Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi there! Here is a commercial script – it has been a minute since I posted a commercial 🙂 Any feedback is appreciated!

Katelyn

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn, good read! It sounded nice and straightforward and conversational as well as educational. Good pacing and enthusiasm throughout. Very good!

Mary

mkell755
    Participant

Good evening all! Here is a recording (done on my phone) for any and all feedback. Working on lead-ins to help create a more conversational approach. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mary

How To Read Music

Reading music is often seen as some sort of mysterious ancient puzzle or complicated foreign language, but it doesn’t have to be that way! The easy-to-follow lessons and companion CD in “How to Read Music” will show you how to decode those little black dots, and in a short time, you’ll be surprised how fluent you’ve become!

Attachments:
      Beckolin
      Participant

Hi mkell755…and first of all, thanks for your feedback on my Milne poem!
      With the goals you’ve set out, I think you’re on a great path. The lead-in was perfect, and I think set your pace nicely. You have (to my ear) found a great, casual, conversational tone. The raise in pitch (whatever the term is for making something sound like a question) periodically reminded me of the youthful, millennial style that’s popular now. Just make sure you’re creating that effect intentionally. One example I can point out is “complicated foreign language,” which sounded like a question before the comma. Also, make sure you’re not skipping too quickly over words that deserve a little more time. “Little” in “little black dots” got pretty well swallowed up by the words around it. But really effective read, I thought!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Beckolin! You are welcome for the feedback on your poem, it was really well done!

Good to hear that it sounded casual and conversational. I feel like this would be the approach I would take to get a friend more interested in trying to read music, by intentionally varying my tone to keep it casual and not formal. I have been told that I have a tendency to “up-talk” which is raising the tone like a question at the end of a sentence, so I need to continue to work on that. I see how I sped up “little black dots” to be too fast; should have slowed down a bit there to match the rest of the pace, good catch. Very helpful, thanks for the comments!

Mary

monibr16
    Participant

Hello guys,
    Here’s a some commercial practice, all feedback welcome. Thank you!

Berry Burst
    Thank you for calling General Mills. While we connect you with someone who can help, let’s talk about Cheerios and fruit!… Yeah you heard that right! Fruit, real fruit! It’s Berry Burst Cheerios. Wish you had same while on hold?

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

That’s a lovely read! Lots of engaging energy and the perfect amount of effortless “smile” in your delivery. Great work!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Monibr16! Good job on this one. Your voice sounded nice and light with good energy and appropriate for an on-hold voice. The word “while” was missed, not a big deal for practice but just something to watch for in future reads. Keep it up!

Mary

Beckolin
    Participant

Hello Forum Friends,
    I’m working on some public domain stuff…mostly for my own edification and practice. I’d love to get your input on interpretation and recording quality. I feel like my mouth has been really wet lately, which makes for more editing than I like. This would be especially challenging if I start doing longer format material! Meanwhile, here’s a poem by A. A. Milne…”Disobedience.”
    Thank you!

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

That was a complete and utter delight! Whimsical with an effortless command of such a complicated text! Very immersive with the various character voices and all conveyed with such a light, inviting touch. More please! 😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by rogue1.
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hi Beckolin!

This is a delightful read! I really enjoyed your variety and confidence in doing such interesting voices. Some parts felt a little fast for me with the complicated tongue twistery parts. I can’t say too much about audiobook type reads because I don’t have training in that, but overall I really liked it.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Beckolin – wow, very nice pleasant read! Excellent pacing and I agree great variety in the character voices! Nice rhyming patterns throughout – I found myself looking forward to the next “James James Morrison Morrison…” Very well done! You have a really nice and warm story-telling voice. Very good!

Mary

monibr16
      Participant

This was such a great story time read. SO much variety with the character voices. I would just say take more time with the rhymes. But I was entertained the whole time!

rogue1
    Participant

Happy New Year, everyone!

Just a quick stab at a character read (my apologies to the class at Ridgemont High):

Thanks for taking the time to listen!

“Dude! Go back to high school without REALLY going back to high school? Gnarly! It’s the ‘Back To School Movie Marathon’ Sunday, August 29th only on AMC.”

Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Rogue1, this read was a lot of fun. Listening to this clip put a big smile on my face, and made me break out my checkered black and white slip on Vans. The energy was really good. The only critique I have is “REALLY” and “AMC” should have been hit more. But overall this was fun, good job.

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you, Erik B! Great feedback–and great taste in footwear (my Vans were black and red checkers). Will work on getting more emphasis on “really” and the all-important client’s name!

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

LOL you actually made me laugh out loud. I like this character, great work. Felt very natural and engaging… and silly 🙂

rogue1
        Participant

Ha-ha! Thank you! Appreciate your taking the time to listen—-glad the read made you laugh!

Beckolin
      Participant

This was just flat-out fun! Thank you 🙂
      Only tweak I would consider is looking at how you break up the last sentence…it sounded like 4 separate sentences: “Back to school movie marathon. Sunday. August 29th. Only on AMC.” If you can smooth that out without losing your surfer dude persona, it would be flawless.

rogue1
        Participant

Aw shucks! Thank you for the feedback! Definitely an art in hitting certain words and still keeping a smooth, natural reading (fer shur!)

mkell755
      Participant

Hey Rogue1 – that was great! I loved it and it was spot on for Spicoli. I too think you could emphasize / stretch out “REALLY” a little bit more. The laugh at the end was great. Good job!

Mary

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you, Mary! Glad I managed to channel my inner Spicoli (just don’t tell Mr. Hand) Will definitely work on hitting those key words.

monibr16
      Participant

This was GREAT! It just flowed right out.

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you! All those days loafing at the video arcade are paying off! 😉

svenbot5000
      Participant

I was hoping for a Bill and Ted styled read and you did not disappoint! Since there seems to be a big emphasis on “REALLY” in the script, I think you could hang on that word a little bit longer. Great job!

rogue1
        Participant

Thanks, Svenbot5000! Glad the read met your expectations—will (totally) be sure to lean into emphasizing “really”, I hear the distinction now that everyone kindly pointed it out.

ThomasGreene
    Participant

Practice Read – Cafe Vienna Coffee Commercial
    Practice Read – Lender’s Bagels Commercial

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Thomas! Good reads! The pacing and flow of both scripts was good. Your voice is nice and authoritative.

Cafe Vienna seemed a little somber to me – the script seems like it has more of a daydream vibe vs. a serious vibe. I would think the tone should be a little softer / reflective maybe?

For Lender’s bagels I liked it better, but I think you could go even bigger, with more enthusiasm and variation in pitch throughout the script, it sounded a little monotone to me (I have to push myself in this area as well). Keep it up!

Mary

Toque
    Participant

Hi again all. Another practice script. This one just taken from the Edge Script Library. As always, appreciate any feedback on any and all aspects of the read/recording. Thanks! Toque

Progressive Insurance

Every year James Ward buys his mom the same birthday cake. But this
    year, James switched to Progressive auto insurance. And if they can
    shake things up by letting you compare competitors rates and over 20
    other facts and figures-then maybe he too should swing for the fences.
    Nice work James. Think easier. Think Progressive.

Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Toque, I liked this read. The tone variation throughout the read was great. Also the read had a good pace to it. Good job.

John Trape
      Participant

Hi Toque,

Fully agree with Mary’s feedback. I decided to listen, without following the script. Your calm, engaging delivery held my attention, and I wanted to hear what you had to say.
      A very nice way to start the day!

Kind regards,

John

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Toque, nice work! I liked this one a lot. Great enthusiasm, enunciation and tone variation throughout. Good smile in your voice and emphasis on Progressive. Good job!

Mary

mrgenadry
    Participant

Hi there, folks. My first ever recording post. Let me know what you think. Have a great 2021!

Benjamin Moore – “Love”

This may sound trite, or cliche.
    And maybe if we were talking about chocolate and flowers, it would be.
    But we’re talking about paint, so hear us out.
    Love is an amazing thing. It has the power to change everything.
    A love of craft can turn work and labor into an act of creative expression.
    Love can make you see past obvious flaws in a facade, to the beauty underneath.
    Love can turn a pair of hands into a set of tools.
    Love can turn pigment and polymers into magical liquid.
    Love can turn a house into a home.
    And turn a bunch of homes into a community.
    Love can transform. And when you want your love to transform a home…
    There is no other paint than Benjamin Moore.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by mrgenadry.
    Attachments:
      John Trape
      Participant

Hi MrGenadry! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your recording and then absorbing Mary’s and Toque’s observations. A particularly useful exercise for me, being new to the game, so to speak. I felt that you had really spent time interpreting the script, and that you knew exactly how you wished to connect with your intended audience. You should be pretty pleased!

Kind regards,

John

mkell755
      Participant

Hi MrGenadry! Welcome to the forum! This is a good genre for you. You have a nice warm voice and good enunciation. I liked the pauses throughout too, helps the listener consider what is being said. I agree with Toque in that the word “love” because it repeated so many times might be good to vary up in tone now and then. Overall really good. keep up the good work!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Hi there! You have a good voice for this kind of read! Audio quality sounded fine to me. Just a few other comments: 1) If the script says “talking, and not “talkin'”, you may want to consider fully pronouncing it. Of course it’s hard to say without any direction added to the script.2) Because the word “Love” is repeated a number of times, you may want to consider some slight variation in how each is delivered. I believe you made a change for the last one, but the others sounded very similar. 3) In the second-last line, the pause between the words “transform” and “And” feels overly long. Great work! Hope this helps. Toque

chas82
    Participant

Happy & Safe New Year to all !! It’s been a little while but now I’m back in the saddle. My current focus is on whiskey Commercials. I’m starting with two I found for Jack Daniel’s. Still working on creating the recording space but any and all feedback appreciated.

JD #1
    In Lynchburg, Tennessee, you can park in the middle of the road to talk with a neighbor about taxes or the weather. You can pick enough wild blackberries to fill a tin bucket. And you can see a distillery where Jack Daniel made whiskey way back in 1866. We still make it in a slow, deliberate fashion, much as he did. One sip, and you’ll be glad to know we don’t ever plan to stop. Jack Daniel’s … smooth sippin’ Tennessee whiskey.

JD#2
    Giving the right gift is easy. Just follow these simple steps.
    First, pick up a bottle of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey.
    Now, the size ya choose depends on who it’s for. Say, your boss, a friend or a brother.
    Second, get some wrapping paper and ribbon. It’s kinda like wrappin’ a tennis racket. They’re gonna know what it is, but that’s part of the charm.
    And last, and most important, step three. Be there when they open it.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Chas – really nice! I like the deep rasp and range in your voice, it is perfect for a whiskey commercial. Nice variation in tone throughout for both scripts and really nice pacing and enunciation too. Good smile in your voice. Good job!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Hi Chas. Script #1 was great. The only thing I noted was (and this may just be my ears) but in the first 2 seconds of the recording it kinda sounded like it started at one volume and then jumped up to something a tad louder? Script # 2 sounded great. Whisky ads area great choice for your voice. Toque

chas82
        Participant

Thanks Toque. You have a fine ear. I clipped the first 2 seconds and pasted in a re-do. Thought I had a good match but apparently not that good. Appreciate your feedback. – Chas

SuperLuke
    Participant

Good to be back everyone and happy New Year! I’ve got a new microphone and was wondering how my performance and recording quality are. I’m really trying to eliminate the unwanted humming and hissing from my previous performances.

All feedback welcome

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Luke! I too am having a hard time hearing almost anything, except a few words that are louder than the others now and then, with volume on max. Can you try re-recording and reloading?

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

Yes, I can resubmit this recording. Sorry if you can’t hear anything, neither could I. It’s the microphones positioning and whether I was super close vs. farther away. I’ll fix that and resubmit.
        Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

Toque
      Participant

Hi Luke. The recording volume is super-low. I can barely hear that there’s someone talking. Toque

SuperLuke
        Participant

Hey guys! Sorry the volume was so low in my previous practice demo. Here is a fresh version of it that I recorded with the AT2020 at another angle. All feedback is appreciated.

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.