Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    SteveVO
    Participant

Would love to get feedback on this. Here’s the script – “The Julia” –
    You’re listening to the actual recording of “the Julia”. A subsonic moan that doesn’t match the sound of any marine creature ever recorded.
    Many biologists will tell you it’s a deep-sea distress call. And when you listen, it’s easy to see why. The mysterious howling was captured by deep-sea hydrophones off the coast of Cape Adare. The same place Nasa captured photographs of a huge, unexplained shadow moving through the water.
    It may well be a coincidence, but if the Julia really is a distress call from the deep, perhaps it’s time we answered. Ninety-five per cent of our oceans remain unexplored. Are we killing what we’ve yet to discover?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      DillonP
      Participant

It is a good read and the pacing was spot on. The only thing I could say about it is that you should lower your volume for this one due to the echoing and reflecting of sound. Other than that everything was great. Keep at it!

SteveVO
        Participant

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Seth Jackson
    Participant

Focusing on the conversational aspect of my read. Any feedback would be awesome. Please and thank you.

Attachments:
      Michele Martin
      Participant

Love your sound, Seth. Sounds like a voice I’d hear on a real commercial. My only offering is to pick up the pace just a touch. Sounded super!!

Seth Jackson
        Participant

I do enjoy much more while picking the pace, for sure. Thanks you two.

Attachments:
      D B
      Participant

Hi Seth, I think you absolutely have a conversational tone from beginning to end in your read, and your voice has a knowledgeable, reassuring tone that it is perfect for the script. I think you could experiment doing this one at maybe a slightly quicker pace without losing any of the friendly, warm delivery you have here. Awesome all around!

D B
    Participant

Hi all. These are practice reads for my narration demo. I would really appreciate your listen and feedback. Thank you.

Attachments:
      vlwalinski
      Participant

Hi DB,

Your reads were great! Smooth, informative and good tone. I think you need a little bit more emphasis on certain words/phrases, such as the last line in Tough Mudders. I also really like the pacing in The Ravens. Wonderful job!

– Veronica

Michele Martin
      Participant

I haven’t taken any narration classes or narration specific coaching sessions, but thought this sounded great! Nothing jumped out at me or gave me that little twitch of “not quite right”. It was easy to listen to and I liked the pacing and tone variation!

D B
        Participant

Hi Michele, thank you for listening and for your encouraging feedback. I appreciate it a ton!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by D B.
        Michele Martin
        Participant

P.S. I listened to Raven

vlwalinski
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Here are two recordings for my narration homework:-) Would love your feedback!
    Best,
    Veronica

Attachments:
      D B
      Participant

Hi Veronica, I loved your reads: the variation between them in tone, and your knowledgeable delivery! Your voice has such a lovely balance of upbeat and informative. I think you could try both at a slightly slower pace without losing any of the vibrancy of your read—-it’s interesting, and your voice is awesome for it. Nice work!

vlwalinski
        Participant

Hi DB,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me feedback! I will slow down the pace, which is challenge for me! Thank you again for the encouraging comments!!!:-)

Best,
        Veronica

Talia Hankin
    Participant

Hello! I would greatly appreciate any feedback on these two narration recordings (one corporate explainer, one documentary). Thank you so much!

Attachments:
      D B
      Participant

Hi Talia, I think both reads are fantastic. I love the quality of your voice and the energy it has. In the first read, you’re informative but also warm and friendly, and your diction is so clear and precise. In the second, your voice is very engaging and draws the listener in, even though the subject is serious—I wanted to keep listening. I think if you tried both reads ever so slightly slower, you would still have a very energetic delivery, because your voice is compelling. Loved listening to your reads!

BJ
    Participant

Hi – I’m working on some additional tracks for my narration demo. I’d greatly appreciate you listening to these two reads and giving me some feedback. The first is a non-profit read and the second is an education (pet adoption) read. Thanks in advance:)!

Attachments:
      Artist7
      Participant

Hi, BJ- I enjoyed listening to both reads! Really liked the guinea pig read. One minor item on the AAFA read…the word “triggering” almost sounds like “twiggering.” Aside from that, very nice work!

Erika S
      Participant

Hi- I enjoyed both of your reads. I especially love how you said the word “cute” about the guinea pigs! I can picture it and hear your smile! Sounds warm and friendly. So Nice!

BJ
        Participant

Erika – Appreciate your listen and feedback

Erika S
    Participant

Good morning! Here is a commercial read. I would love to get some feedback on. Thank you!!

Attachments:
      vlwalinski
      Participant

Hi Erika, What a great read! Your voice is smooth, informative and reassuring. I agree with BJ about playing up “beta what?” and turning up the performance there:-)
      -Veronica

BJ
      Participant

Hi Erika – Nice. Consider playing up “beta what?” and playing with your timing a bit on this. Try backing up a bit from the mic to avoid some of the mouth noises. Looking forward to your next post.

Erika S
        Participant

Thank you! I was thinking that as well! Trying it a few different ways. I really appreciate your feedback!

Michele Martin
    Participant

Hi Friends-
    Here are two commercial reads for my homework. Any feedback appreciated 🙂
    Thank you,
    Michele

Attachments:
      Seth Jackson
      Participant

I think it sounds great! I’ve been learning from my coach that the bookable auditions are conversational, and that sounds a bit more airable. Like the finished product. I was a bit confused by this, but now it’s starting to make sense.

Earthbul
        Participant

Just felt that the inflection on the word canary could have been just a tad more sarcastic and hit just a little harder to make it a little more humorous. Despite that I really enjoyed your voice and your delivery.

Michele Martin
        Participant

Hi Seth-
        Ha- me too. I had to read it again to get the part about the canary and deduced it was a reference to the cat not eating him because he (the cat) had a full belly from the Purina cat food :). Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback!

D B
      Participant

Hi Michele, I love both reads, and especially the warm sincerity you bring to both—-they are ads that don’t feel like ads! Just a friend telling me about two products. The Ziplock tagline delivery is *awesome*. I think your pacing is exactly right for these reads, too. It made me wonder if you also work in narration or if you’re considering it, because your reads are so smooth. I loved listening!

Michele Martin
        Participant

Thank you so much, DB! It felt so good to read your feedback. I haven’t done narration but would like to work on that with a coach in the future. Saving up to hopefully dive into that next :).

BJ
      Participant

Hi Michele – Always enjoy listening to you! Love your tone and can hear your smile and feel your energy. Purina One – Consider playing up the “great news for your canary” line. Ziploc – I feel that when you say “When it comes out this fresh …” is when you’re really hitting your stride in this spot. All around – well done!

ksheneman
    Participant

Practicing for narration demo. I appreciate your listen and your feedback.

Attachments:
      Michele Martin
      Participant

P.S. And by mature I mean trustworthy and adult, not “too mature”. I’ve noticed on V.O. sites that anything over about age 30 (or perhaps it was 35, I’m not positive) is considered mature.

Michele Martin
      Participant

Hi Kathryn-
      Love your voice! You are fun to listen to. I especially enjoyed the poodle haircut instructions. I can also envision you voicing something in the upscale fashion world, or travel. Your sound strikes me as mature, hip, and in the know :). If I had to offer a critique, it would be that the guided relaxation felt a touch choppy to me- perhaps a smoother style read would sound even more relaxing. Nice work!
      Michele

BJ
    Participant

Hi Artist 7 – Thanks so much for the listen and the feedback:)!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.