Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    katelyndawnvo
    Participant

I’ve really been enjoying just writing some of my own scripts – helps the creative juices flow. Have a great day. Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn! Very good read, and great script! Flow was nice and conversational. Great job!

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Katelyn!

Nice read —- the pace was even, and I could hear the variation in tone.

As a creative person, I’ve really enjoyed writing my own scripts, too —- I believe it helps with the enthusiasm! (I haven’t posted any here for feedback.)

Keep up the good work!

Kathy

swy619
      Participant

Hi Katelyn,
      Very nice script and excellent delivery. Sounded friendly and natural. Thanks for sharing.

mbarillier
    Participant

hi — first post since the site upgrade so we’ll see how this goes ….
    three practice scripts for coaching session:

1. Whether you’re young or old, male or female, single or with a family — this video is for and about you. That’s because Social Security has programs that affect everybody. This presentation was prepared by the Social Security Administration and tells you what you need to know about Social Security while you’re still working and what you need to know when it’s your turn to collect benefits. It also provides an overview of Medicare and Supplemental Security income benefits.
    2. Here we have a very simple example of a database which has users, phone numbers and bank
      accounts as entity types. In addition we have two types of relationships: phone calls from
      one phone to another, and money transfers from one bank account to another. On the left is
      a relational database schema for our simple dataset. We don’t show a separate user table
      because we don’t have any facts about users other than their phone numbers and bank account
      numbers. On the right is the graph database schema for the same use case. There are three
      vertex types (the circles) and the four edge types (the lines). We omit the details about
      what properties each vertex type or edge type has.
    3. In the sixth century B.C. Pythagoras, a Greek mathematician, is thought to have made
      accoustic experiments with a vibrating string called a monochord. Using two monochords,
      Pythagoras performed an experiment in which the string of one monochord was successively
      shortened by half (raising the pitch an octave) while the other was shortened by two thirds
      (raising the pitch a fifth). After seven octaves and twelve fifths, Pythagoras discovered
      that the B# from the second monochord was not exactly the same as the C produced by the first
      monochord, but was slightly higher in pitch. This discrepancy is called the Pythagorean
      comma.
    Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi MBarillier! All 3 of these reads are good. You have a good deep, warm tone, good pace and good enunciation. Your voice seems well suited to these types of reads. Good job!

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

Hi, Listened to most of your 3 scripts and they sound very clinical if that’s what your looking to accomplish? Good clear enunciation, pacing and clarity, however that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re believable though. I would suggest a little more excitement about the subject matter, good work and thanks for sharing that.

swy619
      Participant

Hi,
      Well, looks like the post came out just fine, and I really enjoyed listening to your reads. The second one especially seemed really natural and conversational, like you were just talking to me instead of reading. The first sounded very professional, which I would expect for something from the SSA, but your tone was also varied and interesting to listen to. I confess I had a bit of a hard time distinguishing the word “successively” in the third script; I almost thought I heard “accessibly,” so I think a little more clarity there would be good, and some more pitch variation in that third script could increase interest. Great work! Thanks for sharing.

irvj
    Participant

Just trying a promo type of read. Would welcome feedback regarding delivery as well as audio quality.

Free. Now when’s the last time ya’ heard that? A while…right? Well at American Tire Supply, when you buy one all-weather radial tire, you get another one free! Plus, get a free alignment! Hey, with a deal like this, how can you NOT afford to visit. So hurry on down to your local American Tire Supply, where you can still hear the word free. Subject to dealer participation.

Attachments:
      AndreaC
      Participant

I think that the audio sounds great! You have a very comforting, calm tone, and clear annunciation.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Irvj! I really like your voice! Very warm and smooth and mellow. Good variation in tone and pitch. Great job!

Mary

irvj
        Participant

Thanks a ton mkell755!!!

mkell755
          Participant

You are welcome irvj! 🙂

swy619
      Participant

Hi there,
      Yes, very nice delivery, and the audio quality sounded great! I might suggest emphasizing that first “free” a bit more. Volume was a little low in comparison to what followed. Also, maybe experiment with more emphasis on “not” in “not afford.” These are just little things of course. Really fantastic job!

irvj
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback swy619. I’ll put that in to play!!

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Wow I love this!! Your voice is delicious. I don’t really have much to say that is constructive, I thought it was great. Perhaps you could try a delivery with a bit of a quicker pace to up the energy a little bit. Nice work! – Katelyn

irvj
        Participant

You’re on point there. After listening for the umpteenth time, a little more energy would be appropriate. Thanks for your input katelyndawnv!!

kfvoice
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I struggled with this copy all evening and night. You name it, and I just couldn’t get it right — from my enunciation, which is frustrating me (“corset” to mention one), to pops and clicks; even my recording quality. However, I am uploading this practice read for your critique.

Thanks again!

Mae West

Mae West was the daughter of a boxer and a corset model, who became a vaudevillian at the age of fourteen. At thirty three, in 1926, she wrote, produced and directed a Broadway show called ‘S*x’, and landed in jail on obscenity charges. After wowing Broadway in ‘Diamond Lil’, she signed with Paramount in 1932 and moved to Hollywood. Her risqué 1930s comedies were ground-breaking, in terms of both s****l content and roles for women. Her films included ‘Night After Night’ and ‘She Done Him Wrong’, which was the film version of ‘Diamond Lil’, and broke all existing box-office records, credited with saving Paramount from having to sell out to its rival, MGM.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Kathy! I think this was a good read. The word “corset” is not a deal-breaker if mispronounced in my opinion; not often used enough for that and can be easily fixed. Some of the script seemed a little monotone in spots but was interesting to hear nonetheless. Good job on this one!

Mary

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

OK, so I struggle with clicks as well, and most of the time, it’s due to a lack of hydration. Munching on some green apple slices can help, too, the acid will help break up the stuff in your mouth that can cause some of the noise.

With pronunciation, the letter “a” should be short, as in “ah”, not “eh” like Canadians say. By doing that, it may help with the pronunciations of the following words (like corset). Same thing with “obscenity”, it should be a short “e”, like “ob-sen-ity”, rather than “ob-seen-ity”.

Something that helped me, as a suggestion from one of my coaches, James Andrews, was to cross out the words “to” and “for” and write in the numbers “2” and “4”. It helped me slow down a bit and give the words some more enunciation.

The sound quality itself sounded fine to me…just a touch of room noise, like a fan from a computer or something, but nothing a little light noise reduction in post couldn’t cure.

Just know: we all struggle. Knowing that you’re struggling, and knowing that you aren’t getting it right, is a sign that you have the skills and knowledge to do it. This is a good thing. Keep at it!

kfvoice
        Participant

Thanks Brian for the encouragement and tips!

Not that I don’t want to pronounce words correctly, but, I’m wondering if my close proximity to Quebec has anything to do with certain pronunciations and dialect. Hmm.

BrianWigginsVO
          Participant

It could. I have to be careful about certain words because of my Delaware Valley accent…we tend to slur words, leave them off, or sometimes have some odd inflections.

svenbot5000
    Participant

Howdy! I’m posting another quick practice recording before my next coaching session. Any performance feedback is greatly appreciated.

Qtie

Dating and making new friends can be difficult and daunting. But thanks to Qutie it’s now easier for you to meet fellow LGBT individuals. Follow your heart to find your true colors with Qutie.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by svenbot5000. Reason: Edit: Forgot to get rid of my lead-in, apologies!
    Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Svenbot! I liked your voice a lot for this read, very warm, friendly and approachable. I agree with some of the other comments in that it could have been just a very little bit slower, but it sounded really good overall. You might want to emphasize “Qutie” a bit more for the 2 times the word is said; it’s an unusual word and you want to make sure the listener knows the product being sold.

Mary

irvj
      Participant

Hi, i thought the slightly slower pace on your 2nd recording was a great improvement. The first recording was just a tad rushed. Love your tone and the accessibility of your voice.

mbarillier
      Participant

Hi — Good tone for the spot: you keep the sound upbeat and positive. agreed that a slower speed will let the listener absorb the words a bit more, but overall sounds good.

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Good evening!

Okay, so you have a great tone, first of all. The read was a little rushed, though, and it resulted in some words being smushed together. Slow it down and let it breathe a little.

NoreenQuadir
    Participant

Hi, new to commercial VO training and wanted to attach my VO samples here for feedback as I’m learning. Would appreciate feedback from others. Thanks! 🙂

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Noreen! I like these reads for your voice. My favorite was the third for Hershey’s, it just seemed the most believable for you. The Second script for Elf was a little hard to hear clearly on my end, I little slower might help the many “s’s” in the script be fully enunciated, they tended to run together. Good job!

Mary

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

so the first thing I noticed was that all of the reads were essentially exactly the same in terms of the pacing, tone, and emotion. That’s something that should be varied, as each read would be attempting to reach a different audience, and achieve a different goal, right?

Also, in each there were some cases of slurred words, so make sure to slow down.

Finally, was this recorded on your phone just for the sake of practice? If yes, then no worries…if not, you’ll definitely need to work on your setup.

NoreenQuadir
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, this was recorded on my phone and just for practice.

swy619
    Participant

Two very contrasting scripts here. Had fun testing different genres. Feedback appreciated. Peace and thanks!
    Kids Activity TV
    Every day is an adventure with Activity TV. It’s the place to be for
    hundreds of Awesome activities in dozens of categories! Cartooning to
    magic to cooking and more – ready for you day or night. This month
    learn some gross out magic. Watch closely as Ryan teaches you to
    perform the severed finger trick!
    Meditation
    Make yourself comfortable, sitting upright, with a straight spine.
    With your eyes closed, look at the point midway between the eyebrows
    on your forehead. Inhale slowly, counting to eight. Hold the breath
    for the same eight counts while concentrating your attention at the
    point between the eyebrows. Now exhale slowly to the same count of
    eight. Repeat three to six times.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Swy619! I really liked both of these reads for you. They were very different from each other and both very believable. Good pace and excitement for the first read and lots of variation in tone. For the second script it was great – it contained more pauses and breathiness which was very appropriate for that read. Great job!

Mary

SuperLuke
      Participant

Wow! The meditation recording was great, relaxed, really worked, convincing and more. The other performance with the kids show was nice too.

swy619
        Participant

Thanks SuperLuke!

svenbot5000
      Participant

Hi! I have some feedback for your kids tv read. Your higher pitch definitely helps sell the enthusiasm! I would try changing up the pacing of the read next time. An enhanced pace would help hook any kids listening to this want to tune in. Your tone kind of lowers when you say “Dozens” as well, I would raise it instead to emphasize the amount of categories. Keep up the good work!

swy619
        Participant

Cool! I’ll try raising that tone on “dozens” and varying the pace throughout. Thank you!

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

This was so fun!! Ladies this ones for you 😉 Any feedback is appreciated, thank you. I put this script together based on a recent ad with Amy Schumer

Attachments:
      docr15
      Participant

katelyndawnvo, excellent read! I can’t really find any negative to say. This was smooth, natural and easy to listen to. Recording quality was great. This is a TV/Radio quality read in my humble opinion.

AndreaC
      Participant

Very clear and friendly!

irvj
      Participant

Totally agree with BrianWigginsVO. I hear this, I see this ad on the tube. I liked the way you changed pitch, it gave a more conspiratorial feel, like, “just between us”…Great job!

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Aw shucks, thanks you guys! <3

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Great job! I could definitely hear that as an actual campaign.

mkell755
      Participant

Love this Katelyn! Agree with the comment before, sounds very relatable and authentic – I believe you!! Your voice sounds really good for this commercial – very well done!

Mary

NoreenQuadir
      Participant

I love it! It sounds very relatable as if a friend is talking to me.

BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

Audition Feedback

Hoping to submit this ASAP, so any feedback regarding delivery will be very helpful. Three scripts all with the same direction: “In a tone that’s intellectual and energetic”.

Script 1:
    Doctors specialize in treating patients, not negotiating drug contracts and rates.
    That’s where GPOs come in – to serve physicians.
    Smart GPOs rely on data to ensure providers have access to the right therapeutic choices at the best value.

Script 2:
    Distribution is the critical link between pharmaceutical manufacturers and healthcare providers
    Because AmerisourceBergen offers specialty distribution to its partners,
    we understand that a specialty distributor has knowledge of their patient base and specific needs of specialty physician practices.

Script 3:
    At a time when health systems are challenged to maximize revenue capture, Drug reimbursement requirements are changing and complex.
    Even with an increased focus on this area, it can be difficult for a health system to have a holistic view of the revenue cycle and its complexities, spanning everything from drug procurement to reimbursement.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Brian, great work on these, good inflections although some seem a bit contrived or maybe too upward in inflection on sentence ending? Only other thought on improvement would be like so many of us have, is glottal stops or I call squeezing of words which come out distorted ie; manufacturers in script 2 and complex in first sentence of script 3, hope that helps and good luck.

BrianWigginsVO
        Participant

That’s helpful, thanks…I’ll have to give it another listen to see where I was doing that.

[email protected]
    Participant

Hey another ad practice script for me. Thanks so much! I would love performance and space notes for this one.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

I like your natural and informative delivery style. I think it would work well in PSAs. Although this is a retail clothing commercial you may want to perk up the ending somewhat with a smile if you know what I mean, good work on this and thanks for sharing!

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Love the tone and your delivery on this…there was a real earnestness to it. Maybe slow down like 3.6% (but that’s just one opinion, take it for what it’s worth), and the only real note I have is that the end tag is really rushed, especially to your nearly dead-on pacing with the rest of it. But other than that, great!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.