Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    nicolance
    Participant

Hello friends and cohorts – below is audition I never got to send – posting expired before I replied – (got to be fast!!). It is a character ad for local radio for a roofing company. Direction was: “this is for animated giraffe Archie, the mascot of the local roofing company – bubbly, fun, playful, chipper and enthusiastic.” Tell me what you think – thank you!! Lance (I did not edit out all the breaths since this was an audition)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      samsheeks
      Participant

The sound is really great! Can definitely tell you have a good set-up. And I can picture the character very clearly. It felt a little slow and the emphasized words in the last sentence felt a bit awkward.

BB123
    Participant

Hello Everyone,
    First time posting here. I am uploading these for my “homework” and would appreciate some feedback. Looking for two things: 1) How does the audio sound, recording from my home studio? and 2) How is my overall performance?
    Thank you.

Attachments:
      BB123
      Participant

Wow, thank you everyone for all the responses and for your feedback. I do appreciate it

88KeysDC
      Participant

I’ll echo some of the other comments – the beer ad was perhaps a little overly serious. It would be great to hear it delivered a little more conversationally. There were some mouth noises here and there, but the overall quality was very pleasing to the ears – you have a wonderful voice!

samsheeks
      Participant

You have a great voice for cars and beer! Great work. I wanted a little more dynamics in the Sam Adams one. I love the “manly” feel but it felt a little all one note.

nicolance
      Participant

Hey BB123 – as for technical – I can hear the force of your p and t . . .are you using a Pop filter? and you may wish to turn down your gain – you may be peaking (I find it a little loud). and a couple of mouth clicks – remember to hydrate a lot (I have this issue all the time). Your voice and tone are cool and deep and warm, and you sound natural- not forced or announcery. I don’t know what direction the Sam Adams ad might have had, but you sound so very serious – maybe too serious for a beer ad? Did you have someone in mind that you were talking to? Slow the pace on the car spot – and again think about who you are telling this info to. Good job! Lance

MayeWest
      Participant

I like how your pace is different in each. These sound great, keep up the good work!!

Cheechman
    Participant

Here is another one for comments.

ON all I like the ones with a 2 after …lol

This is it for today. Time for yardwork…YUK!!!

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

Great tone and pacing, and great casting for your voice. I wanted the tagline to feel a little more personal and less “sales-y”.

nicolance
      Participant

Hello Cheechman – your tone and deep richness bring an authority to you read in all cases. Whenever you have a list of things, vary the tone of each part of the list so they sound different – otherwise they all sound the same and the list gets lost. You had lists in several of your reads below and all cases, you should vary the tone. I hear you reading the scripts – but I want to hear you having a conversation and talking to someone . . .try picturing someone you are telling this to – I think this will help to reduce your announcer sound. Good jobs – Lance (and a note to you – a pop filter does not affect the s sounds – only has affect on sounds that push a lot of air out in front of your face – like P or T)

Cheechman
        Participant

I was informedd the pop filters do lessen the S and P sounds

Cheechman
    Participant

Here is another one for comments.

ON all I like the ones with a 2 after …lol

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Thanks, alot!
      I have a hard time picturing someone to read to.

nicolance
        Participant

try using a real photograph to look at during the read?

Cheechman
    Participant

Here are the other 2 from the previous post.
    Don’t know why they didn’t attach.

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

You have a perfect voice for these types of projects. But I think you can work on making your sentences flow a little more. It sounded a bit too rehearsed at points. And on the Trump ones, I think you could have gone further with the assertiveness.

Cheechman
    Participant

I’m uploading 3 sets of 2 each for my second coaching session.
    All comments will be taken seriously and are completely appreciated.

Attachments:
      MayeWest
      Participant

The first one sounds cleaner than the 2nd. Good job!!!

ladyburdkm
    Participant

Hi all, I welcome feedback on these commercial reads; creativity, pace, clarity, and conversational delivery.

Attachments:
      Rachel MSP
      Participant

Hi,
      I thought this sounded like a great radio ad. I prefer the crayola-2 rather than 4 because it didn’t sound as confident and the inflections/cadences on certain words/phrases didn’t sound like they were placed where you might have wanted them.
      I might suggest sounding slightly more enthused, only to keep the listener’s attention.

ladyburdkm
        Participant

Thank you kindly Rachel! Going to keep on practicing! 🙂

samsheeks
      Participant

The sound quality is really great! And totally believable “mom” voice. The thoughts felt a little choppy at points and that was distracting, especially in the first line. Maybe work on connecting thoughts and driving the through-line.

ladyburdkm
        Participant

Excellent, I felt the choppiness as well. I really appreciate this. Thank you

TeatroMan
    Participant

Looking for feedback on my narration spots. Any micro pauses, am I pronouncing words correctly? Engaging? That sort of stuff

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Hi TeatroMan,
      Nice work on your reads you showed a wide variation of your pitch. I really liked cosmos because I felt that had a more conversational connection and your pace was good for the read. I’m not sure what you were aiming for with one piece. If you’re considering a gaming read for it then I would say your projection would be on track but if you weren’t then its a little over projected. I did like your characterization of it. For Chaplin, I did hear some slurring of your words so just be mindful of that. Overall nice job!

samsheeks
      Participant

Great work! I can hear you trying to pronounce things clearly – keep it up! I think it will keep getting easier!

Amy Connerley
    Participant

Preparing for my commercial demo! I would love feedback on if these sound conversational and my pacing! *Traveling at the moment so recording on my phone, so no notes on recording quality please!

Thank you! 🙂

Attachments:
      elizbrooksbell
      Participant

Really good work! The only thing I would mention would be the pacing, sometimes you seem to be going a bit fast, and other times too slow. I would just say to be more consistent!

samsheeks
      Participant

great enthusiasm and connection to the script! I can hear that your room needs some treatment. It was a bit echo-y and I can hear some static or so from your equiptment.

nicolance
      Participant

Hello Amy – great energy. Slow down on Barbie a little – this will help with enunciation – lost the t on adult both times, and the d in assembled. And who are you talking when you say “you can be anything”? It will sound more conversational if you have someone you are telling this to . . .as for Discovery – that is more of a promo than a commercial . . .promos tend to be big – and so if you add more energy and again think about who you are telling this to, you will have more of a conversational tone. Great job on both – Lance

Cheechman
      Participant

Are you using a “pop” filter?

The letter s is very noticeable.

Otherwise, they sound good.

BB123
    Participant

Test. Plz ignore

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.