Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    burdahgirl
    Participant

Practice Script from the Edge Library. I’d love any feedback, THANKS!

American Express
    Do you know me? Probably not. In my business, recognition is always important, but when I’m buying goods online I prefer a little privacy. With Private Payments from American Express, I get the security of a unique number created for each business transaction I make. Because my private information is my business, and American Express keeps it that way.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdagirl, very good! The variation in tone and the pacing were great. It sounded very natural and authentic for this script. I liked the emphasis on Private Payments as it appears to me like it’s the highlighted product / point of the commercial. Very good job!

Mary

Erik B
      Participant

Hi Burdahgirl. The pacing of your read was very good. I noticed the overemphasis on “private payments”. To help “get out of your head” step away from the mic, before reading a sentence with a troublesome word or words, raise your arms to your side and take two deep breathes, then go back to the mic and deliver the line. Overall good job.

mrgenadry
      Participant

Really good read! One thing that’s helped me with commercial copy is to imagine the script as the middle of the conversation, not the beginning. Either you’re telling someone something they don’t know, or they’ve just told you something with which you disagree. This can elevate your excitement and increase the energy of the read.

In this case, I would imagine that you’re making small talk with a new client about a recent experience with identity theft. They’ve heard of Private Payments, but they thought it sounded like BS. So the question “Do you know me?” can be a little more authoritative; you both already know the answer is no. Then, accent the contrast: “In my BUSINESS, recognition is always important.” Changing that opening motivation might help you keep the urgency up throughout the read.

Best of luck!

SuperLuke
      Participant

Good performance and recording quality. It can get better though. When you say “private payments”, I hear you stepping out of character, forcing the “P” sound. hope this was a helpful critique

burdahgirl
        Participant

Thanks, that is helpful. I struggle so hard with my plosive ‘p’s and was attempting to not have them pop so much. But I totally agree they sound weird. Thanks for the critique!

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a recording (done on my phone) for any and all feedback. Let me know what you think. Thank you!!

Mary

Shelly’s Interiors
    Are there times when you feel like you live in a boring, grey box? Well, it’s time to break out of the crypt with a fresh coat of paint and interior decorating services from Shelly’s Interiors!

Within hours, your home will be transformed to reflect your tastes. Don’t know what your taste is? No problem. Shelly’s Interiors has a wide array of styles in their portfolio to choose from, including Modern Chic, Urban Elegance, and Rural Escape.

To get a preview, visit Shelleysinteriors.com. From there you can browse styles, then give us a call at 555-5455 or send us an email from the website to set up a consultation. Shelly’s Interiors – turning houses into homes since 1990.

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hi Mary, there’s a real warmth to your voice which I find very appealing. Continue to expand upon that lovely sincerity by perhaps leaning into an even more conversational in your delivery (more like a chat with a friend than a read from a script—-a naturalness I’m working to perfect myself). As others mentioned, I do hear a technical hum in the background, but a solid read! Definitely have the perfect aural temperament for the client.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Rogue1, thanks for your feedback! Yes, I am definitely working on making the performance sound more conversational, will continue to work on that. Thanks again!

Mary

burdahgirl
      Participant

Hey Mary! I haven’t been on the forum for a few weeks – you are CRUSHING the smile in the voice! Congrats!!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Burdahgirl, thank you for your feedback! I’m glad you can tell a difference!! Progress – YEAH! 🙂

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

Hi Mary, aside from the ringing sound by your phone, you were able to record yourself pretty good. But I think you can perform better than that. Let the smile be in your voice and don’t force anything in or hold you back from creating the perfect performance

mkell755
          Participant

Thanks for the feedback SuperLuke! Yes, I’m starting to work on the setup in my studio, I never noticed the buzzing / humming of the fan on my computer until I started voiceover! I will continue to work on the smile in my voice and pushing the performance more, just trying to not cross the line of ridiculousness! Sounds like I have a ways to go 🙂 Thank you!

Mary

ChristyPark
    Participant

Hello all!

I’d love feedback on this Physical Therapy VO audition. There are 60 1-2 min spots like this and it would be super to contribute! I recorded in my newly tech approved in home booth. Thanks for your insight.

Attachments:
      burdahgirl
      Participant

Hey Christy! Great voice, I agree with Mary, you have an awesome voice for this genre. The setup sounded good, although there was a little hum through my headphones. I don’t know enough about sound to know if it was an issue on my end, though! The read was fantastic, and I could absolutely imagine doing PT with that recording. Question: is the breathing instructive in the read? Like something the patient should do with you? The breathing was very noticeable so I thought maybe it was meant to be included. If it is not instructive, I might silence some of them, especially the one at the beginning. I’m a noob, so take all of that with a grain of salt!

ChristyPark
        Participant

Thanks so much, I took the breaths out before submitting. I appreciate this feedback!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Christy, you have a great voice for this genre. It sounded calm and reassuring. I’m not fully set up yet with my studio but the sound quality sounds good on my end. Good job!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

Good recording quality. I like your voice in the performance. I don’t know what the director of the audition wants. But you would do well in this field as a physical therapist

svenbot5000
    Participant

Howdy ya’ll! Back at it again, I just wanted to read this one because it looked stupid. I’d love any feedback!

Uncle

I’m going to let you kids in a little secret, I’m not really your Uncle i killed him and stuffed him under the floorboards HA HA HA HA HA HA Ehh I’m just kidding I’m, I’m probably your Uncle

Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Howdy Svenbot, I liked the read, you had the sinister tone down. The only suggestion I have is to not rush it. Good job.

rogue1
      Participant

Hi Svenbot, Wow, you’ve definitely got character to spare! If I were to suggest any tweaking it would be to let your read breathe a bit, no reason to rush, let the listener enjoy your voice. Specifically, perhaps a slight pause after “I’m going to let you kids in on a little secret” to build the tension, and definitely a shade more pause on your comic timing before you stick that (killer) ending. Great work!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Svenbot – that was really creepy good! I liked the character voice, very convincing! I was chuckling on that one. Good job!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

If you’re going for the suspense-thriller/ batman vs. the joker genre, you’ve got a good thing going.

John Trape
    Participant

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year everyone! This is the first recording that I have submitted to the Feedback Forum and I would very much appreciate your feedback. The script is drawn from the Edge Practice Script Library.

Thank you,

John

John Trapé

Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein was a genius, and one of the greatest physicists of all time. His famous Theories of Relativity, which describe the relationship between mass and energy, and between space and time, were published in 1905 and 1916. Einstein was born of Jewish parents in Ulm, Germany. He spent many years in Switzerland, becoming a Swiss citizen in 1901, and gaining his Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1905 from Zurich University. It was while employed as a patent clerk in Berne that he published his first Theory of Relativity. This contained his famous equation: E=mc2, which explains the relationship between mass and energy.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi John, first of all welcome! That was very nice. Your voice sounds really good for this genre. You enunciation is very clear and your voice is nice and warm, and the pacing was great too. I’m getting the Terrence Stamp impression from your voice (actor in “Yes Man” and many other movies) – that is a compliment! The only tiny critique I could find is the pronunciation of the word “clerk” sounded like “clark” to me, small thing. Keep up the good work!

Mary

John Trape
        Participant

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Following my first practice session with Art, he told me to focus on enunciation, to avoid suppressing words, and to pay attention to pacing. So, your comments are really encouraging. And, yes, I will need to be careful about my pronunciation.

Kind regards,

John

SuperLuke
          Participant

Wow! This is a great performance/ narration performance.

John Trape
          Participant

Hi Luke,

Thank you very much for your encouragement.

Kind regards,

John

monibr16
    Participant

Hey everyone! I gave my last commercial another try with the feedback given. More enthusiasm being the main adjustment. Please let me know how I did! Thank you.

Trendi.com
    Trendi.com. It’s the #1 shopping site for top name brands at up to 75% off. Great style, great value and everything ships free. Trendi.com. Everything you love, for less.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

monibr16 — Nice job! I could hear the difference and improvement from your last read. Keep it up!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Monibr16, really nice! Great enthusiasm and energy, sounds great! I believe I heard the previous version and this one is much improved. Good job!

Mary

monibr16
        Participant

Thank you so much for taking another listen/feedback Mary!

mkell755
          Participant

Sure thing! 🙂

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a recording for any and all feedback. Let me know what you think! Thanks,

Mary

Chico’s
    Chico’s was founded in 1983 as a small boutique selling Mexican folk art on Sanibel Island in Florida. Then one day, our founders discovered the sweater that made literally everyone look fabulous. They then quickly pivoted the business, and retail was never the same. Now there are over 600 Chico’s boutiques nationwide.

From our exclusive, private-label designs to our most amazing personal service, Chico’s is truly a unique retail environment. When you walk into any Chico’s store, you can depend upon the sales staff to coordinate, accessorize, and help you build a wardrobe to suit your needs. We’re moving fast, but not without you. Get yourself to Chico’s!

Attachments:
      John Trape
      Participant

Hi Mary,

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your recording. Among the tips that I will take away are your enthusiasm, conversational tone, and relaxed voice. I felt that I was not being rushed through a script. In fact, I forgot that I was listening to a script. Rather, by giving me the time to absorb the story of Chico’s, you were piquing my interest in the company.

Kind regards,

John

mkell755
        Participant

Hi John, thanks for the feedback! I’m working on sounding authentic for the script and conversational, and keeping things flowing but not too slow or too fast, so thanks again for your comments!

Mary

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Mary,

That was good. I think the pace could have been a little faster. The last was sentence really was natural and flowing. Keep up the good work.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Robert! I will work on the pacing for this one, and glad the last sentence flowed. Thanks!

Mary

svenbot5000
      Participant

Hi Mary! Good read! I liked the last sentence, I could really hear the enthusiasm there. I think you could add that flair to the earlier parts as well.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Svenbot! Glad you could hear the enthusiasm, and I will try to add it in earlier too. Thanks!

Mary

Erik B
      Participant

Hi Mary, I liked the pacing of your read. Also you hit key words very well. In addition I like how you differentiated “coordinate, accesorize, and help” . The only critique I have is, I heard a pause in the first sentence of the second paragraph,”private label designs to our”. But overall you did a good job.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Erik, thanks for your feedback! I listened again to hear that pause and I see what you mean. This one could use a little more practice. Thank you!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi there! Here is one of the spots that will be on my narration demo as a corporate explainer piece! I’m going for straightforward and confident. Any feedback is welcome!

Katelyn

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Sounds great Katelyn! Toque

monibr16
      Participant

Katelyn this is extactly that. Great job!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn! Good job on this one. It sounded straightforward and to the point, very good!

Mary

Toque
    Participant

Happy New Year all! Good to be back at it. I’ll be testing out and practising some possible scripts for my commercial demo reel here. Below is the first. I appreciate all feedback (script, performance, suitability for my voice, sound quality, etc.) Thanks in advance!

Toque

Script:

Bundle your family up and join us on the hill! Fresh powder, challenging elevations, breathtaking views and
    friendly staff are waiting for you at Sir Sam’s Ski & Ride, in Haliburton.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Toque. Reason: adding script
    Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Toque, I really liked this read. Your energy and tone fit the copy well. Great job.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Toque, good energy here! I liked the smile in your voice and the enthusiasm – very good!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Really nice! I love your friendly and enthusiastic energy here. Well done! You may want to take a wee bit of extra time pronouncing ” Sir Sam’s Ski & Ride, ” because it is like a tongue twister haha! The S’s were slurring together a bit. That’s a toughy.

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Happy New Year!! I hope everyone had a lovely holiday. Here is a little read about beavers! Any feedback is appreciated.

Beavers:
    The b****r builds its lodge out of twigs and sticks; as freezing weather nears, they plaster their lodge with mud, making a concrete layer that no predator can break through. During the early nineteenth century, the b****r pelt was the single most valuable commodity; the pelt being used for robes, coats, clothing trims, and top hats.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn, good job! I liked the pacing and variation in tone for this one – very clear enunciation as well. Good job!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Sounds good to me Katelyn. Clean, well enunciated, good pace. Well done!Toque

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.