Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    SuperLuke
    Participant

To get in touch with my old man character in my demo, I decided to read some poetry as the character. I also would like some feedback on my performance and recording quality (i.e. loud enough, can you hear me perform, how’s my performance).

Script: There once was a man from Peru, who dreamed he was eating his shoe. He woke with a fright in the middle of the night to find that his dream has come true, (Laugh) Oh I enjoy poetry

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi SuperLuke! Nice! I like your character voice, and it works really well for this poem. I like the tone variation throughout. I’m not fully set up yet to give much feedback on recording quality. “He woke with a fright…” sounded like “He woke wid a fright…” to me, so working on clearer enunciation is my feedback (from what I’m hearing). Keep it up!

Mary

SuperLuke
        Participant

Thank you Mary for your feedback. Yes, I’ve been working on maintaining my character’s texture along with my speaking. Sorry that some words don’t sound right.

dmendoza2580
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I am new to voice over, and currently taking the private coaching. I want to post my practice recording and see what feedback I need to improve.
    Script: California State Park (Edge Studio Librar)
    Welcome to the California State Park’s Directory of Natural Resources. California’s parks are here for the entire family to enjoy. They’re your parks, and we urge you to abide by basic conservation guidelines. On days designated as “dry days,” please do not light matches or start fires of any kind in any of our parks. The threat of forest fires is of constant concern to California Foresters. Campfires are permitted, but in designated Campfire Zones only. All state parks are open at 7 a.m. and close at sundown. Please adhere to this rule for your own safety and protection. We would like you to come back often and take advantage of California’s great outdoors. After all, you make it work.

Attachments:
      Official81
      Participant

Hello this was a very nice read your accent really makes the read very genuine and interesting. I am also new here and I found that when I mark up my script (which is when you create a legend of marks that you use to mark your script the way you want to read it.) you can read more about this process in The Voice Actor’s Performance Guidebook page 73 after the word IMPORTANT in bold letters. I have been doing this and it definately helps. You know your voice so marking where you need breaths at among other things also will help you to know exactly where to make those same edits if necessary later on.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Dmendoza, welcome!
      I like the tone and pacing of this script for you. It sounded more like it was something you were reading than telling someone about (something I’m working on myself). In the second sentence it sounded more like a question “…for the entire family to enjoy?” vs. “…for the entire family to enjoy.” I agree too that there should be more emphasis on “you make it work” as a final statement for telling someone why they should go to California State Parks. Good job!

Mary

SuperLuke
      Participant

Welcome to Edge!
      I see some great potential in this performance. Your coach will help you figure out your progress. I think there should be more emphasis on “please don’t start fires of any kind” and “you make it work”.

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi there! Here is an audition I submitted! It is supposed to be for a promotional tourism video. My first try was more upbeat and family-oriented (they said to picture white sandy beaches, couples holding hands and families) and the second is more subdued for a luxurious video. I wasn’t sure which they were going for. Thanks for any feedback! 🙂

Attachments:
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Wow you guys!! I was away from the forum for a few days and you left me so much feedback! Thank you guys!!

kevinwiland
      Participant

Katelyn,
      I think this is awesome! I love your voice and I can’t decide what I like better. My favorite part is when your voice becomes more “airy” on the word “endless.” Great job. Hope you get the gig!

irvj
      Participant

Hi Katelyn! The first read sounded more natural, more you. As others have posted, a really crisp, clean voice. For the more luxurious read, maybe go down a tad in pitch so that it has a more sultry, refined feel to it. Just a thought.

katelyndawnvo
        Participant

haha! I would but I can’t go lower really. I’m a soprano!

Official81
      Participant

Hi Katelyn very nice recording quality sounded very clear and crisp. You did an awesome job on both reads. If you wanted to give it a completely different feel you could play with the pitch and inflection places which can naturally make you sound more upbeat or vice versa more luxurious and airy. I am totally new here, but I always change my pitch and inflection points up a bit when recording a different take so that the differences are more defined. Hope this helps! Excellent Job!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn, great job! I prefer the first read more, you sound more authentic to really enjoying the beach and I could picture the beach as well as feel the smile in your voice – really well done! The second read was good as well, so it may just be a personal preference.

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Hi Katelyn. To me, the second read feels truer to what you intended (subdued, luxurious), so I liked that one better. To really distinguish between the 2 reads, i may have gone with even more energy/upbeat for the first read. Great work though! Toque

Mitch_Crawford
        Participant

Hi Katelyn! I actually liked the first one more. Your voice makes me want to go to whatever beach the spot shows me visually! I could see a little more energy there, too. Regardless, it was a really good read. Hope you get it! 🙂

SuperLuke
          Participant

I think that both reads are good for this advertisement. Good recording quality as well. I think you can try and merge the two reads together. Find a balance between the two performances that will really make us, as listeners, want to go on a vacation by the beach and a vacation.
          As a matter of picking between the first and second performance, I thought the second read was more heartfelt and luring the audience into the commercial and making us want to be there. Hope this critique is helpful

acbattag
    Participant

This is a read I am considering for my demo. I did several takes and exhausted them because I can’t seem to get the beginning quite right, but maybe that is just me! Would love your feedback.

When you love your skin naturally, it shows. Boost your skin’s moisture for a glow the world can see. Introducing new, Burt’s Bees Truly Glowing Skin Care.

Attachments:
      kevinwiland
      Participant

Amber, very nice job! Your voice seems very relaxed. It feels to me that your pitch didn’t vary much, other than the first sentence. Was this intentional?

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Amber, really nice read! You have such a nice, warm tone and it sounds really good for this genre. It feels very authentic for Burt’s Bees. Good job!

Mary

Official81
        Participant

I totally agree with you Mary! Amber you make me want to grab up some Burt’s! If you couldn’t get the beginning right I would have never known that. Totally rocked this one girl!

chas82
      Participant

It’s you – lol. I liked it overall and I especially liked how you started out. I’d guess that little uplift in tempo and pitch of “it shows” is what will set you apart, especially since it comes at the beginning. I could also feel you smiling when hitting that phrase which made the message more natural and conversational, and not just reading a script. The “for a glow” phrase didn’t flow for me – too much emphasis on pronouncing the “a”.( I’m wondering if you edited this part of the file – I sometimes hear similar effects on my stuff that I try to edit but I am still at bottom of learning curve with my DAW.) I also thought the pause at the comma after “new” was too long, making the last sentence a little choppy. Two very minor tweaks and overall, a very demo worthy read.

Mitch_Crawford
        Participant

Loved the first sentence! Agree that the “a glow” was a bit staccato, and I wonder what the end would sound like if the product name was emphasized as “truly glowing skin” care, as opposed to “truly glowing” skin care. Does that make sense? I believe this is a perfect ad for your voice, to be sure!

acbattag
        Participant

haha! Thank you! Appreciate the notes. I too think the pause after the “new” was too long after listening to it a hundred times! Very appreciative of the feedback. I think I spent so much time on the beginning that I ignored the middle!

Toque
      Participant

Hi Amber. Sometimes I find it difficult to assess someone’s read without knowing what sort of “direction” was intended. I know a lot of the scripts in the Edge library don’t come with directions, which leaves it up to us to self-direct. What sort of read/sound were you shooting for? A lot of aspects of your read are good (ex. audio quality, pace, enunciation). As it is now, it comes across as a rather low-energy read. Is that what was intended? Toque

acbattag
        Participant

Thanks Toque! I appreciate the request. I was going for a calm, relaxing feel for this read. Talking to my friend… essentially. If it is sounding low energy though – that is not what I was going for! I’ll do a re-record with both yours and Chas’ notes! Appreciate it!

kbridges
    Participant

Hello fellow voices! I’m really appreciating this forum and the positive, constructive feedback. Thank you all for participating! Here’s another one of my reads. I’m hoping to be really fun and engaging in narration for younger audiences. Any tips?

Script:
    Why is food important? Well, it tastes good, and it’s fun to eat, but it also gives us energy! That means it helps our bodies move and work, so we can grow, play, dance, run, study, and think.

Our bodies work kind of like a car. If you don’t put good fuel into the car, it won’t be able to drive. But, when you put the right fuel in, VROOM! Off it goes!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi KBridges! Good work! I’m agreeing with others on the volume being low, and speeding it up just a little would be good too to keep kid’s attention. For the list of items “…so we can grow, play, dance, run, study, and think.” the tone started high and just kept getting higher, so maybe more variation but up and down in tone in that list? Hopefully that makes sense. I like it, keep it up!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Hi. Just to add onto acbattag’s comments, I also found the recording volume quite low. I struggled a bit to hear it. Toque

acbattag
      Participant

Hi Kbridges!
      Thanks for sharing your read! I really like your energy during the read! I can tell you are smiling and really want to help people understand why the right food is important. A couple of things I noticed. You have essentially the same tone throughout your read. I’d look for a little tone variety as you are reading through it. I’d also working on speeding it up a little bit. I think the pace is just a little bit slow and could use a bit of a boost. Finally, as you are reading your list “play, dance, run…” try hitting a bit more variety in the list so it doesn’t sound like you are reading the list. (I got the same feedback yesterday too!).

Hope this helps a bit!

ThomasGreene
    Participant

Commercial Demo practice scripts from Edge Library

Attachments:
      Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Hey Thomas! I really liked the first one, Amex. Your voice is firm, confident, strong…just what I want to hear from a big financial company. Only, critique, however small, was that your ending made me feel like you had just one more thing to say!

Toque
    Participant

Hi adding another/different take on the Kingston piece below, as I didn’t like the first one after I listened to it over. Didn’t feel conversational enough, I thought. Toque

Attachments:
      chas82
      Participant

Toque – I thought the second version was a spot-on, well-done conversational read. The change in tempo, a slightly increased pitch and nice enunciation combined to deliver what I heard what you described you were going for, one friend selling the features of a place they are connected with to another. And, you did an excellent job with the breathing, tempo and volume required to get through that big-a** first phrase of the second sentence. – Chas

kbridges
      Participant

Hi Toque!

I listened to both takes of this read, and it’s cool to be able to hear the difference. The second read does have a more conversational, engaging, and positive energy. I imagine the narrator of the video walking along the waterfront, talking to the audience and showing them a beautiful place.

There was a little catch at the beginning of “proud to share” that interrupted the flow, but overall it flows really well and is well received by this listener.

What did you change between the two takes? Any tips on getting that more conversational tone?

Toque
        Participant

Hi kbridges. Thanks for the feedback! In the first take, I think I was in more of an announcer/narrator headspace, thinking of it more as a formal presentation I was doing. For the second take, I tried to imagine I was just talking to a specific friend of mine who was thinking of moving to Kingston. I think that helped make it more natural and less formal. That little catch you pointed out before “proud to share” was intentional, because we don’t always speak like we’re reading copy when we speak to our friends. Hope this helps! Toque

Toque
    Participant

Hi all. Tried posting this earlier, but then didn’t see it on the list, so I hope I’m not posting this twice. Because of my background, as part of my commercial demo, I’d like to add some sample(s) of reads for municipal governments, economic development agencies, etc. So this practice script is a snippet of an Ec. Dev. promo for the City of Kingston, Ontario. Your honest feedback on anything is very much appreciated! Toque.

City of Kingston Economic Development promo script:

Our residents benefit from a superior quality of life and are proud to share it.
    Located on the coast of scenic Lake Ontario and nicknamed “The Limestone City”
    for the beautiful buildings that line our vibrant downtown streets, Kingston is a place
    where history and innovation truly thrive.

Attachments:
    BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

Audition Feedback:

Client Brief: read in an American accent. In a tone that is down-to-earth, approachable, fun, professional and exciting

Two takes…not sure about which one, or maybe submitting both.

Attachments:
      chas82
      Participant

Brian – I liked the second better as well. The first was good but I thought the second ticked all the boxes the direction called for to a greater degree. If I had to find one small change to suggest, the pause after “successfully launched” seemed a tad too long and impacted the very nice flow and tempo that is contained throughout. Good luck with this – Chas

acbattag
      Participant

Hi Brian –
      I really like the 2nd read better. It hits the mark on down to earth, approachable and fun! Although your first hits those too, it doesn’t seem as legitimate as your 2nd. Love the pace of the read as well. Great job!
      -Amber

Toque
      Participant

Hi Brian. Both reads are good!I liked the second one a bit better, I think because of some of the pacing, especially early on. Toque

SuperLuke
        Participant

I enjoyed the second performance the best. It has the right feel for the commercial you’re trying to perform. It keeps the audience interested, keeping their attention and hearing what you have to say.

The first read was kind of slow and didn’t have as much energy.
        hope this critique is helpful.

mkell755
    Participant

Hi everyone! Here is a short little recording for any and all feedback. I’m working on lead-ins to help me get into the feel of the scripts and sounding conversational. Let me know if it hits the mark. Thanks!

Mary

Michelob Ultra
    If this is your idea of redeeming miles, this is your beer. 2.6 grams of carbs and 95 calories. Michelob Ultra. Lose the carbs. Not the taste.

Attachments:
      BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Hi Mary…there’s a lot of words that are being lost here as you speed by them or blur them into the next word. You need to make sure that all of the words are clear without over-enunciating them. Also, think about what words are important in each phrase: for instance, in “this is your beer”, you hit really h*****n “this” but blur the rest of the phrase together.

For the last two lines, you reverse it and really enunciate, and it feels very read, not conversational.

It will really help your reads if you understand who you are speaking to (as in, is this one of your friends? Where are having this conversation? Why are you having this conversation?). It will help you connect with the script and make the words flow more naturally, while still emphasizing the important parts.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Brian, thanks for the feedback. In an effort to be conversational and not speaking too slowly as if talking with a friend who bikes, the clarity was lost, so I will work on that. This was meant to be a casual read to a friend, but like you say sounded a little too rehearsed / unnatural at the end. I have been picturing who I’m talking to when I record (as per my coach) but still have work to do on that end. Thanks again!

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.