Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    montereichert
    Participant

Hello all. I just wanted to see what you think of my recoding below. I was in response to an audition request.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Earthbul
      Participant

It sounded pretty stilted to me. The emphasis on certain words felt a little off.

montereichert
        Participant

Thank you so much for your feedback. Yes. I can see that now. I was trying for a over confident and some what arrogant tone, as this was suppose to come from a corporate president. But I lost the natural sounding part. I’ll fix that. Thanks again!

RCampos
    Participant

Hi Voice Over Artists,
    I would much appreciate your feedback on this VO. I don’t have a pro setup, so don’t need any technical feedback. I’m mainly working on a conversational delivery, working on a consistent tone while still varying the pitch. I welcome your thoughts.

Attachments:
      Jaljr
      Participant

Hey…
      Thanks for the feedback on my reads the other day.
      This AIG read was good and conversational. I agree with the earthbul that all of your phrasing seemed to tend upward. Some variation by letting some of the phrasing “roll off” might help the read

RCampos
        Participant

Thanks very much for listening! I’ll work on the phrasing as you suggest. Not exactly what you mean by “roll off” though…
        All the best,
        Robert

Earthbul
      Participant

Everything seemed to end on an upswing. I didn’t hear much inflection throughout the read.
      Sounded to positive considering you’re talking about folks going though some really tough times.

RCampos
        Participant

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. You make a good point about ending on an upswing. I’ll work on that – and on adding more inflection. Also good to more carefully reflect the “tough times.” Very helpful feedback and I really appreciate it.

annarobbins
    Participant

Hi everyone! I would appreciate some feedback on my read of this children’s education narration script! My home studio is not fully set up yet so the audio isn’t the best. I’m so sorry about that! Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
      weiss-richmond
      Participant

Hi Anna, I agree with Robert overall. Two details I noticed: it feels like it would be possible to connect the thought of “dogs aren’t catching these cats” to the previous sentence a bit more. And, with regard to the copy, the cheetah section begins with a sentence, but the snow leopard section begins with you giving the title ‘snow leopard’ beforehand. I wonder if you could give us the transition into a new cat *on* the words “snow leopards” at the start of their section, without the title?

RCampos
      Participant

Hi Anna, Your read is lively, entertaining, and has lots of variation and expression. My only critique is that at times I feel like you’re “punching” more than you might need to – like you’re addressing a classroom rather than an individual. Is this how you would say it to a six-year-old kid who’s sitting next to you on the couch? The word “cars” stands out for me as having a lot of emphasis. But overall, I think your voice and style fit this genre very nicely. Great job. If you have a moment, I would much appreciate your thoughts on a VO I just uploaded, called AIG. Thanks!
      Robert

DillonP
    Participant

I have gotten two new reads done, an new narration and an old commercial that I did a long time ago. Please give me some feedback and let me know if there’s anything I can do to improve my reads.

Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

Hi Dillon,
      You have quite a range, as evidenced by these two very different reads. I like the air of mystery you create in the History VO. You draw us in and make us curious about this underwater wreck. Your hushed tone, while intriguing, sometimes makes picking out some words a bit challenging: “the” bleeds into “German sea” so that I wasn’t sure at first if you said “a German sea” or “the German sea.” Other words that are a little tricky: “rumors,” and “is intrigued.” Perhaps if you brought back a little bit more energy these words will pop out more. You have a fun read with lots of energy in Crayola Color Markers. My only critique on that one is on a couple of words: the “n” in “only” is a little hard to hear, and in the word “creativity” I don’t hear the differentiation between the “e” and the “a.” Nice work. I enjoyed listening to your voice overs. If you have a moment, I would much appreciate your thoughts on a VO I just uploaded, called AIG. Thanks!

Jaljr
    Participant

Hey, folks –

Here are a couple of lightly edited commercial reads for an upcoming coaching session. I welcome your comments and feedback.

JAL

Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

Jack Daniels – love this read – sounds like the real deal! Your tone and style fit the VO so well. You’ve got me hooked with the feel of Lynchburg and the feel of the streets. Just a suggestion, wondering if you could use a very slight pauses after “just as he did” and “don’t ever plan to stop” – something to mimic the leisurely feel of the streets. Same goes for the last few words: “smooth, sippin, Tennessee whiskey.” I feel like these could slow down a tiny tiny bit, to savor the brew.

First State – your mature voice delivers on trust and security, something banks desperately need today! My only critique is that you have a little warble in your voice on the words “everyone” and “rely.” While that folksiness works very well for Jack Daniels, I don’t think you need it for the bank VO.
      Great stuff all around. I think both these companies would want to have you do their Vo’s. Best of luck! If you have a moment, I would much appreciate your thoughts on a VO I just uploaded, called AIG. Thanks!

billmull
    Participant

I would love any feedback.

I’m aware that I have some breathing sounds in some of the pauses but I chose to leave those in.

Thanks

Attachments:
      Earthbul
      Participant

I’m hearing alot of sibilance in this. I like the sound of your voice. But this not the copy to showcase it. You sound detached from the basketball lines if that makes sense. Any copy I read I always try to find some attachment to it. To relate it to my own personal experience. I’d love to hear some other copy that really resonates with you.

billmull
        Participant

Thanks for the response.

Your feedback is very perceptive. Truth be told, I did not feel very good copy connection to the script, but I decided to take a shot at it anyway to see if I could pull it off (which obviously I didn’t). A lesson which I continue to learn about VO is that you can’t fake it. We have to believe what we’re saying or the listeners will be able to tell.

You’re the second person who has told me that they hear sibilance in my reads, so I’ve gotten a hold of a de-esser which I plan to start applying to my audio recordings.

Earthbul
          Participant

Yeah, it’s difficult finding our niche. I still attempt reads that I know I’m not geared for. It’s good practice. As for the sibilance it’s a b***h lol I’ve been messing mith my settings all weekend as well as playing with the de-esser and de-clicker that I just installed on Audacity. Which daw do you use ?

Earthbul
    Participant

Took Alex S’s advice and lengthened the pauses slightly. Also cleaned up the clicks and mouth noises as much
    as Audacity allows. I also bumped up the volume of the music bed. Any comments or critiques welcomed.

Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

I like this read very much. I’ve produced quite a few television specials for Discovery and other channels, and your style, I think, fits many of those shows very well. Here are a couple of notes.
      I hear a couple of rapid shifts in your voice, almost like cracks, in the words “day” and “across.” I saw in your notes that you have been working with settings in Audacity. I’m wondering if that has boosted sibilance on these words: grass, some, months, grasslands, abundance. Having said that, you do an excellent job, and I also appreciated your feedback on my AIG VO. If you’re going to be around on the Forum I would welcome your thoughts on my future uploads. Thank you!

billmull
      Participant

I’m having trouble finding anything not to like about this read.

Not sure if you know this or not but there is a free de-clicking plug-in you can download for audacity. Search on “de-clicker plugin audacity” and you’ll find it.

Earthbul
        Participant

Thanks Bill. I did apply the de-clicker to this one. It eliminated most of them except for a couple of stubborn ones.

billmull
          Participant

I didn’t notice mouth noises or clicks on your recording.

Not to beat this into the ground, but de-clicker that comes by default with Audacity is not considered to be that great. The plugin I’m referring to is considered to be much better. If this is what you used then please ignore me.

billmull
    Participant

Happy Sunday!

Please no feedback on technical recording quality. Otherwise, I welcome any feedback.

Thank you

Attachments:
    vlwalinski
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to the Feedback Forum. I’m in the one-on-one coaching process for narration and commercials. I’m new to VO so any feedback on these two reads would be great! Thank you for your time!
    -Veronica

Attachments:
      Jaljr
      Participant

Hey, Veronica –

Welcome aboard! those were good reads, especially the Phonics . I agree that you should read that one with a big smile. You have a good voice. I look forward to hearing more.

JAL

billmull
      Participant

Hi

Very nice for your first efforts on the feedback forum! (Also, welcome to VO!)

For both reads I suggest that you make sure to smile while reading. I suggest an especially big smile for HookedOnPhonics since its related to something for children.

Technically, keep in mind that when you export an audio file as an MP3 you are getting a compressed version of the full digital recording. So you need to make sure to leave about 2 seconds of dead air at the very start and very end of the original audio file. Otherwise either the very start or the very end of the speaking will get cut off in the MP3. This is what happened at the end of AmericanAirlines.

Keep up the good work.

swester
    Participant

Good Afternoon – I’ve attached a piece I am working on for my narration reel. I would be appreciative of any type of feedback. Thanks so much.

Attachments:
      Mike_Control
      Participant

Oh my gosh I love the way you annunciate ‘hundreds!’ I was hooked on the narration, but when you get to the ‘great for humans’ bit your narration could be more conversational. As a listener, I felt like you were reading a brochure rather than talking to me about the migration.

Earthbul
        Participant

I agree with Mike. I’d love to hear this one redone with those critiques in mind. I think you’re going to hit it out of the park !

swester
        Participant

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.