Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    DillonP
    Participant

Here are new pieces I was working on. An old commercial 4kids and a narration, A Haunting Title. I would apricate all of the feedback that is given. I just hope that I am not to fast or slow with their deliveries. And Hope that my enunciations aren’t too over the top or being too slurred.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jwhiddon
    Participant

Hi all! While I will take any feedback you have, I am still working on a better setup and am aware my sound quality is not where it needs to be. With that said, would love feedback on the read or anything you have. Thanks.

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Hi
      Your sound isn’t too bad, I think I may have heard some reverb but overall nothing to significant. Your tone starts out good for this read but maybe because there’s not much change in inflection the script sounds a bit read. I’m not getting a good sense of your connection to it. I hear some areas where you are over enunciating, its a little distracting to the script and takes my attention away from what you are saying. Just a few things to consider with this. Keep at it!

nicolance
    Participant

Hi folks – I’ve posted a sample of audition I sent for social media explainer piece – I did not book it. The posting came with no direction. I made my choices and stuck to them. Asking for feedback on the tone and pace I set – did it sound real and conversational, or cheesy and “salesy”? Thanks, Lance

Attachments:
      Wysvoice
      Participant

Hi I actually like the reads. Given that the spot is about how to increase sales using technology – I though the tone struck the right chord of “what are you doing and why aren’t you doing this – get with it”. As a salesperson myself, whenever I hear spots like that – it causes me to consider what the product or service could do for my business. The only part of the script that turned me off was the last 3 to 4 words – the tone and pitch up was a little to harsh for me. I thought a in inflection would have helped.

Gill
      Participant

Hi Lance,
      Sorry you didn’t get shortlisted. Your read does sound like you’re talking down to your audience versus having a conversation with them. The pace is a little too slow and there isn’t a lot of variation in this read which makes it a flat read. So maybe try a little more energy and inflection next time with a faster pace. Keep at it!

ecbrown220
    Participant

Good evening everyone,

Below I have 3 reads. My mic was acting up so I had to use the good ol’ laptop mic. Any and all feedback would be greatly beneficial. Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Definitely need to get your mic fixed/
      Seems very emotionless.
      You have a great tone and articulate well, but need to have more emotion in your read

gigihernandezdoesit
      Participant

Hey EC! nice work getting all the info across in the American Airlines piece. Your pacing is a bit robotic, work on varying it throughout to sound more conversational.
      it’s probably not worth mentioning, but I thiiiink your laptop mic may be a bit too echo-y to be totally effective. if your usual mic is still out, try using a phone with a voice notes recording app if you have it, it may sound cleaner than your laptop. good luck!

Alexfurness
    Participant

Hi everyone! I need some feedback on my audio quality. I have a nice recording booth and what I think is a decent fx chain, but I’m not having much success auditioning. Might just be my reads, but I want to be sure! I’ve heard some criticisms about boxiness in the past. Anything need to be adjusted? EQ, reflections, etc.

This was just a quick read, so I’m not looking for feedback on the performance so much. If you have something to suggest about that, though, I’m always happy to get advice!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Alexfurness.
    Attachments:
      nicolance
      Participant

Alex – I do not hear any noise, sound is clear and clean. Not sure what you mean by boxiness – like you’re in a box? Don’t hear that either. All sounds great – including your read, btw. Would love to know what you have in your booth – is it soundproof booth? What mic and DAW? As for not getting booked – persistence!!! Keep up what you’ve been doing! Lance (nicolance)

Alexfurness
        Participant

Yeah, like a box. A bit vague, but I could kinda hear what they meant. They told me to EQ out the frequencies that were causing it, so I guess I was successful! Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I have a booth made by this gentleman https://www.scottsvobooths.com/. Mine is the “enhanced” model. It’s a good booth, especially for the price. But it’s definitely not as soundproof as I was hoping, and you have to treat the inside yourself. He has a model with even thicker walls than mine, so maybe that one is truly noise-isolating. But he was a nice guy, and it’s very solidly built, so I’m satisfied.

My mic is a Bluebird, and I use Reaper for my DAW. I also have many of the Izotope plugins for de-noising, mouth clicks, pops, sibilance, etc.

I’ll keep plugging away! I’m happy to have some reassurance from other ears that I’m on the right track.

Cheechman
      Participant

Great read, work on hiliting the product name and its benefits. Seem to trail off when saying the product.
      great voice

Alexfurness
        Participant

Thank you for the advice! I’ve gotten that note before, so this is confirmation that I still need to be more aware of that. But I’m glad it sounds good otherwise!

ecbrown220
      Participant

Great read Alex! I thought I was actually watching a toothpaste commercial while listening. Please continue the great work.

Alexfurness
        Participant

Thought I would get an email if anyone replied, and didn’t see this until just now! Thank you for the encouragement!

Grace17
      Participant

Hi Everyone! I would appreciate feedback on any or all of the audios below:) My voice is a little croaky in the sleep aid read, but I’ll like to know what you think of it regardless. The Ozark Audio Description is meant to be an aid to the visually impaired while watching the show, the audio is supposed to be interlaced into the show but I reduced the duration between my sentences to make the audio shorter. Thank you in advance!

Attachments:
        gigihernandezdoesit
        Participant

Hi Grace! I listened to the Ozark piece. Primarily I noticed that you speed up a fair amount by the end, and you lost me a bit especially in the action-y part. Sounds like a cold open so, I imagine it does move pretty fast and I read that you cut time between sentences to make it shorter but I wished I could keep up with some of those rapid fire images coming at me at the end. The other thing I noticed on second listen was that some hard consonant sounds are a little swallowed up: the T at the end of “follows suit” and in “tread water” and the k sound at the end of “lake”. your volume is a little low in general but you have a lovely voice and these are mostly small details/quick fixes. keep it up!

Grace17
          Participant

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll keep all that in mind.

Ksmack
    Participant

Hey there all. I have uploaded a few practice runs for my 2nd to last narration course. Please feel free to listen. I would love to hear your feedback.

gigihernandezdoesit
    Participant

Hi everybody! Back with a couple more reads. Definitely only looking for technique and performance notes, as I am recording on the phone. Here are some things I’m working on.
    With the Corona Refresca spot, I was looking for the right pacing. Trying to find the heartbeat of the thing to keep the energy up. (I rewrote it a little since coolers are out and spiked seltzers are in.)
    and with the NYCannabis spot, I was prioritizing sounding conversational while listing the very serious legalese/rules.
    General feedback and notes are also appreciated!
    Thanks,
    G

Attachments:
      Grace17
      Participant

The energy remains high in both reads which makes it interesting to listen to, and I think the pacing is pretty good in both. You might be a little choppy in the first sentence of the Corona read, but leaving space between words could work with tv as that could be when images appear on the screen and the pauses could lend to dramatic effect. For the Cannabis read, i think it would lend to your credibility to not invert(mentioned in Edge Studio’s guidebook) the word “children” but to end the word as if it were the end of a sentence like you did with the word “influence” at the end of the audio.

ecbrown220
      Participant

Both great reads! In the corona one some air got into your mic, that can be easily edited. Love the cannabis read, I do feel like your pace slowed at the end though.

JNMullett
    Participant

Well, there were supposed to be two…….. here’s the second one.

Attachments:
      JNMullett
      Participant

A little different version

Attachments:
        Luke V
        Participant

That was amazing, Jeff. If I heard this on the radio or TV, I would have absolutely thought it was professional, and I loved that “correction”; you definitely made a believer out of me.

Cheechman
          Participant

The first one sounded more authentic but sounded kind of faked to me.
          Needs to be more conversational and less over the top

JNMullett
          Participant

Thank you for your feedback, Cheechman! More conversational is something I’ve been working on.

JNMullett
          Participant

Thank you for the feedback, Luke. I appreciate your encouraging message!

JNMullett
    Participant

Hi All,

I have posted a couple of practice reads I have been working on. I am getting close to demo record day and would love any feedback you are willing to share. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Attachments:
      Luke V
      Participant

Your smooth and relaxing read reminded of an ad for a diamond jeweler store called Shane Co. I would hear it growing up and always found it soothing. The read starts with “peace” and it definitely carries that tone all throughout. Great job!

JNMullett
        Participant

Thank you for your feedback, Luke!

twstark
      Participant

Hi Jeff,

I really like this read. Very articulate and clean, and you have a very slight southern accent that adds a really nice “hometown” appeal to the script. You might even try a version that is just a little bit slower to drive the point home even further. Great work!

JNMullett
        Participant

Thank you for your feedback, TW! I will try playing with the tempo as you suggest.

IlikeGlen
    Participant

Hello Community
    I would love all of your feedback on My commercial reads I just finished my third coaching session and my coach said she see some progress would like to know what you all think thanks in advance.

Attachments:
      gigihernandezdoesit
      Participant

hi IlikeGlen! You have a fab voice and the energy is great for a kids candy commercial! the only note I have for you is to keep an eye on your diction: I heard “Aventure” and not “ADventure”. Thats it! keep up the good work!

Cheechman
      Participant

The first and second sounds like the pitch is a little on the high side. Too sing Songy
      The 3rd one sounded like you were reading opff the paper and very monotone

Luke V
      Participant

I really liked how all three had their own clear tones. It also sounded like they were carefully balanced to keep the conversational nature of the read. That was awesome.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.