Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    CptAmerica757
    Participant

Hi all!

I have recently built my newest DIY soundbooth, and recorded two quick commercial reads and was hoping to get any and all critique and feedback! The reads were in my “normal everyday’ style voice, well at least an attempt at that lol. This is my first time using a condenser mic and a pre-amp as well, so if the audio quality is bad and it might be because I didn’t set the hardware up correctly, please let me know! 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Skinnydog351
      Participant

Room sounds fine! If there’s enough room, try mic’ing in different areas and listen for any subtle changes. Mastering you audio chain can take patience and perseverance. Keep at it!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi CptAmerica757! I like both reads and how you varied it up for each of them. I’m not fully setup to give feedback on recording quality, but the tone and pacing and clarity of the reads were very good and your voice is good for both genres. I feel like the second read for “We All Belong” sounded more authentic for you. Good job!

Mary

CptAmerica757
        Participant

Hey mkell755,

Thank you so much for your feedback! Sometimes i find myself over-thinking is my pacing too fast or slow/does it flow consistently, is the tone communicating the message of the script, and most importantly can all of my words be heard and understood lol. So seeing that note alleviated a lot of that anxiety!

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

Hi there! Just a couple of practice reads for narration. The one I have posted before for the women’s documentary going on my demo and the second is for an internet video! Thought I would post the 2 different types of reads.
    The women’s doc is straightforward, factual
    The internet one is hopefully friendly upbeat and conversational

Attachments:
      CYeschenko
      Participant

Nice work! The difference between the two is very clear- you nailed the pacing of the second read in particular, so perhaps bringing a more conversational pacing to the first on while keeping the factual, straightforward tone would suit it even more?

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Katelyn! Good reads! Both are very clear and straightforward, with good pacing and emphasis on key words to help listener understanding. The first one comes across as more factual and the second is a bit more conversational as you intended, really good!

Mary

JasonCawley
    Participant

Hello all,

Working on a guided meditation bit to add to my demo. Let me know what you think. (I’m not worried about the background clacks/noises)

Thanks!

—-

Find a quiet place in which to take a comfortable seat
    Sit up tall and close your eyes
    Breathe patiently and fully, yet gently and quietly
    In and out through your nose

Give yourself permission to do nothing
    Give yourself permission to embrace this moment of stillness
    There’s nothing at all that needs to be done
    Other than staying here, relatively still, watching the breath

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Jason, good work! I liked the phrasing for all of the lines except for “…moment of stillness” and “…needs to be done”. The rest of the lines ended in a lower tone, but those two not as much (they kindof lilted up at the ends); just felt like all of the lines / commands should end with a downward tone to keep the relaxed vibe of the entire script. Good work on this one!

Mary

jmtarleton
    Participant

Hello everyone! I hope February is kind to you.

Here are a few narration homework scripts for review and feedback. I very much appreciate the help!

All the best,

John

Door County Fish Boil
    Even people who don’t like fish, have been known to like this fish. That’s why a fish boil is a must-do experience when you visit Door County. It all starts with a blazing bonfire under a kettle of salted water. People circle around to warm themselves and take in the crisp smell. When the temperature is just right and the crackle of the fire is just loud enough, the boil master adds a basket of potatoes and onions to the kettle. A few crackles later, the mild whitefish steaks, fresh from Lake Michigan, are delicately lowered in. At just the right moment, kerosene is tossed into the fire, exciting the blaze and causing the water to boil over, dramatically carrying off the fish oil that has collected on top. The fish are pulled out and greeted with a generous drizzling of butter. Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is served.

AETNA
    No matter where we live–when it comes to something as important as health care–we all want the best. That’s why AETNA and US HEALTHCARE have joined forces to create a partnership that will set a new standard for quality and caring. AETNA and US HEALTHCARE. Raising a standard for your town, for your family, and for you.

Advance Technology Inc.
    Welcome to Advance Technology Incorporated and to the excitement and challenges of a growing business. As a new employee, your job is important to us. Your success is an important factor in the success of this company. This software is designed to offer you accurate information about company policies and procedures, benefit packages, performance reviews, training and education opportunities.

Attachments:
      Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Hey, John. Your performance on the Aetna piece is my favorite. You inflection/intonation are more subtle (with the exception of “That’s why Aetna and”) and don’t distract me from the script. The fish boil imagery is quite good too. I think you are much too enthusiastic on the Advanced Technology piece and would suggest a tone closer to the Aetna piece would work better. It’s okay to be less perfect with your articulation too; at times it sounds a little too polished and loses some authenticity. Nice work. Bill A.

jmtarleton
        Participant

Thank you kindly for listening and for the suggestions, Bill!

[email protected]
    Participant

Hi all,
    Just practicing for my commercial demo record next week – I’m trying to focus on sounding casual and friendly while still keeping some youthful professionalism and being specific with my choices. I definitely got tripped up on a few words in this read (which i just pulled from the script library), but would love any and all feedback, thank you!!
    WeeLearn
    Most of us know there are ways we can improve… to be healthier… happier… more effective… but knowing how to improve is a different matter. Without guidance, we often simply stay the same.
    Welcome to Weelearn – a platform where well-known experts and authors can help you get stronger in all areas of your life. Using the Weelearn video library, you can protect your body, strengthen your mind and spirit, become a more positive influence in your relationships, pursue success more confidently at work, and so much more.
    Our experts are taken from fields of hard science, like psychology, but also areas of broader wisdom, like spirituality. And with videos broken up into digestible parts, and supplemented by exercises and games, the next step to your best self is truly only a few clicks away.
    Don’t be stuck in life, love, work – or anything! Try Weelearn for yourself today.
    Weelearn – learning through watching.

Attachments:
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

Hey there! Nice read! I think the only part that stood out to me was near the end:

“. And with videos broken up into digestible parts, and supplemented by exercises and games, the next step to your best self is truly only a few clicks away.” I think this sentence was a little bit fast, if you could give these concepts a little more attention “videos broken up into digestible parts” ironically I felt I needed a little time to digest those words in my brain lol

Don’t be stuck in life, love, work – or anything!
      And I think this list was read a little fast as well, remember to give each item of the list a slightly different feel.

Other than that I thought this was great! 🙂

Katelyn

PrettyLoud
      Participant

Hey, wow! That was a read with no cuts or edits, am I right? That was amazing for a full-take! You sound very clear, articulate, and easy to understand. I saw that you were working on casual/friendly. You chose a great script for this purpose. I think you could go in a more friendly/smiley for this read in particular. I think if the person you are talking to is looking for guidance in trying to improve something about their health and mental well-being, they are also probably a little apprehensive. So if putting on a fake smile feels, well, fake, maybe a smile of reassurance–“I’ve been in your shoes, it’s going to be ok” might be a different way to find that casual/friendly character. It was great to hear you!!

bvalashi
    Participant

Hi Everyone! I’m brand new here and starting to build towards a Commercial demo reel. I’m looking forward to seeing all the ways in which I can improve. Thanks!

Attachments:
      [email protected]
      Participant

I really liked this read! Especially the little chuckle you gave before you said “indulgent” – it went a long way to make you feel authentic and casual. My one piece of feedback would be I think you could shorten your pauses between sentences and after commas just a tiny bit and it would help the flow of the whole piece.

[email protected]
    Participant

The aim of this one was to sound conversational rather than all “salesy”. What do you reckon?

Attachments:
      katelyndawnvo
      Participant

I really love your voice/accent and delivery but I honestly couldn’t really focus on your beautiful performance because of your overuse of a noise gate. You can’t mask ambient noise with a noise gate, you need to treat the area to properly with sound-absorbing panels or an isolation booth. So I wouldn’t worry about trying to mask the noise in your recordings here because it is a place for practice. Take time to properly treat your space for noise so when you are recording at a professional level you don’t need the noise gate anyways.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by katelyndawnvo.
      Moose
      Participant

Sounds conversational. I feel like you just need to smoothe things out a bit. It sounds very ‘start-stop’ to me. I’d work on addressing the echo in the room. And as mentioned, cut off any excess space in the audio file.

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

I think you come across as friendly, neighborly, conversational; however, you emphasize the product name too much at the beginning. Ease up on “Ivory” in that line and you’ve got it. Nitpick: your performance ends at :20 but the file continues playing until 2:46. Be sure to delete the extra silence before submitting. Thanks for sharing. Love the accent, by the way. Bill A.

eemercier
    Participant

Hi there! I’m working with Edge to put together my voiceover demo and would love some feedback on this copy as a potential demo option. We’re going for “young professional” to provide some contrast to my other copy, which is a bit more youthful, fun, and girly. I want to make sure I’m communicating the professionalism without losing the youthful edge and I’m especially working on making sure my read sounds like I’m talking to another person and not just reading. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! I am looking for performance feedback only. Thanks all!

Here’s the copy:
    “I used to run low on cash right before payday and not be able to do anything, but now that I’m banking with Chime, I get paid up to two days early with direct deposit. Plus, Chime helps me grow my savings automatically and, unlike the place I used to bank, Chime doesn’t charge me a bunch of crazy fees. I’d be crazy to go back.”

Attachments:
      bvalashi
      Participant

I really liked the way your voice came across here. Definitely sounded like what you were going for. I agree that maybe delivering this a tad slower will only help the overall read and put even more emphasis on that “young professional” sound you were going for! Great work!

Moose
      Participant

Sounds like a young professional to me. I think you should slow down the pace a bit. There was a bit of a ‘young millenial popping bubblegum while twirling her hair’ moments like the ‘fees’ at ‘…crazy fees.’ Overall though, I think you set out what you wanted to accomplish.

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Not having your other pieces as points of comparison, I think you’ve got a contender with this one. Love the tone and think you do come across as a young professional. Consider who she is talking to in this situation and the balance of youthful/girly and serious/professional would change a bit. For example, is she having a water cooler chat with a young man who was hired recently and whom she doesn’t know well OR is she chatting with her mom (or best friend) over coffee and trying to show her how independent/grown up she is becoming. Might be good practice to try each and compare. Anyway, I like your performance here in and of itself. Thanks for sharing. Bill A.

Moose
    Participant

Would love some feedback on this audiobook I auditioned for. I’ve had success in just about every facet of VO work but just can’t seem to crack the nut that is audiobooks.
    Script:

Dennis begins to look through the hotel register and noticed an inordinately large number of comps. He began writing down the names and addresses of every guest that received any comp. It wasn’t even 8 in the morning yet and the office was empty. The phone rang and it startled him.
    “Hello”
    “Could I speak to Dennis Gomes?”
    “Speaking”
    “Hey, Dennis this is Officer Jacobs from the Chicago Organized Crime unit. We met at the L.E.I.U. convention.”
    “Right. How are you? What can I do for you?”
    “I’m good thanks. I was hoping to check with you regarding our good friend, Tony Spilotro tosee what he’s been up to.”
    “Spilotro has a gift shop he runs at the Circus Circus under a different name, but other than that, he’s been keeping a pretty low profile.”
    “If you see or hear anything about him, could you let me know?” “Sure. No problem. Is something going on?”
    “We’re just working on a m****r case involving him here in Chicago.” Dennis said, “I’ll check in on him for you and will get back to you.”
    “Thanks, man. And, hey, keep in mind, Spilotro is not the type to keep a low profile. He’s demented, a real loose canon.”
    Dennis hung up the phone. The day hadn’t even officially started, but he was back in the action.
    Within an hour Dennis had Dick, Rich, and Duane neck-deep in the Aladdin’s hotel log. Before the magnifying glasses were even out, the red flags began turning up. The three Detroit applicants who had been denied licenses because of their mob ties, had been fully comped at the Alladin, on numerous occasions, for stays lasting up to three weeks. In addition, James Tamer and Phil Peters, both known mobsters, had been comped. In addition, t the soldiers and lieutenants of James “Jimmy” Michaels and John Vitale’s orgainized crime families had also been catered to and fully comped. These were not just little fish or associates of someone, they were made members of the Michaels and Vitale organized crime families.
    The rush was coming back for Dennis. He was gathering photos and information on the Detroit and St. Louis mafia so that when he engaged in his planned undercover surveillance, he would know who to look for. He zoned in on James Michaels, Sr., “Horseshoe Jimmy” as he was once known as, who cut his teeth with the Cuckoos Gang. His criminal career began at an early age Hearrested at just 19 years old for the robbery of the Illinois Central Freight Depot. He subsequently jumped bond but was captured a year later and sentenced to ten years to life. He was briefly released, but arrested again for a series of gangland killings; for which he was never convicted. He served 13 years for the robbery, was released and quickly found his way back to his criminal ways. He worked his way up to Capo of the Syrian faction of the St. Louis mob and wielded a great deal of control over the St. Louis labor unions. Dennis found a picture of old Horseshoe, now close to 70. He had a full head of white hair, coal black beady eyes and a chewed up cigar holding up his lips. His face was twisted into a scowl which Dennis thought made
    him look like one mean son of a b***h. Even though he was in his late 60’s Dennis could tell he was tough.

Attachments:
      Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Moose, I could listen to you narrate books like this. Steady pacing, pleasing intonation, articulate but relaxed. Excellent sound quality and editing. Seemed like you got mixed up in the character dialogue and voiced Dennis as officer Jacobs once. Maybe not. You might be trying too hard to voice the characters differently. I’ve heard some audiobook pros say this is not sustainable over the long haul and not really necessary. The differences can be more subtle than they are in this performance. Now, I’ve only narrated one novel myself, so I don’t know if this is advice worth considering. Regardless, characters make fiction a much more challenging genre, so I’ve focused more on non-fiction auditions and have booked quite a few. Also, not sure why you’d want to pursue long-form narration if you’ve been successful with the more lucrative work. Money must not be the issue? Perhaps you love telling stories. Thanks for sharing. Bill A.

Moose
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Bill. I guess it’s just a pride thing. Just can’t seem to land an audiobook (except for the one from a few years ago). It’s something I’ve been interested in doing more of but haven’t. Wanted to see if there’s something glaringly wrong that I’m doing.

dkosoy
    Participant

Very brief clip for a real estate video featuring a new high-end development. It might be a little fast as I was told to keep it to 15 seconds. Feedback appreciated as always! Thank you. (multiple files attached by accident – they’re the same – don’t know how to delete)

Attachments:
      PrettyLoud
      Participant

Really like your voice and your read for this. And really fantastic audio quality! I like you pace, inflection, all of it…with that kind of script writing, it’s hard not to make a bigger deal out of it, so you really show mastery in subtle interpretation. I don’t know how important the architects names would be, probably not very, but if they were an important selling point or if their architectural style would be explained further, I would need to hear the firm’s name a little more clearly. Fabulous job!

[email protected]
      Participant

I didn’t think it was too fast at all! I think you have a really warm and versatile voice, and did a great job lifting up important words and using imagery. I would say perhaps try to make the first sentence, where you’re announcing what’s for sale, a little more distinct from the second sentence, as they sorta ran together in tone and tempo. Also, a super small thing, but you’re dropping in volume and energy at the ends of your sentences, so I think maintaining that energy right to the last word would really help!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.