Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    AJS10
    Participant

Hello! I’m attaching two tracks… they’re both documentary style of Meryl Streep (slightly different scripts). Would love feedback on the performance AND how the audio sounds. I have finally added some elements to my home studio that I think (hope!) help to have good sound quality. Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      RBenesVO
      Participant

Wow, setup sounds really clear. I ran it through my DAW and showing a noise floor of about -50. The low noise present looks a lot like an AC unit or something like a water heater though I can’t physically hear it. Listening to Streep One the only nit-pick to my ears is the transition from drama, to Julia..the dramA and JuliA sound somewhat similar in such proximity but the script overall is really pleasant to listen too. Streep two sounded great, I’ve got nothing on that as it was appealing, and well paced. They were run in stereo it looks like, not sure if you intended that. But it’s clear you know what you are doing.

AJS10
        Participant

Ryan, this is incredibly helpful… thank you!! I know exactly what you mean about the “drama Julia”, so I’ll watch out for that. I’m guessing the secret noise might be coming from my downstairs neighbors who seemed to run their bathroom fans 24-7… ugh. Time for another sound blanket! Thanks again!

Gracie Parker
    Participant

Hello everybody! Nice to meet you! This is my first time posting on here as I have my second training session coming up very soon. I wanted to ask for feedback regarding my voice on these two reads. (No technical feedback please, I know there is white noise as I did not have an optimal recording space this week) Here are some things I am wondering about my reads… Do i sound robotic or smoother? How is my intonation and pronunciation? Thanks everybody!
    ~Gracie Parker 🙂

Attachments:
      AJS10
      Participant

Hi Gracie! I think you’re off to a good start. Your voice is very nice to listen to. I do think your tone seems to go up and down a bit so I would watch that. The ends of your sentences tend to “drift off” a bit so I would watch out for that and end them with the same energy as you begin with.

Gracie Parker
    Participant

Hello everybody! Nice to meet you! This is my first time posting on here as I have my second training session coming up very soon. I wanted to ask for feedback regarding my voice on these two reads. (No technical feedback please! I know there is white noise) Do i sound robotic or smooth? How is my intonation and pronunciation? Thanks everybody!
    ~Gracie Parker 🙂

RBenesVO
    Participant

Good Afternoon,
    Hoping for some feedback on two commercial scripts. Primarily inflection and pacing, but welcome any feedback! Thanks in advance.
    Ryan

Attachments:
      AJS10
      Participant

Hi Ryan! I can tell you have a great mic! Both clips were really good. On AMEX, I felt that the word “always” (when you say “always important”) gets lost. This is something I struggle with too… sometimes I “throw out words” and then they don’t come across too clear. The only other thing I’d say is that your energy seems to pick up about halfway through so the energy in the beginning could pick up a bit. (Another thing I struggle with so I guess with these two things, I listen for them more) The History Channel one was great… don’t have anything to critique on that. Great job!

RBenesVO
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback! I played it back again and totally agree with you.

JNMullett
    Participant

Two more practice reads before Commercial Demo day. Thank you in advance for any feedback you may have.

Attachments:
      AJS10
      Participant

Hey Jeff… Overall, you definitely sound ready for your commercial demo; those were great! One thing I’d suggest on the Movie Gallery: when you list the different steps (“you just stick it in, sit back, hit play” etc), I’d vary the steps a bit in terms of tone so they sound JUST a little different from each other. I hope that makes sense. Loved the Popeyes one! Best of luck at your recording!

RBenesVO
      Participant

I was really pleased with the way you did Movie-Gallery. The changes in inflection were spot on, and with just the right punch when you needed it. I chuckled a bit with the Popeyes because it was such a change but it worked well. I noticed something subtle that I do in character voices or normal reads; when I get to the end I sometimes drop my voice or accent, or pitch variance. Maybe just ever so slightly on the last word, like…wheeew, that’s over. Easily missed but I hear it ’cause I look for it when I listen to the last word of my auditions. Great overall!

JNMullett
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback and tip – I’ll definitely watch for that in the future!

Gill
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Here are a couple reads. I would love feedback on anything that your wonderful ears can point out.

Attachments:
      RBenesVO
      Participant

Great voice for these. Was trying to picture myself in each setting where I would be listening. With Purina I would focus in on how the “joke” was voiced regarding the canary. At first listen it sounds like it will be great for the canary because it might like cat food, but the inflection and vocal change should be such that it’s in luck today because the cat has all it needs with Purina-One and won’t be eating canary for dinner. Great work!

JNMullett
      Participant

Great job! Very clean, very crisp – I could hear the smile on your face all the way through.

twstark
    Participant

Hey everyone – Two new reads. The GE Medical Systems script is very corporate, though I’m trying not to sound too “drone” like. The Cats read is my attempt at being a little more theatrical om a NatGeo-like tone. All feedback is, of course, most welcome!

Attachments:
      twstark
      Participant

Thanks for the positive feedback, my friends. I’m really enjoying my training and feeling better every day about a future in VO!

JNMullett
      Participant

Two very nice reads. Solid work on both of them!

Gill
      Participant

GE Medical: You did a real nice job with this read, the pace and your diction are spot on. I like that you hit keys words with good emphasis and transitioned smoothly.

Cats: You grabbed my attention with this read and kept me engaged. There are so many different ways to approach this read, you did it well making it your own. Whisper reads are difficult with projecting accurately, you did this with ease and with changing your inflections. Keep it up!

fchappell
    Participant

Hello VO peers!

Here to upload my first two recordings. Currently working on narration. Any and ALL feedback is greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
      Gracie Parker
      Participant

Hi fchappel! You have a wonderful sounding, deep voice! Here are a few things I noticed: As it is the same with me, I naturally say ‘tuh’ instead of ‘too’. Make sure you watch for that! I would love to hear a little more emotion in your reads. You do sound very gentle, but having some more excitement will help those longer reads move forward, and this way you can also find where the points of emphasis are in the scripts. I do hear a bit of staggered pacing at parts, so try to sound super conversational! My coach told me to imagine WHO I’m talking to, for WHY, and WHERE – and it helps a lot, for me at least! I encourage you to try it out as well! Good luck and I look forward to hearing your next reads! 🙂

RBenesVO
      Participant

fchappel, congrats on the first uploads! I really liked the Zillow read. Pacing was good, could have a more diverse change in inflection as you list stuff at the end but it was good. Main thing that stuck out with Nationwide was I picked up a distinct “beat” or rhythm to the read that was distracting. The voice was great for it but watch out for going up, then down, up, then down repeatedly. Editing and initial gain settings seemed better with Zillow as well but again, things which can easily be worked though. Nice work!

JAE Factor
    Participant

Hello,

I’m just looking for feedback on the read and editing. Appreciate it!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by JAE Factor.
    Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Hi
      For your edits I would just be mindful of breaths. In the first read it doesn’t sound like you took any with your edit. The second read also the same so just include them for humanisation.

jackjacknovak
    Participant

Hi folks! Getting back to VO work after having to take a few months off. Would love any feedback on things I need to brush up. These are some homework reads for my coaching sessions.

-Jack

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.