Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    nicolance
    Participant

Hi Forum folks – sample of a commercial for radio – did the audio sound clear? Any technical issues? Thanks Lance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      ladyburdkm
      Participant

Great voice and I love your texture! Great pace and very clear.

Amy Connerley
      Participant

Love your read and your pacing! I would like a little more conversational feel to the “in fact” and the “why” direction changes, but I really love your tone!

88KeysDC
      Participant

The audio was nice and clear and your voice was a pleasure to listen to – I can almost imagine the background music that could be paired with this when it hits the radio. Good stuff!

88KeysDC
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve been away from Voice Over training for a little while, and I’m trying to get back into the swing of things. I figured I’d upload a couple of samples in the hopes of getting some feedback. I’d appreciate any comments on my pacing and flow. I’m also trying to improve my recording quality, so any feedback on the production would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

These were great! Keep up what you’re doing. Good understanding of script and intention.

ladyburdkm
      Participant

Wow, these are great. I enjoyed the tone of your voice and you had an excellent pace. I felt like you were talking to me! Very happy you shared your reads. Thank you

nicolance
      Participant

Hi 88KeysDC – Thank you for posting your samples. I enjoyed listening to them – the high professional quality of your recording, your friendly, engaging and conversational tone and the fact that I thought you were talking to me. I don’t know why you’ve been away from VO – but it is time to pursue. You’re a natural! Lance

samsheeks
    Participant

More practice recordings for Pampers and Legos! Trying on my “mom” hat for these. Notes Appreciated 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by samsheeks.
    Attachments:
      Rachel MSP
      Participant

Hello,
      These were both very clear and had a good pace.
      I thought your interpretation of both scrips were very unique. I would suggest rereading them with different inflections to find something the sounds/feels more natural and less like you are acting.

88KeysDC
      Participant

Very clean recordings and I can hear your enthusiasm for the brands. Good stuff!

samsheeks
    Participant

Here are my most recent practice recordings with my current set-up! Working on making my home studio sound as clean as possible. Would love some input!

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Need more emotion, excitement, in the read.

I have the same problem and it’s hard to work on.

The 2nd and 4th read were my favs.

daveg
      Participant

Ok. Nice sound. clean, no obvious problem…at least in my studio monitors. Your reads sound a bit…dramatic…can i hear you smile while you read some of this…? let the sun shine in on consumer brand reads…the audience is gonna be female…imagine a good friend who is an at home mom…

samsheeks
    Participant

Would love some feedback on this practice recording for Spotify. Thanks so much! 🙂

Attachments:
      Rachel MSP
      Participant

This sounded really good in my opinion. I would only suggest going back over the word “is” at the end you kind of threw it away when you said “the right music is always at your fingertips”.

madtrammell
      Participant

Great Work! The sound quality was excellent and you have very good pacing and delivery as well!

elizbrooksbell
    Participant

Looking for some feedback on my narration!

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

I can hear some echo in your recording. I would work on upgrading your space or equipment.

madtrammell
      Participant

Very pleasant sounding voice! Only note that I have is that the pauses seem a bit long between phrases, I have been told that this can make recordings sound un-natural. One rule that I have implemented when editing my recordings is half a second pause for periods and a quarter of a second for commas. Well done!

elizbrooksbell
    Participant

Looking for some feedback on my narrations!

Attachments:
      joekett
      Participant

Hi Elz,
      Listening to your voice, you are obviously young and adventurous to be working towards VO. I love seeing that. You read very well and have an intelligent sounding voice. My suggestion is that you try to read more like you’re speaking to your friends. Be like a smart the smart kid that makes all the other kids want to listen to you as I’m sure you do in real life. Also work a little or even a lot to find the best words to emphasize. You could learn a lot in an interesting class that David Goldberg does on winning in Auditions. It’s only 50 bucks but it’ll really get you some good direction. You’ve got great potential. As a business person, I’d like to hear a voice like that telling me about my products and services.
      Good Luck
      Joe

elizbrooksbell
    Participant

Looking for some feedback for my narrations

Attachments:
    Logan DFD
    Participant

I’m trying to vary my pitch to get a more natural read. Does this sound like it could be in a commercial? I’d appreciate some good feedback!

RiseWell Toothpaste

How do you get clean?

At RiseWell we believe oral hygiene should be natural and safe, without nasty toxins.

Our natural mineral flavours will have you feeling fresh all day.

Your teeth will not only feel healthier but also look visibly whiter.

RiseWell mineral toothpaste – as effective as a chemical clean, without nasty toxins.

Time for a mineral clean, time to RiseWell.

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

Sound is good. I can hear a bit of room noise. And your words got a little mushy at some points.

88KeysDC
      Participant

Recording quality is pretty good, my only suggestion is that the read seemed just a little intense for the subject matter. Maybe try a slightly more conversational tone and see how it feels.

elizbrooksbell
      Participant

Sounds great!

MayeWest
    Participant

Hello everyone! This is my first upload and yes I am very nervous! Besides me sounding breathy, what do you think?? Thank you in advance! ~Valley

Attachments:
      88KeysDC
      Participant

I now want to try a fish boil lol. My only suggestion would to be to maybe bring a little more energy to the fish boil read (without going over the top). But for your first attempt, pretty good stuff!

MayeWest
        Participant

I’m glad my vo makes you want to try a fish boil 🙂
        Thank you for your feedback!!!

daveg
      Participant

have you ever watched “in a world”?

MayeWest
        Participant

Hello! I have never watched in a world. Should I check it out?

elizbrooksbell
      Participant

Sounds great! I agree that drinking water is super helpful.

MayeWest
        Participant

Thank you very much!! I’ll keep that in mind.

Logan DFD
      Participant

Good reads! They’re nice and clear. As for the breathy-ness of your recordings, you could do what I suggested to JNMullett, where you make space around each breath for easy cutting (if you have an editing software, that is). If you can’t edit your recordings, something you could do is to experiment with training your body to take quiet breaths (maybe raising the soft palette in the back of your mouth when you breathe?). Or you could turn your head away when you breathe to keep the microphone from picking it up as much.

In the second read, you had a few mouth sounds. To treat that, I’d say drink a LOT of water. Hydration is really important for Voice Over work.

Great work, and keep it up!

MayeWest
        Participant

Thank you for your feedback! Raising my soft pallet is definitely doable. I’ll record my next script using my shift pallet as well as the turning of the head. This has been helpful. Oh yes….. and lots of water!!!!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.