Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    VoicesByJeff
    Participant

Hey guys! A few more practice reads. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      edixon310
      Participant

I agree with all the feedback already given by ThomasD, and the Barack Obama vibe on the Popeye’s read. The only thing I would add is that you may consider adding some more acoustical treatments to your studio to cut down on that slight echo.

Thomas_D
      Participant

Hey VoicesByJeff! What I like about all 4 recordings is your voice sounds consistent in each read (like none of them feel affected at all). Popeyes and Ziploc were my top 2 (I got a weird Barack Obama feel from the Popeyes read).

The only feedback I have is during the beginning of the Allstate read “Go Ahead…Make a Wish…”. I wonder how that would sound if the tone were switched up from each phrase, to make it sound like you’re really looking for that person to “make a wish…now speak to an All state agent”.

VoicesByJeff
        Participant

I really appreciate this feedback. And the advice on the Allstate read is great. Thanks!

jackjacknovak
    Participant

Here are a couple homework reads! Appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Attachments:
      VoicesByJeff
      Participant

Good reads. I thought the Austism speaks was the stronger of the two. I would just try to put a little more emphasis on “Autism Speaks” when reading. Overall nice job!

mcarter
    Participant

Hi All! Newbie posting for the first time for my homework assignment. Any and all feedback is appreciated at the moment (though I’m sure I’ll have more specific questions down the line!).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by mcarter.
    Attachments:
      Thomas_D
      Participant

Hey mcarter! You nailed the tone here. Your voice sounds really casual as if you’re talking directly to the audience.

The section with “You can seek top experts…” I thought was a hair too fast, though I liked the change-up of pace that made it sound more natural

slemay
        Participant

Being a newbie too I thought it sounded really natural and believable. I would make the last two sentences more like the beginning of your read. Sounds great!

mcarter
          Participant

Thank you both! Really appreciate the feedback

Heidi
    Participant

Hi! I recently went through the rigmarole of eliminating a strange staticky almost white noise in the background of my recordings by fiddling with my Blue Yeti settings. Only now, I’m afraid the noise reduction has sacrificed a percentage of “warmth” in the vocals. My ears are tired and wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a cow mooing and a plane crash at the moment. Can anybody lend their wisdom to what my sound setup currently needs? Thank you!
    (This is just a quick line to test the sound setup. Please try to ignore any mouth clicks, etc.)

Attachments:
    Benn Pharr IV
    Participant

G’morning all. I have a couple uploads for my first homework assignment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
      Thomas_D
      Participant

Hey Ben! Great first reads!

Skullcandy: I thought your diction was great and clear here. I wonder how it would sound if you either changed the inflection during some of “meaty” parts in the middle, OR gave them even more room to breathe, to really sell the product.

Vitamix: This was awesome. Felt like you were more warmed up and natural here. The very first sentence is such a long question. I wonder if there’s any way to break that up a little more through pace or dynamics to make it stand out and grab the attention more.

Nice stuff!

Benn Pharr IV
        Participant

Thanks so much Thomas! I appreciate the feedback. As I’m practicing, I’ll give your suggestions a try and compare them to the originals.

Sarania
    Participant

Hello All,
    I did 3 commercials for homework and would love any feedback you can give me.
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Attachments:
      elizbrooksbell
      Participant

You hit the key words really well! Great work!

Cheechman
      Participant

I thought Betty Crocker lacked sincere emotion, something I have a big problem with, by the way…lol
      The best one for me was the movie read.
      Very natural and hit the key words great.

JoyceVOA
      Participant

Betty Crocker – great read! I thought you sounded warm and inviting. I wanted to hear more about Betty. Some words you over pronounced and woman needed a little more emphasis.

brendiginette
    Participant

Hello everybody! I’m a newbie looking for some feedback on these scripts. My main focuses are: keeping good pace, avoiding micro pauses, and to not pitch down at the end of every sentence.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thank you community!

Attachments:
      elizbrooksbell
      Participant

The pacing was really good, however I would recommend a lead-In so it doesn’t sound like you’re just reading it of the page. Great job!

JoyceVOA
      Participant

Great diction and pace.However they both sounded like reads and not conversational.

VoicesByJeff
    Participant

Hey everyone! Just did some practice scripts for my latest assignment from my coach. Would love any feedback you have! Thanks!

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

VoicesbyJeff,
      Really nice jobs on these reads! Each sounded natural, pace complements each script and you’re clear with your diction. I liked that you changed the phrases of the last script with born instead of born itself. I caught myself being distracted with each word instead of the phrase so nice job on catching that in your variations.

Gill
    Participant

Hi some more practice scripts, any feedback would be great!

Attachments:
      Alli
      Participant

Both reads were really good. They sounded very clear and natural flowing, especially for 711. You have good inflection that keeps the script alive. I think youre doing great

VoicesByJeff
      Participant

These were both really strong! I thought the 711 was the stronger of the two but not by much. Voice clarity, pace and diction were all great. Keep it up!

Rebekah
    Participant

Hello all,
    I am an aspiring voice-over actress. This is my assignment for my 3rd private session. THis time I wanted to have a little fun with the Air Jamaica script and no, I am not a Jamaican native. Keep in mind I have been MIA for about 5 months as you offer your appreciated feedback. Let me know what you all think.

Attachments:
      Benn Pharr IV
      Participant

Hey Rebekah,

Your accent for Air Jamaica was pretty good. I had a good laugh as you stated you’re not native to the island. My only suggestion would be to add a little more energy and excitement to your delivery. Good job!

Gill
      Participant

Hi Rebekah,
      Air Jamaica:You did a nice job making me feel like I was going to Jamaica. If you didn’t mention it I would have said you sounded native. I think your pace is good for this read because anything faster with the accent would have probably made it harder to understand. Your diction was also clear. The only thing I would say about this is to make sure you continuously stay in the accent as I hear it dropped a few times.
      Motivational-Informercial: I like that you made this your own, for this read I would be mindful of your diction with research, your pace is good.
      National Gallery of Art: I liked your energy for this read and pace. I would be careful with some of the pronunciations with this read like Picasso sounded like Pocasso, nice job overall!

Rebekah
        Participant

Hi Gill,
        Thank you so much for your feedback. I will definitely keep those things in mind.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.