Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

Looking for feedback on this audition:
    Client brief: We want a documentary style voiceover.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Official81
      Participant

Hi Brian! Very Nice! Only thing I can say is that with this read it makes me want to know what you look like for some reason. And I was told that can take away from the focal point of the job. I don’t know if you just sounded intriguing or what. It sounds great just a little less inflection to sound more narrative.

Toque
      Participant

Sounds great to me Brian! Feels like you’ve got the style and pace right. Audio is good and clear. I did notice 3 or 4 breath sounds along the way, but I’m still quite new to all this and haven’t had any coaching or practise on documentary style reads, so maybe a few breath sounds are acceptable in the longer documentary style reads? Either way, great job! Toque

BrianWigginsVO
        Participant

If you Google it, you’ll find a whole range of opinions on breath sounds, but from what my coaches have told me, just leave them in unless they are truly distracting. (I took out the weird-sounding mouth noises, they’re just gross.)

katelyndawnvo
          Participant

Totes! In order to sound conversational humans breathe 🙂

Toque
          Participant

Thanks Brian, I’ve learned something new! Toque

BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

Hi all…I’m starting my coaching work for my animation demo in two weeks, and part of my prep work is to come up with 10 original characters. I recorded a scratch track as a means of testing some of them out…would I be able to get feedback on the variety? Do any of them sound too alike? Are there some that you think I should lean into more? (Don’t worry about the writing or the acting, I’ll dial that in once I have the character voices more solidified.) Thanks!

Attachments:
      Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

These are great–felt like I was watching anime cartoons with my kids again. Love your cadence. I’d also love to hear a few more clips where you use colloquialisms, or bad grammar, like when the dog says, “under da sofa.” That was the best!

Amitofu
      Participant

I really felt the one at 1:26 (the dog voice) and 1:51 (the last one) were your strongest so far. All the voices sounded distinct enough to me though.

Toque
      Participant

Again Brian, great work! You’ve got some good variety in there. I numbered your voices from 1 – 10 in the order they appear on your reel. The only areas I thought there may be some similarity between voices were:

Voices # 2 and #3 (0:11 – 0:35), to my ear anyway, sounded quite similar, with # 3 just being louder.

Voices # 1 (0:00 – 0:11) and #5 (0:52 – 1:06 – “sorry I ate the landlord”) sounded similar to me.

But overall, great stuff! Hope this helps. Toque

Official81
    Participant

This….is my voice.
    There is no music, and there are no sound effects…only the pure, clear sound, recorded for your ears.
    I am a voice over artist, a voice actor, a voice talent, and I can convey my message in many ways, in many tones and with many emotions.
    I can speak in a very light whisper, to share an intimate message with you. Or my voice can boom deeply, demanding respect from those who are listening. My voice can express sympathy to someone who has just experienced a great loss, or it can reflect the happiness one feels after having accomplished something great!
    I sit (or stand) before this tube constructed of metals, of plastics, of wire and of silicon, which listens patiently to me, as if it were alive like a mistress, hour after hour, day after day and night after night. It never judges me, however it is a reflection of me….one which is neither vengeful, nor forgiving.
    I am a voice actor…..and this is my voice.

Attachments:
      Amitofu
      Participant

Good Overall!
      If you did want areas I think you could improve, I’d say: When you talk about being sympathetic voice vs expressing happiness, try to express those without changing the volume of your voice. I would also look at changing the tone/inflection when you’re reading items on a list. eg; “I can convey my message in many ways, in many tones and with many emotions” it got a little monotonous.
      Those are my thoughts.

Official81
        Participant

Thank you so much! I will keep this in mind.

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Did you write this? I can see this being a very cool project with clips from a bunch of different VOs edited together.

Official81
        Participant

Hey Brian! No I didn’t write this, but one of our fellow VO artists did. I found it in the Script Library. And I actually thought the same exact thing when I read this, to have many VOV’s (VoiceOverVoices) edited together. This was really nice.

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Love this, Lexi; very well read. Sorry…nothing to critique! 🙂

Official81
        Participant

Thank you so much Mitch! Always greatly appreciated! I really did love this piece.

Official81
    Participant

Hello All! Back with a practice script I did a little editing and added some music I was wholely inspired by Sean my new friend who doesn’t know it yet! Lol But here goes I hope it sonds good I am playing more and more with editing and my Audacity 101 course is tonight! So excited!

M-me? steal the gem M’lord? laughable, really! I’ll admit, I’ve done some petty burglary in the past… But! but, I served my time for that! These preposterous accusations… do you really think I’d be capable of such a heist? P-please M’lord you must reconsider, please? You can’t be serious M’lord you must understand! No! Please, have mercy!

Attachments:
      Amitofu
      Participant

Sounds great! maybe a little more energy, and maybe a pinch louder. In terms of interpretation, I’m certainly not saying the angle was ‘wrong’, but the vibe I got from this script was that it was a little more sheepish and guilty. The speaker is not just afraid of “M’lord” but also trying to make up excuses on the fly. When they say “But! But, I served my time for that!” it’s a coy coaxing. In “Do you really think ‘I’d’ be capable of such a heist, ‘I’ should be emphasised, as if maybe someone else could be certainly not the speaker. Again, this is strictly how I interpreted it, but it was basically a person of lower stature trying to manipulate their superior (to evade their wrath). Maybe try that as a variation.

Official81
        Participant

Thank you! I agree I could have empasized that “I” to make it seem more convincing. Thank you NOTE TAKEN.

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Wow, another great read Lexi! You’re killing it! If this is for an audiobook, it was spot on. If for an animation soundtrack, maybe the tempo should pick up a tiny bit? Tiny bit. Love the music!

Official81
        Participant

Just a practice script from the script library Mitch for practice. I’m really working on honing my editing and mastering skills. I want to be able to put down professional quality work when my coaching is finished. So thank you so much Mitch means a lot to me!

Sean
    Participant

Hi I’m just beginning to get my feet wet in the VO world. Been enjoying the learning curve thus far. Have been learning the ropes with my
    DAW and been practicing with some scripts. Would like to receive some feedback on one of my first recordings. Thanks

Attachments:
      Marc Briggs
      Participant

Love the voice! Close your eyes and it’s like you’re listening to NPR 🙂 Perhaps consider brightening & raising the pitch a bit on that last word, “considerable.”

Erik B
      Participant

I really liked this performance. Your tone fit the copy well, and the recording quality is excellent. Good job.

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Great tone. You definitely have the pipes for it. Only 2 suggestions/notes:
      1) slow down the delivery some. Don’t rush. Your natural tone just oozes gravitas, so no need to go fast to convey importance.
      2) more of a production thing (I come from the production side of things and just always have an ear out): I heard a couple of little mouth clicks in there over the music, but they were isolated, so I would just take them out and it would be smooth as h**l from that side.

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Sean, that was great! Loved it all…if I would change one thing, it would be the pause between the last two words, which sounded more like a period (We think you’ll find the difference. Considerable.) than an ellipsis (We think you’ll find the difference…considerable!). Barely noticeable though. Great read.

Official81
      Participant

I had to listen again it was so good Sean! I did hear some slight mouth noises but nothing your editing can’t remove. You are snappin Sean forreal!

Official81
      Participant

Sean Ima need you to stop ok. Just getting your feet wet??? You sound like a pro my man!!! Sound quality is tight added music sounds right! You must be extremly good with the technical side of things like editing and mastering. This sounds amazing I have nothing but kudos for you! And can we be friends?

NoreenQuadir
    Participant

Hi – adding some VO practice clips for feedback. These were all recorded via my phone as it’s just for practice. Thanks!

Attachments:
    mkell755
    Participant

Hi everyone! here are 2 takes on the same script for any and all feedback. Just started experimenting with Audacity as a beginner. Let me know what you think. Thank you!
    P.S. – The first recording is much quieter than the second, just a notice to turn the second one down a notch before listening.

Mary

Chipotle
    At Chipotle, we believe that the best food on earth is the best food from the earth. That’s why we use only whole avocados to make our guacamole fresh every day. Real ingredients, real flavor. Chipotle, for real.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by mkell755.
    Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Hi Mary. The second read is definitely the better one (no background static, and good volume). Toque

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks Toque! Much appreciated.

Mary

svenbot5000
    Participant

Good afternoon! Here’s another quick recording I did. Please let me know what you think! I’m especially looking for feedback on tone and pace.

Trendi

Trendi.com. It’s the #1 shopping site for top name brands at up to 75% off. Great style, great value and everything ships free. Trendi.com. Everything you love, for less.

Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Svenbot. I like the energy and pace of the read. I think you hit the keywords nicely. The recording quality sounds solid to me. Good job.

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Hi Svenbot! Great energy and tone! Pace was good throughout, too; the only thing I might consider trying differently is that first Trendi.com. After listening a couple times, you basically say it the same way in both spots, but the first one has just a millisecond more of a pause before saying ‘dotcom’. To me it seemed the slightest bit awkward, as though it was a one-word sentence (“Trendi.” then “dot com.”) I’m REALLY nitpicking here…it was a great read! Looking forward to hearing more!

Toque
      Participant

Hi svenbot. On tone and pace, I think you’re great! One thing I did note was that i feel like I’m hearing some echo in the recording. Maybe a sound treatment issue in your recording space? Otherwise, very well done! Toque

NoreenQuadir
      Participant

Love the pacing and it sounds clear. I would add a bit more energy/enthusiasm to make it a little bit more exciting since it’s a food commercial.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Svenbot! I like your energy and enthusiasm on this one. Very clear and with good pacing too. I like how you really emphasized the first Trendi to make the brand really stand out. good job!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi there! This is another audition piece for a campus tour video narration. The direction was “Looking for a positive informative voice to lead viewers through a virtual tour of campus.” Thanks for any feedback!

Katelyn

Attachments:
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Thanks you guys! 🙂

BrianWigginsVO
      Participant

Very bright, totally believable that this is a college-aged kid. Same note as Toque, a few times the “to” came out as “tuh”, so if you tweak that one thing and keep the rest exactly the same, I’d say you nailed it.

Toque
      Participant

Great job Katelyn! Very bright, clear read, nice pace. Makes me want to listen and learn. If I had any feedback for improvement, it would be that once or twice your “to” sounded like “ta”. I’ve done it myself many times. I try to avoid it by writing the word on my script as “2” rather than “to”. (Same thing with “4” instead of “for”). Excellent work! Toque

katelyndawnvo
        Participant

ugh right! lol I know this yet don’t always do it! Thanks 🙂

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn, great work! You always have such a nice, friendly and helpful tone and I could really hear the smile in your voice. Very good and good luck!

Mary

SuperLuke
      Participant

Good performance and recording quality.

rogue1
    Participant

Hello, everyone! Another raw home record (no filtering save a quick “de-noise”)

VO for spot where the visual is a sustained shot of a man quietly dumbfounded and mesmerized by the incredible TV picture he’s seeing (hence the hushed tone of the read).

Two selects from multiple takes for review. All comments welcome–my thanks for taking the time to listen!

SAMSUNG

This is the face of a man watching college football on an 82” Samsung QLED TV. He’s not watching his team, he doesn’t even have a team. He’s more of a golf guy. And yet, here we are. Captivating color. Gripping 4K. The massive 82” Samsung QLED TV. See nothing else.

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Both reads are great Rogue! If I had to choose between the two, I’d say the second one is my favourite. Great job! Toque

mkell755
      Participant

Hey Rogue1, I liked both reads! I could totally picture a guy watching as if hypnotized for the first read, really made me chuckle thinking about it. The second read was good as well, and I think draws you in more quickly and then brings you to the same ending point of the other script where you see a man hypnotized, like at first maybe he runs into the room then is stopped dead in his tracks by the awesome TV, whereas in the first one he is hypnotized the whole time.

I too think that you could really emphasize “82” SAMSUNG QLED TV” both times, to make it even more like a “Wow this is happening!” sort of moment, which might make it even more humorous. Really good!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hi hi! nice luxurious reads. I prefer the second option because I think it is hitting your goal but still has some energy to it. Without something visual to look at the first one was lulling me into a meditative state 🙂 Nice piece!

SuperLuke
        Participant

I liked both raw performances. But I prefer the one that sounds more positive an excited/happy in the commercial. The first recording I herd sort of sounded like the guy was sad or depressed. Good quality recordings too!

Tina
      Participant

Great reads! I can definitely picture what you described in regards to the man staring at the tv. I think it would be cool to blend both of your reads and start a little slower with the first line and really punch up the ” 82” Samsung QLED TV, and then more conversational and slightly faster pace with the rest. I love the quirkiness of this script and I totally thought this is something William Shatner would be suited to read as he has that sarcastic wit. Hopefully this is helpful. haha.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Tina.
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.