Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Luke V
    Participant

Hey guys. I’m back with another round of recordings. Thank you in advance for your wonderful feedback.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      M
      Participant

Hi Luke! American Express was definitely my favorite of the three. It seemed like a good length with a definite start middle and finish that suited your voice and diction; and, your choice of pace was spot on. I’d like to hear more of that style!

iPhone: I had to rewind a couple of times to determine the words “voice activation” and “driver’s seat” so perhaps take a little more time with those word pairs and articulate the end of one and the beginning of the other – that would help the flow of the read for me.

Rock: Along the aforementioned lines, I got a little bogged down with “bands your” – slowing down a smidge and changing “bandzyer ex” to “bands your (rhymes with “store”) ex” would keep it moving without s mental hiccup.

Great job – for me those minor adjustments would take it to the next level.

Luke V
        Participant

Thank you so much. I also sent my recordings to my singing teacher and she pointed out the exact same things as you have. She and I spent some time working on it together, so I hope it shows the next time I upload. Thanks again.

Graceson
    Participant

Hi all! Just dropping this here. I haven’t fixed the echo in my room yet so please excuse.

Attachments:
      BJ
      Participant

Hi – Nice warmth in your voice. I like your pacing and inflection. Just a couple of thoughts – consider trying this with a little more of a smile in your voice and playing up the conversational approach (picture who you’re taking with about A-1) – feel free to lean into that “delicious.” Looking forward to hearing more from you.

dhwilson2
    Participant

these are my first 2 attempts at medical narration. please be kind while also specific. 🙂
    One is a “explainer” piece on multiple myeloma.
    The other is a “propaganda” piece from a nationwide cancer provider

Trying for two different tones

Attachments:
      HillOKeefe
      Participant

Hi dhwilson2! You have a very interesting sound! What stood out to me immediately was mouth clicks and a low frequency hum. The clicks can be fixed with proper hydration. The hum can be removed with a program like iZotope RX (Just google the stand alone or plug in option for tutorials). You may also want to shoot for crisper/clearer enunciation. Keep going, you’re headed in a great direction!

dhwilson2
        Participant

HillOKeefe—thank you for thanking the time to listen to my reads. More importantly, thank you for the very detailed information on specifics of my voice and how to fix them.
        Thank you. You’re va very kind person. 🙂

dhwilson2
      Participant

these are my first 2 attempts at medical narration. please be kind while also specific. 🙂
      One is a “explainer” piece on multiple myeloma–technical.
      The other is a positive outlook on the future of cancer Tx.

Trying for two different tones

DillonP
    Participant

I got two new reads both Commercial and Narration. And they both have an positive tone. Please give feedback, as it would help me improve on my reads and VO success.

Attachments:
      BJ
      Participant

Hi – Nice, friendly, warm tone. Lion King – Some words get a bit lost when speaking quickly. Are the last two words “one half” intended to be part of this read? Fish Boil – Conjure up who you are talking to for a more conversational read and to help you vary your delivery style. Looking forward to listening to you again.

RCampos
    Participant

Hi VO Friends,
    I’m very grateful for all the helpful feedback I’ve been getting from you. Here’s a new one. Working on connecting with the material. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!
    Robert

Attachments:
      M
      Participant

Hello rcampos: Great job capturing the playful sarcasm of Carl – perfect! You have a wonderfully smooth voice and calming tone. My suggestion for this read is to pick up the energy to reflect the enthusiasm and eagerness these late-teens must be feeling at (perhaps) their first shot at independence and adulthood.

I noted additional breaths after “dreams” “rules” “conduct” “Carl” and “but” which interrupted the flow. Obviously you have to breath, but perhaps assign where is the most efficient and natural spot to do so so that you keep it moving.

The music I would change or lose; it sets a mood for me that doesn’t encapsulate the youthful energy this time of life epitomizes.

You c l e a r l y have the skills and the voice so take my comments with a grain of salt.

RCampos
        Participant

Hi M, Thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback! I appreciate your take on it and welcome your thoughts. I do think I can do better at reflecting the energy and enthusiasm of this particular VO, and I’ll work on the breaths as well. Wishing you all the best, Robert

T Hayes
    Participant

Hello everyone! Would appreciate feedback on these two reads. Curious about how my acting is. Are my voice and character appropriate for each read? Would love any feedback. Thanks!

Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

Hi T Hayes,
      Nice job on these. In terms of acting, you show good range here – the VOs call for dramatically different reads and you deliver that well. In Candy – the very beginning sounds like you’re a little further away from the mike. When you get closer, I hear a fuller sound. At :12 I think you could add a bit more emphasis to the title of the program: Making Candy – so that it’s clear this is the name of the show. At :18 it sounds to me like you say “He-you,” instead of “you.” Was that deliberate? In Relaxation, you have an exhale at :02, which seems out of place unless you’re telling people to “breathe out.” I think you effectively capture the meditative tone of this throughout. Very nice work!
      Robert

Renita
      Participant

I agree. Nice reads. I really like your sound on “Relaxation.” I will pass on a tip I learned recently that I plan to implement; If the script/topic is not interesting to me when I read it to myself, others will not be interested when you deliver it. This may help “Making-Candy” sound less like you are reading the script. Overall, nice job.

DillonP
      Participant

They are both good reads for sure. As for the Making Candy I think you should pick up the pace on it. It seems more of a commercial than narration, other than that the diction was great on your part.

RCampos
    Participant

Hi Gang,
    I would really appreciate your thoughts on this VO. I’m working on varying my tone and smoothing out my read. Welcome your suggestions.
    Thank you!
    Robert

Attachments:
      CMcHugh
      Participant

Hi RCampos, first off I wanted to thank you for the feedback you provided, I really appreciate it. For your read I thought you sounded great, it had a good energy throughout, the only thing I would say is for the transition between “He’s back” and “Each year” is to add a slightly longer pause as you switch between the flows of the read.

Renita
      Participant

Hi Robert,
      I like the tone of your voice and enjoyed the reads. I agree with the comments already made. Let your voice match the music’s energy and the message’s sentiments. Keep up the good work!

RCampos
        Participant

Thanks very much, Renita. I’ll work on that. I think I tend to have a laid back California way of speaking. I need to figure out how to bring more energy when it’s needed. Appreciate your thoughts!
        Robert

Artist7
      Participant

Hi, RCampos!The read was very good! Just a couple of suggestions: “He’s taking salsa lessons as a surprise for his wife” needs to be smoothed out a bit, as it sounds like you’re reading the script. Would also suggest delivering “He’s back!” with a bit more enthusiasm (sounds like the script itself is about relief from back pain?) Also, if this is one continuous script, would recommend using the same background music throughout…..almost sounds like two separate reads. Hope this helps!

RCampos
        Participant

Thanks very much for your notes, Artist7. I think I’ll try memorizing my next script and see if I can shed the sound of “reading.” My background is in documentaries and news (writing/producing, not voicing), so I think I need to break some old modes and ramp up the enthusiasm when the script calls for it. I will also take another look at the music and see if I can make one piece work throughout. Appreciate your time!
        Robert

T Hayes
      Participant

Hi Robert,

I thought your tone and pace went well with the different sections of this read. My one suggestion would be to pick up the excitement and pace a little on the salsa section. Good luck to you!

RCampos
        Participant

Hi T Hayes, Thanks very much for your suggestion. I just listened to it again and agree with you. I’ll work on bringing more of the excitement and pace in that section. Appreciate your help.

JDM_VO
      Participant

Overall, clear and relaxed read, which is good! If I were to offer one piece of advice, try relishing the script more, and let something unexpected and more spontaneous come through. The words, while feeling relaxed enough, seem to still flow too steadily, removing the potential for further emotional impact and connection. I struggle with this too!

Keep up the good work,

Justin M.

RCampos
        Participant

Hi JDM, interesting advice that I had not heard before – thank you! I do think I need to allow for more playfulness and range. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment. I’ll work on these things. All the best…

CMcHugh
    Participant

Hello, posting two recordings for homework, and comments and feedback would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
      T Hayes
      Participant

Hello,
      There is a smoothness to the tone of your voice that I enjoy listening to. You did a nice job varying the delivery between these two reads based on the subject. My suggestion for improvement would be, on the words you gave emphasis and inflection to, I would put a little more punch behind them. Great job!

RCampos
      Participant

Hi CMcHugh, I think you capture the spirit of the Rinsewell VO nicely. You have some good variety in your tone, but I do think, for this topic you could bring even more variation in pitch and stronger inflection. Rinsewell might appreciate it if you slowed down and emphasized a little more the first time you say their company name. You have a micro-pause at :06 between “with” and “out.” I get that you want to emphasize this, but I think this would work better if you run the words together and punch the word “out.” Final note – your pronunciation of “toxins” sounds more like “toxens” to me. But those are all small tweaks. Nice work overall! If you have a moment, I would appreciate your thoughts on a VO I just posted: Back pain. Thank you!
      Robert

Artist7
    Participant

Hello! I would really appreciate some feedback on these two reads. Thanks so much!

Attachments:
      RCampos
      Participant

Hi Artist7,
      Just listened to Earthbound-Farm, I like your intonation throughout. You have a nice voice, variety of pitch, and style. I like the way you broaden out the dreaded “pesticides” at the end. Good touch. You have a pause at about :08 after vegetables and before “are,” which I don’t think you need, and another pause at about :23 between “crisp, delicious bite,” and “you can take comfort…” Don’t think that pause helps the VO either. I really like the musicality of your final phrase: Food to live by. Nice work. If you have a moment, I would welcome your thoughts on the Back Pain VO I just posted. Thank you!
      Robert

Artist7
        Participant

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback-it was very helpful!

Pamela B
    Participant

Hello, looking for some feedback on the attached narration samples.

Attachments:
      T Hayes
      Participant

Hello Pamela,
      Your voice has a lovely, clear sound. For the Tiny Dancer read, I would suggest slowing down and imagining yourself actually in the room introducing this painting to a group. A slower read will allow the viewers time to note the different elements of the painting. For the women at work read, I would suggest putting more emphasis on the name of the survey “Women at Work ” and some of the keywords “inclusion, diversity, voluntary, anonymous”. Great Job!

RCampos
      Participant

Hi PamelaB, Nice choice of VO – Little Dancer. Very interesting subject that leaves you wanting to know more. You have a nice, resonant voice, and you articulate clearly. I think you could slow this down and “feel the room” a bit more – really take us in there and make us experience Degas’ bold revelation. At :06 I’m not sure what the word is: this “culture” was exhibited. Is culture, in fact, what you say there? If so, I’m not sure I understand the use of the word, but if that’s the way it’s written, so be it. I think in addition to slowing down, you could give us more variation in pitch, more mystery and more excitement. Good work and wish you all the best in VO. If you have a moment, please listen to my “Back Pain” VO – just posted. Thank you!
      Robert

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.