Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    dejapowell
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Happy New Year! This is my first time participating in the forum, and I am really excited to get started. I have uploaded two recordings, and would love some feedback. I recorded them on my phone, so please keep the feedback centered around the content and not the quality 🙂

I am currently working on my speed and diction, here are a couple of questions I would appreciate you answering:

-How is my pace?
    -Can you understand me clearly?
    -How is my diction?
    -Does my read sound conversational?

Thank you so much for your time! I look forward to your feedback.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      billmull
      Participant

Hello,

I give you high marks on pace, diction, and conversational style for both reads.

For recording2 I suggest that when you get to the punchline to go a bit more over the top to accentuate the joke (because it’s a good one).

I understand that you recorded these on your phone, but the muffled quality of the sound does make it hard to clearly hear your voice and evaluate your speaking as much as would be ideal. So if there is a way that in the future you could find another way to record your speaking that may be a good idea.

Earthbul
      Participant

Hi,
      I felt the pacing was a little more fluid on the first read. The second read not so much. I felt your diction was fine on both although the audio felt muffled. I also felt that the first read sounded more conversational. I enjoy the sound of your voice.

AlexS
    Participant

Hello VO Colleagues, and Belated HNY to you! May much success (and good health) characterize your ’23. Stylistic and Technical feedback welcome on this “Nike No Limit” recording. No direction given–just a link to a video with a staccato of athletic visuals echoing the copy. Your typical, iconic Nike intensity and aspiration. Thank you!

Attachments:
      swester
      Participant

Hi ALex, There are a lot of short phrases and action words in this copy. I thought you did a good job of varying pitch while going through them. About 5 seconds in, I think you say ‘through sunrise’ or ‘through some highs’, so you might want to work on that piece, but otherwise, it was pretty good. Keep it up!

Debbie
    Participant

I’m working on being more conversational for narration and tutorials. No technical notes please, but any other feedback is appreciated!

Attachments:
      dejapowell
      Participant

Hi Debbie, I am currently working on being more converational as well. One thing that my coach is helping me with is speed. I think that your pace is a little quick, slowing down a bit may help a bit.

Good luck!

Earthbul
    Participant

Re-Posting Planet Earth’s “Grasslands” due to faulty editing.
    Don’t drink and edit folks LOL

Attachments:
      AlexS
      Participant

Hi, Earthbul. Man, your timbre is enviable for this type of copy. I think if you address just a couple of issues, I’m ready to tune into this nature special: (1) I hear several clicks and some juiciness in your narration–edit these out for smoothness or try another take with these mouth-noises in mind; and (2) I believe if you slow your pace down a bit to allow me to absorb the visuals of your narration (and images that would be on screen) that would make your good read greater. Well done! Best, Alex

Earthbul
        Participant

I fully agree on the mouth noise. Hoped the music would distract from it in earlier versions lol I also feel the pauses should be longer in spots. I enjoy narration but I’m more comfortable with an upbeat commercial read. As for audio, I’m always tinkering with audacity settings to find the sweet spot. Thanks again for your take on it. I appreciate it.

Nikka Kowidge
    Participant

Hello fellow, VO actors! I’m looking for feedback on the following practice read. I’m looking to sound conversational and reduce my glottal stops. Thoughts? Any and all feedback minus the technical appreciated! Thank you all so much.

Attachments:
      weiss-richmond
      Participant

Hi Nikka, I really appreciate the energy you’re bringing to this read and can tell you connect with the material. I think picturing a particular person and really speaking to them might help you with being conversational. With regard to glottal stops, one trick I learned a long time ago in a theatre context is to put a teeny ‘h’ before the vowel, just to get your air moving. Full disclosure: I’m a newbie to the world of VO and I have no idea whether the pros would agree with me — that might be something that microphones would too easily catch. But, could be worth a try! -Hondo

Nikka Kowidge
        Participant

Thank you so much for this feedback! I really appreciate it.

Earthbul
    Participant

Planet Earth “Grasslands”

Attachments:
    SuperLuke
    Participant

Hello,
    Feedback about this commercial I am practicing for would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Luke

Copy:
    Which iPhone is right for you? Welcome the ultimate iPhone 14. From $999, a total powerhouse. From $799, as amazing as ever. From $599, serious value. iPhone 14. Love the power. Love the price.

Attachments:
      Earthbul
      Participant

Great breath control. I felt that after the strong opening line that the second line should have had a more subdued delivery.
      Overall I thought the pacing and energy was spot on. Nice job.

Earthbul
    Participant

Any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks !

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

When you say, “There are guys who will smirk at you”, at the beginning of the copy, I think if you put more emphasis and power into the word “There are guys”, the rest of your recording will flow smoothly. Think about how the listener of this commercial will feel, hearing the build-up and the importance of what you have to say in this recording. Everything else flowed just fine =)

Earthbul
        Participant

I totally hear what your saying. And saying it again out loud really reinforces it. Thanks for the feedback, Luke !!

RGK3
    Participant

Hi all:

I’d appreciate any feedback on these two reads, particularly on pacing and whether they sound conversational. Am I hitting the right money words?

Thanks!

Attachments:
      dejapowell
      Participant

In my opinion both recordings were very conversational, and your diction was very good. The only suggestion I would make is to work on your speed just a bit. Overall, very good!

BB123
    Participant

Hello All,

Looking for feedback on these two for my homework assignment. Two different styles. Any feedback would be appreciated

Thank you

Attachments:
      swester
      Participant

Hi – I like how varied your voice is with each piece. I like how you read the first line in the Dunkin spot. In the Pimco copy, I would work on hitting the word ‘bond’ a little harder to ensure it is coming across, as that is what the spot is about. Good Job!

BB123
        Participant

I appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.