Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Logan DFD
    Participant

I’d appreciate some feedback on my natural delivery. Which read sounds more natural? Which one fits best?

Balducci’s

Can your food market pass a simple taste test?
    At Balducci’s, we put taste first.
    This spring, we’re loading up our stores with fresh and chef-crafted foods that are simply bursting with flavor.
    Like majestic orange wild king salmon, flown in daily.
    And specialties like champagne ham, slow-smoked over hickory chips and glazed with pineapple juice and brown sugar.
    Now there’s a store that puts taste first.
    Balducci’s.
    The food lover’s market.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      raven808
      Participant

I liked the third one as far as it sounding natural! Great job making 3 different takes!

slemay
      Participant

Hi Logan I liked the first one best. I am not an expert but thought that sounded more natural. Only feedback is maybe less pronunciation on the word taste. Nice job!

annellakaine
    Participant

Hi there! Working on my second homework assignment for Narration with a focus on toning down my natural tendency to theatricalize and instead deliver conversational reads. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments:
      slemay
      Participant

Maybe try to go a bit slower and or softer to give your audience the feeling you really care. But your voice sounds nice!

H
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Attached are two homework script reads I’m working on to improve my technique. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Areas I’m trying to improve is tone, pitch, and energy from the reading. Thanks in advance to all!

Attachments:
      slemay
      Participant

I liked the Bowflex and thought your energy was good. I liked the variation you used in the last half of the read when you were explaining instructions. You mixed it up a bit and that felt more natural. Nice job!

Cheechman
      Participant

Sounds very echoic, like you’re in a can
      Sounds like it’s kind of fake.

jmacdotorg
    Participant

Hello, friends. Time for me to post my second Edge homework assignment. In this dive into the narration script library, I appear to have found a push-back recording from an American Airlines flight circa 1998, and then something from the Neil deGrasse Tyson version of “Cosmos”, if I’m not mistaken. Thank you very much for listening, and for any honest critique offered in reply!

Attachments:
      raven808
      Participant

The airlines one is great! Your voice is great for announcements… I think you would be great for the voice over the speakers in theater performances.. the intermission/cell phone/take your seat etc announcements.. or the ones between the Grammys/academy awards. The pause between”directly in front of you” and “in your seat back pocket” could be shortened slightly but otherwise, it’s very clear and well paced!

H
      Participant

Really nice reads on both. I liked that your words were clear in both. I would suggest trying a different tone for the American Airlines read from the Cosmos-1 one. The tone you used for the Cosmos-1 sounded really good and I think the American Airlines read gives you more room to raise the energy and change the tone a bit. You can certainly have more fun with the tone/pitch in the American Airlines one. Lastly for both, I think you could pick up the speed of the read a little. Otherwise, very nice!

madtrammell
    Participant

Hello everyone, I have another attempt at narration practice for my upcoming demo record. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, have a great weekend!

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

To many ups and downs. There are many different ways to bring attention to a customer.

Needs to be more conversational

ikrani
    Participant

My latest and possibly last round of coach homework. It was only now that I realized I’d spent the last 3 months recording next to a ticking clock. I just didn’t notice until I moved my microphone back about 5 inches and caught some of the ticking in my reads. By then, it was too late: I had everything recorded and the levels all adjusted.

So, if I missed any rogue ticking noises, my apologies.

Attachments:
    Silver Wit
    Participant

Here’s my recordings for my 3rd assignment. Any tips and advice are appreciated. (part 3)

Attachments:
      ikrani
      Participant

Just took a gander at your ALA read. While your pitch range was kept tight, I think you could’ve stretched it a little more while still keeping a serious tone. You always want to keep your potential audience engaged. Also, there’s a couple spots where your mic caught your intake of breath.

For comparison, I also listened to your Arby’s read. Perhaps it’s because my initial acting “training” came from mimicking Tim Curry’s performances, but I think you really should work on getting comfortable with a broader pitch range when you record. There’s only a subtle difference in overall tone between the two, which may be what you were going for, but I would think a more obvious difference between commercials would demonstrate a better range of usefulness to a potential client.

Silver Wit
    Participant

Here’s my recordings for my 3rd assignment. Any tips and advice are appreciated. (part 2)

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Needs more emotion, more authentic.

Also the sound needs alot of work, as in microphone or sound proofing.

Silver Wit
    Participant

Here’s my recordings for my 3rd assignment. Any tips and advice are appreciated.

Attachments:
    raven808
    Participant

Practicing changing emotions! Thank you for the feedback 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.