Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    bevy
    Participant

Hello Everyone,
    This is my first post on the Feedback Forum! This is my first assignment. Please provide any feedback on my pacing, flow and recording quality.
    I sincerely appreciate your time and input.

All the best,

Beverly

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      [email protected]
      Participant

Good job, your voice and tone sound great. Maybe add some smile to some of the words!

Don Sack
      Participant

Bev;
      Yea! Great voice! Tim has good points and speaks to my work as well; 1) Don’t over do it but sound more excited about this new technology you are selling. 2) Differentiate lists of items with your tone. 3) Be smooth, watch the pauses even with full stops and semi colons.
      I find that it really helps to slow the read down and then listen to it several times, eyes closed not looking at the waves, over several listening’s you start to catch a pattern that you know will work; don’t rush practice!

bevy
        Participant

Thank you Don! Thank you for your thorough feedback and recommendations. All the best!

TimDKietzman
      Participant

I commend you on your formal voice and tone. I think your recording quality is well established and you spoke at a very fitting tempo. However, you sound as if your pausing a lot, (some sound like they’re midsentence) and I’m told that that should be left for full stops or commas. You hit fitting words two and the tone you adopted really suits this script. Your performance still came off as monotone and could use more variety. I hope this helps.

bevy
        Participant

Yes it does, I will work on it! Thank you so much for your feedback. I appreciate it!

kevinwiland
    Participant

Hello all!
    I just got my first job narrating a book! Here is an upload of a small clip. Any/all suggestions about technique, studio editing is welcome!

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

Well you have a great tempo and pitch for this type of book. I think everyone will be expecting a serious tone when hearing a script like this and you really nailed it. Although, I think the tone you adopted needs work. You don’t sound quite as interested in the subject matter as you should and I don’t think it works to keep us engaged. On another note, you’re recording setup is fantastic! I hope your recording of this book goes well.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by TimDKietzman.
        kevinwiland
        Participant

Thank you, Tim. This is very helpful!

twiegers
    Participant

Hey ya’ll!

Please let me know how you feel about these. Feedback is much appreciated!

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

BlueBell: I think you have the tempo down great and hit the correct words. The tone you were going for is what I would envision for an ice cream commercial, but I don’t think pulled it off. Imagine relaxing with a bowl of this so you can sound interested. Also, act more “urging” since you’re selling something to listeners.
      SmokeTreeRose: I would say the same about this one, your tempo and pitch were well applied. However the tone doesn’t match for this type of script. I think it should be more “in awe” rather than relaxed.
      AppleWatch: Now the tone of script should be very excited or active, but you still sound relaxed and not very keen to share this product with the listeners. The tempo worked though and you hit the right words. …except for the list which should have varying tones.

Finally, in regards to all of them I think the recording quality needs work and the microphone seems to be making a “buzz.” I hope this helps.

Nailah
    Participant

Good Day All,

Please give me your honest feedback on these practice commercial scripts for my homework. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Nailah, I listened to your reads, thought I’d share with you my notes as I listened.

Pizza Hut – good tempo, good differentiation, and good tone. Very good job.

Special K – Very good read, great tone, good differentiation. Perhaps enunciate a bit more clearly with the line, “putthing them in a box”

Spotify – good differentiation, good tone, good read.

Overall very good job.

Nailah
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback Erik!! I will definitely heed your advice!

Don Sack
    Participant

Greetings All;
    Two spots, let me know how you feel?

Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Don, Here are my thoughts with your two reads:

Kawasaki – Great tone, hit words nicely. I would suggest slowing down the tempo just a bit. The read sounds a bit rushed.

Berringer – Great tone, hit the ending very well. Maybe differentiate a bit more in the first ten seconds of the read. Also similar to Kawasaki, the tempo sounds a bit rushed.

Overall solid job.

Don Sack
        Participant

Thanks Erik! You are correct, I need to slow it down; I get that from my coach all the time! The Russian’s are in the Holland Tunnel, get this done! LOL!

greta_j
    Participant

Hey folks!
    Quick Motel 6 spot for my commercial homework! Do I sound like I’m reading? What does it need to jazz it up or make me sound like I am a trusted Motel 6 employee?
    ((( No notes needed on audio quality please, this was done on my iphone 😉 )))

Thanks a million!
    G

Attachments:
      Don Sack
      Participant

Greta;
      Nice voice! Very clear. Yup, sounds like your reading; be happy! Also, unnecessary pauses, make ‘er flowwwww.

Oktober10
    Participant

LAST ONE I PROMISE!

Attachments:
      greta_j
      Participant

Hello Audra! Good clear tone!
      Listen back for some melodies and up swings on “Wall Street Journal” – try to slow down and emphasize the “… I read the Wall Street Journal” evenly bc these are the “money words” and they are the most important to hear and get into listeners’ brains 🙂 One other tidbit, try to pronounce the full word “of” in “5% alcohol of course” on take two of Twsited Tea, instead of “a-course.” Keep it up!! /Greta

Oktober10
    Participant

and, s’more….

Attachments:
    Oktober10
    Participant

More for coaching session……

Attachments:
    Oktober10
    Participant

Hi all, these are for my coaching session but I always apreciate your feedback too! Thanks.

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.