Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    darleneharris
    Participant

Hi Everyone!

Here’s a recording of an e-learning narration script as I continue to work towards my narration demo. Any and all feedback is much appreciated!

Reading music is often seen as a mysterious and arcane art – but it doesn’t have to be that way! The easy-to-follow lessons and innovative accompanying CD in How to Read Music will show you how to decode those little black dots and, in a short time, you’ll be surprised how fluent you’ve become!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Darlene! Good work on this one. Your voice is nice and warm and welcoming for this type of read. You have good variation in tone and energy – very nice!

Mary

jasjol71
    Participant

As part of my narration demo, I would like to include something from the true crime genre. These are my first two attempts. My wife says I don’t sound evil enough… I’d love to hear which one you all think is best and any specific pointers!

1. M****R FOR HIRE. It began, cops would tell Nancy, when they stopped a man named Aaron Wilkinson for a simple traffic violation. After spotting a gun in his car, deputies took Wilkinson to the station and were shocked when he told them he’d been hired to k**l a woman he didn’t even know. So who then who was the intended target? That’s right: Nancy Latham.

2. DISAPPEARANCE OF TANNER WARD. Tenton, Missouri, is too small of a town to get lost in. But one evening last June, 19-year-old Tanner Ward, engaged to be married, father to a precious baby girl, vanished into thin air. Tanner’s family desperately searches for him, and police follow up on every lead, but they’re all dead ends.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Jasjo171, good work! I love the true crime genre too. I really enjoyed the performance – you have a warm, friendly voice and it was really well done, but I too am not hearing a more serious tone for the reads. Maybe try it with the thought in mind that Nancy Latham is your sister and you are reporting on how she narrowly escaped getting killed. Imagine how relieved you would feel after hearing this news. Maybe think about trying it with a level of personal concern and seriousness. Lead-ins are really helping me get into the feel of the scripts – for this one, it could be something like “Did you hear what happened to my sister Nancy?”

For the second read I would say the same thing, but it sounded a little more connected to me than the first read. Overall very good!

Mary

CYeschenko
    Participant

Trying some different copy and continuing to practice! Any comments are appreciated, especially related to performance. Thanks!

Functional Fitness

Welcome to our functional training series. Breaking it down, functional training is simply turning your attention to training the body for movements we perform as we go about our daily lives. Movements like standing , sitting, stepping, reaching, pushing, pulling, getting balanced. Our training series has broken down those movements into a series of workouts to help you draw attention to how you perform those activities on a daily basis. This is designed to bring your awareness to your posture and your form, to the muscle groups that allow you to work in those capacities and hopefully keep you safe and keep you strong.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi CYeschenko, good work! I remember recording this one a while back and I was having trouble finding places to breathe, the script has some pretty long phrases – you did very well on that! Good variation in the lists (“…standing , sitting, stepping, reaching, pushing, pulling, getting balanced”), and really clear diction, which is perfect for this genre. Very good!

Mary

jasjol71
      Participant

Extremely pleasant voice to listen to. The first couple of sentences sounded a bit choppy to me, but then you seemed to connect your words better toward the end. I also had the impression that you sped up a bit at the end. Overall, well done!

rogue1
    Participant

Hello, everyone! Another pass at alternate reads on this script–my thanks to Mary (mkell755) and tomnunes for their fantastic input!

Also found that my mic was picking up some low level ambient noise (because New York), so I’ve made the move into a home studio (i.e. the hall closet with a pillow stuffed behind my mic). Please let me know if there’s an improvement in sound quality. (I feel Take 1 “in the wild” sounds better than the takes in the studio/closet. I’m guessing I need further sound dampening in my “booth” to alleviate the hollow quality).

As always, all comments are welcome on both performance and recording quality. My thanks for taking the time to listen!

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER

Look at us, heads down, our noses pressed against tiny little screens constantly searching for the next big thing. The next big thing isn’t happening in the palm of your hand,
    it’s happening above you –far above you. Come to where the most amazing things on earth… soar high above it. The Kennedy Space Center. Look up!

Attachments:
      tomnunes
      Participant

Mr. Rogue! Nice work! In these reads there is a lot more encouragement in getting your listener to come to the KSC. Of these four, I liked the first best, up until “Come to where the most amazing things on earth… soar high above it.” As before, you didn’t honor the ellipses. But you did in the others. And for that line, I liked 3 the best. I think it best captured the irony that the the most amazing things on earth are not on earth.

For sound quality in that last 3, I think you’re right in your assessment. It sounds like you’re in a tin can. There may be a lot of sound reflecting surfaces in the space. You’ll need more than a pillow behind your mic. Fill your closet with clothes, or blankets or other sound absorbent materials. And if the closet remains open to your hallway, consider ways to damped reflective surfaces in the hallway – rugs on the floor, foam on the walls. If you can close the door, give that a try.

rogue1
        Participant

Thanks, Tom! Really appreciate your comments–and yes, I still bulldozed those ellipses on the first read (Guess I’m unconsciously trying to edit). Thanks, too, for your thoughts on my make-shift booth set-up. It was my first stab at creating the space (read: I simply pulled stuff out of the closet and climbed in 😅). I’ve got padding to hang on the walls and door, plus a rug for the floor which should help with the ricochet sound. Very reassuring insights–I was sweating it a bit about the space!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Rogue1, really solid work! I liked #1 best for sound quality and the read overall. Each read had some nice variations too, but #1 had a great range of inflection in addition to delivering the script in a conversational way without stretching it out unnaturally.

The sound quality for reads 2, 3 and 4 do sound hollow, not sure how you alleviate that. I’m using a portable isolation booth now which has made a big difference for me (would have been difficult to soundproof my home studio otherwise). I’ve been working with the sound engineers at Sweetwater and they are sooooo helpful in offering solutions to tweak my home studio, help with my mic, etc. Excellent work on these as per usual, and you are welcome for offering feedback!

Mary

rogue1
        Participant

As always, thank you, Mary! Read #1 is in my living room and the remaining 3 reads are in my hall closet (I’m amazed that the open space sounds better than the closed one–though there my mic is still picking up a low, ambient hum). Thanks, too, for the great tips on Sweetwater and the portable isolation booths. I’m looking into both–*very* helpful suggestions! Plus the portable booth could pull double duty for Zoom calls!

mkell755
          Participant

Hey you are welcome Rogue! Sweetwater have really helped me out, their customer service is great. It is weird that your living room sound is better than a hall closet, but they were telling me that sometimes if it is a tiny closet with lots of clothes and things, but not much room to soundproof, it can deaden the sound too much. Sounds counterintuitive but I tried in one of my closets too and it sounded too flat. Also through Sweetwater you can send in the floor plan of your room if you draw it in Homestyler (free software, pretty quick to learn, just measure up your room first) and they will draw up a plan of what you need with all the specific sound panels, type, placement,etc. I started with that for my home studio / day office room, then did my closet, then ended up with a small PIB, the Isovox 2. So far so good! It would be good for Zoom calls actually, however, there is no camera in the one I am using, so if a camera is important for your Zoom, might be tricky unless you are using a phone for your video, then yes that would work. Good luck and let me know what you find out!

Mary

rogue1
          Participant

Thank you, Mary! Really appreciate all the great info! Your set-up with the Isovox sounds wonderful (as does the quality of your reads), I will definitely look into those. (When I was mentioning Zoom usage, I was eying the portable isolation booths on GIK Acoustics–they look like room dividers versus a more compact “bubble booth” like the Isovox). Will start with padding the closet and then explore/expand from there. Hopefully the audio improvement will be evident in my future posts! Again, many thanks for taking the time to respond!

CYeschenko
      Participant

Both the sound quality and pacing of the first clip fit the material best in my eyes! It flowed together very well, and the pacing was conversational but not slow enough to detract from the medium of a commercial. Some of the other ones had a solid emphasis on words as you went along but they were almost too emphasized for a commercial. Nice work!

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you, CY! Appreciate your taking the time to give your input. I agree that the first read sounds the most commercial, while the others might sacrifice pacing in trying too hard to emphasize certain words and phrases. Thanks for listening!

jasjol71
      Participant

I really liked the inflections in the fourth file!

rogue1
        Participant

Thanks, jasjoll71! Appreciate your listening and picking a favorite! I consider #4 was my “soft” read. 🙂

Toque
      Participant

Hi Rogue. To my ears, I would agree with you about take #1 sounding better from an audio quality perspective. Of the 4 reads, your delivery/style in read # 3 was the one I liked best. It felt truer to the content, pacing and intention of a piece like that. My only suggestion on that one would be that the pause between “happening” and “above you”, felt a bit extra, especially with there being another pause called for right after “above you”. Great job! Toque

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you, Toque! Yes, I definitely need to tweak my recording space for better audio quality. Appreciate your pick of read #3 and will certainly pay attention to not injecting too many pauses–there’s a lot of inherent drama in the script without making it too “extra”.

mkell755
    Participant

Hi everyone! Feeling in a guitar mood for some reason tonight. Here are a couple of recordings for any and all feedback. Thank you in advance!

Mary

Guild Guitars
    When you’ve played a guitar for years, every scratch, ding, and worn-down fret means something. The places you’ve been, the songs you’ve sung, the people you’ve shared your music with. That’s what a Guild is all about. Made to be played. Guild Guitars.

Sheryl Crow
    Long before she was a roots rock sensation, Sheryl Crow honed her skills by singing backup for Don Henley and Michael Jackson and jamming with other L.A.-based musicians in the Tuesday Night Music Club. But by the time her catchy single “All I Wanna Do” stormed the radio and earned her three Grammys in ’94, it was clear she’d make it as a solo singer/songwriter.

Attachments:
      jasjol71
      Participant

Your voice is really nice to listen to. Nothing to add, but I agree with Toque’s comments. Maybe just add a bit of emotion. I have listened to some of your other uploads. I think you have a ton of natural talent.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Jasjo171! That is really nice of you to say. I tend to struggle with emotion a bit, so it’s something I need to work on. Thanks!

Mary

Toque
      Participant

Great conversational reads again Mary. On the guitar piece, I would try to add some more emotion to it…like the guitar, and the memories of places and songs it has brought you to, are something that you absolutely love and cherish.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Toque! I’m glad it is coming across as more conversational. More emotion for Guild guitars is fitting; it is all about remembering what it took to get there. Thanks again!

Mary

rogue1
      Participant

Hi Mary! As always, a very inviting quality to your voice and performance—the music accompaniment you chose compliments those qualities very well. A few comments:

GUILD GUITARS: I would suggest perhaps slowing down a touch on the pace of your read. There’s a real “take your time” romance being described here with the rich history of the fret, rushing this tale seems counterintuitive to the mood. Let your read caress the script a bit more.

SHERYL CROW: Super nit-pick: Love that you improv-ed a lead-in (great way to ramp up quickly, I do it all the time) though you might want to snip it if you’re aiming to be adhere to the script.

As always, great work and a pair of rich reads. Well done!

mkell755
        Participant

Hi Rogue1, thanks for the feedback! Yes that makes sense to slow down Guild Guitars a bit – the script is describing something that happens over time that takes years to perfect, maybe like an aged whiskey type vibe, good tip. On the lead-ins I have been leaving them in but now that I know how to cut them out I will start doing that. Thanks again!

Mary

Chris Bookless
    Participant

Hello, all. Attached are homework assignments from coaching. I look forward to your feedback and thanks in advance!

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hi Chris, Both excellent reads. Very crisp, clear, and natural-sounding to the ear. There’s an authoritative resonance to both that is trustworthy without being overbearing (and the fact that you made the “legalese” of the first script inviting and easily digestible is especially impressive). As a bit of constructive criticism, I agree with Tom that the first line of the “conflict of interest” script is a touch muddy compared to the clarity of the balance of the script. Well done!

tomnunes
      Participant

Chris, these are both great. And a very nice contrast between the two. For the “conflict of interest” read, you sounded very helpful without falling in the trap of becoming “bossy” or “a know-it-all”. The beginning words were a bit unclear to me and seemed to run together. You may want to make them clearer. And the Metropolis Superman Museum was really nice. I wanted to her more. Nothing technical to note. The words were clear here. Well done.

chas82
    Participant

Hi everyone – beautiful blue skies and bright sunny day here – what a recipe for mood improvement!
    Here’s scripts from different genres, Commercial and Narration. I recently finished my Narration demo and the Commercial is scheduled in 3 weeks. Trying to find shorter, punchier commercial scripts while not neglecting “what’s in the can”.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Chas

Somewhere in the Caribbean, there are 5-star luxury resorts where it’s all-inclusive, all the time. Sandals, where love is all you need. Because everything else is included. Call 1-800-Sandals.

Welcome to the planet earth. A place of blue nitrogen skies, oceans of liquid water, cool forests, soft meadows. A world positively rippling with life. From the cosmic perspective, it is, for the moment, unique. The only world on which we know with certainty that the matter of the cosmos has become alive, and aware. There must be many such worlds scattered through space, but our search for them begins here, with the accumulated wisdom of the men and women of our species, acquired at great cost, over a million years.

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hi Chas! You have a lovely instrument, very rich and resonant. Your reads are also quite polished and accomplished. As you have the craft down cold, I would agree with aylinsings and Chris Bookings that you might now try to inject a bit more emotion into the scripts. Both subjects seem to beg a “sense of wonder” that you might try dialing up in subsequent takes. Well done! Keep up the great work!

aylinsings
      Participant

Great job Chas! You have such a wonderful voice.

I have nothing to say about the Planet Earth one. I thought it was engaging and it sounded like you really enjoyed what you were talking about.

Sandals, on the other hand, didn’t sound like you enjoyed it as much. Make sure to really envision that nice beautiful beach. It is an adults only resort so don’t be afraid to sound a little more ‘flirty’ lol. That is what is missing. Otherwise, it is a great take!

Aylin

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by aylinsings.
      Chris Bookless
      Participant

Hi, Chas! You’ve got a great voice! Your levels sound good as far as I can tell but I hear some room reflection. Also a bump around the 6 sec point. You sound like you understand the material but it sounds like you’re reading it. You seem to fall into a rhythm. Forget the punctuation. Focus on how you want the listener to respond. Really picture that beautiful imagery and let it move you! You can get it!

acbattag
    Participant

Happy Friday! I’m considering this for my demo and would love your critic. Trying to determine which I like better… Appreciate any feedback you have!

“It’s happening more often, and it’s not surprising. People are seeking out new places, trying new things. And discovering the best part is often hidden in the the journey along the way. Find yourself , in the Mazda CX30.”

Attachments:
      jasjol71
      Participant

I listened to both, and agree that they are both very similar… I think Chris gave a great suggestion (letting someone in on a secret). Or maybe just a hint of seduction in the delivery…? Very nice voice, btw.

acbattag
        Participant

Thank you so much! I tried as a “secret” and it sounds way better!

rogue1
      Participant

Hello! Excellent reads! Both are crisp, clear, and polished. One thing I might suggest is injecting a bit of emotion into your performance to make it a touch more conversational and a touch less like a script read (which is something I struggle with all the time). “…the best part is often hidden in the journey along the way. Find yourself in the Mazda CX30” are quite aspirational ideas, and as you’re selling the transformative experience that is driving a Mazda, that might be a meaty place to play up the energy/emotion. Really accomplished work! Great job!

Chris Bookless
      Participant

Hey there! I think they’re fine but to be honest I don’t think they sound very different. As far as your interpretation it’s almost there. I think you’re just missing a little something. Try it as though you’re letting someone in on a secret.

There’s a hum in the background. Maybe an AC or furnace? Also, I can hear the room a bit.

acbattag
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Chris!

jasjol71
    Participant

Hello, everyone! I’m Jason. Working on a narration demo. These are from a couple of scripts I sourced. One is a mindfulness/meditation script (not my forte, since I have never meditated!), and the other is an audio guide for a Frank Lloyd Wright house. I look forward to your suggestions, and thanks in advance!

Attachments:
      Chris Bookless
      Participant

Good job. I’d say both pieces could be slowed down; don’t rush. For the first one you want the listener to take the time to follow your instructions. For the second you want the listener to be able to take in what they’re looking at.

Also on the meditation track breathe with the listener.
      “Feel yourself breathing in” (slow breath in) “and feel your self breathing out” (slow breath out)

jasjol71
        Participant

Great advice, Chris. I appreciate that! Thanks for listening!

acbattag
      Participant

Jasjol71 –
      WOW – YES on the meditation! I’m IN! I’d definitely listen to you and actually got relaxed listening to the demo. Honestly I don’t have a lot of great feedback for you on either except on the technical piece in editing – you sound a bit echoed in your room and can hear breaths along the way. Honestly, wish I could give you more – GREAT job!

Amber

jasjol71
        Participant

Thanks, Amber. I appreciate that. I should have mentioned I don’t have a decent studio setup yet! Just recording on a USB mic from my office on campus. Thanks for pointing out how important that is. I can definitely hear the breaths too… oops! Thanks again!

Michelle
    Participant

Good evening! I look forward to the feedback!

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hi Michelle! Really lively, effortless, energetic read! If I had any nit-picks it would be to echo acbattag’s comment that you might want to snip the top and tail of your record so we don’t hear the incidental clicks and bumps your mic is picking up. Well done!

acbattag
      Participant

Hi Michelle!
      I really like your energy as well – I could actually see this (and a person on camera saying this). Are you working on editing as well? I noticed in the intro you had some clicks and I can hear your breaths on occasion. If you aren’t editing yet, this is really great raw. When you say “there’s a world in here..” the inflection is really similar to the prior phrase. I would try changing that up a bit for some variety. I love the “great indoors” – really love how you did that part.
      Have fun!
      -Amber

jasjol71
      Participant

Michelle, I liked the energy and the inflections in your voice!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.