Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    nicolance
    Participant

Corporate e-learning – going for friendly, inviting and confident. How’d I do? thanks – Lance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Cheechman
      Participant

A little sing Songy for my tastes.

May try to hold the highs a little.

RGK3
      Participant

Hi Lance:

Friendly, inviting, and confident do come through. On the whole, I liked this read a lot and could imagine it in actual use. There are a couple of minor places where the phrasing felt less natural to me than in others, like the strong upward inflection on “website,” leading into the next phrase.

nicolance
    Participant

House tour narration – trying to sound warm and friendly. How’s my diction? Lance

Attachments:
      JoyceVOA
      Participant

I didn’t hear any warm and friendly in the beginning. You did warm up towards the end. I thought your diction was excellent.

nicolance
    Participant

Hi again – this is a travelogue narration – again, working on pacing and diction. Thanks, Lance

Attachments:
    nicolance
    Participant

Bio Narration – working on pacing and diction. Any feedback is welcome, including any tech stuff – thanks, Lance

Attachments:
    Swimmer1
    Participant

Hello,
    I am a novice and forwarding a brief recording for a homework assignment. I have lots to learn on the recording and voice side, open to suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Alot more energy.

I tend to go into the “over the top am disc jockey” voice for these.

nicolance
      Participant

My first suggestion is to always think about who you are, who you are talking to, and why are you telling them this info? You are definitely reading the copy and so it sounds a bit robotic and not at all conversational. That is the key word for you at this point – conversational. You have a nice voice with a friendly tone. Keep at it – Lance

Joel
      Participant

Hi Swimmer1, I might suggest you put some more energy into your reading so it does not have a monotone type of reading. The script also says three times, “when,” so you might think about how you might want to make each time you say “when” it’s not the same each time. A slight change in tone might help. We are all novice’s in this VO world that’s for sure!

Logan DFD
    Participant

I’m trying to improve my pitch variation to try and overcome my monotone voice. Is my pitch range good, or too little? Thanks!

Special K Red Berries

Putting strawberries in cereal wasn’t our idea.
    Putting them in the box was.
    With slices of real strawberries and crunchy sweet flakes, looking good never tasted so good.
    Special K Red Berries.

Attachments:
      Joel
      Participant

Hey Logan, I might suggest you send the message that Special K Red Berries is a good thing. You almost sound angry at the beginning of the recording. Try pretending you are speaking to someone specific about the product and see if that changes your tone and delivery.

LindsayCampbell
      Participant

Hi Logan! I think in attempting to overcome a monotone voice, you ended up emphasizing words in a way that was a bit unnatural, and not how you would say it in a real conversation. Some of the words sounded forced. Something that has helped me with my coach is to use a lead in before the script starts to get myself mentally in the natural zone, imagining I am talking to a real person in my life, and gets me thinking and talking in a natural way. Helps me to not overthink it. Hope this is helpful for you too!

RGK3
    Participant

Hello all:

I’m sharing a couple of reads for feedback before my next coaching session. Just looking for feedback on the reads themselves, as I haven’t started to solve the home studio challenges yet.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Too much slurring.
      Ended with a question and needs to have the key words punched up a little. Make them a point of interest is what I mean. I’ve attached my read for comparison

Attachments:
      LindsayCampbell
      Participant

HI RGK3! I like both of these reads. The pacing was good, but I think in both cases lacked a “real” feel. It sounded like you were reading.

I almost missed the joke about the canary in Purina. I think you could have played with that a bit more.

In the Advil read, there were several points of an unnatural stop, some with a lip smack. For example, you can hear it after the first 2 times you say Advil, and after study. The last sentence ended with I think wasn’t quite the right intonation. Your pitch rising a little bit, not quite to the point of it sounding like a question, but enough where it sounded like you might doubt what you’re saying.

Hope this helps!

RGK3
        Participant

Thanks!

Joel
    Participant

Here are two commercial demo’s, both in the same audio file. One for Hyundai and the other for the NFL Network. Your comments have always been so helpful, especially when I have my next session with my coach.

Attachments:
      Logan DFD
      Participant

Good work on your reads! You have a great voice!

Something I noticed was that you had plenty of mouth sounds through the two commercials. Drinking lots of water can sometimes help with that. Also, you might want more variation in your pitch. I noticed this because I have problems with that too.

Best of luck!

Cheechman
    Participant

This is my third set for the 1 demo homework.

I am submitting two of each.

Attachments:
      LindsayCampbell
      Participant

Hi Cheechman, I think you have a nice voice, and all of your reads were very clear. They sound a bit robotic, though. Maybe imagine you are talking to a real person when reading to sound more natural. Your enunciation was very clear, but there were some glottal stops that made the speech sound broken up and unnatural. You can hear it especially in the Advil read in the first line: “Muscle. Aches” (the 2nd Advil read was better, but still there) And in Carnations with the E in Essentials.
      Full disclosure- this is what I struggle with, too, and have been tasked by my coach to listen for it in others, so I am hyper-focused on it right now!

Cheechman
        Participant

Thanks, I appreciate the comments and will take them to heart

Cheechman
    Participant

This is my second set for the 1 demo homework.

I am submitting two of each.

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.