Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Earthbul
    Participant

Just experimenting with mixing at the moment.
    Not sure if the music is overpowering or under.
    Thoughts ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      RCampos
      Participant

Enjoy listening to your reads!
      Just a few notes:
      The “t” in retirement is a bit lost.
      And – almost sounds like a double “d” on He’d – or is there extraneous click there?
      As for the music mix, it’s low enough as to be too distant from the VO. I think if you’re going to use music, it should be more integrated. I would raise the level. All best,
      Robert

Jaljr
      Participant

That was a good read. I had to turn it up to get the music in my ears. Certainly not overpowering. Nice job.

Earthbul
    Participant

Practice read.

Attachments:
      Artist7
      Participant

Great read! Pace is on target, flowed well… Enjoyed listening to this one!

Jaljr
      Participant

Listened through a couple of time. Hard to find anything not to like.

Earthbul
    Participant

Thoughts on recording quality ? Was also wondering if the music mix is adequate ?
    Thanks in advance

Attachments:
      ShellyMadison
      Participant

Your voice is clear and forward. Recording sounds well recorded and mastered. I think the music should be louder to sound more cohesive. Currently being lost in the background (at least on my computer speakers)

Earthbul
    Participant

Narration read. Far from perfect. Thoughts ?

Attachments:
    jnamar
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Hope you all doing great! I want feedback on this commercial read. I recorded this on my iphone so the sound quality is err. I’m working on sounding relax and with that I’m also trying not to drop syllables, or the inflections, and also want to know if I pick a good focus on the script.
    Thank you, take care everyone!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by jnamar. Reason: Is one script
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by jnamar. Reason: Is one script
    Attachments:
      Tim Kraft
      Participant

Hi – agreed, you have a very pleasant, relaxed voice…and you can hear that relaxation on the first line, then it gets fast. Almost like you want to finish it quickly.

Take a breath at the end of that first line, stay relaxed. Personally I’d pitch down the “dals” in “Sandals”. Sounds more conversational as, in natural speech, we tend pitch down at the end of phrases.

Keep at it, I think this can be a good read for your voice style!!

Earthbul
      Participant

Slowing it down a bit and putting more emphasis on certain words could really bring this up a notch.
      You have a very pleasant sound to your voice.

Nikka Kowidge
    Participant

Hello voiceover actors, here’s a commercial read I’m working on. please feel free to give any feedback besides technical. Specifically, I am still working on glottal stops as well as conversational read. Does it sound like I am talking to my friend?

Attachments:
      kburman
      Participant

Hello Nikka,

It sounded very conversational. I like the pace. Just a few tweaks as felt like there were two pauses that I would leave out. between Revlon and High and after gently protect. Those slight changes and Red heads will want the product. Nice work!

Debbie
      Participant

Hi Nikka! Great read, you have a really nice tone. There are some moments in the copy where you could be more conversational. I find that making the effort to keep smiling through the read (even when it feels super weird) helps a lot for me, so that may be something to try if you haven’t already.

jnamar
      Participant

Hi Nikka, I like your voice and delivery sounds young and lively. If you want try for a more sassy read. Usually these hair-dye commercials have some of that. This attitude might help the glottal stops. Good luck!

tmanning.tix
    Participant

Greetings all.. Posting here per my instructor. My first recording. Just getting started using the editing software as well. Feedback is very welcomed. Improvement is always possible.

Attachments:
      Bruce Kramer
      Participant

I agree with Nikka that your tone and voice quality are a good fit for this topic. And I also agree you can slow down. In particular, when the script discusses some of the specific things that he enjoyed in Montana (mountains, rivers…), you can take a moment to really visualize them in your mind, and then voice it. That will help you deepen your connection to the script.

Nikka Kowidge
      Participant

I love this read! Your tone and voice quality hit the mark for the subject. In my opinion, you can slow down a little bit at the beginning and give us a little more around some choice words like Nirvana. The second half of the read included your really good emphasis on those types of important and playful words. I also likes that you slowed down the pace a bit in the second half which allowed me to really listen to the content. Great annunciation and emphasis on the final line. This is the story of Hemingway.

montereichert
    Participant

Hello again wonderful people. Please comment and/or critique. Thanks!

Attachments:
      jnamar
      Participant

Hi! I like your delivery, it sounds like a radio commercial, sounds professional. However, I think it would be good if you made emphasis on ‘in person’ and in ‘grammy nominated singer and actress’ to just glide on that. Overall is pretty good! Wish you the best!

Earthbul
    Participant

Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Attachments:
      Tim Kraft
      Participant

Love this read – is it a booked job?

Currently doing some coaching in promo reads, and to me you NAIL this. Lots of energy but respects that fine line between ‘going big” and “over the top”.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Mike_Control
    Participant

Man, I swear copywriters should take their scripts and go beta-test them to a random person on the street to see if it sounds normal.

Anyway, here are two commercial scripts. If you listen to them, let me know if the ending of the MILK ad sounds natural. If I sound conversational, the ending slogan sounds less punchy; however, if I really lean into the pitch, then it doesn’t sound normal.

Thoughts?

Attachments:
      weiss-richmond
      Participant

What I notice with the Milk read is that every word is really clear, but that in certain cases that clarity seems to be coming at the expense of flow. My hunch is that if you were to do a couple reads where you trust that all of this good work will show up, but throw it away a bit more, you might get a version of the whole thing that feels a little easier and more fluid. I think that goes for the ending slogan as well. I hope that’s helpful.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.