Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Grace17
    Participant

Hi,
    There may not be much of a difference between these takes, but I was speaking to different people in each take. Which do you like better and why? What’s good, and what could be improved? I really appreciate your time giving feedback, thank you very much.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Grace17
      Participant

Hi,
      I just decided to add this one too. It sounds nice and professional I believe, but I thought it was too quiet and sleep-inducing, but let me know what you think.

Attachments:
        DillonP
        Participant

It sounded clear the last time, and on the fourth one you had your volume under control. But there where certain words that you were over enunciating such as “long”. other then that I think it was a good take just need to work on your enunciations and it can be good. Just keep up the good work.

RCampos
        Participant

Hi Grace,
        I like #2 best. I think it’s the most natural and most friendly. In this one you have an upward inflection on name, which sounds friendly. You also put a little bit of “concern” into “call you back as soon as we can,” which makes it sound like you really will make the effort to call ASAP.
        Other minor notes: on the word “long” – it sounds like you hang on the “g” a bit longer than usual. Maybe this is an effort to end the word clearly, but I don’t think you need as much emphasis.
        And finally, when you say “hold,” – I don’t hear the “l” very well. Very nice job all around, though.
        If you have a moment, I would greatly appreciate your feedback on my “Cosmos” VO – just posted at about 9:05pm Eastern time. Thanks!

mattjfogarty
        Participant

I think they all sound nice and professional. I like the pacing on 3 and 4 a little more. Just a little bit slower, especially between “long wait” and “if you prefer”. Seemed just the slightest bit rushed there in 1 and 2 but open and natural on 3 and 4. Only technical thing I heard that caught my attention was an inhalation at the end of #3 just after all the dialogue had ended. I would edit that out since it doesn’t lead into anything. Otherwise sounds very nice

Grace17
    Participant

Hi,
    I would love feedback on what’s great, could be improved, or better about either of these takes. Really appreciate your time! Thank you!

Attachments:
      Dexterius
      Participant

I think that both of your reads are very well done! It sounds very professional, on an even keel, but also interesting enough to keep from falling asleep if that’s not your cup of tea. Hope this helps!!!

Bil-Bo
    Participant

Character.

Attachments:
      Grace17
      Participant

Wow this was so good!! I loved it! Your voice and your accent fit great! Perhaps try it with more personality and range in your tone.

Mike_Control
    Participant

Hey friends!

I’m just getting started with my lessons, so this is my first time posting and asking for feedback. I’m trying to work on being more conversational in my takes, so any advice would be great!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Mike_Control.
    Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

Hi Mike,
      Freshii
      Fun read on this. I think you heat your stride on “So, what’s in your custom bowl?” That’s when I hear you being more playful with it. It might help to add that same attitude to the beginning of the VO. The middle sounds great. At the end, you have nice energy on “Eat, Energize” but I think you could use a touch more energy. When I wrote those notes, I had not heard version 2 of Freshii. I think that version improved on the stuff I mentioned above – nice job!

Denali’s is an unusual word and I think you need to hit it a little harder and slow it down a touch to make sure people hear it clearly. Same goes for “view moose up close” and “marvel at Glacier Bay.” These are the candies in the candy store, so I think you can sell them a bit more. I like the way you showcase Holland America and I start to feel the glamour of the trip as you talk about the view from the rail cars. There are spots where I think your read is right on – hitting just the right casual tone, and then other spots where you get more formal. Very nice ending on: The difference is Holland America.

If you have a moment, I would much appreciate your feedback on my VO – Cosmos. Uploaded today, 11-11-22, a little after 9pm Eastern. Thank you!
      RCampos

becksflatt
    Participant

Hi again. I’m back with a quicker read of the Greek vacation narration bit I posted the other day. Curious if this feels like a good middle ground as far as pace goes. I tend to read on the faster side and sometimes overcorrect in the opposite direction. I’ve added a few others I’m working on for my demo. I’m using Izotope De-esser and De-click very lightly on all of these which are new to my setup. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Attachments:
      Grace17
      Participant

For App notification, the read is a nice pace. I would recommend more flow between your words while maintaining the great enunciation you already have.

WorkLife is also a nice pace and great read. Your attitude and tone remain the same throughout and that attitude and tone is great for setting up the “problem” in the copy but there’s a change in the message and it doesn’t sound like your tone and attitude changed enough with it. In my opinion, from “Let’s focus on some of the daily choices you can make.” a more upbeat, tone would match the solutions you’re presenting now.

The pace is nice in climate change and Greece 2.0. I recommend letting more of your personality out to improve the believability of the reads, especially when it comes to the seriousness of climate change, without pushing of course. Just a little thing, the line “Greece is actually very affordable if you know where to go” could benefit from sounding more like you’re telling me a secret, or like you’re about to reveal something big. You’re on your way to making a great demo though!

mattjfogarty
        Participant

I agree with Grace that you are well on your way to a great demo. I too would like to hear a little more of you…a little more variability and personality. You have such a nice sound. It sometimes felt like you weren’t letting enough of it out…give us more goodness :). I always notice technical a lot. Just how my ears are. I noticed a heavy rumble or hum in your noise floor. And in some places you have edited it so the difference between the rumble and the edited quieter spots is really noticeable. I played around in audition and izotope with a few different things. Adobe Auditions plain denoise plugin (not the denoise process) seemed to handle it best. I will upload on of the files after briefly doing that so you can here the diff. I wonder if you have either your computer near where you are recording, or a AC or similar on? Sounded like the computer fan perhaps.

Attachments:
    curtmartin13
    Participant

Hi guys,
    Attaching some narration samples here, and welcome any feedback you may be willing to provide. I’ve been working on pacing and enunciation (wanting to enunciate without overdoing it). I’m pending some new equipment, so I’m aware that the technical quality is a bit wanting.
    Thanks very much!
    –Curt

Attachments:
      jadethevo
      Participant

Hi there,

I could only get the Cosmos recording to play. This was very clear and well-paced.

DillonP
    Participant

Hello everyone it has been sometime since I had posted anything for feedback on how I am doing regarding my training and improving as a voice actor. I had just submitted new recordings. the first is an commercial witch I had done in the past, and posted on the forum, but is new and improved, and also an narration piece. Please give your feedback and let me know if I am starting to get a bit rusty in my speech, spelling and enunciation skills are starting to dwindle a bit. I will continue to keep on improving and posting new Narration and Commercial too work toward my goal as a voice actor and wish the best for everyone else as well.

Attachments:
    Aliya
    Participant

Hey again, I went for a Friendly and Knowledgeable narration for this Dr. Seuss audio tour.
    Feel free to leave feedback on anything.
    Would you take this tour?

Attachments:
      Grace17
      Participant

You sound friendly and knowledgeable, professional as well. I really like how pleasant and resonant your voice is. Your read is really good! It’s hard to give feedback on it because there’s nothing really “wrong” with it. It sounds like a tour that would be in a museum. I sensed some genuine emotion in the read, but I think it would benefit from displaying more of that genuine emotion and personality. That would really make it “pop” above the competition in an audition I think. Because this narration is a little long (even though it’s just 1 minute, small attention span I guess), I think it’s very important to keep the listener’s attention. It seemed like you were reading a bit predictably, and by sounding more like a machine in some parts, my mind stopped paying as much attention. I would advise inviting more range in tone and genuine emotion to keep the listener’s attention. But regardless, this was a great read!

Grace17
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Would appreciate feedback on this. Thanks!

Attachments:
      Aliya
      Participant

Nice! There was a clear difference between all of you takes! Especially from the compassionate to the happy. Compassionate read sounded really sincere and caring! I wonder how they would sound if you slowed your pace a bit in the more confident reads. You sound confident but my brain had a hard time keeping up with the info you were saying. Great reads!

Grace17
        Participant

Thank you Aliya. I really appreciate your feedback. A slower pace is a great suggestion.:)

Madhatr673110
    Participant

More Commercial homework. As always, I appreciate the feedback.

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.