Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    T Hayes
    Participant

Very new to all of this. Any feedback is wanted and appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      DanielButtrey
      Participant

Was this done in one take? It certainly sounds like it 😄. I honestly wish I could do a one take read but it usually takes me several.
      There was a point where I heard mouth clicks. It was at the 6 second mark. These are hard to get rid of and I struggle with them myself.
      Your articulation is great, every word is a it should be. Especially for an English learning piece.

T Hayes
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback Daniel! I appreciate the note on mouth clicks. I am pretty new to all of this so, I am still training my ears and learning what I need to listen for in my recordings. I am sure I am probably not hydrated enough. Much appreciated!!

Toque
      Participant

Hi T. I think both your reads are very good. Nice clear voice and diction, and good pace, especially for these kinds of educational reads. The only one small thing I thought I may have noticed was a tiny bit of mouth noise in a few spots (little “clicks” or “smacks” that our mouths can make). I think it happens to all of us. I try to stay hydrated, and also often eat green apple prior to a recording, as it can reduce those sounds. I understand there’s even a green apple spray you can buy, though I’ve never tried it. I still spend a fair bit of time trying to edit the clicks/smacks out. In my DAW, I identify them, clip them out and replace them with a bit of background booth sound that I’ve recorded. Overall though, excellent work! Hope this is of some help. T

T Hayes
        Participant

Toque, thank you for the feedback! I am still new and learning what to listen for in my readings. I appreciated the tips!

T Hayes
    Participant

This is my very first share on the forum. I would appreciate any feedback! Thank you so much !!

Attachments:
      M
      Participant

Hello T! Great job! I too recently posted my first read and felt all of the vulnerability that step brought on! I heard a nice smooth, controlled voice with a good pace for this type of read. Maybe add a tad bit more emphasis to the words “inspired,” “danger,”conflict and “struggle.” They have a built in meaning that allows for a strong delivery. The last word “here” conveys the impression that you are continuing speaking – maybe a falling intonation would suggest that you are actually pointing at the picture…? Just some thoughts, but a really great job!! High-five to the Firsters; we deserve a “10!”

T Hayes
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback! The points you made were actually some things I thought about as I relistened to it. The falling intonation at the end specifically. Good luck to you on this journey. I will be on the lookout for some of your postings to give some feedback. 🙂

Luke V
    Participant

Hey. It’s been a while since I uploaded, but here we go. Please let me know what you truly think, however honest you can be within in the confines of the rules because I think I really need to step out of my comfort zone. Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
      Michele Martin
      Participant

Hi Luke- nice job! I like the way you altered your tone to fit each of your reads. In the Quality Inn script, it sounded like you emphasized “He” before Mr. Simmons and before Bob; I’m wondering if the emphasis might be better placed on Mr. Simmons and Just Plain Bob as opposed to “He”. Thanks for sharing your reads! Michele

BJ
      Participant

Hi Luke – Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone! I think you’re in good company here as I know I feel exactly the same way.

Acura – I like the warmth of your tone. Given the brand, the desire for a dramatic read is understandable. However, consider trying to read this without the pauses.

Discovery – Your warmth and friendliness shines here. I’m not sure if it’s the recording, but I may be hearing sibilant “s”s on “stinks,” “skunk” and “kids.”

Quality Inn – I like your pacing here. The word “We’ll” got swallowed a bit.

Looking forward to your next Post,

BJ

M
      Participant

Hi Luke! Nice job. My suggestion for Quality Inn would be to lighten the tone a little – more upbeat – and perhaps insert an overly emphasized formality to the name “Mr. Simons” to contrast with the casual “Bob”

Good job!

T Hayes
      Participant

Luke V – On each of your three recordings, I think you did a nice job of changing your tone and delivery to appropriately fit the expected audience. My one area of feedback would be to make sure to emphasize the “t” sound at the end of words. I was sometimes not able to hear that sound.

Luke V
        Participant

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I think I’ll need to do a lot more homework beyond script analysis and reading, but I’ll definitely finish my next recordings with your feedback in mind and I hope it shows.

ajcarste
    Participant

Hi there,

I am trying out the “introverts” reading and would like to see if this is relatable. I am hoping on the design reading is conversational.

Thank you so much for your feedback,
    Andrew

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Hi aj. First off, I think you’ve got a great voice – lots to work with there! Generally, I’d suggest some work on the technical side of your recording and/or recording environment. I’m hearing a bit of a boxy sound, which could be due to a few things, including being too close to the mic, or maybe having too small a space or too much sound absorption in place? I’m no sound engineer, and I’m struggling with something similar in my new booth as well. I’m also hearing a low rumble throughout both reads. It’s quite noticeable, especially as the recording ends. Half an hour or so with a sound engineer from Edge might be worthwhile? Good job, and keep at it! T

BJ
      Participant

Hi AJ –

Introverts
      I like the relaxed, warmth of your tone which I do think helps to make it relatable. Try eliminating the pauses throughout (i.e. between “be” and “difficult”) to achieve your most natural read. Also, the word “social” gets a bit lost next to “situation.”

Design
      Nice – still the warmth, but I’d say more authoritative than conversational (I don’t think that’s a bad thing:)) . If you have the time, try a version where at the end you emphasize the word “purpose” instead of “has.”

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

BJ

Talia Hankin
    Participant

Hello! I would very much appreciate any feedback on these two reads. One is corporate explainer, and the other is documentary. Thank you so much!

Attachments:
      M
      Participant

Hi Talia. Great job on both! You have a fresh, youthful voice that naturally evokes playfulness – very refreshing! For these serious reads, maybe consider taking the bounce out slightly to add to the serious/business quality that might be sought. Look forward to some upbeat commercial reads from you as well!

T Hayes
      Participant

Talia- I really loved your reads of both of these! Your tone and pacing were on-point. Struggling to find something to work on, but if I were to give one suggestion your tone for the corporate explainer was maybe a little too peppy. But I am probably reaching a bit. Great job! 🙂

ajcarste
      Participant

I like the energy you have in the Excellence reading. There is good variety in the list of words. It’s overall engaging and vibrant.
      I like the depth your voice has in the Movie reading, I think there should be a little more consistency though in the accent.
      I hope this helps!
      Andrew

mikemcgann
    Participant

Hello, everyone. I’m submitting for feedback on this read. Thanks.

Attachments:
      M
      Participant

A delight to hear! Great tone and excellent balance walking the line between the humor of working from home and its dangerous consequences. I think you have the skills to maintain all of the energy of these two messages with a slightly slower pace… allowing the humor and the seriousness a little space to land and be fully absorbed. good work!

Michele Martin
        Participant

Sounded fantastic, Mike! Your sound strikes me as professional and clean. Easy to listen to. Nothing stood out to me as in need of change. I liked the pace and tone!

Toque
      Participant

Awesome read all around Mike! Not much i can add. Tone, pace, recording quality all good. You’ve got a great voice and use it well. There was just one very small place, talking about there being no co-workers snapping gum “in your ears”, sounded a bit like “in you ears” – but very minor. “In your ears” can be a tough one, kinda like that “unique new york” warm-up exercise. I’m sure we’ll be hearing your voice in lots of places.

Luke V
      Participant

Great tempo, especially when you transition to the next topic, and the consistency in your tone throughout the read is well-done.

ajcarste
      Participant

I thought your reading sounded very familiar and inviting. It was calming to listen to. Thank you for the listen,
      Andrew

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Hey all – working toward a promo demo next month, and have two short reads from the script library…one going for the happy vacation voice, the other trying for a more “mysterious” tone. Would either get you to rent the car or watch the show?

Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Alamo Travel Discounts
    Flock to Florida, hang ten in Hawaii, cruise in California… whichever sun-sational trip you take, you’ll get discounts of up to 25% off Alamo’s great rates, so you can have a cool time in a hot place. See ya in the sun!

Ancient Mysteries
    Man has been compelled by the wonders of the unknown since the beginning of time. From the possible existence of Big Foot to the grips of a mummy’s curse. Uncover the truth behind “Ancient Mysteries” tonight on Channel 4…NBC.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Tim Kraft.
    Attachments:
      M
      Participant

Hello Tim! Great job. I echo BJ’s thoughts: “25% Alamo” is the meat of the promo with all of the preceding, alliterate pairings as the garnish. Really have fun with the latter and add some “umph” to the former. perfect pace. Good tone.

BJ
      Participant

Hi Tim,

How exciting – working on your promo demo!

Alamo Travel Discounts
      Nice pacing – you sound like you’re smiling:). Just two thoughts – Try going up in pitch in the beginning of the word California – so that this line sounds as smiley strong as the Florida and Hawaii lines. Also, 25% is important to emphasize, but consider making the “T” in twenty fit your overall read by softening it. Lastly, consider emphasizing the brand “Alamo.”

Ancient Mysteries
      I hear more of an announcer style here. Perhaps, for a more mysterious tone, picturing that you’re talking with a child will get you there.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

BJ

Tim Kraft
        Participant

Thanks much for the feedback M and BJ. A weird thing about that Alamo read – the script only says “Alamo” once, so it definitely should have been hit harder.

I’m probably a bit too conscious of diction, i.e the “T” in twenty. There’s a fine line between clear and over-annuncaiated, in listening now it sounds too harsh.

Thanks again for the great advice 🙂

Provocaleric
    Participant

Dear Nikka,
    You have a friendly, clear voice that I want to listen to! However, if I had to criticize I would say your pacing started great and then became a bit choppy and you sound a little disconnected from the copy, less reading it and more helping your friend or someone else. I like lead in’s they help me. Thank you for putting yourself out there and look forward to hearing more from you.

Provocaleric
    Participant

Hi AnnellaKaine,
    I think you voice can be perfect for e learning or telephony it sounds crisp and authoritative. I would only suggest to connect with the copy with a clear image in your mind. Lead in’s help as well I look forward to hearing more of you too!

annellakaine
      Participant

Thanks for the listen and feedback!

Provocaleric
    Participant

Hi BJ,
    Excellent work! I really like both of your reads. I like your voice, it sounds friendly yet authoritative and I like your pace, volume and tone. I only suggest you try to get a couple of totally different versions of these reads recorded because you could be asked to do this. Great work.

BJ
      Participant

Hi – Thanks so much for your kind words and for suggesting that I work on a couple of different versions – good idea!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.