Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    debbyc
    Participant

Hi everyone. I am looking to get feedback on my first two narration script readings. How is my pace? Do I sound conversational? All feedback is greatly appreciated.

ScottCarr
    Participant

Hello everyone. First time posting. Two practice scripts. Any feedback appreciated.

Starbucks About Us Page
    Every day, we go to work hoping to do two things: share great coffee with our friends and help make the world a little better. It was true when the first Starbucks opened in 1971, and it’s just as true today.
    Back then, the company was a single store in Seattle’s historic Pike Place Market. From just a narrow storefront, Starbucks offered some of the world’s finest fresh-roasted whole bean coffees. The name, inspired by Moby Dick, evoked the romance of the high seas and the seafaring tradition of the early coffee traders.

Ancient Alien Theory
    According to ancient alien theorists, extraterrestrials with superior knowledge of science and engineering landed on Earth thousands of years ago, sharing their expertise with early civilizations and forever changing the course of human history. But how did this concept develop, and is there any evidence to support it?
    Ancient alien theory grew out of the centuries-old idea that life exists on other planets, and that humans and extraterrestrials have crossed paths before. The theme of human-alien interaction was t****t into the spotlight in the 1960s, driven by a wave of UFO sightings and popular films like 2001: A Space Odyssey. The space program played no small part in this as well: If mankind could travel to other planets, why couldn’t extraterrestrials visit Earth?
    In 1968, the Swiss author Erich von Däniken published Chariots of the Gods?, which became an immediate bestseller. In it, he put forth his hypothesis that, thousands of years ago, space travelers from other planets visited Earth, where they taught humans about technology and influenced ancient religions.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      debbyc
      Participant

Hi Scott, both are very clear with great pronunciation. I would like to recommend slowing down a bit on each.

ScottCarr
        Participant

Thank you very much for your feedback. Much appreciated!

DicksonVO
    Participant

Hello everyone! Looking for feedback on these 2 commercial (conversational) VOs as VO training homework. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
      debbyc
      Participant

Hey there! I thought both were good reads. Very nice, kept my attention.

Jahna Bobolia
    Participant

Hello! Feedback appreciated! Looking specifically for creative feedback rather than technical feedback.

Attachments:
      ScottCarr
      Participant

Hi Jahna. I liked your reads very much! Sounded quite natural to me, not like you were just reading a script. I also thought your pacing was good.

Dominic
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Uploading a few commercial practice takes, any feedback appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments:
      Jahna Bobolia
      Participant

I enjoyed the H4H read. It sounded conversational and authentic.

Krista Andersen
    Participant

Hi all, This is my first time here, just started my 1st coaching classes. Looking for creative feedback only, please. Appreciate your time and looking forward to learning together!

Attachments:
    alayne_chappell
    Participant

Hello everyone! This is my first post and I’m new to voice over so a lot of room for improvement! Please note I’m not looking for tech-related feedback since this was recorded on my phone in my closet 🙂 I’m mostly focused on e-learning and education and working on reducing glottal stops and coming off authentic; and just getting started understanding what I need to work on. Thank you so much for any feedback.

-Alayne

Attachments:
      DicksonVO
      Participant

Alayne…recorded from your phone? WOW…GOOD READS! Your voice feels so natural for e-learning or education. My one comment would be to slow just a bit. Since it’s e-learning, 2 important things are happening. 1) There are more than likely visuals (videos or slides) that are going along with this and…2) there are people trying to digest the information you are delivering. You can slow your VO read slightly per slide because the slides or video will be on the screen for 3-5 seconds and that should allow the learner time to digest the information. Make sense?

Your read was very authentic, but in trying to be authentic we sometimes have the tendency to talk faster. I bet if you paced yourself a tad bit slower you could still achieve a great authentic read. Good luck!

alayne_chappell
        Participant

Thank you so much for this feedback! I’ll definitely work on slowing my pace and that’s good advice to think about the slides/video as I’m recording.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Hi Alayne,
      That was a good read from your phone. And I think you can do much better with practice. When I listened to your recordings, it sounded like I was hearing Alexa for e-learning. Practice connecting and engaging with your listeners more as you perform your copies.

alayne_chappell
        Participant

Thanks for your feedback! That’s good advice to practice engaging with the listener more.

tmanning.tix
    Participant

Greetings All.
    Still working on editing these pieces but also looking for feedback on delivery and tone. Thanks for listening.

Attachments:
      Jahna Bobolia
      Participant

Nice sound, I would try slowing the scripts down.

TalVerd
    Participant

Hello everyone! looking to get feedback on 2 scripts today. Specifically, I’m only looking for performance feedback, no technical feedback. (I don’t have a studio set up yet, so it’s going to sound a bit off)

Attachments:
      Krista Andersen
      Participant

Hi TalVerd, nice readings. I’m new to this so take my suggestion lightly 😉 You have a nice sounding voice but it seems more “announcer” than conversational or “yours”. My coach pointed out for me too so maybe that’s why I’m picking up on it more.

waninick
    Participant

Hey Gang…! Been a bit, but looking forward to interacting a lot more in the coming weeks.
    This is a recording I put together today from the script library. I know the room sound is not what it should, or will, be, but looking more for a review of the delivery.

Thanks for your time.

TimG

Attachments:
      Krista Andersen
      Participant

Hi Tim, really enjoyed listening to this one! Made me want to hop on the train and head to Navy Pier! Very personal feel to your voicing.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Hi Tim,
      That was a very nice performance. I like how you emphasize key words in the copy and deliver positive energy that the listeners want to hear.
      There is a moment where I think emphasizing, “Now if they could only operate the microwave”, with some humor could be helpful.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.