Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    anlevine95
    Participant

Hey All! (part 2 since i went over maximum file amount).

I have my demo recording coming up soon and wanted some feedback on my reads if anyone has the time. Thanks in advance!

Adam

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      samsheeks
      Participant

Great reads! Focus on diction. You have a very distinct voice – would love to hear you do some fun characters!

anlevine95
    Participant

Hey All!

I have my demo recording coming up soon and wanted some feedback on my reads if anyone has the time. Thanks in advance!

Adam

Attachments:
    nicolance
    Participant

Hi again – this was for 10 second digital ad audition – “looking for cool voice with swagger”. Did you feel the swagger? Thanks, Lance

Attachments:
      Jaljr
      Participant

Yeah…I liked the second read as well. It had an extra measure of swagger that the first read lacked. Tough to get capture “too cool for school” in 10 secs, but I think you got it. Great read!!

samsheeks
      Participant

Loved the second read! I would even take it a bit further to really grab the attention in those 10 short seconds. Great work!

nicolance
    Participant

Audition sample sent for male VO for safety video: “read needs to sound experienced but friendly” Your feedback please? – Thanks, Lance

Attachments:
      Jaljr
      Participant

Hey, Lance – great read. That feels like a tough script to get the message across while still sounding “friendly and experienced.” You got them both though. I agree that the tempo felt slow. But you gotta hit the points in the script and make them all sound important

samsheeks
      Participant

Great job on sounding experienced and friendly! I would just speed it up a tad. A little more urgency to keep the listener interested.

Joe Slade
    Participant

Hello Feedback Forum,

I’m currently working on my narration demo and would love some feedback on these two sample script reads.
    Does my read sound conversational?🤔 ( I’m not working from a professional home studio yet, so I’m not quite ready for any technical feedback )

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts.

Jaljr
      Participant

Great reads, Joe!! Definitely conversational.
      Both should have a wide eyed feel (for different reasons lol). I liked the earth origin read better.

Joe Slade
        Participant

Hey Jaljr! Thanks so much for the great feedback here. I liked your mention of a “wide-eyed feel” for both reads. 🙂

Joe Slade
      Participant

Reformatted audio files attached 🙂

Attachments:
        samsheeks
        Participant

Great reads! Definitely sounds conversational, I was just missing a bit of excitement/wonder. And be careful of dropping your tone at the ends of words, a few words were lost because of this.

Joe Slade
          Participant

Hey Samsheeks!
          Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on these reads here. I really appreciate your notes on dropping tone and adding a bit of wonder/excitement in reads where that extra energy is such a good fit. Great feedback all around!

samsheeks
    Participant

I did two different takes of this fun infomercial!

Attachments:
      Jaljr
      Participant

These were really good. Created urgency in the ad without raising your voice while still getting the message out. I liked both.

samsheeks
    Participant

A couple more!

Attachments:
      Jaljr
      Participant

The Allstate read had the feeling of you putting an arm around the listener and showing them how to achieve their life goals. Good, intimate read. Drew the listener in…

Advil was good as well. Clearly explaining the product and its benefits in an authoritative tone in what felt like a tough script to read.

Thanks for these

samsheeks
    Participant

Hi all! Working on my second round of assignments. Would love some feedback, as always!

Attachments:
      Silver Wit
      Participant

I liked your waterpik read, though I feel like you could up the tempo in the beginning and the end of the commercial. The tempo in the middle sounded perfect to me.

IlikeGlen
      Participant

Hi Samsheeks
      Tone sounds good I would try to read straight through without the pauses

gigihernandezdoesit
    Participant

ATTN SPANISH SPEAKERS// folks working in the Spanish/Spanglish commercial genre! Will you take a listen?
    I’m a commercial genre kindergartner and basically an infant when it comes to doing any VO in Spanish, so any and all performance/technique notes are appreciated! Strongly considering adding some bilingual fun to my first demo.
    Not looking for technical or sound quality notes today, just ~general~. always aiming at natural, conversational, and understandable.

I also ran the Ziploc piece a couple times for fun. Still trying to pin down what my signature voice is so, gonna keep trying a few different styles in the forum.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by gigihernandezdoesit. Reason: forgot to upload!
    Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

Hello Feedback Forum,
      I am working on my Audiobook Demo and wanted to share some of my practice recordings before a session next week. All input is appreciated!
      Thanks,
      -SuperLuke

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

Ziploc: Great understanding of the script and your voice is perfect for this spot. It got a bit staccato towards the end where the thought could be smoothed out. I did hear some sounds that sounded like bumping the mic… not sure what they’re from but they were distracting.

IlikeGlen
    Participant

Hello Fellow Voice Actors, I would love to hear what you all think of my practice recordings thanks for taking the time to listen in advance.

Attachments:
      samsheeks
      Participant

Lovely voice to listen to! I would like to hear more variety between your spots and within each spot. More connection to the script, perhaps? You have a very distinct “performing” voice that could sound more natural.

IlikeGlen
        Participant

Thanks samsheeks superluke
        Gigihernande?thanks for the great feedback your constructive thoughts are fantastic thank you

SuperLuke
      Participant

I like how you slated your name and then performed the copy. Maybe add some deeper tone, similar to the “Allstate” guy on TV. Anyway, it was a nice recording to listen to. Keep up the practice!

gigihernandezdoesit
      Participant

Hi Glen! I really liked your instinct to get soft and intimate in the potennix spot, but I think you have a distinct rhythm that you hit almost like a metronome, that makes it a lil monotonous. Definitely feel free to play around with your tempo more. I felt similarly about the mortgage holder piece. Jumping in on a phrase like “the cinema has no boundary,” is so epic ! maybe try to lead in slowly and then warm up as you get to recommendation part of the spot, just for some more dynamism. <3 good luck!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.