Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    IlikeGlen
    Participant

Hi Fellow Voice Actor’s must speak it into existence here I two recordings I did from the practice manual I would greatly appreciate your feedback hanks in advance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Mike T
      Participant

I like the variety between the two spots! The delivery for both spots felt fast. I think if you can slow the pacing down a bit it will help take these to the next level.

Audrea23
    Participant

Hello everyone –
    First time posting to the forum and looking for some feedback on my pacing as well as my tone. I’m definitely more comfortable with the eLearning and IVR, I also wanted to try my hand at something different from my preferred genre (Words Can Do Anything mp3) and would love to hear feedback on ways I can improve.
    Note: I do not have my home studio fully set up yet, but if you have technical and/or creative input I’d appreciate it!

Attachments:
      Jaljr
      Participant

Hey Audrea
      Great reads
      Pitch to close had the right tone and tempo for my ear and was engaging to keep the listener moving
      The spa telephony sounded just right
      Words needs some more variety in tone and pitch. I wasn’t sure of the mood you were trying to set.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Hi Audrea.
      I liked the copy of the eLearning. You have a nice voice. Maybe work on breath support so that you can perform the copy without unnecessary pauses in between the sentences. I could hear some breathiness and pauses between words at times. I think that can easily be fixed by trying the copy a couple of different ways, like having more emphasis on keywords that the listener of the ad needs to hear. Maybe sound more dynamic, adding some more energy to the copy that can be informative, interesting, and hold the listener’s attention. I’m sure you can find the right pace that works for you.

ikrani
      Participant

On your “Words Can Do Anything” read, I think your pitch was a little too narrow for the first 18 seconds. Once you got to “Like the human rights activist-“, your pitch range seemed to widen slightly, and it makes you sound more invested in what you’re saying, more authoritative. You sounded like you wanted us to take this stuff seriously, lest we find ourselves in a similar situation. The emphases on “human”, “journalist”, and “thousands” saw a gradual rise in your peak pitch for each one, like talking about these injustices was subtly getting to you.

Prior to that, I was having trouble getting a fix on what mood you were trying to set. You were talking about positive stuff like birthdays and friends with a lack of investment, like someone reading a grocery list aloud. What you might consider is, if not widening the pitch range in the first part, perhaps moving the highs and lows a little higher, so there’s a slightly more noticeable rug-pull as you down-shift along the route of, “Friends, birthdays, human rights violations.”

Audrea23
        Participant

Thank you so much! Words Can Do Anything was challenging for me – I wasn’t sure what the mood “should” be and the “happy” things, in the beginning, were very confusing with the more somber things detailed at the end. I’m going to take your feedback to my Coach so I can work on the areas you pointed out. I definitely prefer eLearning and telephony but I want to improve in other areas and your comments were VERY helpful!

Mike T
    Participant

I’m working on finding and adding an explainer element to my upcoming narration demo. Any feedback would be appreciated! Also, my AC was running during this recording. I normally turn the air off when I record. I’m curious if anyone is able to pick up the sound of the AC and how distracting it ends up being.

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

Way to go! Sounded natural and relatable, while also very precise and heloful.

gigihernandezdoesit
      Participant

Hi Mike T. These sounded great, I liked the Smarts Broadcasting spot for your friendly energy. One tiny thing I noticed is a couple diction things, but you’re so naturally moving through the sentence its not like it made it hard to follow, it was great!

Audrea23
      Participant

Great job! I enjoyed each of these and could feel myself relaxing into your steps and envisioning myself following along. While I have a fan on at the moment, I didn’t notice the AC at all. If the sound was present it did not distract me from being able to focus on your directions.

Mike T
        Participant

Thank you!

ikrani
    Participant

Hi, all.
    Per my VO coach’s instructions, I’ve prepared and uploaded a read for a commercial script.

Attachments:
      Silver Wit
      Participant

Sounds good to me, I think your tempo is a little slow at first, but it still matched the feel of the ad.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Hi, ikrani,

It’s a good recording that is well-paced, I can hear your words clearly and understand what you are saying. Were you aiming to do a cold read for the toothpaste brand, practicing reading copies, or was this homework for pacing?
      There are some moments when I hear you pause. I’m not sure if that’s because of the microphone or if there’s something in the background.
      Anyway, keep up the great work!

elizbrooksbell
      Participant

I think it sounds super good! One thing I would say is that when hitting the key words, you might want to try blending them in a little more with the other words, if that makes sense. Other than that, you sounded great!

Audrea23
      Participant

Absolutely loved listening to this, and truly felt I was immersed in an actual radio/tv commercial.
      I would consider pausing ever so slightly longer (for half a second) between your transition from How do you get clean…to At RiseWell
      The pacing/cadence on “as effective as a chemical clean” seems different from the rest of the recording; however; it works well with this product/advertisement.

ikrani
        Participant

That’s good to hear. I was afraid this would sound too much like a rough take rather than a final cut. I never got to do any last-minute re-recordings like I’d planned, on account of throat-related sickness.

Shae Van Der Merwe
    Participant

Hello and Happy Tuesday to everyone!
    This is my first time posting on this forum and I am very excited for the feedback to help me further and better my practice. I appreciate all of you and your feedback.
    I have not yet set up a home studio, as I am in the early stages of my Voice Over journey, so my apologies for the sound quality.
    I am focusing on the Narration genre at the moment and am looking to broaden my range and work on diction. I would love any feedback on the delivery and interpretation of the text and my diction.
    Thanks so much for the help and I wish you all success on your journey as well.
    I have included the text below, it is from the Edge Studio script library.
    “Hey there new employee, or should we say, new family member. As a member of the Texicon family, we want to formally introduce you to your new home, but too formal because that’s just not our style. Now you’ve already got your new uniforms and met with our incredible CEO, or head of the family as we like to call him. Now it’s time for me to bring you up to speed on what your days are going to be filled in with. Make sure you grab some of the complimentary cake you have in front of you, we love cake here so you’re going to have to get used to that, and see what the rest of your time at the Texicon household has in store for you!”

Attachments:
      gigihernandezdoesit
      Participant

Hey there Shae! you do have a wonderful sound and your read is very natural! I would say, if you’re hoping to increase your range, try to mix it up with pacing and adjusting your volume along the way. The cheerful tone works for the like, “character” in this copy, but in the long form of it all, adding those levels will really keep a listener engaged. great work though!

Shae Van Der Merwe
        Participant

Thanks so much for your Feedback. This is very helpful.

madtrammell
      Participant

I liked this read, you have a great voice!

cammons01
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Uploaded a couple of practice scripts for commercial demo. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Attachments:
      Silver Wit
      Participant

You have a great voice, but I feel like you’re taking a few too many long pauses for your lego land read. I agree with the “lead-in” strategy, it’s something I need to remind myself of too.

Mike T
      Participant

You’ve got a great voice! I think you can work a bit on the delivery. It sounded to me like you were reading instead of performing. The Home Depot spot was the best. It won’t take much to get that one to have a more natural delivery.

The Lego Land spot sounded to me like a radio live read, where the host is reading off a sheet of paper live. That’s not a total negative (I love radio and worked in the industry), but probably not the sound you want on your demo.

Also, watch your breathing. I didn’t notice this in the Home Depot spot, but you had some sharp in-breaths on the Lego Land spot. Some breaths are good, but I think those added to the sensation of it sounding like a radio live read vs a produced commercial.

Keep at it!

cammons01
        Participant

Thank you so much for the feedback! Greatly appreciate it.

I agree with the breathing. I find it challenging sometimes to breath at certain times throughout the script without making the delivery sound so “choppy” (for lack of better words).

Maybe using more of the “lead-in” technique could help deliver a more conversational, natural delivery for the Lego Land spot?

Mike T
          Participant

I’ve found the lead-in technique definitely helps me keep things conversational, which I struggle with. There are breathing techniques that would probably be able to help as well. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to research any yet myself, even though I need to. I also get sharp in-breaths at the beginning of some sentences.

Keep working at it!

madtrammell
    Participant

Hello everyone, hope you are all having a great and productive start to the week! I am looking to get some feedback on my second practice read for narration as I am preparing to record my first official narration demo in a few weeks.

Thank you!

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

Great voice!! But this could have been a bit more lively with some more variety. Shakespeare and the theatre are supposed to be fun and inspiring!

cammons01
      Participant

Very nice and textured voice. The pacing was great. I think you can bring a tad-bit more variety to it to give more “life” to the delivery. Other than that, it was really good. Keep up the good work!

Mike T
      Participant

It sounds good! Try to have a little more variety in your read. Even though this is only 25 seconds long, it still has a beginning, middle, and end. If you can vary your performance a bit, you can connect to the listener more and better tell the story.

Rachel MSP
    Participant

Rachel Summers assignment of 10 commercial scripts for first VO private lesson. Looking for constructive feedback. TIA

Attachments:
      Mike T
      Participant

I really like the Six Flags spot. I didn’t hear you, I heard the character! The only thing on that spot might be to deliver the final “Yes!” in a way that contrasts more with the no’s from earlier in the script.

edixon310
      Participant

Rachel, this demo is very good. My only suggestion would be to give us more of a roller-coaster ride, i.e. more highs and lows in terms of animation. And remember to billboard the company name with a bit of a space before and after.

Declan Waters
    Participant

Hello All,

Some more practice scripts. Any and all feedback is welcome!
    The Sesame Place recording I found challenging because I wanted to find a balance between my unaffected voice and the classic over-the-top theme park commercial guy. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments:
      Silver Wit
      Participant

Great read, but I have to agree that you should have fun with the Sesame read. Tap into your inner child and let the good times roll.

samsheeks
      Participant

The sound is great! Overall, really good reads with good understanding of the scripts. In Freshii, I wanted you to really paint the picture of the bowls, make me really want to eat that right now! And in Sesame, have more fun and make it feel more lively and animated – more character!

edixon310
      Participant

Declan, these are both very good Reads. I like that they are conversational.
      I’ll give my opinion because the reads were very good.
      In the Freshii read, when you ask the questions, there should be more inflection to accentuate that they are questions. Yours sound more like statements.
      The Sesame Place read, should be more animated, as if talking to children. Essentially the ad is directed to catch a child’s attention so they bug their parents about going.
      Overall, very good job.

Cheechman
    Participant

This my last read of 10 for coaching.

#1 is over the top, very masculine I would say.
    #2 is a little more reserved.

All comments are welcome but would really like to know which one is the one YOU li9ke.

Thanks again.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Cheechman.
    Attachments:
      madtrammell
      Participant

I enjoyed number 1, I feel that for this type of read the over the top performance is more appropriate.

Declan Waters
      Participant

Hello,
      I really like #1, I think your voice is suited to be powerful. The words invoke a sense of authority, and your voice in #1 delivered that more thoroughly, I think.

Cheechman
        Participant

I really enjoy “over the top” reads, but the coach and others tell me it only represents approx. 20% of available work?

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.