Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    mkell755
    Participant

Hello all and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!

Here is a read for your review (recorded on my phone) for any and all feedback. I just went to the eye doctor, so my eye prescription was on my mind. I’m trying for an authentic, believable vibe, let me know if you think it sounds appropriate in tone and delivery for the topic. Thank you!

Mary

Essilor
    There’s nothing as unique as our eyes. Which is why Essilor pioneers ways to make lenses as unique as you. Varilux for super-sharp vision, Essential Blue for protection, and Crizal for freedom from glare. Three cutting-edge solutions in a single unique lens. So, whatever your needs, insist on Essilor. Visit your local Essilor experts and find the perfect lens for you. See more, do more, Essilor.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Mary!

Nice job on varying your pitch, especially with the lists (the three cutting edge solutions). The pacing was good, too, however, there was a pause after “Varilux” not needed. Keep it up!

Kathy

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Kathy, thanks for the feedback, and good to hear that the variation in pitch is appropriate. Agreed on the pause after Varilux, I think I was just trying to emphasize it a little, but it did not also need the slight pause after. Thanks!

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Good read Mary, good pace, tone!!! Hope you had a good christmas.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Robert! Appreciate it. I did have a good Christmas, and hope you did as well!

Mary

Official81
    Participant

Merry Xmas! I recorded 2 more practice scripts for your appreciated feedback. I finally just got into my studio and rerecorded these takes. Thank You Mary and Kathy for trying to help me with converting my files. First Movie Script Lord of the Rings Opening Monologue, which I gave 2 different takes. Please let me know which one sounds best. Second Advil commercial. Script wording follows:

It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf-Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. Deep in the land of Mordor, in the Fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged a master ring in secret, and into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One ring to rule them all.

Muscle aches? Nothing is proven more effective or longer lasting than Advil. For long-lasting relief of muscle aches, count on Advil. In a recent clinical study, Advil was found to work better than Tylenol in relieving the pain of sore muscles the day after exercise. No wonder doctors recommend Advil for muscle aches more than any other non-prescription brand. ADVIL — Advanced medicine for pain.

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hi Official81, You have a very sumptuous quality to your voice which works very well with the opening monologue of “Lord of the Rings” (and I agree with others that the first take is the more immersive, pleasing read of the two you posted—I definitely stopped reading along and just shut my eyes to listen). As far as the Advil spot, again, great quality to your read, just perhaps slow down a bit and try being a bit more conversational in how you convey the the script. It feels a bit like a run-on sentence when you should give yourself—and the listener—the luxury of being totally engaged in hearing all you have to say about the product. Great work!

kfvoice
      Participant

I agree, the first Lord of the Rings script was the better of the two — it had more of a character narration sound to it vs. the second read.

The Advil script had a nice pace. However, be mindful of sounding breathy between sentences.

I hope this was helpful.

Kathy

Official81
        Participant

Thank you so much Kathy! This does help a lot! I have it noted as one of my first questions in my first coaching session tomorrow! I greatly appreciate your help.

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Official81, I agree with Mary that the 1st version was better. You put a lot of character into the story telling and did well doing it.

The advil read was good as well.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Official81, glad you were able to upload! I like script one read the best – it sounds really dark and mysterious, and very interesting to listen to; really draws you in with lots of variation in tone and stretched out words every once in awhile. The second read was ok, but seemed more like it was being read vs. telling the story.

Advil was a good read as well but now I want to hear more mysterious story-telling monologues! Good job with all of these!

Mary

Official81
        Participant

Thank you Mary! I will definitely start to practice more of those mysterious scripts. I really enjoyed that. I’ve always loved to read, and this script really really comes alive.

Robert Broussard
    Participant

Christmas Greeting

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Thank you, too, Robert! I hope you had a Very Merry Christmas!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Robert, thanks for the thanks! I appreciate your feedback too, I think we all do. Thank you and Have a very Merry Christmas yourself! 🙂

Mary

Official81
      Participant

Thank you Robert I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well! This greeting sounded excellent! Warm, rich, and authentic.

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hello there. Here is a corporate explainer narration. Any feedback is appreciated! I need to try and be less “bubbly” and “perky” for corporate so I’m trying to sound more straightforward. Feedback is appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone!!! WE MADE IT – 2021 here we come.

Business Management Software – Corporate Explainer
    Your online business is growing. That’s a good thing. But as orders increase, so do the bottlenecks in business processes.
    To keep growing, you need to do a better job at managing inventory, processing & fulfilling orders and keeping your customers happy – all while expanding into new channels. That’s where business management software comes into play.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Katelyn,

I didn’t think you were perky or bubbly; had enough energy to the read to sound informative. Nice pacing, as well. Good read!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn! Good read! Very direct but friendly and very clear enunciation, I think this is a good genre for you! It did not sound bubbly or perky to me, just upbeat, straightforward and concerned with educating the listener. Good job!

Mary

RichSummersVO
    Participant

Merry Christmas fellow VO actors! Thought I’d share a read I just did for a Pendelton Whiskey demo. Feedback always welcome!
    Hope you all have an amazing holiday and are looking forward to a safe and healthy new year!
    ~Rich

PENDLETON WHISKEY
    The Pendleton Whiskey portfolio, born in the Great Northwest, is a collection of premium spirits whose popularity has grown far beyond its territory of origin. When your history is tied to the Pendleton Round-Up, one of the oldest and most prestigious rodeos in the West, there’s a lot to live up to. Authenticity and quality are more than words on a label. Today, Pendleton Whiskey carries with its name a call to live life to its fullest – savoring adventure, camaraderie and the moments we keep as memories. It’s a distinction we’re proud to have earned.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by RichSummersVO.
    Attachments:
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hey Rich, this must be a stage name because it matches your tone precisely! Rich and thick like molasses. Very nice. Your voice is a dead ringer for this type of product and read. Just lovely!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Rich, Very nice! I really like your deep, richly textured voice, sounds really good for a whiskey commercial. Great clarity and pacing throughout. Very good!

Mary

Official81
    Participant

Merry Xmas Eve All! I recorded 2 more practice scripts for your appreciated feedback. This time recordings were done on my phone outside of my studio. First Movie Script Lord of the Rings Opening Monologue, which I gave 2 different takes. Please let me know which one sound best. Second Advil commercial. Script wording follows:

It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf-Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. Deep in the land of Mordor, in the Fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged a master ring in secret, and into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One ring to rule them all.

Muscle aches? Nothing is proven more effective or longer lasting than Advil. For long-lasting relief of muscle aches, count on Advil. In a recent clinical study, Advil was found to work better than Tylenol in relieving the pain of sore muscles the day after exercise. No wonder doctors recommend Advil for muscle aches more than any other non-prescription brand. ADVIL — Advanced medicine for pain.

Official81
      Participant

I tried to upload recordings from my phone through the Voice Record app on iPhone and none of them came through properly. If anyone has any idea how I can upload using these methods please help. Otherwise I will get this figured out. I shall return!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Official81! I use the Voice Recorder app on my Android. I too email the file to myself (it saves it as a .mp3), save to my computer then upload to the website. Hope this helps!

Mary

kfvoice
        Participant

I used this app on my iPhone when I started out. What I did was I emailed the file (mp3) to myself, saved the file to my computer, and then uploaded to the website. It’s not a direct upload, I know, but I did not have any issues.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

Official81
          Participant

Thank you so much! How do I email it as an MP3 file?

kfvoice
          Participant

To tag on to what Mary mentioned… this is what steps I took for the iPhone app:

1) Click on the voice recording from your app; you will see a bunch of options. (I’ve attached an image if this helps.)

2) When you choose “send as email”, the next prompt will be if you want to send the file as an “audio” or “movie”. Send as audio.

3) Last step… pick “email attachment”, and enter your address.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

Attachments:
          mkell755
          Participant

Hey there! Mine has a “share” icon in the app for individually recorded items, so I email it from there to myself.

Mary

kfvoice
    Participant

Hi all! I am giving it another go, and trying another wildlife read — this time with Flying Squirrels.

Appreciate any feedback, but, I am specifically looking for feedback on pacing and pitch. More emphasis on northern flying squirrels is probably needed?
    I am aware that “but”, “distances”, and “this” didn’t come out clearly. (Any others?)

This is my last audio upload for the week, as I will be taking a little break, but I will be back later in the weekend to give feedback.

To those who celebrate, I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Kathy

Flying Squirrel

(Nature on PBS: How the Flying Squirrel Soars)

A nocturnal member of the squirrel family searches for fungi, its favorite food. But fungi are spread in random patches throughout the forest and the squirrel has to cover large distances to find them. So this squirrel has evolved a special talent – it flies! The northern flying squirrel is just six inches long and weighs the same as a typical smartphone. Yet it can leap almost 150 feet between trees.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Kathy – great read! This is one of the best reads I have heard from you! It flowed very well, was relaxed and also conversational, which made it fun to listen to and be educated by. And now I am picturing a smartphone-sized squirrel flying through the air 🙂 I liked the pacing and pitch throughout, very good!

Merry Christmas, we’ll see you when you get back.

Mary

kfvoice
        Participant

As always, I thank you for the feedback, Mary! I Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Kathy

mkell755
          Participant

You are welcome Kathy! Yes, we had a good Christmas – a little smaller this year, but still very good 🙂

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

Nice work on this documentary style read! I think you were able to hold at least in my opinion the listeners attention well and additionally I could hear your smile in this as well, thanks for sharing this and good luck!

kfvoice
        Participant

Thank you very much, R! I appreciate it!

Kathy

mkell755
    Participant

Hi everyone! Trying something different for me. 2 scripts, more in the character’s voice (and on my phone). Let me know what you think – believable for one or both? Thanks!

Mary

Million Dollar Baby – Maggie Fitzgerald
    I’m 32, Mr. Dunn. And I’m here celebratin’ the fact that I spent another year scrapin’ dishes and waitressin’ which is what I’ve been doin’ since 13. And according to you, I’ll be 37 ‘fore I can even throw a decent punch, which I have to admit, after workin’ on this speed bag for a month and getting nowhere, may be the G*d’s simple truth. Other truth is, my brother’s in prison, my sister cheats on welfare by pretendin’ one of her babies is still alive, my daddy’s dead, and my momma weighs 312 pounds. If I was thinkin’ straight, I’d go back home, find a used trailer, buy a deep fryer and some Oreos.
    Problem is, this is the only thing I ever felt good doin’. If I’m too old for this, then I got nothin’. That enough truth to suit you?

Terminator 2 – Judgment Day – Sarah Connor
    Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The Terminator would never stop, it would never leave him. And it would never hurt him, never shout at him or get d***k and hit him or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there and it would die to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Very well done, Mary!

I know of, but have never seen either of these movies. With that said, the delivery of the scripts flowed well.

Script 1: Nice pace; varying your pitch, and really getting into character! (I do know Hilary Swank was awesome in this movie — Hello, Oscar!)
      Script 2: Very relaxed, natural, tone. (I am least familiar with the Terminator movies, so I am not sure of the character history.)

I hope this feedback is helpful!

Kathy

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Kathy! It’s interesting to take on the role of another character for me, having not come from the acting world. It is fun however! I have not seen Million Dollar Baby (mainly because I heard it has a sad ending), but I heard that Hillary did a fantastic job. The Terminator movies are so fun, if you like sci-fi and the perennial good vs. evil battle. I highly recommend! I always wanted to be Sarah Connor growing up – she’s a super tough bad*** 🙂

Mary

RYoung
      Participant

Million Dollar Baby, great job on this, now your someone else and it sounds more relaxing and realistic!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi RYoung, thanks for the feedback! Thanks for the suggestion to try different characters, it definitely helps bring out a different feel to the read. Glad too that it sounds like it could be realistic. Thanks!

Mary

SLJones
      Participant

Hi Mary! Ah, Million Dollar Baby- great film and great take on this script. Love the accent, and the fact that you make it very clear that the “g’s” at the ends of words are to be dropped deliberately. One super tiny thing- I think there should be a slight pause between “baby’s still alive, and my daddy’s dead.” Right now, those sound like one thing instead of two. Great job! Is this your natural accent, or one of the ones you can affect?

mkell755
        Participant

Hi SLJones, thanks for the feedback! I agree too that there should be a slight pause after “baby’s still alive”, good catch. This is not my natural accent, but one I’ve heard and can somewhat mimic, at least for a script like this that has some emotion involved. Thanks again!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi there! Here is a script I wrote for my upcoming demo narration coaching. It is a corporate training video. I chose old navy because I think my voice fits their “fun, natural, all ages” brand. Any feedback is appreciated!

Employee Training eLearning
    Congratulations on your new career at Old Navy. This employee training video is designed to help our new employees have a better understanding of our company policies, best practices, and the benefits we offer. Click on the green arrow to access the first module.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn! Great read! Very good upbeat energy, flow and clarity for the script. I agree that your voice fits the energy of Old Navy very well – good job!

Mary

L.Renee
    Participant

Your honest opinion is very much needed for my growth 🙂

“The Truth About Fairies”

Do you believe in fairies? They are not as friendly as once thought. First they bite. It feels like a little pick; a sting on the skin. When it begins to glow, that is what you have to be careful of. Then you’re in for quite a rush, my dear boy. You see, their glittery skin, their sprinkling wings, and glowing smiles – it’s all just a trick; and they love to play tricks, especially on the ones that are fond of them. You think we are evil?… we are devilish, these little girls (if you choose to call them that) are much more darker than we.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by L.Renee. Reason: (file size too large)
    Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi L Renee! I liked this read! Your voice has a nice rich texture. Great variation in tone and pace of the script which then created a creepy vibe about fairies. Well done!

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.