Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Anne-Marie K
    Participant

Greetings all!
    This is my first post on the Feedback Forum! Doing my homework and would appreciate any feedback you might have on these 3 recordings. I’m working on my pacing, not leaving too many gaps between sentences, and an even flow. My home studio is a work in progress, so not too focused on the quality of the recording right now. That will be further down the road…
    Many thanks for your input. I really appreciate your taking the time to listen.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Don Sack
      Participant

Ann-Marie!
      Wonderful voice! Perhaps if you added a bit more enthusiasm to the reads and used tone/pitch to enhance the differentiations when reading “lists”.

Mary Werntz
      Participant

Hi Anne-Marie! Great work on these! Your voice is very soothing and easy to listen to. You sounded most at ease in the Dublin script which flowed the best from my perspective, so maybe you could play with a more relaxed, conversation read on the other two. And I know you’re still working on the home studio, but the audio quality sounds excellent to me!

nettipo1
    Participant

Hello Fellow VO talent,
    Thank you in advance for any feedback and observations you can provide!

Atlanta Bread Company
    When you think of Atlanta Bread Company, don’t just think ‘bread’. Think of an entire breakfast menu – fresh-baked pastries, hot breakfast sandwiches and specialty coffees. Think of our Cafe with savory sandwiches, daily soups and crisp salads. And don’t forget…we can cater your next special event or meeting! Atlanta Bread Company – more than just bread.

Attachments:
      Mary Werntz
      Participant

Hello! This recording flows nicely while hitting the right emphasis and variation. Great work!

mrtripo9
    Participant

Hi please help critic my take on edges script , Roses!
    Roses prefer a sheltered , sunny spot and well drained soil; but otherwise , these paragons are surprisingly easy going and will suceed in most gardens or backyards . Infact shrub roses will flourish on quite light, even poor soils. It is important to give your roses a really good start. This means some digging. So whether you are planning to plant a single rose or a large bed, it is advisable to double dig so the subsoil is well broken up, especially if drainage is less than perfect.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hello mrtripo9! You have a very unique voice; I like the deepness and the gravitas quality. I think for this script, the delivery could have been more natural, and one of the ways you could make it more natural is to avoid any inflection patterns such as a sing-songy, up-and down pattern throughout. The emotion is nice and friendly, and you don’t have any major pauses, but you might want to consider bringing in a little bit of pause if it helps to group certain phrases together. Well done!

mrtripo9
        Participant

thanks for this comment , i really appreciate , I wasn’t too sure about this one as well, and i kind of had the same vibes after listening. thanks again

[email protected]
    Participant

Trying to practice more for my narration demo. All feedback is appreciated, thanks!!

Attachments:
    Troy C
    Participant

Hello! Looking for feedback on some narration scripts I’m playing around with for lessons. I was trying to focus on pacing (was I slow enough? Did I give the script time to breathe?) and articulating my “and”s and “to”s to make it sound crisper. Also played around with Audacity so as far as volume went so hopefully you guys can hear it well enough while simultaneously not having your ears blasted haha. Thanks in advance!

Ohio State Tour Video
    “This is the historic Orton Hall.
    Built in 1893, it’s like our very own Hogwarts.
    It’s home to one of the quietest and oldest libraries on campus, and our own personal dinosaur.
    As a Buckeye, you’ll grow to love the sound of Orton’s bells chiming across campus- a chronic 7 minutes off the mark of any clock. ….Relatable.”

Clovis Bray AI Lore (from Destiny 2)
    “Can we trust an artificial intelligence to make the moral decision? The engineers of Clovis Bray conceived a solution during the development of our Warmind project. By relegating ethical decision-making to a Black Box Morality system, the Warmind instruments its own proprietary virtue quantifiers incomprehensible to even its own creators. The Warmind determines morality on its own terms, and by design we are blind to that process in order to preserve its objectivity.”

Air Purifier Tutorial
    “To install a new capsule into your air purifier, switch the unit “off.” Then remove the new capsule from it’s protective wrapping. Open the capsule cap by turning in the direction opposite to that indicated by the arrow on the cap. Insert the capsule in the cap until the tabs catch the cap. Insert the complete cap into the air purifier. Turn the cap in the direction of the arrow. And then switch the unit back “on.” Your air purifier will now release a pleasant fragrance during operation. Either choose “repeat” to watch this demonstration again, or it will automatically close.”

Attachments:
      [email protected]
      Participant

I really enjoyed all three of your reads! You have a warm voice and have a lot of variety and specificity in your delivery. For the Orton copy, the only feedback i’d say is it felt like there was just a bit too much air in between sentences. I’m sure if this was actually part of a guided tour that pause would be necessary but when just listening to it, it breaks the momentum and makes each sentence have to build energy from zero.
      For the destiny script, I liked your read a lot! Make sure to really ask that question at the beginning, and maybe try exploring the danger of letting AI determine it’s own morality a little more? Or just get a bit more specific on your point of view.
      For the capsule read, it felt as though each word was a bit clipped and detached from the rest of the sentences – i think focusing on the idea an meaning of the sentences as a whole will help to make the read sound a bit more natural while still keeping that professional explainer sound.

DAYLIGHTVO
    Participant

Hello Everyone!
    Looking for some specific feedback on these uploads. I’m working on word clarification/diction of key words in the script, vocal inflection and pitch/tone. All feedback is of course always welcome. I am going through some of the uploads here and for the most part you all are sounding great. I’ll be dropping some feedback on some recent uploads myself.

Many Thanks,
    Ndehru

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi DAYLIGHTVO, I enjoyed both recordings….the Straight Talk script sounded more natural than the NASDAQ. For the NASDAQ, I kind of noticed a bit of a pattern where you would couple together two syllables or words together so that the first word is fast and doesn’t get noticed as much, while the second word is more emphasized. For example, “We-ALL,” “to-PLAY,” “and-FROM,” “a MARKet”. For the Straight Talk script, I liked the energy of it, but you might want to consider emphasizing the words with a little bit more smile, rather than with too much of a staccato/insistent tone. I look forward to hearing more from you!

DAYLIGHTVO
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback! I kinda noticed it too lol I will keep this critique in mind. Isn’t it funny how you can always hear a smile? Thank you.

mrtripo9
    Participant

Hi guys!
    Here is my take on the Edge script Gargoyles , I will appreciate your comments thanks

One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled.It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear. It was the age of gargoyles. Stone by day, warriors by night . We were betrayed by the humans we had sworn to protect, frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years. Now , here in manhattan..the spell is broken. And we live again! We are defenders of the night.We are Gargoyles.

Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Mtripo9,

I enjoyed this read. The sounds quality is solid. I noticed some things you could tweak. I would suggest pausing in the first sentence after ago. Also maybe differentiate a bit more in the fourth sentence. I enjoyed the tone and character. Also the pacing was spot on. Overall good job.

mrtripo9
        Participant

Thanks Erik, I appreciate yr comment, I will keep up the grind..lol

artyom123
    Participant

please comment on my read for Shopify:

Grow your sales organically without compromising stellar customer service.
    Increase your average order value with Plus One, an easy-to-use plug-in that installs seamlessly into your Shopify account in under 2 minutes.
    Plus One recommends similar products that complement their cart or offer best-value items before checkout.
    Like how you go to your favorite café and order coffee but it’s better with a chocolate croissant.
    That’s an easy addition and you just boosted your ticket.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi artyom123 – Your delivery has a clear, friendly and helpful tone. I think it could sound maybe a little bit more natural. Consider varying the pacing, which is what would happen if you were telling this to a coworker in everyday life (just an example). I would also consider which words you are emphasizing over other words. “Increase” might be a good word to emphasize more, and “under” might be more important to emphasize than “2 minutes.” Nice job, look forward to hearing more from you.

Erik B
      Participant

Hi artyom123,

The pacing and tone of the read are good. Also you hit key words nicely. Watch out for glottals in the read, i.e. between cart and or in the third sentence. Overall solid job.

artyom123
    Participant

would like feedback on following read based on sounding like a everyday person and emotional connection to script.

Did you know that with a simple majority vote, our City Council could ban natural gas and even hydroelectric power in Spokane? Think about what that would mean to you, your family, your home, your energy rates and your finances. And if you’re still not convinced that it’s the worst idea in the history of…well, ideas, visit avistaemployeepac.com. Then protect Spokane’s clean, abundant energy resources by voting YES on Proposition 1. Sponsored by…

Attachments:
      [email protected]
      Participant

I think you do a fantastic job of sounding natural and approachable, you definitely sound like you’re connecting to your reader. My piece of feedback would be that especially in first half the pitch and cadence of you sentences all sound very similar, starting high and ending low, pretty much on the same pitch. When you ask all those questions with the same pitch it can be hard to really take in how those questions are different. So you? Your family? etc.? see if you can find specificity for each one.

Bil-Bo
    Participant

7UP PLUS 30 SEC RADIO

7UP PLUS WITH CALCIUM.

INTRODUCING A WHOLE NEW KIND OF SOFT DRINK.

WITH REAL FRUIT JUICE, 10% OF YOUR DAILY CALCIUM AND ONLY 10 CALORIES

IN EVERY 8 OZ. SERVING, IT TASTES SO GOOD YOU CAN FEEL IT IN YOUR BONES.

FOR GREAT TASTE WITH CALCIUM, THE ONLY WAY TO GO IS UP. 7UP PLUS

WITH CALCIUM.

Jeep. No limits. (TV audio)

The thing about freedom is…freedom has no limits.
    There’s no such thing as too many adventures.
    Or, too many unforgettable moments.
    There’ll never be too many stories to write…or too
    many memories to make. But when it comes to a
    vehicle that will be there for it all…there’s only one.
    Jeep.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Bil-Bo – your voice has such down-home charm and pluckiness. I think at this point, you might want to experiment with different emotions, taking into account how the advertising folks might want the message to come across…For instance, with the Jeep read, maybe try something that has an aspirational tone or adventurous spirit. Maybe read it as if you were a wilderness guide. I would also be interested in hearing your recordings without music (I’m told that casting folks don’t necessarily like to hear auditions with music). I still end up smiling when I hear your recordings. Good job!

JustJohn
      Participant

The 7-Up ad is great. The Jeep ad is very good, very amiable, but I wonder if you might want to change up the cadences a bit. On first listen, the cadences sound a bit repetitive. Still: good work, as always.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.