Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    burdahgirl
    Participant

Just a practice script from the Edge Library. Thanks for any feedback on this read!

Purina One Brand 2

Purina One Special Formula For Cats is made with real chicken. Good news for your cat. Great news for your canary. For a complete adult diet for your cat and the real chicken he wants, give him Purina One Special Formula. Your canary will thank you for it. Purina One. Second to none.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

Magnificent read! You sound so happy, confident, and inviting. As I’m listening, I can just picture the accompanying video thanks to your read.

Toque
      Participant

Awesome job, in every aspect! Toque

kevinwiland
      Participant

Woah, you are seriously a pro! Very nicely done!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Burdagirl, great read! I really like this one for you. Great energy and very nice smile in your voice. I too was smiling as I heard it. Very good!

Mary

SuperLuke
      Participant

Great smile in your voice. I enjoy the cheerfulness you have as you talk about feeding your cat what they will enjoy. Great performance.

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Love the smile in your voice. The way you say Purina One in the final line…magic. Great job.

ep1800
    Participant

This is the second script.
    Ed

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Ed, good read! You sounded friendly, warm and approachable. Good pacing and energy and it hooked me right from the beginning with “This is Henry!”

Mary

ep1800
        Participant

Mary, thank you for your comments on this read.

RYoung
      Participant

Great realistic delivery on this PSA! I assume you’ll fade or edit out the breaths in lieu of some light background music, sounds very connected to me and good luck with your demo.

SuperLuke
        Participant

I liked the performance. Although I was hearing background noise/static distracting me as a listener. It’s something you might want to eliminate, in case it was your set up or if it’s just my headphone plug in.

ep1800
          Participant

Super Luke, thanks for your comments. Can you be any more specific about the background noise?

ep1800
    Participant

Hi I am working on a couple of scripts for a commercial demo. Would appreciate your comments.
    Thank you. Ed

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

You’re doing great. I love your tone, volume, and pitches, but the tempo sounds choppy. I can tell you’re breathing and it sounds like your pausing in the middle of the sentence. It’s important to make sure the read flows and save pauses for commas, periods, etc.

ep1800
        Participant

Tim, thank you for your comments. yes, pausing is an ongoing challenge for me.
        Ed

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Ed, good job! I liked your hushed tone which felt emotionally connected and sensitive to the topic discussed. Good job!

Mary

ep1800
        Participant

Mary, thank you for commenting on the read. I want to also thank you for comments you made on a read I did a couple of weeks ago,but did not acknowledge them. Please accept my apologies!
        Ed

SuperLuke
      Participant

Very well done. I thought the performance was very heartfelt and eye-opening to the audience.

ep1800
        Participant

SuperLuke, thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

RYoung
      Participant

Sorry I think I replied to the wrong recording this one was the one I meant to reply to. The one above about home Depot seems good as well in a natural conversational style although you may want to change tone or get a little more enthusiastic for the ending hope that helps!

ep1800
        Participant

RYoung, thanks for your comments on the read. Yes, I think your point about more energy toward the end id right on!

Michelle
    Participant

Hello all! This is short and sweet. I look forward to the feedback!

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

I think the way you’re reading is quite fitting. You sound like an authority on the subject, you’re commanding and inspirational, but I’m noticing a lot of pauses and breaths. It’s important to avoid making the script choppy, especially when it’s short like this. Even so, well done!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Michelle, good job! Short but really effective and well done. You sounded very approachable, confident, and down to earth.

Mary

SuperLuke
      Participant

I enjoyed the performance, short sweet and to the point

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Hi, Michelle.

I like the way you contrasted the first two lines and, especially, how you delivered “…your immune system is” with a slight smile. You pause a bit too long between “is” and “with” which breaks the flow of this sentence. It does make the product name stand out but I found it slightly jarring. Nice job on the closing line and not dropping off on “immune system strong.” Very pleasant voice! I could hear a couple plosives, which you will want to eliminate through mic technique and maybe a pop filter. Thanks for sharing. Bill A.

Bill Anciaux
    Participant

Hello,

Thought I’d loosen up a bit tonight and bring more inflection with a light-hearted piece. That shirt rustle is a good reminder to wear “quiet” clothes when recording. Thanks for any feedback… Bill A.

My child has quite an imagination. His teachers say that some day he’ll be doing great things. Right now, he’s already an architect, a designer, an engineer … I think he’s a creative genius … and thanks to Legos, the creative building toy, there’s just no limit to what he can do, LEGOS … the creative diversion that helps develop a child’s potential.

Attachments:
      BarbC
      Participant

I haven’t been here in a while, but I’m glad to be back. Nice job! I like your light hearted, matter of fact tone and I enjoyed the way you told the story. One thought is that you might try taking this to an even lighter note by leaning into a little bit of spirited boasting about your creative genius child. 🙂 Just another approach to consider. Nicely done!

SuperLuke
        Participant

I enjoyed the performance very much. I appreciated the heartfelt emotions you inserted to the script. Very nice.

Bill Anciaux
        Participant

Hey, Barb. Thank you for the encouraging feedback. I agree with your suggestion and think I’ll have a go at that later today. Welcome back to the forum. I first discovered this community back in 2010 and have always enjoyed coming back. Where are you on your VO journey? Regards, Bill A.

BarbC
          Participant

Hi Bill. Thanks, it’s good to be back. I started down this road in 2016 and fell away.. wish I had continued then but nothing happens before it’s time I guess, right? Onward and upward! I’m back, fully engaged and having a good time learning. I should be posting soon! Best, BarbC.

RYoung
      Participant

Very nice conversational and enthusiastic tone to this Bill! If you want any critique I would say there are 3 slurred words in there which maybe were done on purpose, I know because I have done the same thing with lists. It’s like a stutter where you extend a word to sound as though your thinking as you speak, it actually creates more realism; “a designer” and “I think” are two I noticed but maybe it was on purpose, enjoyed that though along with my grandson who is a Leggo enthusiast!

Bill Anciaux
        Participant

Hey, Rich. Yep, I was trying to sound conversational, speaking my thoughts as they were coming to me. And maybe a little hesitant to brag too much about my son. Anyway, I appreciate your critique and your grandson’s endorsement! Good to know he’s engaged in creative diversions! Thanks, Bill A.

GJS
    Participant

Quick Re-Do Aetna-US Healthcare For Class – Flat Read

Attachments:
      kevinwiland
      Participant

Good job — I would just focus on getting a little more emotion from this read. If healthcare is really important, you’re not making it seem important. I should feel more “care” with the first two sentences.
      Just my thoughts.

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

I really like the way you said “to create a partnership that will set a new standard for quality and caring.” You sounded most connected to the script here, warm and inspiring. I think this connection should come across throughout the piece, whether it’s a flat read or not. Thanks, Bill A.

RYoung
      Participant

sounds very good mostly, I did notice a little hesitation in turning the script tone more positive when you talk about Aetna partnering, maybe you want a enthusiastic change there?

SuperLuke
        Participant

I enjoyed the performance. I think you have a great recording quality. I heard a little bit of hesitancy but it’s barely noticeable. Good job!

Erik B
    Participant

Hello everybody, I’m practicing some more commercial scripts, as I have my demo coming up this week. Please provide feedback on performance and recording quality. Thanks.

Honest Tea

Open a bottle of Honest Tea and discover and honest world. Filled with real brewed organic tea leaves and delicious organic honey. Or, you could just take a look at the label. Honest Tea. Refreshingly honest.

Attachments:
      Michelle
      Participant

I love the way that you ended this on a positive note. The beginning of the read sounded a little bit presentational and not very conversational. I’m thinking that the listener that is attracted to something that is “honest” might be more inclined to pay attention to a friend. Great voice though!

SuperLuke
      Participant

Good performance altogether. But then I re-listened to the beginning again. When you say “Open a bottle of Honest Tea and discover an honest world”, the “H” in ‘honest’ sounded rushed. Almost like you were saying “Onest, more with an ‘O’ sound, without the h. But it was a good performance altogether.

Skinnydog351
    Participant

Hi everyone, I hope you’re healthy and well. Here are some of the auditions I’ve done in the past week. Let me know what you think. By the way, I didn’t get hired for any of them.

1. Fed Ex Office Commercial

2. Video instruction for prospective employees

3. Video “thank you” from a corporate client

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Skinnydog351.
    Attachments:
      Erik B
      Participant

Hi Skinnydog, I haven’t yet trained in narration VO, so I’m just going to provide feedback for the FedEx commercial read. I enjoyed the commercial read. The tone of the read is solid as is the tempo. You differentiate well between sentences, and the items in the list. Lastly the recording quality sounds good. Great job.

dschneider411
      Participant

You have a fantastic voice! It’s a struggle to find points to critique.. maybe the energy in the FedEx read didn’t quite connect in the middle, but I thought you had it by the end. If I were going to tweak anything else in that read I might play with the lists .. I can hear the differentiation but it almost sounds a bit too intentional if I’m being picky. As for the other two reads — rock solid. You’re voice is very impressive .. in fact, I believe I’ve heard your work.

Bill Anciaux
      Participant

Hello, I like the way you connect words and phrases together within a phrase/sentence — really professional. Not sure I agree with your choice to edit your performances as you did here, however, removing breaths and some of the pause that would naturally happen between sentences. It makes the rhythm of each piece too constant, in my opinion. Your voice is like a dish of Rocky Road ice cream — smooth, creamy, and deliciously textured. (Feel free to put that on your website.) But I wonder if you love hearing yourself in the headphones. Reason I ask is your performances sound slightly affected to me, like you’re a little caught up with the beauty of your voice. When I crank up my headphones, I tend to listen to my voice too much and don’t stay as connected to the script. It’s a subtle thing. What if you tried performing with headphones off. It might help you listen less and relax into the read…and do it in one take, rather than splice the best version of each sentence together. My apologies if my assumptions are way off. Also, that third piece stood out to me, nice full levels. I heard a small plosive on the first phrase of the second one, between “sleep” and “guide.” Small thing but it could have cost you.

Anyway, I enjoyed each piece and respect your skills. Thanks, Bill A.

Bbaranek0597
    Participant

Hi all, getting some practice in as I work toward a narration demo. Took a crack at a medical and e-learning script. Any feedback is appreciated. The medical read just felt like a string of large words… I tried to get it to flow as best as I could, but it felt like foreign language.

Guitar Tip
    And now for the Guitar Tip Of The Week:
    Take care of your hands. You can finger notes more easily if you keep the nails on your fret hand trimmed short. Leave the nails on your picking hand slightly longer to facilitate plucking the strings. Rough edges on your nails will impair the tone of your playing, so be sure to use a good set of clippers and an emery board to maintain smooth nail tips. Wash your hands prior to playing. Clean hands transmit less dirt and help maintain string life and tone.

Phytophotodermatitis (Medical Narration)
    Phytophotodermatitis is a nonimmunologic phototoxic cutaneous eruption resulting from contact with photosensitizing substances found in plants; furocoumarins (present in limes and other plants) are typically implicated and get activated following exposure to sunlight, especially 320-400 nanometer UVA rays.

Attachments:
      dschneider411
      Participant

I agree with Skinnydog – you have a great voice! But there were pauses in the read that make it choppy. Also, it sounded like the wrong emphasis on “board” when you read ’emery board’ in the guitar script. I must say, considering the difficulty of a medical script your inflections seemed fine to me .. I wouldn’t have guessed that it felt like a foreign language. Smooth out your reads so they’re less choppy, and you’re off to the races!

Bbaranek0597
        Participant

Awesome, thank you for the feedback- Appreciate yourself and Skinnydog. Will smooth for the future.

Skinnydog351
      Participant

Nice voice but watch the pausing. Choppy reads are one of the big reasons people don’t get hired. Read the sentences in a more fluid and connected way and people will hear that great voice and not be distracted by the read. Good Luck!

Bbaranek0597
        Participant

Thank you very much for the feedback! Ill work on it for my next read.

kevinwiland
    Participant

Hi everyone, more practicing! Please ignore all studio issues, especially the obvious punch in at 0:42. Just looking for feedback on my technique. Thanks!

Script:
    Alacola Valley
    Water. Clear, fresh and life-giving to the crops of the Alacola Valley. Rushing ever onward to the sea. The waters of the Minset River visit this lush valley to replenish the soil and color the land. Yellow citrus, green vegetables, blueberries and ruby-red fruit checkerboard the landscape in brilliant hues. Farmers, who have tended this land for generations move from field to field inspecting the size, calculating weight and measuring progress. Progress is slow. But only with time can the flavors of the Alacola Valley reach perfection. And it’s perfection that the Alacola Valley is all about. The possibility of a early frost, the likelihood of invading insects and the consequence of even 3 extra days of rain weighs heavily on the minds of the land’s caretakers. But today is glorious and worry will wait until tomorrow.

Attachments:
      JohnFinn
      Participant

Hi Kevin- between 26-29 seconds “field inspecting the size,” maybe a bit of exhausted breathe? Sounds good for a narrative work!

RYoung
      Participant

Good job on this documentary narration work. You sound similar to a local narrator I used to hear in San Francisco who had a show on weekly for destinations to visit with a nature theme. As far as your delivery I like the flow and also your excitement to the read, my only suggestion would be to try and relax to come across as more intimate to your listener as they say so they feel you are just talking to them. Hope that helps and keep up the great work!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.