Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Erika S
    Participant

Good evening! I have been working on my dialect with my coach. I thought it would be fun, and a little different if you would kindly listen to my upload and guess what state you think I am from?! I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Thank you!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      waninick
      Participant

Erika, I would say that your dialect coach is pretty good…! I played the track before reading your comment, and had no idea you were working on something like that. Actually a really good read. You didn’t mention about your recording environment, but it will need some work, as does mine…:). I have a take of this as well. It was really fun to do, and it seemed you had a good time with it as well.

Nice..!!

-TimG

JOHN LANNERT
      Participant

I don’t know which state you’re from, but the greeting was nice and warm.

SuperLuke
        Participant

Agreed

Erika S
        Participant

Thank you! I suppose for the goal of this sample, if nothing jumped out at you then thats a good thing!
        Thank you for listening:)

MattSchonberg
    Participant

Hey all; as part of my classes I’ve been asked to get this read checked out on the forums. Would appreciate any advice on both the read as well as the editing – Not 100% sure I have the hang of Audacity editing yet but that’s what practice is for!

Attachments:
      JOHN LANNERT
      Participant

Ear-perking voice and crisp delivery. It sounded a bit fast in the second half of the copy.

mikemcgann
    Participant

What’s up everyone.

Attached are some commercial examples for review. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Attachments:
      JOHN LANNERT
      Participant

Excellent, resonant voice delivered with gusto, but a pinch-quick delivery sometimes compromised copy clarity.

domyexam
    Participant

There is a growing concern that students who online exam service are not achieving the same level of understanding and mastery of the material as those who complete the assignments themselves. This is because when students outsource their work to someone else, they are not engaging with the material in the same way as they would if they completed the work themselves. They are also missing out on the opportunity to receive feedback from their instructors and improve their understanding of the subject matter.

BJ
    Participant

Hi – I’m working away at building my narration demo. Would you please listen to these short reads and giving me some feedback? The first two are for a government agency and the second two are for a museum. What works? What doesn’t? Which versions of each do you prefer? Appreciate you!

Attachments:
      JOHN LANNERT
      Participant

Loved StaxV2! Your pleasant-to-the-ear voice easily surfed the copy with range and verve less evident on the other reads.

melodyz
      Participant

Hi BJ. Really enjoyed your natural tone in Jury version 2. It flowed for such an important topic. (May I ask what type of mic you’re using. It’s very clear. Thanks!)

John Sevier
      Participant

Hello there! Overall, nice work on your narration. You have a very warm tone and a nice smooth voice that is enjoyable to listen to. All of your recordings are good, so my comments are just minor observations that hopefully help you refine things.

Just a few things that caught my attention when listening to your recordings:
      – JuryServiceV1 – It felt a little rushed, so you should be able to slow your pace a little without feeling like it is dragging. It also comes across as stereotypical uncaring government info. Not sure if that is good or bad, depending on what you were going for, it might read better with a more sympathetic conversational approach.

– JuryServiceV2 – Much better pace. Still the unemotional government info tone. Again, depending on what client wants, that may be fine but if you weren’t going for it, you should be aware.

– STAXV1 – Pace and rhythm feel off on this one. Tone and diction is good but some sentences feel like they are rushed together where there should be a pause and others have a pause where it feels like it should flow together.

-STAXV2 – Pacing is much better on this one, it doesn’t feel quite a rushed, but the rhythm still feels a little off in one or two places.

Again, great job so far and keep it up!

BJ
        Participant

Hi John – Thanks for your kind words and in-depth feedback. Yes, I am going for a more detached approach for Jury Service. Perhaps, I took it too far? Also, is there any chance you could tell me specifically where you feel my rhythm is off in Stax V2?

John Sevier
          Participant

No problem. Specifically in STAXV2, the flow from the welcome into the first stop comes across as one sentence, when the words indicate it should be two or possibly three distinct sections.

BJ
          Participant

Thanks – this is so very helpful. I need to edit my copy for now I see how what I penned is confusing!

TimberTykes
    Participant

Good Evening!

I’ve had a lot of personal things going on in my background, but I finally have some time to get back to practicing.

I feel a little rusty, but overall I like what I did here. Criticism and feedback of any kind is much appreciated! It’s overall a conversational piece, and I’m also working with a new mic stand. The stand is helping me make more space in my studio, and I hearing a lot less breathing now.

Next time, I plan to practice something with a little more variation.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by TimberTykes.
    Attachments:
      JOHN LANNERT
      Participant

Outside of “crunch” fading early in the read and “you” at the end, a good read. Maybe a touch more muscle in the voice?

John Sevier
    Participant

A practice read to get some feedback on how my voice and copy read is developing. My home studio is still very basic, so please ignore tech aspects. I am looking more for feedback on pace, acting, technique, etc. Appreciate the feedback in advance!

Attachments:
      JOHN LANNERT
      Participant

Pleasant voice, good pace and pitch. Your voice faded at “Shakespeare and company,” and the break seemed slightly long between “possible” and “in ways.”

John Sevier
        Participant

Thanks so much for the feedback! Definitely agree with you and will work to improve that. Thanks again

TalVerd
    Participant

Hello all, I’d like some feedback on these reads I did, especially in 4 areas:

Does my read sound conversational?

How is my diction?

How is my pace?

Am I reading my copy with a good flow or do I sound choppy?

TalVerd
      Participant

Okay, looks like I can upload properly now. Same questions as before, any feedback is much appreciated!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by TalVerd.
      Attachments:
        BJ
        Participant

Hi – Of the two, I think Pete’s is stronger. You sound more conversational. I do think you can really play up the first couple of lines where you talk about Marie – have fun with it. In the Corolla spot, it may be just me but I think the beginning was cut off. If it helps, think of having a conversation with a friend about this car – you’re excited and energized when talking about this car. I think you can pick up your pace, especially in the beginning. I’m not a techie, so I can’t offer remedies, but I did notice that your recordings sound cavernous (hoping someone on the Forum can offer some guidance). Looking forward to hearing your next records.

TalVerd
          Participant

thanks for the feedback! I don’t have a studio set up yet, so this was recorded in just a regular room, hence the cavernous effect. I didn’t use a lead in, I think that might help with the beginning pace. Thanks again!

TalVerd
      Participant

It seems my uploads are not working, I’ll contact the education team.

HillOKeefe
    Participant

Hi all! I’d be grateful for any feedback on the attached audition; creative, performance, and technical. I’m working on speeding up my audition process.

Attachments:
      Brandyhart610
      Participant

You sound amazing – voice, delivery & technical!

Earthbul
      Participant

Love your voice and delivery. A little tightening up on some of the pauses maybe but great read ! Sound quality is A+ as well.
      Love to hear more of your work.

HillOKeefe
        Participant

Thanks so much! That encouragement means a lot 🙂 would you mind sharing where in the script the pauses needed tightening? I’ve received similar feedback before but haven’t asked for the examples. Thanks!

suzanne dangler
    Participant

Hello!

I would love some creative feedback on this little snippets. I have a terrible habit of being a speedy talker, so hopefully these aren’t too fast. I’m working my way towards a narration demo, with hopes of audiobook demo shortly after. So, I’ve got a snippet of museum/walking tour audio guide, a snippet of documentary, and a snippet of an original short story.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments:
      suzanne dangler
      Participant

Thank you both! I’ll have to work on reading through things a bit more before recording, to hopefully help with getting it more relaxed and free flowing. 🙂

Brandyhart610
      Participant

Halloween sounded conversational and with lots of inflection inviting the listener to stay connected. Davies and some of Trinity sounded like you were reading from a paper more, with the exception of the transition “walk ahead & meet me at ___”.

Earthbul
      Participant

I thought they were all good reads. Sound quality nit so much but thst’s just technical and easily remedied. Don’t know much about the guided tour styleof read so I can’t really comment on it. Slow down a tad on the doc read and let the listener live in it a little. I really enjoyed the Halloween read. Nice inflections. It never felt like you were just reading words on a page. Take all this with a grain of salt though. I’m by no means a pro at this.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.