Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    melodyz
    Participant

Would love hearing your thoughts on my first try at a read. My coach says I’m a glottal stop queen. Haha. Let me know. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Michele Martin
      Participant

P.S. That didn’t sound to me like a first read! Nice job. Wow 🙂

Michele Martin
      Participant

Hi Melody! Love your voice- it strikes me as having a clear and professional sound. I’m sneaking a quick listen from work, so I didn’t notice glottal stops 😉 but I really found you super easy and pleasant to listen to with nothing annoying that jumped out at me :). Ha ha- I have a feeling you are going to be demoted from your queen status soon.

Toque
      Participant

Well done melody! Good pitch, tone, tempo and volume. Sounds like your recording space will need a bit of attention, but your voice and read are great!

Graceson
    Participant

Hi all!
    I am really struggling with my tone doing commercial voice overs. I understand how tone works but I am having some issues applying the actual tone to the work i.e the tone requested is not what I am delivering. Just wondering what tone you all get from this. Thank you!
    Note: I do know there is an echo in my room I just have not finished building my setup yet. And yes my editing skills are garbo right now but that is a battle for another day.

Attachments:
      Graceson
      Participant

Thank you guys so much! Toque I have taken some notes from that and I will give it a try!

Toque
      Participant

Hi Graceson. It’s a good read. Something I’m trying to work on for commercial scripts, is focusing on Acting vs. Reading. Obviously, it’s important that we read the words right. But once we know the script dialogue, as voice actors, I think we have to try to delve into what the script is trying to communicate, and to who? And then identify what emotions we think would/should be attached to that message. I think that’s where tone (emotion) comes in. Any script will sound much different if read with the emotions of “horror” or “contempt” than it would if read with “Joy” or “Ambition”. The script for the read you posted is a tough one, because the product and the message itself is a bit “clinical”, so kinda tough to attach emotion to it. But for promoting a product that’s about helping you attain better cleanliness and hygiene, you could perhaps try incorporating a tone that says “Hey, i’ve got a secret to tell you.” It’s not easy, but it can make a difference. Acting vs. Reading is an ongoing struggle for me, but I think does make it more fun. Keep it up!

T Hayes
      Participant

My feedback reply did not directly attach to your post. Sorry about that!

mlewis327
      Participant

I think your tone and pacing are good. I don’t focus on editing or audio effects so much as listening to delivery. You sound very close to natural.

ajcarste
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Here are three more takes of my recordings. I am hoping these are cleaner or more polished. I am still working on my recording space so there might be background noise.

Thank you for your feedback,
    Andrew

Attachments:
      cbadloc
      Participant

I’m just starting this so bit of an amateur giving feedback but would say your 2nd part of the Travel ad seemed more polished or smooth than the beginning. Still, nice tone throughout, but perhaps the latter part was a bit more smooth than the beginning. Not that the beginning was bad, just more smooth in latter part of ad.

mlewis327
      Participant

While I don’t like to focus too much on audio quality in listening to others (that can be worked out later), I find the echo/reflections in your audio a bit distracting from your read. Delivery is good.

Bruce Kramer
    Participant

Hi Forum Folks,
    I am dipping my toe into commercials. Does this make you hungry? Comments welcome.
    Thanks

Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

OK, Bruce, I am pretty anti-sugar these days, but you did make me think about cinnamon squares! The playfulness of this read is very fun – nice range. A couple of small suggestions: I would recommend spacing out the nacht, nuit, noche – ever so slightly, just to give the listener a bit more time to absorb them. And, very minor, but I think you rushed “the night” at the end of “it is the night.” Since “night” is a major theme here, I think it could use a little extra emphasis.

ajcarste
      Participant

Hello Bruce,
      The reading has a nice tone. I hear it going in and out though. I think it might be stronger if the volume was constant.
      I hope this helps,
      Andrew

monibr16
    Participant

Hello everyone! This is a script I’m using for my demo. Feed back on style and story, maybe flow, is what im needing to focus on. Not so much the mic and such. Help is so welcome.

Olay Ultra moisture Body Wash 
    Having dry skin is a struggle. Turns out my body wash was the problem. Until I tried Olay body which improves skin three times  better than the leading body wash. Better skin from a body wash? You better believe it. With Olay Body.

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Love it Monika! Good read all-around. T

monibr16
        Participant

Thank you Toque, and thank you for listening!

mlewis327
      Participant

Very natural pace and tone. Can’t find much to nit pick. I might put a bit more emphasis on “body” at the close.

monibr16
        Participant

Nice catch, thank you Mlewis327

ajcarste
      Participant

Hello monibr16,
      I think the reading is very familiar. I’m curious to learn more about the solution when you say “problem” … When you say the Olay body for the first time I think it could be a little bit more sure about the fact you found the solution, but the looseness doesn’t need to go.

I hope this helps,
      Andrew

monibr16
        Participant

Thank you Andrew that actually helps a lot!

T Hayes
    Participant

Hello, previous feedback noted some mouth clicks in my readings. Curious if that is something you hear. And feedback on the pace would be appreciated. Acutally, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments:
      mlewis327
      Participant

Very clear delivery and upbeat. I agree with the other reviewer that you might improve it with a little faster pace, perhaps connecting your sentences like in conversational speech.

T Hayes
        Participant

Thank you for the honest feedback. I appreciate it!

M
      Participant

Hi T. Ohhh to wake up tomorrow to tacos for breakfast…! I lived in Austin and still visit several times a year so this read hit home! I have a hard time identifying the “clicks” I hear so much about, so I will pass on that critique, but the rest of the piece was articulated well and gave the listener an array of the city’s offerings via a colorful delivery. Consider picking up the pace and/or fluctuating the pace so that it too reflects the amazing diversity and flavor of that special town. If you can imagine you telling this “story” to someone who has never been there before who you think would really LOVE it if you could just convince them to visit! That exercise might draw out some of the passion that could really take this great read to the next level. Just some thoughts from a cowgirl!

T Hayes
        Participant

M- thank you for the feedback. Very helpful! I know I need to work on making up a story in my head prior to my reading- work on that ole imagination! I may try this one again with your suggestions in mind. I have never visited Austin, but this makes me want to. 🙂 Thanks again!

Brandyhart610
          Participant

Hi! I think you could speed up a bit to make it more conversational, but I know why you didn’t (you were working on the mouth clicks). Otherwise it was super clear and easy to understand.

T Hayes
          Participant

Thanks Brandy!

Brandyhart610
    Participant

Newbie here. Moving into coaching – first session with my coach is next week. Here are 2 of the 3 scripts I have prepared. Any feedback is appreciated:)

Attachments:
      T Hayes
      Participant

Brandy, these were great! Your tone and delivery were very solid for both of these. Your voice is very unique and interesting to listen to. I am struggling with a point to work on. 🙂 Great job! I am very new to voiceover also. Good luck to you as you start this voice-over journey!!

Brandyhart610
        Participant

Thank you T. Good luck to you as well!

M
      Participant

Hi Brandy. Really great job with both the scripts. There was a wide variety of tone and pace which kept it interesting and engaging. Not much to suggest for improvement except perhaps articulating the end of one word into the the start of the next (e.g., “dogs would walk themselvesaaand algebra…” ; “there’sgottabeone…”). Great story telling and solid delivery.

DanielButtrey
    Participant

My rendition of the NASA script on voices, let me know what you guys think

Attachments:
      mlewis327
      Participant

Daniel, As Ms. Hayes said, you have a great voice and tone. She is right about the pace of delivery. You could slow it a bit in places to even out the pace. Don’t rush in the longer sentences, keep it balanced. Very good sound.

T Hayes
      Participant

Daniel, your tone is perfect for this topic. Your voice is smooth and easy to listen to. My one suggestion would be to slow the pace down just a little. Overall, great job!!

M
    Participant

Hi all!. I’m a newbie. I have attached three different reads of the same piece. I am fiddling around with different audience/delivery and not sure how each lands. Any preference? Is one more appealing than the others? Honest,frank feedback appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments:
      T Hayes
      Participant

M – I thought all three sounded great. Your voice has a clear, easy to listen-to tone. I think they could each be used for a different audience. I am curious if when you recorded you were thinking of a different audience as you read. Great work!

M
        Participant

Hi T. Thank you for listening and for the comments. Yes, I did try and conjure up a different audience – e.g., in #2, I was thinking of a child down on him or herself who needed an encouraging, yet gently stern, pep talk to get back in the “game” with some confidence. I am learning that I need to change my perspective/POV to get myself out of a redundant rut and try on a new sound.

Thanks for the input.

Michele Martin
      Participant

Hi M! I thought all 3 reads sounded great, but my favorite was the last one. I think the slightly quicker pace and less drawn out words sounded like the best fit for the script, but am not sure if this might just be a subjective preference and not a correct or incorrect kind of thing. You have a nice sound 🙂

M
        Participant

Thank you, Michelle. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and reply. Your comments are helpful! I think sometimes, I feel like slowing down allows for greater articulation and that is not always need or the case! thanks!

Toque
    Participant

Hi all. I went through the demo program a couple of years ago. Started actively auditioning on Voices.com in May 2021, and was lucky enough to get a bunch of auditions short-listed, and actually booked a (very small) character job for an online ad in June 2021. Shortly after I finished that job, we experienced a few life changes that took me away from voiceover. But now we’re relocated and ettled, and I just finished putting together my new booth and am starting to tweak it and audition again. I would really appreciate any feedback you can provide (full spectrum: booth sound; performance; diction, etc.) Looking forward to getting back at it, including participating on here again! Thanks for your feedback! T

Attachments:
      DanielButtrey
      Participant

Would you mind if I posted my own read of this script on here? I would enjoy getting your feedback.

DanielButtrey
      Participant

I auditioned for the same job on Voices. I listened to your rendition about 5 times now. Your audio quality is very good, all I hear is you. And you sound great. Articulation is top notch and the pacing sounds good as well.
      I can only imagine that out of the current 229 auditions for this piece that there are a few that stand out in other ways that I would love to know about. The voice they thought of when they posted this has to have made itself available at this point.
      I don’t really have any critique of you other than it maybe doesn’t sound very conversational. But then again the audition calls for genuine and articulate which is what you’ve presented.
      Long story short, you’re back in the game and your recording space sounds great! Keep it up!

Toque
        Participant

Thanks so much for your feedback Daniel! And no, I don’t mind at all if you post your own read of that script.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.