Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    chas82
    Participant

Hi All – Looking to bring a little more happy emotion to my Commercial practice script selections while not re-recording fifty times. My goal with this one is to be an excited doggo in 3 takes or less. All feedback welcomed. Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      rogue1
      Participant

Hi Chas, Really great read! I enjoy the warm quality of your voice and the sincerity of your performance. Strangely enough, I co-wrote this script for a pitch, so it’s fun to hear it performed by other actors! I’ll echo others’ thoughts in that you might definitely channel more of your inner “excited dog” into your read. Frontline makes it so that your canine friends can safely “Live off the Leash” in reckless abandon, so definitely try a few takes where you tear into the read like it’s a brand new pair of your master’s slippers. 🙂

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Chas! I like the energy and enthusiasm here, good job! Definitely happy-sounding 🙂 I agree with Toque that as an alternate take, maybe a fun character voice could be used for the first part of the script as the dog speaking. Think of a happy-go-lucky dog just being a really happy goofy dog, maybe even throw in some panting after “best day ever!” It sounds upbeat and good as is, so this is just a suggestion. My coach tells me often that it is easier to dial it down vs. dial it up, so I totally understand not wanting to sound too over the top. Good work!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

I can certainly hear the happy emotion in there Chas. Good work!

On a separate note, listening to and thinking about your script got me thinking about all the different ways a dog (or any animal) character could be played, such as: 1) with our own voice (as you have done); 2) With a voice that “sounds like a dog” (think Scooby Doo or Muttley); 3) With a voice that embodies the animal’s character traits moreso than “sounding” like the animal (think Foghorn Leghorn)…I’m sure there are many more options. Thanks for getting me thinking! Toque

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a recording for any and all feedback. Working on sounding conversational and authentic. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mary

Motel 6 Do-over

I’ve just been hearing about this trendy new hairstyle called a man bun. I mean what’s next – the beehive? Well, Motel 6 recently got a new updo of sorts too, with renovations nationwide, and even with our fresh modern look, you’ll still find rooms at the lowest price of any national chain, so you can save up enough money to get yourself a haircut or maybe a hat. We’ll leave the light on for you, at Motel6.com

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Hi Mary. Great read. Very clear and well articulated. I particularly liked the first two sentences, which i felt sounded more conversational than the following sentences (about renovations and new modern look), which felt a bit more like it was being read. Keep up the good work! Toque

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Toque! I have to admit the first 2 sentences were the most fun! I will work on keeping the rest of the script conversational too. Thanks!

Mary

chas82
      Participant

Mary
      I liked where you’re headed with this. I think the first two sentences were done well. You established an approach that’s a little quirky and also set a nice anchor for the finish that also contain references to hats/hairstyle.

The third sentence seemed to be a little flat to me in spots. There are some key words and phrases that reinforce the underlying message that could be more emphasized (new updo, renovations nationwide, any national chain). I also think the uptalk used for “fresh modern look” de-emphasizes the point of the message – just emphasize fresh and modern. I liked how you ended; “hearing” the smile in your delivery helped me relate to the message.

I think you were challenged by a very poor job of copywriting. The third sentence, beginning with “Well”, is far too long and choppy and contains four separate and distinct topics, most deserving sentences but separated by just commas. It sounded like the last comma got you a little bit, making the brief pause sound more like a period at the end of a sentence.

All that being said, overall, it was pretty good and this is why we all practice.
      Chas

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Chas! The script seemed to call for quirky, so I’m glad it came across that way. I struggled with the third sentence a little – it was so long, so I was working to to make it flow a little better and varying the tone every which way to help with that. Thanks for all the detailed comments, very helpful!

Mary

John Trape
      Participant

Hi Mary,

I certainly found your read conversational, authentic, and personal. In particular, your opening two sentences and your concluding sentence.

This is such a valuable time for me as I learn how you and others are interpreting scripts, choosing tone, and targeting pitch.

Thank you,

John

mkell755
        Participant

Hi John, thanks for the feedback! I’m glad it came across as conversational and authentic. The first 2 sentences sounded like something I would actually say to a friend. If I did this again I may add some periods in the third sentence. It goes on and on but would be clearer in meaning and easier to perform if broken up a bit. I hear from my coach all the time how we should be picturing / targeting a very specific person for the scripts. Sometimes that is easy to do, and sometimes not. Thanks again!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

And a second one! 🙂 This is a corporate onboarding narration for my upcoming demo as well. I think this is not my best work but it’s getting late lol! I am going for conversational, friendly, encouraging. Hope to be hitting this mark. Thank you! Also – there are quite a few plosives at the start of this – any tips for dealing with plosives?

Here at Old Navy, the health and safety of our employees is our top priority, and as a new member of our team, you’ll have access to awesome resources like free fitness classes! To learn more, click the ‘Go Team’ arrow below.

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Great read overall Katelyn! Good catch by Chas on the to/ta pronunciation. I struggle with that a lot too, not just for words like “to”, but also the word “for” (saying “fer” instead). One thing I’ve found that helps is to write those words on your script as “2” and “4” rather than “to” and “for”. Toque.

chas82
      Participant

Katelynn
      You nailed your three goals of conversational, friendly and encouraging! You made the topic engaging with your tempo and pitch, it went smoothly from end-to-end because of your choices of timing for the commas and I think you chose the correct words to emphasize. One little nit pick – I heard “to” pronounced as “ta” in both places where it occurs. Overall, a very nice job!
      Chas

John Trape
      Participant

Hi Katelyn,

I thought that this was such a clear, engaging, and personal read. I replayed this a number of times just to absorb how, I felt, that you had interpreted your script. For me, a very educational experience.

Thank you.

John

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn, sounds great! Very clear, encouraging and friendly. Great job!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Good day everyone. Here is a piece for my narration demo I’m working on with my coach. This is a corporate explainer narration piece. I’m going for friendly, but this is still really important. I hope it sounds conversational. Let me know if it hits the mark. Thank youssss

Attachments:
      AlexisVO
      Participant

I think your pace and energy are great. Your read is friendly but still communicates the important info. Nice job!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn, good job! It sounded very clear and straightforward and with good pacing and energy, and also conversational. Good job!

Mary

AlexisVO
    Participant

Hi all, Looking for any feedback on performance and sound quality. Thanks! Alexis

It’s amazing! I never thought one cereal would make my whole family stay for breakfast. HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS. There’s never been a cereal like it. With big corn flakes and crunchy bunches of oats. Finally … a cereal my whole family loves.

Attachments:
      AlexisVO
      Participant

Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

Toque
      Participant

Very well done Alexis! Good sound quality, and excellent read. Toque

chas82
      Participant

Alexis

That was a great read! Excellent tempo, very nice variation in pitch and volume throughout, definitely was natural and conversational and your choice of which words to emphasize was spot on. I may have heard a small breath after the 4th and the 5th sentences but it could be my equipment. Well done!

Chas

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Alexis, very nice! I like the variation in tone and the nice smile in your voice – very good!

Mary

chas82
    Participant

Here’s a “before and after” of the same travel script, with the after intended to incorporate forum feedback I found very helpful. Primary objective was to bring more emotion to the phrases that paint the word pictures of the tropical setting, between 14 seconds and 21 seconds. Thanks in advance for all input.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by chas82.
    Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Chas, good work! I think that #2 was a bit more descriptive / believable in painting the word pictures, very good job!

Mary

AlexisVO
      Participant

Nice job! I think you accomplished your goal of adding some emotion and bringing the scene of the tropical vacation to life. One small note is that in both reads, I was hearing “lush, green palms” as sounding a bit fast, almost like it was one word. I think you could slow down when describing those. But otherwise everything sounded great!

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Woohoo! This was great! #2 is right on the money, nice work! I think the word “lush” could be milked a little bit more but this is fantastic! Makes me so sad I can’t go to Mexico this year.

Skinnydog351
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I hope you’re all safe and well. I’m working on some demos with David Goldberg. This is my commercial demo which is going up on my website at http://www.jonmccomb.com

Let me know what you think! Cheers!!

Jon

Attachments:
      John Trape
      Participant

Hi Jon,

I am very impressed by your work, by your range, and by your website. Your demo was a real pleasure to listen to, and you must be very satisfied. Thank you.

John

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Jon, great job! You have a really nice range of tones and characters / feels in your reads! I too am getting ready to record my first demo and it’s so nice to hear the finished product. Really good!

Mary

AlexisVO
      Participant

What a great demo! I’m getting ready to record my first demo and this is really inspiring. Best of luck to you!

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Fantastic work!! David is so great 🙂 I just got my demo back too. Congratulations on your new demo and new website!! I love your voice for documentaries.

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a recording for any and all feedback. Working on sounding conversational and authentic. Thanks for listening!

Mary

Third Shift Beer
    Third Shift is not just a beer, it’s a story.
    A story about loving what you do.
    They say when you love your job you never work a day in your life.
    You never work a night either.
    That’s what brought the band of brewers together to make a beer they’re proud to call their own.
    Introducing the gold-medal-winning Third Shift Amber Lager.
    When beer is your calling you never clock out.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

I do think you accomplished your goal. You sound like you’re talking with someone about something you’ve encountered and really enjoyed. I also get the idea you really know what you’re talking about. Only problem is, you pause in the middle of a sentence three times. Unless there’s a comma or a period in the script, you should generally avoid that. Good job overall though.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback! I will work on the unintentional pauses, I see what you mean. Thank you!

Mary

rogue1
    Participant

Hello everyone! Had posted this earlier, received some very constructive feedback (Thanks, BrianWiggins!), and thought I’d post again back-to-back to gauge any improvement.

Trying for a fast–yet still clear–delivery. All comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for listening!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ELECTRONIC MASKS

“Slice and Dice! With the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles electronic masks, you’ll always be ready to “turtle up”! Take that, Shredder! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles each sold separately by Playmates.”

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

The second take was much better. I love how well your voice matches the script and you speak so clearly at such a quick tempo. However, I think you’re not hitting the best words and the tone you’re using during the enunciations should be redone. Also, in the beginning, you sound like your telling the the listener to slice and dice with the product. I don’t think that’s the intent. Still, you’re doing great. Well done!

rogue1
        Participant

Hey Tim, thank you for the great feedback! Good point on the “slice and dice” seeming misapplied to the product and will definitely look at hitting other words in the script to be more impactful in subsequent reads.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Rogue1, sounds great! The second script sounds fast but clear, and with more tone variation than the first read, which is good for this script. I too heard “ta turtle up” as opposed to “to turtle up”, which is something that trips me up quite often as well. Very good!

Mary

rogue1
        Participant

Hi Mary! Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. Still some bugs to iron out (*shakes fist at “ta” reading*) but I’ll get there! Appreciate your taking the time to listen!

chas82
      Participant

A definite improvement! Slow down to speed up worked well for you. I think it enhanced the energy of the read and that made it more attention grabbing. There was only one enunciation issue; you meant to say “..ready TO turtle up” but it sounded like “..ready ta turtle up.” Good job.

rogue1
        Participant

Hello, Chas. Thanks for having a listen! Definitely tripped over that blasted “ta”–glad you folks have sharp ears as I totally missed it!

Bil-Bo
    Participant

COORS BEER 30 SEC RADIO

MOST BREWERS HAVE FIGURED OUT THAT BEER AND COLD GO HAND IN HAND.
    STILL, WE’RE THE ONLY ONES WHO BOTHER TO SHIP OUR BEER COLD.
    IN THE MOUNTAINS, OUR BREW WATER EVEN COMES OUT OF THE GROUND
    COLD. SO, WHILE OTHERS HAVE BEEN WARMING UP TO THE IDEA OF COLD, UP HERE,
    WE’RE KINDA STUCK WITH IT. COLD, CLEAN, ORIGINAL COORS … CAUSE YA’ FEEL LIKE IT.

First State Bank

In today’s world, everyone needs a bank they can rely on. But, unfortunately, most modern banks are just too big to provide the kind of attention and service you need. First State Bank is the exception. At First State, you’ll discover that banking can be personal and friendly, as well as modern and efficient. FIRST STATE BANK. Today’s bank.

John Deere

When you take shortcuts it shows. We don’t run like that. We build John Deere equipment the way we always have. The right way. Times change. Our principles don’t. You don’t just have our word on it. We’ve got our name on it. That’s how we run. John Deere…available at Northwest Tractors, your local John Deere dealer.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Bil-Bo – excellent work! both in the delivery and production for all 3 scripts. I don’t have my studio set up yet, but the third script sounded a little less “crystal clear” than the other 2 scripts did. All of them have great pacing and enunciation and sound very authentic for your voice. Very good!

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.