Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    JensenJacobs
    Participant

Sorry just realize I had posted that last one earlier. Here are a couple more, appreciate any feedback!
    WSFS Bank
    We stand for what’s possible. We stand for ideas of all shapes and businesses of all sizes. We stand for giving you tools online to get your cash flow in line. And turning lines of credit into lines of customers. At WSFS bank, we stand for service.

Always
    You don’t do ordinary. And neither do we. Defy expectations any day with Always Infinity, made with flex foam that Absorbs 10 times its weight. Rewrite the rules. Always.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hi Jensen!
      Read 1: Very lovely inviting tone for this kind of corporate commercial, it suits your voice very nicely. You are adding in a lot of pauses that are cutting up the sentences for instance: “We stand for ideas of all shapes (pause) and businesses of all sizes.” So you really want to smooth out those parts.

Read 2: I can hear the smile in your voice and its really nice in this read. Again, I would love to hear a take where you only pause where the periods are. Would you pause half-way through a sentence when you’re chatting with your friend about something? In normal conversations, we don’t pause like that. I had to have this beat into me by my coaches haha! Just so you know for reference again you paused here: “Defy expectations any day (pause) with Always Infinity,”

Great audio quality as well. The volume is quite low. Industry-standard for auditions is to normalize it to -3db so you may want to practice that when you upload to the feedback forum.

Great work! I look forward to hearing more from you!

rogue1
      Participant

Hi Jensen. Really lovely reads—-both are very accomplished and inviting. Your variation on the WSFS script is particularly effective. Great work!

SuperLuke
      Participant

Very good.

JensenJacobs
    Participant

Appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

I love it! This was very heartfelt, truthful, and it fits with your voice and pacing. Great recording quality too.

Robert Broussard
      Participant

I like the pace and tone. This fits your voice too! good work.

BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

More fun with auditions: the client brief on this merely said “confident”. The sample video they shared was a flashy/classy/futuristic sizzle reel of a new electric car with a lot of tightly-framed shots, so I went with confident and intimate, rather than confident and loud/boisterous.

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

I enjoyed this performance. Critique: Make the whole thing consistent with the ending and you will be all set!

Robert Broussard
      Participant

That was good and I think your approach was correct. good job

JensenJacobs
      Participant

Great read, I think it was a good decision to go with intimate rather than boisterous, it pulled me in more.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by JensenJacobs.
    BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

Some audition practice today…
    This one is for a short narration, and the client direction was “Mike Rowe style of delivery”, so I offered two different takes: one closer to Deadliest Catch (more announcer/presenter), and the other more like D***y Jobs (more conversational). Tone/pacing/delivery feedback?

Attachments:
      chas82
      Participant

Both were nicely done and each met your specific style goals but I connected with #2 a little better; it felt more like you were sharing something interesting while #1 seemed more like a news report. While only 2 seconds shorter than #1, the difference in #2’s tempo was noticeable and supported the conversational vibe better for me. The slightly higher pitch in #2 also helped move it to your “conversational” objective. Good job!

rogue1
      Participant

Hi Brian. Very accomplished read on both counts–quite pleasing in both tone and pacing. That said, I have to say that I find your second, more “D***y Jobs”/conversational read more engaging. Even though the scripts are identical, the second read keeps things moving at a good clip and definitely holds my attention (who knew track leveling could be so intriguing?)

ThomasGreene
    Participant

Practice Scripts – Commercial

Attachments:
      BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Nice tone, good diction. The reads all sound very similar, though, and have an announcer feel, as opposed to the conversational feel that most clients are looking for presently. I’d say give them another shot with a different, specific listener in mind for each one, which should then translate to different tones and serve you better to show your range.

rogue1
    Participant

Trying my hand at a fast–yet still clear–delivery (oh, those plosives!)

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ELECTRONIC MASKS

Slice and Dice! With the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles electronic masks, you’ll always be ready to “turtle up”! Take that, Shredder! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles each sold separately by Playmates.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by rogue1.
    Attachments:
      BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

OK, so for plosives, that’s just mic technique and taking the air out from behind those letters. As far as the speed…it definitely got muddy with the enunciation. The trick is to say everything fast without losing the words. One of my coaches told me to slow down to speed up, and while it seems paradoxical, it actually works.

rogue1
        Participant

Hi, Brian. Thank you for your insights! I shifted my mic and, as you suggested, tried to tap the breaks without losing the energy (I also noted I could’ve interpreted the script more accurately as the second line is one thought, whereas I broke it up in my original read). Again, my thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ELECTRONIC MASKS – TAKE 2

Slice and Dice! With the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles electronic masks, you’ll always be ready to “turtle up”! Take that, Shredder! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles each sold separately by Playmates.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by rogue1.
        Attachments:
    Pmag
    Participant

And one more for the road as I’m now learning I should have saved in MP3 Format. Apologies and thanks.

-M

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

Fun, great vocal quality and performances. My only complaint is a loud noise in the background that needs tuning out.
      Hope this critique helps

Pmag
    Participant

Just a few more for your considerations.

-M

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Pmag.
    Attachments:
    Pmag
    Participant

Hey all,

Catching up on recordings. Had no voice for almost a month thanks to the nastiest cough available on the market. I apologize if I flood the forum but I wanted to get these out there. Thanks for any feedback and I look forward to looking at your recordings as well!

-M

Attachments:
    BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

(If this double posted, I apologize…it doesn’t look like my first attempt was successful.)

Doing some narration practice, working on pacing and diction (making sure my “ands” and “tos” are pronounced without being over-enunciated), and as always, on tone. I put the VO over some video of me rolling with a white belt pre-COVID, in case you would like to see a little Brazilian jiu jitsu as well, hence the YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/G575XrpcgDw

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.