Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Gill
    Participant

Hi any feedback welcomed on this read, this is on my phone so don’t need any audio feedback.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Gill.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Thomas_D
      Participant

Great job Gill! Even though the speed can ramp up a bit, I found the pace super helpful for my own reads, as I tend to read too fast.

LindsayCampbell
      Participant

Hi Gill! You have a very pleasing voice. I agree with RoxyMel on speeding it up ever so slightly, but thought it was easy to listen to and was the right persona for your audience. Good job! Very small nit-pick would be the pronunciation of “with.” Sounded like “wid family” the first time you said it, and “wit 100 years” the second. The last time you said it was perfect! “With a financial advisor.” 🙂

Gill
        Participant

Thanks for noticing that, very helpful to me and will be more cautious of it!

RoxyMel
      Participant

Hi Gill, I love your voice quality and enunciation! In my opinion, I would probably speed this read up just a slight touch. Good work

Gill
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback I thought it might be a little slow as well.

JoyceVOA
      Participant

Pace and diction were good. It sounded like a read, not conversational. You did warm up towards the end.

Thomas_D
    Participant

Very first VO recording with Art Bruder. Healthcare narration

Attachments:
      rustylj63
      Participant

Hey Thomas! Good job. I wonder how it would sound if you stretched it out just a little bit. Maybe slow it down a hair and see which sounds better.

Thomas_D
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Rusty! I naturally talk really fast so this feedback and challenge is huge!

LindsayCampbell
      Participant

Hey Thomas! Great job with your first recording! I think you sounded natural and believable. Some of your words run together a tiny bit, so be careful of that. “Aetna and Us Healthcare” sounded like “Aetna’n’UShealthcare” -all one word. Hope this helps!

Thomas_D
        Participant

Thanks Lindsay! Similar to Rusty, slowing down for me is the biggest challenge to overcome and what I’ve been working on recently, so this helps a lot!

JoyceVOA
    Participant

Am I reading my copy with a good flow or do I sound choppy? Thank you.

Attachments:
      Elise Duke
      Participant

Hi Joyce! I agree with Lindsey on varying your pitch when reading a list within a sentence. I think you can end each word in the list in a slightly different tone – higher, then slightly lower, and so on. I have trouble with this too 🙂 You want your listener to hear the first three items, and think… I get “analog instrumentation?,” “a leather steering wheel??” “AND contoured bucket seats?!?!”… wow I need a Buick!

Keep up the good work!

LindsayCampbell
      Participant

Hi Joyce- this read starts out with a list of 3 items. You ended each at the same pitch. “Instrumentation,” “wheel,” and “seats” we’re all the same note, even though there was a little variety with the other words. I would be conscious of this so it sounds more interesting. “Performance” “excitement” and “commitment to quality” was also the same note at the end of each item. Otherwise, I like your voice, and nice work. There were a couple pauses that made it choppy, but overall had a pretty good flow. 😊

Gill
      Participant

For this read, I hear that you’re trying to make it flow, but there are several things that’s causing it to be choppy. The first is where you’re pausing and the second is where you should have breaths. So be aware of pauses in the copy and make a note of where you should take breaths. Once you have those in the right places it should help your read to flow better.

JoyceVOA
    Participant

Does my read sound conversational? How is my diction?

Attachments:
      Tracy
      Participant

Overall I would say the pacing is good and it sounds relaxed but a bit choppy. Towards the ends of your sentences/pauses, your volume also decreases so some of the words are a bit swallowed.

Gill
      Participant

Hi
      I remembered your first read and yes you’re headed in the right direction. The beginning sounds alittle read but as you get towards the end you seem more relax and that sounds more conversational so just be more relaxed with your reads. Your diction seems clear to me. Keep it up!

Tracy
    Participant

Hi there Feedback Forum –

Looking for feedback on two short scripts. Thanks in advance for your time.

Tracy

Attachments:
      mir19800
      Participant

Hi Tracy,
      Both copies sound as if you were reading, a little choppy, because of the micro pauses.

LindsayCampbell
      Participant

Hi! Good job! I think they do sound a little “read” with a few unnatural pauses- between toxic and chemicals is a good example. Your pace is great, diction is great, and I think you nailed the attitude appropriate for the copy. I would imagine talking to a real person in your real life while reading these to help sound more conversational. Even use a lead-in: start your recording out by pretending you are talking to a real person, out loud, before the copy starts to get the feeling in your mind/body. You can edit that part out later! It has helped me a bunch. 😊

Tracy
      Participant

Much appreciation on the feedback. I will redo and repost keeping your suggestions in mind.

Gill
      Participant

Hi Tracy,
      I think both of your reads are good with pace and diction. I don’t think it sounds read, I think your tone might be a little strong for clearair but I can see that you are making it more of a serious read given the topic. The only thing I would pay attention to is enunciation on both and where you’re giving emphasis.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Gill.
      JoyceVOA
      Participant

MathPSA – You sound as if you are reading copy. I didn’t hear any emotion in your voice. I thought your pace and diction were great.

iSynge
    Participant

Hey everyone! I’d like feedback on a couple of recordings I’ve been using to practice. Thank you for your time!

Attachments:
      LindsayCampbell
      Participant

Hi! I thought these were both pretty good, natural sounding reads! I would say pay attention to your brand, though. Excedrin was not pronounced correctly. Listen to a commercial of theirs if you aren’t sure! should be exCEDrin. (as opposed to EXcedrin) Definitely wouldn’t want to mess this up in an audition 🙂

Cheechman
    Participant

This is the last one required for my homework.
    I appreciate all your patience listening to me read.

Moving on to class #2!

Attachments:
      RoxyMel
      Participant

Sounds very smooth and I love your voice quality. If I had to give constructive feedback I would say maybe a little more variation in accentuating or highlighting parts of the copy 😉

Cheechman
    Participant

This one has different styles.
    Personally, I like the 3rd one best.

Let me know

Thanks

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

I like the third one as well you lifted this script and made it entertaining in your own style.

Cheechman
    Participant

The attached ae submitted for feedback for my demo class.
    Any and all comments are appreciated

Attachments:
    LindsayCampbell
    Participant

Hi All- here are some narration scripts for critique!

Attachments:
      Thomas_D
      Participant

Hey Lindsay, agreed with Nicolance as well re: the acting training! What I like the most about your voices is that they all sound believable, like you really have internalized each of the scripts. I actually like B****r Creek and Depreciation the best, even though they were a bit faster than the Ulta and Plastic. The latter felt a bit too slow, but not to the point of being unbelievable. Maybe they sounded less conversational?

Cheechman
      Participant

Do you utilize a pop filter?

The S sound is very strong.

Other than that, I think all sounded pretty good!

Attachments:
      Joel
      Participant

Lindsay, you have terrific voices! And that is plural on purpose. It almost seems like you have distinctive high register and low registers to your voice. Depending on the copy, I wonder if you want to stick to a lower kind of voice or combine the two when needed.

nicolance
      Participant

Hello Lindsay – all of your samples have a conversational and natural – believable! – quality – WOW! I am guessing you have some acting training? You seem to be “hurrying” the copy. Slow down a bit and think about the person you are talking to – and who you are. In all of the samples, there are key words or phrases that you may have hit differently depending on character. Your plastic sample is a bit slower in pace than the other three, and your character seems more developed. That one is a winner! Keep at it – Lance

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.