Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a recording for any and all feedback. Let me know what you think! I used to drive an Xterra and it was such a great vehicle!!! Thank you for listening,

Mary

Nissan Xterra
    If necessity is the mother of invention, the Xterra is its dirt-covered poster boy. So in addition to the available 210-hp, SuperCharged V6, you’ll also find lots of heavy-duty stuff at your disposal. After all, you never know when a ladder-box truck frame and maximum 5,000-pound towing capacity will come in handy. The Nissan Xterra: A million uses and counting.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

I really like your pitch and tempo, but the tone sounds decidedly uninterested in the first half. You come off as more of a critic than a salesperson. You need to remember that you’re trying to sell this to someone, act as if you’re talking with someone or a group of someones. Also, in the “lists,” you sounded even-pitched, others one the forum have told me that lists need to have unique inflections for each item or phrase. It’s not just good for the listener, but for the voice actor. It ensures they don’t fall into a habit of giving bland reads. You got a great voice though, keep up the good work.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Tim! I did not mean to sound critical, but more excited about the Xterra, so I will watch my delivery on that. I agree that my lists were not as varied as they could have been, so that’s another area I will work on. Thanks for the tips, that’s helpful.

Mary

chas82
      Participant

Misclick

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by chas82.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by chas82.
      chas82
      Participant

Hi Mary
      I could hear the connection of you being a former owner who really liked their SUV. Nice pitch, nice tempo. I agree with the other posters and I also suggest a few little tweaks, At the beginning, I hear “IV” ( like in give) instead of “IF”. Also, at the end of the first phrase, I think if the emphasis moved to the second syllable of invention and you lost the uptalk used on the third, it would better set up what this conditional statement is designed to communicate. I believe but am not sure you were starting to run out of breath at very end of the long sentence starting “after all”. The word “handy” sounded a little slurry. Finally, I think a little more energy would be good applied to the final “Nissan Xterra” – “Xterra” sounded a little bit downbeat and after all, it is what this message is about.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Chas, thanks for the feedback! Yes, I will work on my enunciation on “if” so it doesn’t sound so soft, good catch. Also good tip on the “intention” syllable emphasis. I have to watch uptalk, one time I feel like I eliminate it, and then the next time it pops back up. You are right, I was running out of breath on “handy”. More excitement / energy on Xterra would be good as well. Thanks for the specific notes, this is very helpful!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Hi Mary. I would just echo Svenbot’s comments. I think your reading would benefit from being more conversational, like you were just chatting casually with your best friend and telling them about your X-terra. Hope this helps. Toque

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks Toque, I will work on sounding more conversational, appreciate it!

Mary

svenbot5000
      Participant

Hi Mary! Looks like you in the first sentence you forgot to say ‘of’. It sounds like you’re just saying ‘mother invention’. I would also play with tone a little bit throughout the read. My coach tells me to treat these like we’re telling a story with a beginning, middle and end. Since you owned an Xterra, think back to how much you liked yours as you’re reading. Hope that helps!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Svenbot, thanks for the feedback! That is really weird, I did not catch that I totally smushed the first “of” I will watch the tone variation as well. I was focused on not adding unnecessary pauses where there are no commas, which has been hard, but seems like it should simple. I like the idea of telling a story with a beginning, middle and an end, that really makes sense in making it seem believable, I will work on that too. Thanks for the tips!

Mary

Bill Anciaux
    Participant

Comment moved.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Bill Anciaux.
    Maci Roberts
    Participant

Hi Everyone! Any feedback is appreciated. Feel free to pick apart, the more detail the better. Thank you in advance!

Allstate Insurance – Agent

Go ahead… Make a wish… Now call your Allstate agent. Because today, planning makes wishes come true. And your Allstate agent can help make sure that “family security”, “college funding”, and even a “healthy retirement” are in the stars for you. Your Allstate agent wants to be your agent for life. You’re in good hands with Allstate Life Insurance.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

You got the best voice I’ve heard for this script. Your tone, pitch and tempo were spot on too. However, I think your lists were rather bland and you need more pause between periods and commas, otherwise it sounds like you’re rushing things. Even so, good going.

chas82
      Participant

Maci – I’ll echo the same comments from others. Loved the voice and this was a good choice of copy for you but the tempo needs to be dialed down and you need to respect the ellipses and periods a little more. Slowing down also allows you to emphasize a few more key words and phrases. I look forward to hearing your repost if you decide to do one.

Chas

Toque
      Participant

Hi Macy. Same feedback as others. Great voice!The pace just felt a bit rushed. Great work! Toque

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Maci! Good read! I liked this genre for you and your warm and calm voice. It sounded a little bit quickly paced to me, and in areas with triple periods or periods there was next to no pause at all. You could try really emphasizing / stretching “go ahead” and “make a wish” to draw in listeners and make them a little curious as to what it going to be said. GOod job!

Mary

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Hello, Maci.

I like your distance to the mic and your volume level — feels like you are having a conversation with just me. Loved your delivery on “Your Allstate agent wants to be your agent for life.” If your breaths are louder than you’d like, reduce their volume with your editing software rather than remove them. When you delete breaths entirely it throws off the natural cadence of your delivery and makes it sound…unnatural. I think your voice is a great fit for scripts like this one.

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Hi Maci! I believe you picked a great ad for your voice. It’s very relatable and trustworthy! I think the tempo was a bit speedy–Loved the voice, but the words didn’t stick. Maybe break it up into bite-sized pieces that I can ingest and digest. I’d love to hear it again! 🙂

AndreaC
      Participant

Hi Maci! I love the warmth in your voice – very approachable! I would place a bit more emphasis on “Allstate Life Insurance”. Maybe vary the inflection on the listed items. Nice pace!
      Thanks!

NoreenQuadir
    Participant

Hi – adding more VO practice clips for feedback. These were all recorded via my phone as it’s just for practice. Thanks!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Noreen! Good job on these.
      Script 1: Truebill – The word “forgotten” sounded smushed, like “forgo’en”, with no t. Also you might try emphasizing “Truebill” a little more. By the time the product name is mentioned near the end of the script, the tone drops very low.
      Script 2: Wix – I heard an upwards inflection that sounded more like an unfinished sentence than a statement on “go to Wix.com”. Also, “professional” sounded smushed like “prafessn’l”
      Script 3: Elf – I liked this one the best for you – you sounded the most authentic on this one and invested in the product. I hope that helps. Keep it up!

Mary

Mitch_Crawford
    Participant

Hey there! I found this great bit in the library from Motel 6, and thought it was a good match. Would you pick apart this performance please?

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Sounds great Mitch! Very smooth, good pacing. Tone and volume fit the copy well. Nice work! Toque

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Mitch, Very good! Your voice is warm and reassuring and good for this commercial. I liked your take on this one and the humor in it while not being over the top. Your voice sounded neighborly, which is very fitting for this one. Good job!

Mary

Maci Roberts
      Participant

Your voice is calming and trustworthy. Makes me want to stay at Motel 6! You put the right amount of emotion in the performance, loved it!

Official81
      Participant

Your voice is very nice Mitch! Your voice keeps me listening! You had me convinced that Motel 6 is a great place to stay even though I’m familiar with otherwise. I was actually beginning to think maybe there are still some really nice Motel 6’s around. Just based on your voice nice!

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Morning everyone. Here is an audition for a promotional online video. I forget exactly what the requirements were (this was almost a week ago) but I remember being friendly was part of it… and I think to speak faster than normal because it had to fit within certain time frames. Anyways! Thanks for your feedback you guys!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn, great job! It sounded quick, but fitting for the topic, and very clear and friendly too. Very good!

Mary

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Many thanks, you guys! Auditioning sure is a bit more nerve-racking!

Bill Anciaux
        Participant

Hey, Katelyn.
        I especially liked your relaxed, friendly tone of your performance, which you settled into following the first phrase. The list (explore, deepen, get lost) was so good. The phrase “following the link in the description below” could have been just a bit more articulated, since it is the call to action. Overall, really engaging and warm. Great job.

Official81
        Participant

You will be fine you do an awesome job! Your thoughts become things you got it girl! Think it into existance!

Official81
      Participant

Very Nice Katelyn! And great luck I really hope that you get it! Your read sounds excellent I may have only expected the tempo to be a bit faster, but only because you mentioned it. Otherwise you sound nice and clear. I would want to follow the link that you talk about just based on the friendliness of your voice and the perfect amount of energy. Sounded very natural.

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Such an upbeat voice Katelyn! I wanna follow that link! I guess my only question would be whether or not something came directly after this, as your inflection on the last syllable may suggest? Love this audition!

AlexisVO
    Participant

Hi all, Looking for any feedback on this corporate narration script. Thanks!

Welcome to advance technology incorporated and to the excitement and challenges of a growing business. As a new employee, your job is important to us. Your success is an important factor in the success of this company. This software is designed to offer you accurate information about company policies and procedures, benefit packages, performance reviews, training and education opportunities.

Attachments:
      kevinwiland
      Participant

Hi Alexis, very nice read. Your voice is very relaxed and inviting. I’m a beginner, so take my feedback for what it’s worth: I do feel like at times it is more “announcer-like” rather than conversational. You might want to try imagining you are talking to one person rather than a large group. Overall, I think your voice works really well for this genre.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Alexis, I love your voice for this script! So nice, warm, smooth and welcoming. The only thing I would offer is that maybe a little more variation in tone could be to the list of each of the 4 items at the end of the script. Really good work!

Mary

Official81
      Participant

Well hello Alexis my name is also Alexis I go by Lexi though. Your voice is very welcoming and confident in this read. Your sound quality is also great! When you say “as a new employee” the word employee tails off and almost sounds like employ. But this sounds awesome I’m sure you could punch and roll to fix that.

AlexisVO
        Participant

Thanks, Lexi!

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hi there Alexis, very nice read. Your read was smooth and didn’t have unnecessary pauses throughout. Your tone was warm and comforting, I agree with Marc, very professional sounding. I think with your long list, the words “performance reviews” was a bit lost. Great work!

AlexisVO
        Participant

Thanks! I get what you mean. I appreciate your feedback.

Marc Briggs
      Participant

Alexis, your voice is very well suited to this script. The welcoming and professional tone comes through very well. The voice is clear and calm, and the recording quality is excellent to my ears. One quibble is that the “and” at the end should be de-emphasized a bit in favor of giving the more important words around it more of a boost. Overall great job!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Marc Briggs.
        AlexisVO
        Participant

Thanks very much for your feedback!

kevinwiland
    Participant

Hi all, please let me know what you think of this recording of “9 Planets”. Thanks for your feedback!

Attachments:
      Official81
      Participant

Hi Kevin! Nice read! If you just want an opinion on the read it was great you did well at maintaining your pitch. I agree with Alexis you souned far away from your mic which is something easily corrected. I just found out yesterday that i was talking into the wrong part of my mic and instructed on how to correct it. So I know that the position of your mic is detrimental to the overall audio. But definately an easy fix. Great Job.

AlexisVO
      Participant

Hi Kevin, I like your read of the script. I thought you started out with a good energy level and kept that going, and the pace was good. In terms of sound quality, you sounded far away from the mic and I feel like I didn’t fully hear the range of your voice.

I noticed that the script talks about 9 planets…R.I.P. Pluto, you’ll always be #9 to me! 🙂

Amitofu
    Participant

Hey! any feedback is appreciated:

Somewhere in the Caribbean, there are 5-star luxury resorts where it’s all-inclusive, all the time. Sandals, where love is all you need. Because everything else is included. Call 1-800-Sandals.

With Spotify, it’s easy to find the right music for every moment – on your phone, your computer, your tablet and more. There are millions of tracks on Spotify. So whether you’re working out, partying or relaxing, the right music is always at your fingertips. Soundtrack your life with Spotify. Subscribe or listen for free.

It’s amazing! I never thought one cereal would make my whole family stay for breakfast. HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS. There’s never been a cereal like it. With big corn flakes and crunchy bunches of oats. Finally … a cereal my whole family loves.

Attachments:
      Official81
      Participant

Hello Amitofu! Your voice is amazing. Very nice job on all three reads. I did notice unnecessary pauses in reads 2 and 3 which caused you reads to not sound like natural conversation. It almost sounds like your reading, the pauses for punctuation seemed to long. But each sentence was paced well and your energy was great I actually did the Honey Bunches of Oats and the Sandals myself. LOL I think that if you read as if your speaking to a person it will make your reads seamless. Your Sandals read had the perfect amount of conversational transition between each sentence. That one was really nice.

AlexisVO
      Participant

Nice job on these scripts! Out of the 3, I think your enthusiasm builds with each read. The Sandals one has a good pace and I can clearly hear all the words in the script, but I didn’t feel a lot of energy. It’s nice and relaxed, which is what you want to be on vacation. You sounded more excited about Spotify and your energy was great for the cereal script. Good pace and inflection too.

Erik B
    Participant

Hello everybody. I’m looking for feedback on my performance and recording quality. Thanks.

Corona Refresca

Corona Refresca brings the flavor and the feeling of the tropics straight to you. Crisp, flavorful, and never too sweet, Corona Refresca is a new premium, alcohol-spiked refresher, available in Passionfruit Lime, Guava Lime and Coconut Lime. Corona Refresca. Bring the Tropics.

Attachments:
      Official81
      Participant

Hi Erik! Sounds great! I do hear the plosives with your “F’ and “P” and I actually just learned how to avoid those so I will share. When you notice a script that has words that begin with letters “P” “B” & “F” these consonants create plosives. I learned that if you speak on the side of your mic and not directly into it the air pressure that would have caused the plosive will go right by your microphone capsule and avoid the plosive entirely. I tried it and it works. In some cases a plosive is unavoidable and can easily be edited out I don’t know what DAW you use but I use Audacity and it can be edited a number of different ways. Amplify, Fade In/Fade Out, and by using the envelope tool in Audacity. Hope this helps! Nice Job.

katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hi there! I love this script and I think your energy and passion for this topic is coming through, you have great energy for this commercial! There are a few things that stood out to me. You emphasized the word “and” in ” and the feeling” but you should be emphasizing the word “feeling”. And is not really ever the important word, but the thing that comes after it is. You treated the list really nicely “Crisp, flavorful, and never too sweet” because you have a different feel and intention behind each part of the list. There were a couple of times you pitched down which could get in the way of sounding positive. You pitched down on the word “refresher”. So these are just a couple things that stood out to me, but nice work! 🙂

Amitofu
      Participant

The overall tone is good. I notice each time you say an ‘f’ sound there’s a extra spittle type sound (sorry I don’t know quite how to say). At ‘crisp, flavorful’ there’s either a lip smack or a pop. And at the end, when you last say “Corona Refresca” the mic definitely pops. These are all minor issues, and being hydrated will probably help. You’ve got the voice down good, just minor tweaks needed.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.