Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    waninick
    Participant

Hey gang. Wanted to post something to see if my audio stack is up to the task. This is a clip where the first part is dry, straight from the mic. It is then repeated with R10 De-click, De-Noise, and ProEQ3, all in Studio One 6.5 (not the Pro version).

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

TimG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MattSchonberg
    Participant

Hi all! Working on my second demo now, doing some between classes practice/homework recording commercial practices, any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments:
      Terra Ashe
      Participant

Hi! You have a very bright and positive tone with this, which I think is right direction for it. I think it could be a more conversational(you had a fabulous conversational part at the “no promises on less mess but definitely…” section try bringing in more of that) if you don’t already have someone specific you are telling about this. One other thing, there is a lot of this vs that in this script, play with those differences more. Good job!

Marguerite_54
    Participant

Thank you for sharing such an informative post! https://valerocreditcard.fun/

Marguerite_54
    Participant

Thank you for your insightful information. It’s been a great learning experience.

Kay165
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m new on here, and to voiceover, and would appreciate any feedback at all you could give me please, as I am putting together my first narration demo. No technical though please as these were recorded on my phone 🙂

Thanks in advance 🙂

Attachments:
      Treva Dean
      Participant

These sound great! I’d say the Seinfeld sounded a bit rushed, like maybe it was the first one you recorded and you were nervous about it, but not so much that didn’t still flow well. In the Amelia Earhart one, the inflection on “pioneering pilot” just sounded a little flat compared to the lovely lilt the rest of the sample had. Overall, though, seriously good work!

Kay165
        Participant

Thanks so much Treva! Really appreciate your comments and time 🙂

Karen Maria
    Participant

Hi everyone, first-timer here looking for some creative feedback (no technical notes, pls) as I learn and practice. How are things with my pace/cadence, tone, does it sound authentic/conversational enough? Is the read smooth or choppy? Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Attachments:
      Terra Ashe
      Participant

Nerds
      -Nice pace, I would just slow down that first word, maybe give yourself a lead in to start.
      AGI
      -Lovely tone! I think you could have a bigger tone shift between the stated problem in the first line and then going into the solution.
      Dovato
      – you have a nice empathetic voice here, keep the empathy and add some more brightness to it, you are giving someone something that could really improve their quality of life. The end is a little choppy.
      Loreol
      – I think your tone and pace are good here I think it just needs to be a bit more conversational. Try to have a very specific person in mind who you are talking to and telling about this awesome new mascara you just started using.

Overall good job!

Shay H.
    Participant

Hey Everyone! I am brand new to all of this and looking for some feedback. I went to a past script reading contest and used the following prompt to make and post my first ever voice recording. I did not read or listen to the winners of this contest as I wanted to have my fresh take on it and get a feel through your feedback if I have decent instincts as to direction. Also, I would love some feedback on my voice in general and if voice acting could be worth pursuing. Please point out any changes in audio quality I need to make if my setup sounds terrible. Thanks for taking the time to listen. The prompt is below.

Voice Direction:
    This is a simulated audition for American Life Investment. We want a voice actor who doesn’t sound like a voice actor. We want someone who sounds absolutely real, like a regular person without polished speech, who is charismatic and will prompt a listener to watch our video, without sounding like a spokesperson or a sales person. Feel welcome to ‘warm it up’ and sound spontaneous without straying from the script. This is the first in a series of 18 videos, each between 2 and 11 minutes in length. We use Edge Studio to cast and record.

Script:
    There’s no better time than now to take control of your financial situation. Because choices you make today have a direct impact on the quality of your future. That’s why “American Life Investment” brings you this, “My Retirement Planning” video.

Attachments:
      Treva Dean
      Participant

This is a solid read! I agree with what Brian said above about the pauses, and I’d add that it could use a little more “excitement”. The direction notes say they want a “charismatic” read that will get people to watch the next video, so a little more energy wouldn’t be amiss here. Well done!

Brian Lakes
      Participant

Hi Shay. Nice voice! When you are reading a script make sure your cadence is smooth and you are not adding comma’s to the script where there are none. In the first part of the first sentence you have a pause in between “No” and “Better”, same thing with “Control” and “Of”. On the next sentence the word “Because” is rushed more than the rest of the sentence. (This is something I have been working on as I tend to do this too). Your audio quality and setup sounds good! Keep it up!

Brian Lakes
    Participant

Good evening everyone! I have an e-learning sample here. Couple questions for you all.
    1. Does it sound conversational?
    2. Is my pace good or do I sound choppy?
    3. Am I cutting off any words or do any words sound goofy? 🙂

I appreciate any info or advice that you have! Thanks so much!!!

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Brian Lakes. Reason: I uploaded the wrong file
    Attachments:
      Treva Dean
      Participant

Nice work! I’d say slow it down just a tad – it felt a little rushed. Good enunciation and pitch.

Kay165
        Participant

Hi Brian, I’m totally new here so just developing my critical ear, lol. Love your voice – pitch /timbre and I thought pace sounded pretty good too, though maybe could benefit from slowing down a tad perhaps? The only little thing I could pick up on was what sounded like a period after “history”, whereas I think maybe it was the first in a list..? “…history, mission, vision and values…”
        A great read though!

Treva Dean
    Participant

Hi all! I have a second one that I could use feedback on. Again, working on my conversational tone, but any and all feedback is helpful!

Attachments:
      Kay165
      Participant

Hey Treva, I liked this read and to me it sounded nicely conversational, especially “let’s get started!” at the end. I think maybe I could hear a few nerves? (Not sure!) but to be expected when we’re new to this!

Hello everyone…just a little practice!

Creative feedback only please! No technical feedback please!

How is my diction? How is my pace? Do my reads sound conversational?

Please let me know…thank you!

Attachments:
      Treva Dean
      Participant

Good reads! For the Chobani one, there’s a pause right after “rule” that disrupts the flow. There’s also an emphasis on the word “be”, when it seems like emphasis on “couldn’t” or “delicious” would make more sense given the text. You’re doing great!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.