Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    edixon310
    Participant

Hi guys. Still working on my audiobook reads. I would appreciate feedback on this example.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Amitofu
      Participant

You knocked it out of the park, my man! I’m jealous of the gravitas you have, haha.

Only thing I can really notice is the ‘s’ sounds really tend to blend into the adjacent letters when you speak. Might have to do a few regimines of “She sells seashells by the sea shore” type of enunciation practice. Once you’ve nailed that down, I wouldn’t hesitate to hire you.

Definitely keep going!

edixon310
        Participant

Thanks Amitofu.
        I’ve actually been working on that. Some of it is equipment settings. I’ve been playing around with it and wondered if anyone would pick that up. I’ll keep at it.

Grace Lee
      Participant

The intent and intonation when you said “alive” at the end was on point! I wanted to know what happens next! The background music was well chosen for the script and made your read even more intense and interesting. Great read!

edixon310
        Participant

Thanks Grace, I really appreciate it.
        This is a tough field to break into, but practice, practice, practice.

jr.roop
    Participant

Hello everyone, recording next week. Very nervous and excited! Give me all the feedback you’ve got!

Attachments:
      Amitofu
      Participant

Really good! but slow down! haha. If nothing else, the listener has to have time to process what you say. I have the exact same problem when I’m nervous so don’t put yourself in a catch-22; kinda just remember to be proudly plodding each sentence you make with distinction.

Also there was a varying amount of mouth clicks or something, especially noticeable in the first suave ad. seemed like every other word. Once you kinda tame those things you should be good to go otherwise!

[[Disclaimer: I’m a rookie with ADHD. Sometimes I hyper-focus on something negligible and other times I make out-right ‘bad’ calls based on something I (wrongly) idealize. Also conversely, I can miss an elephant in the room. I focus on constructive criticism on the basis of improvement, so it may not be apparent how good I think a recording is; it’s not because I don’t want to gush about all the awesomeness 🙂 ]]

edixon310
      Participant

I don’t think you have anything to be nervous about. These were great reads.
      The only thing I would say is to try and bring just a bit more variation to the read and remember to hit on the key words, like the company name or the call to action. Those items should always stand out in your read.

Grace Lee
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m not using pro equipment yet so any feedback on just the read would be much appreciated!

Attachments:
      elizbrooksbell
      Participant

I like the sound of your voice a lot! One thing I would say would be to cut out some of the pauses, but other than that, great job!

Gill
      Participant

Hi Grace Lee,
      I really liked your read, I thought your pace and diction were good. Just be cautious of pauses they can make your read come across disconnected or choppy, I heard a few of them throughout the read. Otherwise really nice job!

Grace Lee
        Participant

Yes, you’re right, those micro pauses make it sound choppy. I will continue to work on that to make it smoother! Thank you for your feedback!

edixon310
      Participant

This is a good read with good voice quality.
      I think you were trying to be technically sound in your read which took away from the conversational delivery.
      Keep in mind that voiceovers are intended for people listening to you. You are there to let them know what you have to let them know. So, try to speak more like you are talking to your friends.

Grace Lee
        Participant

Yes, you’re absolutely right. I’m working on sounding more conversational but I get too concerned about enunciation. Def need to practice more! Thank you for your feedback!

RGK3
    Participant

Hi all:

Here are two different takes on a Duracell spot. I’d appreciate any feedback on the reads.

Attachments:
      Amitofu
      Participant

Great job! I’d say, the energy is great, but slow down with that same energy. I’m not sure, but some of the peaks sounded a little too punchy; some glottals I think. Keeping that energy with an even keel volume is difficult but gets easier as you practice and be aware. Also removing some gaps between clauses might be worth looking at, if I’m being nitpicky, but I liked the performance though overall though; I’d hire you.

[[Disclaimer: I’m a rookie with ADHD. Sometimes I hyper-focus on something negligible and other times I make out-right ‘bad’ calls based on something I (wrongly) idealize. Also conversely, I can miss an elephant in the room. I focus on constructive criticism on the basis of improvement, so it may not be apparent how good I think a recording is; it’s not because I don’t want to gush about all the awesomeness 🙂 ]]

Unity
    Participant

Hi there. As a novice I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks for your time in advance.

Attachments:
      Unity
      Participant

Amitofu and RKG3 thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Your observations/feedback is most appreciated.

Amitofu
      Participant

I won’t elaborate on the technical side since you seem to be using practice equipment like a phone.

Briefly, I’d say definitely slow down and connect to the words you say. Each word needs an impact of it’s own to collective make each sentence contagiously interesting. In particular, the “AFTCA”* acronym seems to be the biggest script hurdle to sound natural. It’s not easy, haha

RGK3
      Participant

Hi,
      Nice work. I think what would help your reads a bit is thinking about who you’re talking to and why you’re telling them these stories. That might help you keep them more conversational and help you create natural variations througout the reads to highlight different points.

forceonature
    Participant

Hi Friends!

I’m really working on connecting with my listener and knowing my why if that makes sense haha. Feedback greatly appreciated 🙂

The script:
    Learn Something New Today! Over 50,000 People Have Learned Crochet With The Woobles And You Could Be Next! Learn how to crochet with our beginner amigurumi crochet kits. They come with more than just materials – think step-by-step videos, easy-to-follow patterns, and a pre-started piece so you can jump right into your first crochet project!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by forceonature.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by forceonature.
    Attachments:
      Amitofu
      Participant

Really awesome work! I really felt the connection to the audience.

Two technical notes (if you were looking for them)
      1) low key hum in the background. Not horrible but just to be aware of.
      2) at :20 (“Prestarted PIECE”) there wasn’t really a plosive but you could barely hear a vibration feedback on your mic (maybe a boom arm?). Idk if a shockmount would fix it or just treating your environment. A person would have to be looking for it to hear it, but best foot forward, eh

Subjectively, I would try the opener two different tones and see which you like better: TRY something new today! (imperative) vs Try something NEW today! (wonderment)

Other than that I thought all the ‘hits’ were stellar.

RGK3
      Participant

Hi,

You have a great voice and vocal quality for this spot! The read is very friendly and warm. I wonder whether there are opportunities to vary the energy and bring in some of the excitement at the opportunity to learn a new skill and have it be so easy.

Gracie Parker
    Participant

Hello everybody! Ignore my post with the unplayable files, they were too large for the forum! I fixed them so they should be good this time. I am looking for feedback on rhythm, pacing, and intonation. I have received feedback that my sentences fall off basically to vocal fry at the endings. (It is true and I’ve been struggling to fix it.) Does my intonation sound better here? Thanks everybody! <3

Attachments:
      Amitofu
      Participant

Great job overall! I can definitely list a much greater amount of things you did right than wrong.

However, For improvement’s sake, here’s what I noticed in a critical light:
      I haven’t heard your previous work, but it does sound like you’re still grabbing the reins of enunciating with fluidity (which is difficult ofc, but pros make it look easy 😛 (I’m not one of them)). Sounds like you can nail it with a bit more practice; ideally we try make it sound like you are saying the words without thinking (while still being articulate). As the other person mentioned you do seem to run out of breath, so they become very noticably fading-out words. Also, subjectively, I feel like you’re reading too fast and that’s part of why you run out of breath toward the end of a couple of phrases (I have the same problem often). Don’t be afraid of slowing down and letting each word ‘sink in’ a bit (which will also help fluidity and articulation) as well as add a little emotional content (to be a little dramatic, haha).

I don’t know if you wanted technical feedback but briefly, I noticed some mouth sounds and smacks. You did a great job avoiding plosives for the most part. There is a very very light hiss in the background.

Again, overall good stuff.

forceonature
      Participant

Hi Gracie!

You have a great voice for this read 🙂 I thought your pacing was really good on both reads! One thing that really helped me with intonation and rhythm was picking what word in the sentence was most important to me. So for example: in the first sentence of the Annie E Casey Foundation read I would say, for me, “every” is the most important word (it could be different for you) “EVERY child deserves to grow up with…”. Putting emphasis on the important word that we chose can help both with rhythm and with intonation for me because it gives me kind of a target to hit if that makes sense? You don’t have to go crazy with it though! For example you do this REALLY well in the next sentence when you say “HIS skills HER talents….”

I think the vocal fry issue might be coming from running out of breath? At 23 seconds you say “poor neighborhoods” and run out of breath before finishing with “where the chance to thrive….”. I had this issue too! What I did to fix this is I made sure to take a good quality breath from my diaphragm where my natural pauses would be. This even helped with my pacing because it sort of forced me to slow down a little bit.

Keep up the great work!!! You have a great voice and I’m so excited to see what you do!

Gracie Parker
    Participant

Hello everybody! I am looking for feedback on rhythm, pacing, and intonation. I have received feedback that my sentences fall off basically to vocal fry at the endings. (It is true and I’ve been struggling to fix it.) Does my intonation sound better here? Thanks everybody! <3

johntells114
    Participant

Hello guys. I would appreciate anyone who gave feedback on my acting/performance. This is a part of horror narration I did.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by johntells114.
    Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Need to smooth it out. Kinda trails off at the ends of thoughts too.

Way more emotion on the key words

Gill
    Participant

Back with a few scripts would appreciate any feedback!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Gill.
    Attachments:
      Grace Lee
      Participant

Your approaches to the Zoloft and Children’s Advil scripts were very appropriate for the content making them relatable to the listener who would be a potential consumer. If anything, maybe say “fast” faster in the Advil one. lol. For the Autozone one, I could feel you smiling in your voice which was nice and engaging. Really great work!

Gill
        Participant

Grace lee, Thanks so much for your feedback I’m glad I made that connection and will work on my call to actions.

edixon310
      Participant

These are all very nice reads. The quality of your voice lends itself very well to the Zoloft and Advil reads.
      My only caution would be to try and vary your reads ( the pitch pace and tenor). All three sound very similar.
      And put emphasis behind the “call to action.”
      i.e. “It’s time to talk to your doctor”, or “better than Tylenol.”
      But great job!

Gill
        Participant

Thanks Edixon310 very helpful will work on that!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.