Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Mike Koziol
    Participant

Hi all,

New to the forum and my first submission. Look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks

Earthbul
    Participant

Another recording from the backseat. Getting a at875r shotgun for Christmas. Looking forward to trying it out. Anyone else use this particular mic ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Jillian Sclafani
      Participant

You absolutely cannot tell that this was recorded in a car. You sound fantastic! Keep up the awesome work!

Earthbul
    Participant

First time recording a spot in my car. Due to issues at the moment in treating my space I had to resort to extreme measures lol let me know what you think of the quality. Any and all comments welcomed.
    Ps has anyone else here resorted to recording in unexpected places ?

Attachments:
      alayne_chappell
      Participant

Haha, I have definitely recorded in my car too. Those of us with a noisy home have to get creative 🙂 I think this read sounds great. The pace is on point and the tone feels very authentic and fits the subject matter well. I’ve been really trying to achieve that conversational tone and you’re nailing it!

Emily Gauthier
    Participant

Hello again everyone!

I’ve been trying to get better at slowing down on the customer name, so let me know if I was able to do that (especially with crayola!). Thank you for all the feedback you’ve given so far!

Attachments:
      Jillian Sclafani
      Participant

Based off these recordings, I would buy from either company lol! Crayola is clearly pronounced and slow enough that it hits the beat. Awesome job!

Kumpenny
      Participant

Yes, the brand name is clearly audible.

ierxyzz
    Participant

Hi all, this is a commercial copy read for Trendi.com. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attachments:
      AanTourism
      Participant

Your audio quality is excellent, and your confidence in the read is commendable. I suggest incorporating more smiles, especially from the line “great style…” to infuse enthusiasm throughout the wrap-up. Consider channeling a situation or thought that brings you joy for a more upbeat tone. I appreciate the natural and down-to-earth delivery, avoiding any forced elements.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by AanTourism.
      • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by AanTourism.
      Grace17
      Participant

Your audio quality seems really good, and you have great confidence in the read. I advice smiling more from the line “great style,…” It’ll be good to see more enthusiasm from that line onward as wrap up the read. Perhaps think about a situation or thing that makes you very happy. I also like that you don’t push. The read is very casual and down-to-earth which is nice.

Grace17
    Participant

I would love technique feedback on this. Thank you!

Attachments:
      Emily Gauthier
      Participant

Hi Grace!

I’m not sure if my feedback is technique-related, but I hope this helps! I’m not sure if you edited your audio but the sentences come one after another a little too fast so it sounds like one big sentence. I would also try to envision the food or something that makes your mouth water as you’re talking about the ingredients, as right now there’s not much variation so it sounds tonally samey.

Nice work though!

mikemcgann
    Participant

Hello, everyone.

Here are two commercial PSAs for feedback.

Thanks.

Attachments:
      Grace17
      Participant

wow, you have a really nice resonant voice. It seems to me like you have experience doing announcer types of reads. The announcer voice is great when it’s called for. Regarding the “I am anxiety,” i advice not doing the announcer voice, and allowing your voice to show the range of emotions depicted in the script. You should also try to make the two characters sound different, when they sound the same I think it takes the audience out of the “suspension of disbelief” making them very aware that this is a commercial. Doing something, like changing your pitch, tone or pace allows the listener to be immersed in the very interesting story you’re telling. I belief the narrator who says the website and phone number at the end should also have a distinct difference in their voice to distinguish them from the characters. It may be helpful to also think about “why” you’re saying each line, so you can better connect with it’s significance and identify an appropriate emotion to show.

For the cancer society read, though you have a great sounding voice and the pacing seems good to me, it would be nice to have more emotion in your read so you sound more like a real person who actually cares about what you’re saying rather than a more or less indifferent narrator. I advice visualizing a person or situation that will elicit empathy for the very deep, personal problems you speak about in your two reads. For example, visualizing someone you care deeply about suffering from anxiety or some ailment, or a situation in which you’re informing someone of an issue you care about regardless of what that is.

Stephen Winburn
    Participant

Hello again friends!

We’re narrowing down scripts for my reel and this is one I like so I’ve provided 3 reads. I was playing with different tones for each read so as a general note choosing which of the 3 you prefer is helpful! For more specific notes i was asked to focus on being conversational, having a specific audience in mind, and avoiding micro pauses: any specific notes on those 3 things would also be much appreciated!

I apologize in advance for the shoddy microphone!
    -Steph

Attachments:
      Declan Waters
      Participant

Hi Steph – nice reads! Some notes:
      1. I like the tone of your first take the best – it’s the most casual and laid back ie conversational, in my mind.
      2. I like the speed of #2, and the passion of #3, but I think overall you achieve conversational tone, audience specification, and lack of micro pauses best in #1.
      3. To nitpick, there is a micropause before the word “happier” in #1 that disrupts the flow a little bit, I think.
      4. (Referring to #1) Your diction overall is great, though I noticed the word “and” (something I struggle with, so I notice it in particular in other people’s reads) sounds like “an” without the D at the end of the word to round it out.

I hope this helps!
      Dec

Declan Waters
    Participant

Hello!

I am starting up my VO business, and would love feedback, including technical. How’s my sound, anything to improve that you notice? I want to make sure my studio space is up to par. Feel free to be blunt/direct (but helpful), please. Thanks!

Attachments:
      Angela Doyle
      Participant

DAFC–it felt like you weren’t into it nearly as much as for Retail Explainer. I liked the energy in the latter. I felt like you connected more with the copy in DAFC as you went along, but the first couple of lines didn’t grab me very much.

I like your voice.

Earthbul
      Participant

The first read could have been read with a little more smile. I also felt the second read was just a little too monotone. I’m just nitpicking though. The reads are really solid overall. Your voice and diction are awesome and your recording quality is aces.

Angela Doyle
    Participant

Hi, everyone! Me again preparing for my next narration coaching session. I’d love to hear feedback on these 2 spots please! Does it flow or is it choppy? Is it engaging? Thank you so much.

Attachments:
      Earthbul
      Participant

I like your sound Angela. I just felt the flow was off. Not enough ups and downs. Not enough inflection. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the read overall I just felt it was a little disjointed or stiff.

TIm Sullivan
      Participant

Good reads!

For BMS, I know it’s a more serious topic, but it felt slow. Some advice I’ve received is to smile when reading (it makes a difference) and mark where you plan to take a breath. There were some unneeded pauses (between “bodies” and “and” in the first sentence, for example). Planning your breaths will help with that.

Motorcycle had a better pace – it sounded like you were enjoying the topic. One word that was a little rushed was “experience.” Take your time on long words.

You have a very engaging tone.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.