Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Aliya
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m hoping to sound relatable and genuine in this Beethoven Narration. I would love your feedback.
    Feel free to comment on sound quality or anything else!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Lyle Blaker
      Participant

Love it. I could hear this in a documentary. Very nice to listen to and easy to follow. Your cadence has a nice staccato rhythm without being choppy but I wonder what would happen if you would smooth out a few of the sentences to connect phrases/thoughts. which would add a nice contrast to your natural rhythm. Really nice overall!

becksflatt
    Participant

Hi everybody. I’m practicing for my narration demo and would love some feedback on this one. How’s the pace / is it conversational / any technical issues? Thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by becksflatt. Reason: grammatical error
    Attachments:
      Lyle Blaker
      Participant

Really nice! You have easy to listen to tone. I agree with Jadethevo as well. I think you could achieve more of the conversational tone you are looking for just by picking up the pace of the read a little, and/or getting rid of intra-sentence micro pauses (example is the list at the top of the script). I’m super cognizant of this because of my own coaching sessions. Keep up the great work!

jadethevo
      Participant

This was a very clean read and it does sound conversational. I would love to hear it paced just slightly faster, and I encourage you to lean more into the conversation.

Declan Waters
    Participant

Good Evening All,

A couple practice scripts. Would appreciate any feedback!

Attachments:
      jadethevo
      Participant

Loved Six Flags! You did a great job acting, and making distinctions between the different “no”s. I think for Ancient Mysteries, you needed just a little bit more of a deeper inhale before you started, it sounded like you were losing your breath a bit with each word. Still pretty good, though.

Declan Waters
        Participant

Tremendously valuable, thanks so much!

billmull
    Participant

Hello,

I would appreciate any feedback as to how conversational I sound. I am not looking for feedback regarding recording quality.

The script is from Edge Studio’s script library.

Thanks,

Attachments:
      Grace17
      Participant

Your voice sounds really clear with great enunciation. I think you’re getting there with the conversational aspect. I don’t quite feel as an audience member that you’re talking to me. It still has a manufactured sort of robotic tone to it. I advice choosing someone you have a relationship with in real life and REALLY talking to them while still enunciating words well like you do. Practice makes it easier. Forget that you’re recording or putting on a performance and focus on your intent in speaking to your imagined person.

Hazaro
    Participant

More practice in varying commercial reads. Any feedback welcome.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Hazaro.
    Attachments:
      Grace17
      Participant

You have a very nice clear voice, with great enunciation. However, the tones used for these two reads don’t match or make sense with the message so the attitude you gave seemed disconnected from the message to me. So I would say try to integrate the attitude with the words or message, so it’s believable that these are your words.

Jefftuttle
    Participant

Hi, Everyone! I’m submitting a couple of practice reads for a homework assignment I’m working on. I’d definitely appreciate feedback. Thanks

Attachments:
      becksflatt
      Participant

nice! both of these really show off your warm inviting tone

billmull
      Participant

I like the ACS read very much. The only thing that struck me was the way you read the first sentence, i.e. “It’s tough to quit smoking.” You read it in a kind of matter of fact way, almost too matter of fact. I suspect that someone who has struggled with quitting smoking would say this with more conviction. Otherwise, awesome read!

As far as “Jazz-Radio” goes, it’s been a while since I’ve listened to commercial radio, but the beginning of this sounded much too slow and low key. I think more excitement would work better especially towards the beginning. But your deep voice certainly sounds like it has excellent potential for radio imaging.

Pamela B
      Participant

Really liked the jazz radio read, sounded like you were having fun with it.

SamWaxmanVoice
    Participant

Hi all. Attaching some narration homework below, and would love anyone’s thoughts. Appreciate it!

Attachments:
      Hazaro
      Participant

Great pacing, tone, and clarity! I love the expression you bring to this. With your voice having such a natural gravitas quality, feel like you could do even less and the intonations would still be there. You got more lighthearted as it went through which was fun.

jadethevo
    Participant

(Trying this again, my files didn’t upload properly and I can’t edit my post)

Hello, fellow VO folks!

I’m looking for feedback on these reads, nothing technical though.

Take 1 & 2 I tried to vary the intonation and pacing, Take 3 was an attempt to sound more conversational. Take 4 was me winging it, and trying to match my voice to what I imagined the visuals might convey.

Thanks in advance for the constructive feedback!

Attachments:
      Lyle Blaker
      Participant

Great work. I really like take 1. Your personality came out nicely and has energy but not pushed. For my money, I’d love to hear the energy of the first line a little more throughout the rest of the commercial, that makes sense. Well done!

Hazaro
      Participant

Thought you did a great job with these! Heard the difference with each and they all sounded organic.

jadethevo
    Participant

Hello, fellow VO folks!

I’m looking for feedback on these reads, nothing technical though.

Take 1 & 2 I tried to vary the intonation and pacing, Take 3 was an attempt to sound more conversational. Take 4 was me winging it, and trying to match my voice to what I imagined the visuals might convey.

Thanks in advance for the constructive feedback!

Grace17
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I’m practicing presenting different attitudes. I’ll appreciate feedback on the believability and any other technique tips. I was going for motivated without too much excitement in the last audio but it doesn’t seem to me like it came off as very motivated. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

note: In this script, there are actions that are meant to be taken in between the phrases so that’s why it probably sounds a bit disjointed. Like I’m supposed to interact with a cashier using my coins checkout app, then leave the coffee with the good news.

Attachments:
      billmull
      Participant

Hi,

Nice job!

You sound believably excited across all three reads, but I’m not sure I was picking up so much on differences in attitude. The excitement in the “awkward” version may have been slightly muted but still excited.

The excitement in your voice comes across as motivated across all three reads not only the “motivated” version.

Just my thoughts.

Grace17
        Participant

Thank you, I appreciate your insight:)

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.