Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Nikka Kowidge
    Participant

Hi voiceover friends! I would love any feedback excluding production value as my home studio is not yet up and running, on this record. I’m specifically working on conversational tone and illuminating glottal stops. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      RCampos
      Participant

Hi Nikka,
      I think you nailed the conversational tone on JIF. Very nice! A few small critiques:
      1. At the very top, I think you rushed “My kids” just a touch, so that it gets buried. I think those words could use a little more emphasis.
      2. “the” in the three leading brands gets muffled. This might get taken care of with a more sophisticated audio setup, but I do hear you drop your tone on that word, and the first time I listened I wasn’t sure it was a “the”.
      3. At the end, JIF Peanut Butter – maybe try going up in intonation rather than down. After your great read, the VO seems to peter out.
      Those are all small tweaks. Overall your read sounds very natural and conversational.
      I would welcome your feedback on my Costa Rica VO, posted 10-27 at 7:57 EST. Thank you!

Hazaro
    Participant

And last one before a session on attitude focus. Realize the sound got a bit muffled in the second one, construction all of a sudden was happening and bummed that I couldn’t rehearse for a bit longer.

Attachments:
      ShellyMadison
      Participant

Can definitely hear the difference between these two. Well done 🙂

Hazaro
    Participant

Still working on focusing on my attitude in my reads. Hope they’re coming through clearly.

Attachments:
      Silver Wit
      Participant

Very nice difference between both reads. Subtle, but I could hear the difference.

phillipjlee
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am practicing on my narration voiceover for homework. I would greatly like feedback. Recorded on phone, please excuse the low quality.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by phillipjlee.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by phillipjlee. Reason: Uploads n edit
    Attachments:
      Tates-VO
      Participant

Very nice vocals and the pace is nice and slow good job

ShellyMadison
      Participant

Great pace and you have a lovely, full tone to your voice. I recommend marking up a script to give emphasis to important phrases and really honing in on an audience in your mind. You vary your pitch, but otherwise each word seems to have the same weight so it is sounding a bit robotic.

Unity
    Participant

Hi. The attached file was downloaded as a homework assignment. Feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

Hi Unity,
      I think your voice and delivery bring a gravitas and seriousness – which are both essential to this issue. I just have a couple of small notes:
      1. At the very beginning, I don’t hear the “s” in “As a parent…”
      2. I think you could give more emphasis to “Autism Speaks” and the “Ad Council” at the end, since presumably they’re paying for this ad and want to be clearly identified.
      But other than that, nice conversational tone and effective delivery.
      If you have a moment, I would greatly appreciate a comment on my Costa Rica VO, posted 10-27 at 7:57pm. I also have a Cool Jazz VO – posted on 10-25. Thank you!

RCampos
    Participant

Hi Everybody!
    I would really appreciate your feedback on this read. I’m working on a conversational read while still honoring the “smooth coolness” of a jazz radio station.

Attachments:
      cbehrens
      Participant

I think your overall read aligns with a conversational feeling; I appreciate your inflection on the word “grooviest”! One thing just to keep in mind may be to play with saying repetitive words like “cool” in different ways, offering more variation. Great job!

Silver Wit
      Participant

You’ve certainly got the voice for “cool jazz.” Reminds me of the hosts of some jazz stations in New York.

RCampos
        Participant

Thanks very much for the feedback!
        All the best,
        R

Tates-VO
      Participant

It sounds very cool nice tone in the voice.

Declan Waters
      Participant

I think your voice and the tone you chose matches the script very well. One critique – It sounds to me as if you end most sentences the same way. Shooting for differentiation particularly at the end of your sentences would help to pace the read and keep listeners engaged. I hope you find this helpful

RCampos
        Participant

Thanks very much for your note about how I end sentences. I’ll pay more attention to that. All the best!

Silver Wit
    Participant

Some audio for my homework. experimenting with different attitudes. Let me know how they sound. (part 4)

Attachments:
      Declan Waters
      Participant

I really like how well you differentiate between the two attitudes that you’re going for. I think blending the two moods to some extent would make for a very convincing read. At first defeated by the pain, but then convicted and confident about the solution that Excedrin provides. Well done

RCampos
      Participant

Hi Silver Wit,
      I like what you’re doing in version 2, but overall, I prefer version 1 because it’s cleaner and clearer. Version 2 gives me a sense that you’re acting out the headache, and this thought distracts me a bit from your words. I like how you vary the intonation on: throbbing, tension and pain – but I think a more upbeat ending might help. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on my Cool-Jazz read above. Thank you!

Silver Wit
    Participant

Some audio for my homework. experimenting with different attitudes. Let me know how they sound. (part 3)

Attachments:
    Silver Wit
    Participant

Some audio for my homework. experimenting with different attitudes. Let me know how they sound. (part 2)

Attachments:
    Silver Wit
    Participant

Some audio for my homework. experimenting with different attitudes. Let me know how they sound.

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.