Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Sherry Newell
    Participant

Hi all! Looking for some feedback on some commercial homework 🙂
    Two very different commercials here. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      greta_j
      Participant

Hi Sherry! Nice reads.
      – I think you could experiment being even more smooth and silky on the Bare Minerals read.
      – On Ben and Jerry’s, I think you could go more casual, with less annunciation, and vary your pitch even more 🙂 Have fun!
      /Greta

adamhurd
    Participant

Hello! I’d appreciate any feedback you all can provide.

JC Penny
    Your brain has 2 sides. The right side: creative, buys things, has fun. The left side: organized, practical, saves money. Now JC Penney makes both sides happy. It’s the buy more, save more sale. It’s simple, the more you buy, the more you save. 20 to 30%. So use your head. Buy more. Save more. Only at JC Penney.

Fairies
    Do you believe in fairies? They are not as friendly as once thought. First they bite. It feels like a little pick; a sting on the skin. When it begins to glow, that is what you have to be careful of. Then you’re in for quite a rush, my dear boy. You see, their glittery skin, their sprinkling wings, and glowing smiles – it’s all just a trick; and they love to play tricks, especially on the ones that are fond of them. You think we are evil, we are devilish, these little girls (if you choose to call them that) are much much darker than we.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by adamhurd.
    Attachments:
      Sherry Newell
      Participant

Hey there 🙂
      Overall I liked your tone and tempo. At the end of JC Penny, you really kind of loose the energy and let the name of the company fall off. Just make sure you don’t let those “money words” be forgotten since the business name is crucial to the commercial.
      Fairies was great :), I really enjoyed the sort of sarcasm in the character. I’m not exactly sure what it was, but at the beginning, its almost like the words are muddled or pronounced a little different than the rest of the read… something was pulling attention. Hope that helps! Sorry, I wasn’t more specific. Good job!

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! I’m looking for any and all feedback for my upcoming narration demo. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mary

With one of the most instantly recognizable photographic styles, Ansel Adams is known for capturing majestic images of the American West. As a master of the darkroom, Adams created outstanding contrasts using extensive dodging and burning methods. His famous landscapes were primarily shot using large-format cameras.

Attachments:
      Sherry Newell
      Participant

Hi Mary 🙂
      Oh my gosh, you are doing so good! I remember listening to some of your homework awhile back, and its fun to hear the progress! Well done 🙂
      OK, the first time you say, Ansel Adams, it almost sounds like the name was “cut and pasted” into that spot. I’m not sure if maybe the name was a little flat, or that there seemed to be the tiniest pause before saying “is”. You’re doing great!

mkell755
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback Sherry! That is so nice to hear that progress is being made 🙂 I will listen for he flatness / unnaturalness of saying Ansel Adams in my mind I was trying to emphasize “Ansel Adams” as the subject of the piece, like in a commercial, but it probably does not need that much emphasis and separation, good point! Thank you again!

Mary

Evette75
    Participant

My Life
    Your days may be up and down. Turn to MyLife for the right mindfulness boost, any time of day.
    It all starts with how you’re feeling, right now. You’ll enjoy a customized experience from over 400 relaxation activities, each one about 10 minutes or less. MyLife delivers exactly what you need – because it always starts with you.

Attachments:
    Evette75
    Participant

My Life
    Your days may be up and down. Turn to MyLife for the right mindfulness boost, any time of day.
    It all starts with how you’re feeling, right now. You’ll enjoy a customized experience from over 400 relaxation activities, each one about 10 minutes or less. MyLife delivers exactly what you need – because it always starts with you.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Evette75.
    Sylvanie
    Participant

Hello Everyone, I would love to hear all feedback for my 3 Narration scripts attached below. Your feedback will be very helpful in any improvement I need going forward. Thank you very much for your time.

Hudson Yard:

They say you can tell you’ve become a real New Yorker the minute you stop looking up.
    Looking up’s for the tourists, for the recent transplants – the people who don’t have work to get to, a train to catch.
    Looking up’s for the dreamers, for children who haven’t yet outgrown their surroundings…For anyone wide eyed enough to believe New York still lives up to its namesake as someplace new.
    But we’ve heard a different story…

Pre-Boarding Announcement:

Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 89B to Rome. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes time. Thank you.

John F. Kennedy Library and Museum:

Welcome. The John F Kennedy Library and Museum is dedicated to the memory of our nations thirty-fifth President, and to all those, who through the art of politics, seek a new and better world. Our purpose is to advance the study and understanding of President Kennedy’s life and career, and the times in which he lived.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Sylvanie.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Sylvanie.
    Attachments:
      Don Sack
      Participant

Hey Sylvanie!
      Nice work! Hmmmm…I think you could reduce the pauses and make the spots flow. It’s a lot for one breath but you can also edit to make several of the sentences/thoughts flow as one.

Sylvanie
        Participant

Hi Don! Thank you so much for this feedback! I will definitely work on that for sure.

Evette75
      Participant

These are good reads Sylvanie. I like the different takes of tone, all coming across welcoming and informative. I really like the pre-boarding, directions were clear and to the point; as you would hear in any airport.

Sylvanie
        Participant

Hello Evette!, Thank you so much for this feedback…very much appreciated.

Alaya_R
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Any constructive criticism on the delivery of these three audio files much appreciated. Thank you!

A Haunting Title
    In this world, there is real evil.
    In the darkest shadows and in the most ordinary places.
    These are the true stories of the innocent and the unimaginable, Between the world we see, and the things we fear.

This Official Alaska Vacation Planning Video is filled with plenty of breathtaking scenes. But more important,
    it’s loaded with all the information you need for planning a trip to Alaska. Like when to go, what to wear, and what to see.
    So if you’ve got Alaska on your mind, you’re going to love this video. Let’s begin with snow sports. This is definitely the place.
    For cross-country and down-hill skiing. For snow boarding, tobogganing, and even ice fishing.

This is the Lab Corp Fit sample collection procedure.
    Begin by filling in all the required information on the sampling bottle with a ballpoint pen.
    Place the supplied collection paper inside of the toilet bowl on top of the water.

Attachments:
      Evette75
      Participant

Nice work Alaya. I especially like your delivery on A Haunting Title -you gave a mysterious vibe which helped ehance the read. On the Official Alaska – maybe I missed something but the read and the description were off a bit, a line or two was missed.

Nailah
    Participant

Good Day All,

Please give me your honest feedback on these practice commercial scripts. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Attachments:
    Mary Werntz
    Participant

Hello! I’d love to get some feedback on these two reads. For Vanguard, I’m working on a strong and confident tone with a subtext of warmth and trustworthiness. And for Westin, my focus keeping the flow moving throughout without rushing. Thank you, Forum friends!

Finally. Financial advice powered by relationships, not commissions. We don’t chase the market and our advisors don’t work on commissions. Decisions about your money are based on our strong and steady investment philosophy and with your best interests at heart. From buying your first home, saving for retirement, or taking a trip around the world, you’ve got this. Find out if Vanguard Personal Advisor Services is right for you.

A shower that can dissolve a day. The Heavenly Show by Westin is a down-pour of a shower. To be followed by a thick, cotton velour robe and a new outlook on life. Let us reserve your stay. Call 1-800-Westin1 or your travel planner. Best rates, guaranteed at westin.com.

Attachments:
      Don Sack
      Participant

Hey Mary!
      Go slower? Perhaps a Pop filter and back off the mic a bit? Great voice!

nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Mary,

I really like the sound of your voice! Very relatable and credible. I think that for the Vanguard read, you might want to try speaking more from the point of view of the representative of that company, and also as that representative speaking to someone across the table from you or sitting next to you – it might change how you say things if you’re in that kind of setting. I also noticed glottal stops on the “o” words, like “our” and “on.”

I think perhaps the Westin read ended up being rushed because you were trying to make it flow! I do this too. You’ll be able to make it flow without affecting your pace, which should be a little slower (given the context of this piece), but not too slow, of course! It would be great to hear this one again but with the descriptive words accentuated.

Overall, great job. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

adamhurd
      Participant

This feels a little abstract but it seemed like the westin was almost too flowy in the beginning. Like there’s was no point to land on. Loved the vanguard read.

RYoung
      Participant

Excellent work on Vangaurd piece!

RYoung
    Participant

I submitted this audition sans music recently, Comments or critiques greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Thank you both for the critiques!

nettipo1
      Participant

HI RYoung,

Although I liked the music choice, I think it could have been lower volume so that your voice doesn’t need to compete with it. I would suggest to be mindful of your delivery being too announcer-y. I think the overall read needs to settle down just a little, so that it sounds more natural while still sounding assured and credible–your voice is already clear and has gravitas, so that already helps you sound nice and authoritative. The company’s name was slightly rushed in my opinion, and it was strong on the “F” of “FTI” so it made me jump (I had headphones on!). I do enjoy your energy overall. Great job!

Mary Werntz
      Participant

Your voice has a wonderful resonance and is a good match for this script. The music selection suites the piece nicely and the volume is suitably balanced between the two. Great work!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.