suit my voice? What do you think my voice might be best suited for? Don’t be shy…I have thick skin 🙂 Toque

Mondavi Script (Backdrop – Video of family sharing old photos and reminiscing, while drinking wine):

Life is measured in moments. Make the most of them. Woodbridge, by Robert Mondavi –

Making moments worth sharing for over 30 years.

Attachments:
      Bill Anciaux
      Participant

I like the way you lower your speaking volume and get close to the mic. This adds an intimacy to your delivery that works well with this script. Nice job! Bill A.

Toque
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Bill, Mary, Tim & Luke! Really appreciate you each taking the time to listen and comment. T

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Toque, really nice! I like the warmth and smoothness of your voice – I think it sounds really good for this one. I agree that Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi could be emphasied a little more, like as the peak in the performance to let the listener know that even though people and hanging around quietly drinking wine, you want them to know what type of wine, so they too can share this type of experience. Well done!

Mary

TimDKietzman
      Participant

You definitely have a fitting voice for this script and I do think you hit good wards and had the right tone. However, I think you’re pausing a lot and that makes it sound choppy. Also, I the phrase: “Woodridge, by Robert Mondavi” sounds a tad bland. If they’re the client, you need to sound like your praising them. Hope this helps.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Good job, I enjoy this performance

kevinwiland
    Participant

Hi all, thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it! Just working on my technique right now, thanks.

Script:
    This is the story of a small planet in space called Earth.
    Today it has mighty oceans; scorched deserts; and frozen wildernesses.
    It supports a multitude of diverse creatures, and is home to more than 6 billion people and their technological civilization.
    But how did all this come about? Where do we come from?

Attachments:
      tori811
      Participant

Hello! I like how well you articulated and added some feeling into the script. I also noticed the sound was a little glitchy (not sure if this is the correct word to describe, sorry!) which kind of threw off the tone a bit.

Barb
      Participant

I love that you sound genuinely interested in the topic! It sounds like a narration, perhaps for middle schoolers?

That said, I bet you’re one of those folks whose natural joy comes through (guilty here!) so I don’t think you need to work so hard at it.

When doing narrations about something I can visualize, I like to imagine I’m painting a picture as I go. It slows me down because I picture the brush strokes. I think you can speak the lines a little slower, and space them out further to give time for the visuals, and viewer reflection.

You got this!

TimDKietzman
      Participant

Your voice and enunciation are well performed. Although, I think your tone is sarcastic and that doesn’t fit this script in my opinion. Also, you sound as if you’re trying to excite an auditorium of children and I’m not sure that’s the target audience. Also, I can tell you recorded the script at different intervals and that makes it sound choppy, you should make sure the script flows. Keep up the good work, I think you’re on the right track.

Toque
      Participant

Hi Kevin. From a technical aspect the volume is a tad loud, which distorts the read. Not sure if it’s your volume settings, you’re too close to the mic, or maybe a combination of both? Also, in terms of editing, there was some noticeable transition between segments that sound like they were recorded at separate times. For example the transition at 0:09 to 0:10, I felt was noticeably at a different volume. Keep at it! Toque

mkell755
    Participant

Hi everyone! I took a short break to get new equipment set up (yeah!) Let me know what you think – is the tone right for the script? I was trying for conversational, and somewhat humorous towards the end. This is my first time recording with the Rode NT1-A mic and Scarlett 2i2 interface, not sure how loud or soft it is coming across. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Michelob
    Send over a beer that’s less likely to get sent back. 100 % imported hops give Michelob Light a remarkable smooth, satisfying taste. So if it ever does get sent back, at least you’ll know it wasn’t the beer. Michelob Light makes any occasion seem special.

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Hi Mary. Out of curiosity, I went back and listened to one of your older posts to compare. Feels to me like the new mic somewhat deepens and mellows your voice. The Rode sounds like a good choice for you! Toque

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Toque! I’m glad it sounds mellower and deeper – I can work with that and hopefully keep improving!

Mary

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Hi, Mary.

Regarding your set-up, you have set the microphone gain too high on your interface causing the audio to clip/distort. The halo light indicator on the input k**b should never turn red and only occasionally turn yellow while you are speaking. Super important to set your record level correctly so you don’t clip the audio.

Regarding the performance, I think a softer, conversational delivery with maybe a flirtatious tone makes sense. This appears to be a scene where the listener is buying a drink for someone they’d like to meet at a bar/club. Perhaps you’re the person sitting right next to them, offering this advice. Just a thought about a different way to perform this script.

Congrats on your new gear. Solid choices. Looking forward to hearing more of your work!

Bill A.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Bill! The issue I’m having so far is that I can see that the halo light is green when I start, but because of how I have my room set up for soundproofing (portable isolation booth) I can’t see the light while I record. I will probably need to rearrange some things for sure. I’m trying to get the levels between -12 and -9 db but I definitely do not want the distortion, so I will have to work on that. A softer tone sounds good for this one, I agree with you. I felt like I was somewhat yelling into the mic to get the levels to hit at least -12 (it was lower on the playback). Anyway, more practice is clearly needed. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

I agree, your performance is good. But your setup is distorting your performance delivery

mkell755
          Participant

Thanks for the feedback SuperLuke! I will work on eliminating distortion. Thanks!

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.