Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    mkell755
    Participant

Good evening all! Here is a recording for any and all feedback. Working on smiling more during this type of read. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Mary

Healthy Choice
    Want a lunch that keeps cravings away? Dig into a protein-packed meal that powers your day. With 26 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber. Healthy Choice power bowls. Find us in the freezer aisle.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Amitofu
      Participant

good! but maybe needs a little more energy. A variation I would try is “[…] meal that powers YOUR day.”
      Even if you over-do it and sound like an infomercial salesman, understanding that inflection will give you a contrast of the middle-ground you want to find. Practicing doing things to the extreme tone (in both directions) helps organize the range of voices I DO want to use, even if I never use the extreme voice itself.

Hope that makes sense, haha. Keep at it.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Amitofu! I will work on my energy on this one. I like the emphasis on “…YOUR day”, I will try that. I will work on overdoing it too; it sounds like much more in my head when I’m saying it but like you say, it is easier to dial it back than ramp it up. Good tips. Thank you!

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Good job on that one Mary!

mkell755
        Participant

Thank you Robert!

Mary

adebenedicts95
      Participant

I think it sounds really good.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Ade!

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Good job, Mary!

I could hear the smile, but it seemed to fad a bit with the last two sentences. Otherwise, it had a good pace, and pitch variations. Keep it up!

Kathy

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Kathy! I’m glad you could hear the smile in that one. Not sure why it sounded faded out at the end, I may have moved around while recording. Thanks!

Mary

kfvoice
          Participant

To clarify — it “sounded” like your smile faded towards the end, not necessarily the volume. Does that make sense?

Kathy

mkell755
          Participant

Hi Kathy, yes, I hear that the smile faded slightly, thanks for the clarification. Thanks!

Mary

MatthewCarrAnderson
    Participant

These are two Narration files I created based on assignment from my coach. Feedback is appreciated.

Attachments:
      adebenedicts95
      Participant

Your Voice fits the scripts really nicely. Your voice sounds informative but interesting. Thumbs Up.

kfvoice
      Participant

Hello Matthew! Nice job! Your tone fits both scripts very well. Clear reads, and good pitch variation in each. Keep it up! — Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Matthew, good reads! Your voice sounds really good for narration – very warm and rich and easy to listen to. Good pacing and enunciation throughout, with good variation in tones, very good!

Mary

monibr16
    Participant

Hello!

This is a practing recording for my coaching session, using my phone. Focusing on my:
    -mico-pauses
    -workable lead-ins
    -point of view/audience clear

And all other feed back welcome, thank you so much!

Trendi.com
    Trendi.com. It’s the #1 shopping site for top name brands at up to 75% off. Great style, great value and everything ships free. Trendi.com. Everything you love, for less.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

monibr16 — nice job on the lead in! With that said, to add on to what Mary mentioned, your lead in was lacking enthusiasm. Sound more excited with “Oh, Trendi.com”, as that is what you are promoting, so it needs to stand out — you did a great job with this at the end (where your smile was evident).

Overall, good read! Keep it up!

Kathy

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Monibr16! I liked the lead in and the micropauses and pacing of the read. It did not sound very excited for the topic however. “…up to 75% off” and “…everything ships free” were very somber in tone, almost downplayed as if they were not important things to mention. I did hear the smile in your voice towards the end, which was great. Keep it up!

Mary

Robert Broussard
    Participant

He is a re-do of yesterday changing it some from feedback. Please let me know if is any better. The first file is yesterday and second is today. Thanks, I appreciate it.

He has a 160 IQ, performs cardiac surgery for a living. And now, he can even operate his home entertainment system. Introducing Harvey Home Theater. It’s so sophisticated, it’s simple. Dimensions of sight and sound unheard of, until now. All at your fingertips. Now, if he could only operate the microwave. Home Theater from Harvey, not your ordinary electronics store. Call for the Harvey near you.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Much better, Robert! Nice improvement!

To me, it sounded like there should of been more of a break between the first and second sentences. Were you further away from the mic in the second read, or was the volume lower?

Good job!

Kathy

Robert Broussard
        Participant

Yes further away a little to keep clipping down a little.

Thanks

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Robert, very nice! I think the second read was definitely improved from the first – more variation in tone throughout, more relaxed and conversational, and also good emphasis on the “Now if he could only operate the microwave” with a chuckle, that was great, really helped it stand out. Great progress on this one!

Mary

JohnFinn
      Participant

Wow- great work with the prior suggestions, one can hear the difference- it sounds great! There are a couple pauses that could use tightening with breathe control in recording or on the editing side. One example might be at the “…sight and sound unheard of,…” there’s a longer pause than maybe necessary between “sound” and “unheard of”. Again, great gains in your recordings from feedback!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by JohnFinn.
    SacScotty
    Participant

Hello and Happy New Year! This is my first effort for 2021. Please provide feedback on all aspects of this endeavor.
    Script:
    Most of us know there are ways we can improve… to be healthier… happier… more effective…
    but knowing how to improve is a different matter. Without guidance, we often simply stay the same.
    Welcome to Weelearn – a platform where well-known experts and authors can help you get stronger in all areas of your life. Using the Weelearn video library, you can protect your body, strengthen your mind and spirit, become a more positive influence in your relationships, pursue success more confidently at work, and so much more.
    Our experts are taken from fields of hard science, like psychology, but also areas of broader wisdom, like spirituality. And with videos broken up into digestible parts, and supplemented by exercises and games, the next step to your best self is truly only a few clicks away.

Don’t be stuck in life, love, work – or anything! Try Weelearn for yourself today.
    Weelearn – learning through watching.

Thanks!
    Scott

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Scott! Really good job. You have a nice warm tone and good pacing throughout. Nice authoritative tone and variation on key words, this is a good genre for you. Very good!

Mary

SacScotty
        Participant

Hi Mary: The feedback is much appreciated!!

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Scotty!

Very good! I love the tone of your voice! Good pacing and enunciation. Be mindful of sounding breathy between sentences. Otherwise, good job! Keep it up!

Kathy

SacScotty
        Participant

Hi Kathy: Thanks for the feedback. I am working on editing out the breath sound with the noise-gate on Audacity. Looks like that needs a little more attention. I really appreciate the comments!
        Scotty

JohnFinn
    Participant

Hello! This is a read for practice, I’m just starting in VO training. Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you for listening as well as your constructive feedback!

Script:
    What Monet found in Venice, according to Mirbeau, was a chance to renew himself by tackling the preconceived images of Venice. He no longer hoped to conquer the light, only to “glide” on the surface of the canvas, in the same way that light glides over things or in the same way that “the most intelligent dancer translates a feeling.” Monet’s Venise was celebrated, almost unanimously, as one of the great feats in the history of painting. Up to that point, Monet had never been so unreservedly lauded. The irony is that soon after World War I these much praised Venetian images fell into oblivion, no longer eliciting the sort of praise they had obtained when first exhibited.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi John, really nice read! Welcome to the forum. I really like the warm soothing tone in your voice, it is really good for this genre. Pacing and enunciation were good.

I agree with Kathy on checking the pronunciation of Monet. There is also an artist Manet, and since they are both artists, someone in the art world would notice this. (Your pronunciation sounded more like Manet to me). Really good work, I look forward to hearing more!

Mary

JohnFinn
        Participant

Thank you! I sheepishly admit that I watched a British lecture about Monet’s Venice and thought I was onto a fancy pronunciation. Lesson learned…

mkell755
          Participant

No problem John! I had a little art history as part of my education and because of that it stood out, but the Brits have their own way of pronouncing things altogether, so I completely understand! 🙂

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Very nice, John! Welcome!

You have a great voice for biography/documentary; warm and welcoming. Your pacing, I thought, was good. Be mindful of pausing in your read where it’s not build into the script. The one thing that really stood out to me was the pronunciation of “Monet”. I have included a link for reference.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Monet

I hope this helps!

Kathy

JohnFinn
        Participant

Thanks! Could you note the words on either end of those pauses you noticed? I’d definitely like to get used to hearing those in my reads. Thanks again!

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all and Happy New Year! Here is a recording (recorded on my phone) for any and all feedback. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mary

WGU
    It’s here – the moment that will define you. So think of this moment as your moment – the one you’ve been waiting for. You were built for this and so were we. WGU – the online university where ambition never rests.

Attachments:
      SacScotty
      Participant

Hi Mary: Nice work here. The pace is just right. The word, “moment” sounds a little indistinct on the end syllable. Also, I would hit “WGU” a little harder. Maybe a longer pause before and after, and more emphasis on the letters. Otherwise, a solid read.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi SacScotty, thanks for the feedback! I will work on making moment stand out a little more, and also the letters WGU. Thank you!

Mary

monibr16
      Participant

Great Job Mary! Good timing and very clear. But maybe connecting to the messege of the piece. It seems like an exciting moment. Maybe add a smile here and there and see how that feels? But over all nice and controlled!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Monibr16! I’ll work on getting the smile feel on this moment, which I agree is meant to seem exciting. Appreciate it!

Mary

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

It feels “read”, like I don’t know who you are speaking to with this. Your diction is fine, and you have a nice tone to your voice, but I don’t hear you connecting with the words. I guess start with who you are and who you are speaking to…bring the acting into it more.

Good job, look forward to hearing more!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Brian, thanks for the feedback! I will work on connecting with the script a little more. I was picturing a colleague, an older student who is going back to finish their degree that I see potential in to be more and that I want to encourage, but it is hard for me to make it sound that way to others. Thank you!

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

I think you did a awesome job on that one Mary.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks Robert! Appreciate it 🙂

Mary

FCabral
    Participant

Hello!
    I’m trying to figure out the pacing for medical narration, I appreciate any and all feedback!

“Phytophotodermatitis is a nonimmunologic phototoxic cutaneous eruption resulting from contact with photosensitizing substances found in plants; furocoumarins (present in limes and other plants) are typically implicated and get activated following exposure to sunlight, especially 320-400 nanometer UVA rays.”

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi FCabral – very nice read. Your voice is deep and calm, and very clear for this genre. The pacing seemed very appropriate to allow the listener to listen and understand. Good job!

Mary

kfvoice
      Participant

Hi FCabral!

The pacing sounded good to me. The read was clear, too, and your voice is suited for medical narration, with a warm vocal delivery.

I hope this is helpful!

Kathy

BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

More commercial practice…right now, the things I’m really working on:
    – pacing: trying to not rush without slowing down so much that it bogs down the “natural” tone of the read
    – connecting/being specific with who I’m talking to, where we are, why I’m talking
    – not hitting the conjunctions hard…I tend, for some reason, to really hit the “and” and the “or” in lists harder than needs be, and I’m trying to do these lists in a way that give contrast but don’t emphasize the conjunctions so that the list flows.

Here are the three scripts (tried going out of my comfort zone for one of them):

Wet/Dry Vac
    It’s not that you’d ever find yourself removing puddles from a remote mountain trail…
    But with a full size, cordless, wet-dry vac…you could.
    Powerful,… durable…and the ability to run on two batteries for double the run time.

Venus Spa Breeze
    Every Goddess deserves a little more me time. So there’s new 2 in 1 Venus Spa Breeze. The only razor with lathering shave gel bars infused with a soft fresh scent of white tea. Now you can easily smooth your skin while indulging your sense. Just wet, shave, and relax. Venus Spa Breeze. Reveal the Goddess in you.

Spotify
    With Spotify, it’s easy to find the right music for every moment – on your phone, your computer, your tablet and more. There are millions of tracks on Spotify. So whether you’re working out, partying or relaxing, the right music is always at your fingertips. Soundtrack your life with Spotify. Subscribe or listen for free.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Hi Brian!

I have been trying to get my feedback to you posted, but I had some issues with the forum.

Overall: Nice reads. Good job on pitch and tone variations.

Script 1: In the opening line, you changed the read, from: It’s not that you’d… to It’s not like you’d…. I am not sure if I would go up in pitch at the ends of the sentences, considering they are not questions, but with that said, it is a different delivery that seems to stand out from the expected. At the same time, the pace/tone on this read sounded the best in your third sentence (at least to me).

Script 2: I liked the delivery. Good tone and pacing. Watch for micro-pausing not intended — noticed a slight break in your third sentence.

Script 3: I, too, liked this read the best. Maybe a little more variation in your first set of lists?: on your phone, your computer, your tablet and more. (I did catch an added “on”; just be mindful of this — I think it’s common to do when trying to sound as natural as possible.)

I hope this is helpful! I believe we have the same vocal coach, and I am working on some of the same things you are practicing.

Keep it up! Good job!

Kathy

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by kfvoice.
      SacScotty
      Participant

Hi Brian:

These are all very well done. Nothing to add for #1. For #2 (Venus…) more emphasis on the word “me” in “me time.” Also, the words “wet” and “shave” are a little too close together. I would add a pause between all three actions, “wet,” “shave,” and “relax”. These are all top quality so these might be nits. Good job!!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Brian, good reads for all! I think the pacing was good for all, and I did not notice any conjunctions being hit hard at all. I was also trying to imagine who your audience was for all 3. I struggle with having a specific listener myself. Also, since you naturally speak quickly, have you tried a car commercial? Those seem to put a lot of information in a short time slot – as long as you can speak very clearly (like I am hearing here) I think it would be a good fit for you too.

Script 1: I liked the tone of this, like you were telling a friend about why they should use the product. Very authentic feel.

Script 2: I think this one was the one that outside your comfort zone (right?), but you did well varying your tone to be much softer to reflect the product. My guess is your were telling your wife / girlfriend about the product?

Script 3: I like this one the best for you of these 3 – it is spoken with a quick pace but is very clear and appropriate for Spotify. The last time Spotify is mentioned I think could be emphasized a little more, it gets really quiet on that word. This one feels targeted to a friend or nephew / younger relative, again, very authentic feel. I hope that helps – good job!

Mary

BrianWigginsVO
        Participant

Hi Mary…I do have a car commercial that we’re working on, but not the speed reading part about financing and all that (or like in every pharmaceutical ad where they list all of the side effects), we’re focusing more on the different tones and “characters” I can offer up.

I’ll say that I struggled a little with who I was supposed to be speaking with on #3 as well, so that’s probably why it came through that way. And yes, I need to work on hitting the branding without using a sledge hammer.

mkell755
          Participant

Hi Brian, good deal. It sounds really good overall!

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Bryan, All good reads. I think the Spotify read was best and very well suited with your voice too. Very good changing your tone on all three reads.

touzet
    Participant

John Deere – “Shortcuts” spot from the library here…

Attachments:
      touzet
      Participant

Thanks for giving it a listen and the kind words.

monibr16
      Participant

Hey Touzet! This was amazing! All of it. Very belivable. This character/genre is perfect for your voice!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Touzet, really nice read and musical production! Your voice is very deep, warm and unhurried, which feels very appropriate for this genre. Very good!

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.